chapter 2

I've got cupcakes

               Sojung followed meekly behind the shorter girl, who was she, where did she transfer from, what was her special ability, what was her drive? Her own stuff was already setup in the senior towers, seeing as she had been there the whole year long for all three years, she had moved in during the summertime so she only had to help Eunbi move in. She had seen her little sister, but she wasn’t quite sure it was her little sister, they hadn’t met in the last three years and three years could mean a lot of growth. She knew that Yewon was Yewon, but she felt a little awkward having not spoken for so long.

“So, what school are you going to be placed in?”

“I…I don’t belong to a school.”

               This was odd, every student at this academy belonged to a school, the basic magic affinity one had was simple to figure out. If Eunbi didn’t belong to any schools, then where would she be taking her classes? They walked in silence until a counselor that Sojung knew walked over to join them.

“Unnie.”

“Sojung. Hello, I’m your counselor for the year. Kang Jihyun, you may call me Soyou.”

               Shaking hands with Eunbi, Soyou gave Sojung a kind smile that the senior had to shiver at, something was going to happen. Premonition kicked in and Sojung kept her guard up. She watched her trusted counselor carefully for her body language, Soyou was calm, relaxed even. If it wasn’t alarming to the counselor, then was it not that serious? Her premonition was able detect things that made her uncomfortable, often times it was in battle, for her to dodge a deathly strike, or to save a person in the field.

“You don’t belong in any school because Sojung will be your mentor.”

“Mentor? I knew that I didn’t really excel at either element, but I thought that was just me being slow.”

“Sojung as a senior has a good grip on all the elements, we intend that you become a well-rounded individual.”

“But-“

“No buts, you’ll do great.”

               Sojung rubbed her arm, she had wanted a partner because she was lonely, especially on the battlefield that she often had to go to as a senior student. She wasn’t invincible, and she knew her own weaknesses. Following quietly, she wondered if she would do a good job, teaching a sophomore. Sighing silently, she relaxed as she figured out that being a mentor was what triggered her premonition. She had never taught anyone anything before, besides her little sister when they still went to the same school. Even then she only taught the basic of the basics, her little sister was just starting to learn magic when she had left for this academy. This mentoring was going to be a journey she and Eunbi would have to work out, maybe there would be a guide she could follow? She really hoped there was a list of materials she could follow to teach her partner.


“After Eunbi gets tested at the health center, you may take her to the first team dorm and fully get to know each other. I know you have issues making friends, Sojung.”

“I do not! I’m just a little shy, that’s all.”

“You weren’t this shy though? We became closer in an instant.”

               Keeping an eye on Eunbi still, Sojung continued to converse with Soyou, complaining that it was perhaps, the counselor’s friendliness that allowed her to relax. Eunbi was walking, but it seemed like she wasn’t paying attention. Noticing that they were reaching the health center, Sojung quickly moved to stand in front of Eunbi, blocking her way and looking her in the eyes as the shorter halted and looked up at her.

“Are you okay? You seem distracted.”

“I’m fine, just a little homesick and nervous.”

“A-are you sure? The health center is going to give you a full check-up, with blood test and everything, I don’t want you to end up fainting on me.”

“That will probably be fine, I’m just a little scared of needles.”

               Sojung kept that in mind and kept to herself that a vaccination shot was going to occur along with the check-up. If Eunbi was scared of needles, then she’d rather not tell her to scare her more, the girl was homesick after all. Standing aside for Eunbi to enter the center, she followed closely behind until the nurses kept her behind the curtain. She sat patiently on the bench, maybe Eunbi would be fine, more like hopefully. Pulling out her school issued phone, she checked which wing Eunbi’s dorm room would be, she was still going to stay in her senior tower room because she wasn’t going to be around a lot of the time, as a senior she was already assigned missions to tag along the professionally licensed warriors to clear out the creatures of the dark in the outer regions.

               Surprised by the dinging sound of a message, she fumbled her phone a little, as she was without a team, or partner the last three years, it was rare that she ever received messages other than the friends she made here at the cafeteria. Tapping open the chat, she found that it was the group chat for team one. Reading the text quickly, she frowned a little, this Yerin was super nervous about being a leader, she could tell even through the small amount of words telling them to gather at a meeting later. It sounded stiff, and unsure of themselves. It wasn’t her place to tell the younger to change, she knew of Yerin, but only as the ace of the junior year, and this wasn’t her team to boss around, she was just the senior their fellow roommate was partnered with.

               Quickly sending a response that informed them that they would be a little late, Sojung jumped when a yelp sounded from behind the curtain.  Getting up to see what was wrong, she hurried to the curtain and stood on her tippy toes to see over, it wasn’t like she was a boy peeping on another girl anyways. With her eyes just above the top edge of the curtain stand, she relaxed as she just saw Eunbi wincing at the needle in her arm, it was just a vaccine.  Going back to sit down, Sojung wondered to herself why they were here. Wasn’t it that all students had to get their checkups before entering campus? That was yesterday, she even helped out at the tents set up outside the school grounds, the academy was very careful about what degree of health was allowed into the school, in case a widespread disease could spread. She grimaced as she remembered how last year, a boy’s team accidentally caused panic throughout the school when they had contracted lice from not showering often enough. The professors and staff were alarmed because they had no idea where the lice came from, but Sojung could guess that it was because they played around outside before coming back from a mission.

“Sunbae-nim.”

“Just call me Sowon.”

“Sowon?”

               Eunbi’s cute tilt of her head at the nickname made Sowon smile. Offering her hand for Eunbi to take, Sowon just beamed as she answered, glad that her partner wasn’t afraid of her as much as the other students. Maybe it was because she was a transfer, maybe it was because she didn’t know her, either way, it was a welcome experience.

“It’s my field name. I’m sure you’ll get one too.”

“Ah, right. For confidentiality of our identities. Then, Sowon-ssi shall we go to team one’s dorm?”

“Eh hey! Call me Sowon unnie and I’ll take you there, I want us to be comfortable with each other before we get comfortable with the others.”

               Listening to Sowon’s insistence, Eunbi repeated herself and called her properly, making Sowon smile more. Offering a hand, Sowon calmed down a little, toning down her excitement.

“Then, Eunbi ah. Let’s go meet your new friends.”

“Sowon unnie, I’m sure they’ll be your friends too.”

               Eunbi could only watch as Sowon shook her head sadly, she didn’t know what it meant at the time, but it made her feel slightly concerned for the older. Was Sowon a bad person? Did she have a bad reputation? Taking Sowon’s hand, she let the older lead the way. Their height difference was really too much she thought, their hands didn’t even match up right.

================

hohohoho, just hold your hands differently then~ I know you guys know what I mean hahaha wonha has a really cute way of holding hands~