chapter 3

I've got cupcakes

               Eunbi held on to Sowon’s hand delicately, was she sweating? Was she pulling down on the taller’s arm too much? She kept her elbow at a right angle to make sure that she wasn’t dragging the older down. The walk to the west wing was long and she had observed as the other students were moving in to their dorms with their teams or their partners. Following along as Sowon pulled her behind herself to block the other people from bumping into her, she blushed just slightly in the act of kindness. Sometimes she dealt with a bit of bullying from the taller kids, they’d say that she was so short they couldn’t see her and give a heartless apology. How did that even happen? She wasn’t that short, in fact in middle school she was the tallest in her class.

               Bumping into Sowon’s back she softly apologized before realizing that they had come to a complete halt in the middle of the hall. Peeking around Sowon’s arm, Eunbi saw another girl blocking the way purposely.

“Sojung.”

“Nayeon.”

               Eunbi fretted slightly, if they addressed each other informally, then they were the same age, or they were really close friends. But if they were really close friends, why would they be giving each other the most deadliest glares? She hoped that she wouldn’t be getting into trouble before even getting into her dorm. As Sowon pulled her hand forwards, Eunbi panicked for a split second, tightening her grip on Sowon’s hand automatically as she was pushed forwards a little.

“So, this is going to be your partner.”

“Do not call her this, she has a name.”

“And what would that be? Runt?”

“Her name is Eunbi and you will stop acting high and snobby right this instant Im Nayeon.”

Eunbi looked between the two seniors desperately, what was going on? Why was Sowon giving her name away? Was she a target now? Why did she have to end up switching to this academy? But before she ducked to hide away, Eunbi noticed a grin appear on Nayeon’s face and Sowon relax. Letting the tallest throw her arm over her shoulder in a friendly manner, she remained very still, she didn’t know why Sowon was alone all these years yet, maybe this was why?

“Aw, you’re no fun Sojung!”

“What do you mean no fun? You’ve scared her plenty enough. Are you alright Eunbi?”

               Sowon looked Eunbi in the eyes carefully to make sure that she wasn’t scared only to find her eyes slightly darting around a bit, a sign of fear. Hugging the shorter gently she patted Eunbi’s back lightly.

“Hey, it’s okay, that’s just my friend who plays too many pranks on people. And if you’re going to be my protégé like everyone is expecting of you, these petty acts shouldn’t bother alright? Hold you head high, let me see your cute face, hm?”

“I-I wasn’t that scared….”

 

“Is that so? That’s good then, we can just ignore Nayeon the next time we see her alright? Team one is waiting for us at your dorm.”

               Leaving a whining Nayeon behind who was somewhat hollering things about Sowon behind them as they left, Eunbi smiled a little. Sowon seemed to be a nice girl, she had a little humor as well. Nayeon did holler one thing that she was curious about, “don’t get too attached to your first partner!” Eunbi knew that she was the only partner that Sowon ever had, thus, Sowon’s first partner was indeed herself. What was wrong with being attached to each other? As partners they were going to do a lot of things toge- Eunbi’s mind halted when she realized something that was looming on her mind. It was true, not to get too attached to anyone in this line of work. You could die in your next battlefield. Feeling a chill through her body, she remained quiet behind Sowon.

“Are you nervous?”

“A little.”

“Well, since I don’t stay here, I don’t have the key, you’re on your own for this part.”

               Pulling out her school issued phone, Eunbi tapped on the home icon and pulled up the scanner bar, tapping it to the reader and reached for the door handle when it flashed green, only to have an arm circle around her waist and shove her aside. Sowon held her protectively, her back to the door as another girl was holding the handle on the other side, a smaller girl holding onto the door itself to prevent it from opening further.

“Sojung unnie?”

“Y-yewon ah.”

               Eunbi watched as Sowon relaxed and let go of her, turning to look at this Yewon. Sowon rubbed the back of her neck nervously. Her premonition had kicked in the moment Eunbi was moving to open the door, Yuna was going to open it at the same time, only Eunbi would be hit by the door because the door swung outwards for some random reason. With that, she chose to move Eunbi out of the way, but Yewon had grabbed the door before it would’ve hit Eunbi, leaving the Kim siblings awkwardly making eye contact.

“I uh…..”

“My premonition kicked in, so it wasn’t like I was doing anything wrong to Eunbi okay?”

“Oh, it looked like you were kissing her at this angle unnie.”

“Hey! I know that you know that it isn’t true!”

               The siblings giggled as they teased each other lightly before hugging in reunion.

“I missed you Yewon ah.”

“Me too unnie but let me tell you something that’ll make you proud.”

“What is it? Is it better than being in team one?”

“My skill is also premonition, so I caught the door in time because it kicked in.”

               Hugging again, Sowon and Yewon giggled to each other automatically catching up as if three years apart had done nothing to their relationship, a cough caught their attention, quieting them quickly.

“My name is Yerin, Jung Yerin. We have a dorm meeting to conduct, so I suggest we go inside first.”

“Of course, I’m just going to sit in. But I think you could do with a little relaxing.”

“What?”

“You’re stiff like crazy. I won’t eat you, ace of the Junior year.”

“Wh-what? I’m no ace.”

“You are, and you know who I am.”

               Yerin hesitated to say Sowon’s title, looking at her feet as she had automatically gathered her hands in front of her politely. Yuna looked at everyone carefully, Eunbi was just watching the whole ordeal quietly, still standing in hallway. Pulling her in by the elbow, she offered her fellow sophomore a reassuring smile.

“The Kim Sowon, slayer of a thousand beasts.”

“Man, I could really do without that title. I was only doing my job.”

               Sowon offered a kind smile, offering her hand to Yerin to shake. The junior took it, but immediately retracted.

“Is it true that they’re using you on the field already?”

“Yes.”

“Then is it true that you don’t have a partner because you killed the last one?”

               Everyone turned to the last person in the dorm, Hwang Eunbi. She had a stare deadly enough to petrify anyone it was intended for. Sowon averted her eyes instinctively, why would her premonition trigger?

“It’s wrong to use your ability in school campus if your ability is harmful to students.”

“How’d you know that?”

“Premonition, your eyes are your ability, isn’t it?”

Sowon looked back at the younger Eunbi.

“I’m guessing that it’s a lie detector.”

===================

Later than yesterday because my schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays are different, so, what do you think? Did Sowon kill a partner before? And is SinB's power really lie detector?

The premonition thing, I don't think I explained it well enough, but it's rare in this universe, seeing as it can save lives if utilized properly, it allows the holder to react one to two seconds before something happens, for daily dormant times, it is still active compared to others who have to activate their abilities, leaving them with the annoyance of being alerted every time they're about to stub their toe, to when someone is about to call on them. Mostly on discomfort and danger.