chapter 27

I've got cupcakes

Sowon stared at the paper cross eyed as Yuju and Umji conversed in their newly developed language. Somehow, some way, these two were able to understand each other. Going through the “dictionary” they gave her, Sowon’s eyes just spun in circles as she couldn’t get a good grip on the language. Looking over to the other couch to see SinB playing a fighting game on her phone, she was irritated slightly.

“Why are you playing games? Don’t tell me you’ve already learned this language?”

SinB paused her game and looked up at Sowon with a bored expression.

“Lie detector.”

“Huh?”

“So long as they can say their name, I can tell if it’s them or not. Well, I guess unless there’s someone else that has the same exact birthday and birthname as each of us.”

Sowon groaned as SinB turned back to her phone, smashing small figures of darkness and wielding a blade of blood. Of course, so long as SinB asked a person to say their birthname and birthday, her lie detector could tell her whether or not this person was a fake.

“You lucky duck. How am I going to learn this? Can’t we just tell each other a secret? Besides, even if SinB can identify us, how can we identify her?”

Sowon whined uncharacteristically when Eunha wandered out of her room, finally awake from her deep slumber.

“Eunha yah! You slept for over 13 hours! Come help me learn this language!”

“Hm? Language?”

In her half awake stupor, Eunha sat herself on Sowon’s lap, her left arm hooked around Sowon’s shoulders to stabilize herself as she read over the “dictionary” in Sowon’s hands. Oddly, Sowon didn’t react either, was she just okay with skinship in general? Umji watched curiously, her hand reaching out to push Yerin’s jaw back up.

“Um, Unnie?”

“Yes? My dearest little sister?”

Sowon was apparently in a better mood, Umji blinked several times to make sure her sister was alright. Tapping SinB’s shoulder, she whispered for her partner to confirm Sowon’s identity as well as Eunha’s.

“Sowon unnie, state your birth name and birthday.”

“Hm? Kim Sojung, December 7th 1995.”

“She’s not lying.”

SinB looked down at her phone, then back up at Umji. Putting her phone away, shse then moved to look Eunha in the eyes.

“Eunha unnie, state your birth name and birthday.”

“You don’t know my birthday? I’m Jung Eunbi, born May 30th 1997.”

Snuggling against Sowon a little more, Eunha looked back at the papers that Sowon had trouble understanding. SinB scooted back to Umji’s side.

“You think they’re like this when we’re not around?”

“Maybe? I never knew my sister was so….”

“Flirty?”

“I guess you could say that.”

They watched the duo with curiosity. It was clear that Eunha wasn’t quite conscious of what she was doing, but her reaction when she realized it, would it be embarrassment? Or just confusion?

Yerin dropped SinB a five-dollar bill.

“In a bit, Eunha’s going to blush and run to the bathroom.”

Yuju dropped a ten in Umji’s hands.

“I say she’s just not going to get off of Sowon unnie’s lap until they have to.”

Yerin pouted and handed SinB another ten, but Yuju just chuckled and shook her head, leaving the bet at ten and fifteen dollars each.

“Eunha unnie, are you comfortable?”

Eunha turned around a little to see SinB.

“Mm. Who made this by the way? It’s super interesting, right Sowon un…”

Eunha quietly got off of Sowon’s lap and sat besides her. A few seconds passed before she then whined and covered her face with the papers. Sowon just smiled and put her arm around Eunha’s shoulders.

“That’s cute.”

“Noooooo!”

Yerin cheered a little, taking back her fifteen and taking Yuju’s ten as well. She waved it teasingly in front of Yuju who was just chuckling good naturedly.

“You can have it unnie, I don’t really care for gambling after all.”

With puffed cheeks, Yerin got up in Yuju’s face, real close.

“Then why’d you do it in the first place?”

“To amuse you, you’re kinda cute sometimes unnie.”

SinB watched with a judging look, yuck, couples everywhere. Looking at Umji, SinB swallowed harshly. Since when was her partner’s side profile so beautiful? Umji had her eyebrows crinkled but she was still so ethereal in her eyes.

“Something’s not right.”

Umji looked around the room. This was too much. Even if she knew that Yuju and Yerin were slowly becoming closer and closer as the days went by, this was too much. Eunha sitting in Sowon’s lap, she had no explanation for, it seemed like too much, but then again she had no idea what they did in break times during their training sessions. Something was nagging at her in the back of her head.

“Premonition?”

Then her nose picked up a scent that she had been learning recently in class. Running to her room and grabbing her notebook, she flipped through it hurriedly, ignoring the paper cut she got on her thumb in her hastiness. SinB walked over, still dazed by Umji’s look, but for some reason, being closer to Umji made her head clearer. Clear enough for her to notice that Umji was worried.

“Yewon?”

“Eunbi ah, tell me if you feel any different.”

Closing her eyes and concentrating on her hands, Umji gathered her energy inside herself in a deep breath, exhaling, she added a magical touch to her breath.

SinB’s half lidded eyes blinked in confusion before clearing.

“Oh my god.”

“What is it?”

“I….”

“Tell me, do you feel any different?”

“I swear I didn’t mean to look at you like that.”

“Like what?”

SinB backed away slowly out of embarrassment as Umji looked at her funny.

“I didn’t mean to stare at you!”

Umji blinked as the gears turned in her head, finally finding a definition that matched the description of the flower that she had drawn as part of her notes, she hurried out to the living room again.

“There’s an illegal pollen in the air.”

Breathing it into herself, Umji had the power to cleanse any air she ingested into her body by directly treating it with magic inside herself. By neutralizing the pollen’s effect, Umji breathed back out to cleanse the air around her, allowing her nature magic to spread the neutralizing magic through the air in their room. She then moved to turn the air conditioning off.

The girls would come to their senses sooner or later, but there was one thing that poked the back of Umji’s mind besides the illegal truth serum/love potion. Eunha had snapped out of it on her own, realizing her embarrassment. SinB who was near her almost all the time had weakened effects, since Umji was basically a walking air freshener. Why Eunha?

===============

love potionssssss well I guess a love potion can make you honest you know?