chapter 22

I've got cupcakes

I know the pacing is a little weird, hang in there, and, don't be too surprised if things are moving way too fast, that's the point and I'll explain the point of this chapter at the end.

==============

Umji paced in front of the entryway, SinB hadn’t come back from her classes like she promised, not that she wasn’t a totally responsible individual who was capable of taking care of herself and possibly went to go buy snacks or the bathroom or SOMETHING!

She bit her thumb as she stared at the door, waiting and waiting. If SinB didn’t show up in half an hour, she was going to break the rules and find her, even if she was doing something like helping a professor. She’d find her and scold her, then hug her and demand that they return to dorm, their only safe haven.

Spotting the clock hit 11:30am, she slammed open the door and marched outside, Yuju hurriedly chased after her, grabbing her by the wrist.

“Yewon ah! You can’t go outside! You’ll be punished for breaking the rules!”

“The rules can go themselves.”

Yuju, who had never heard such profanity come out of Umji’s lips was frozen still until Yerin came out to retrieve her.

“Yuna? Hello? Yuna dear?”

“Oh my god.”

“What spooked you so badly?”

“Umji said .”

“What?”

“She said !”

“And you’re saying it now, I don’t understand why you’re-“

Yuju ran back inside to hide under her blanket, the world was a cruel place.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hwang Eunbi, the moment I find you I’m going to spank your and then apologize like a good girl.”

Umji ground her teeth as she marched her way to SinB’s classroom, not finding her partner there, she marched the whole length back to the dorm. No sign of SinB.

Dialing her partner’s number despite very careful of the school’s wired phones that the headmaster had yet to fix, Umji bit her lip as the call finally made it through.

“WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!”

“Um, who is this? If you’re looking for SinB student, you’ll need to come for interrogation.”

“Excuse me?”

“You didn’t know? This student murdered another in the jails last night.”

Umji paled as she heard another officer slap the boy who was talking to her on the phone, saying that it was confidential news.

“I can prove her innocence.”

“I’m sorry you weren’t supposed to kno- you what?”

“I can prove her innocence.”

Umji impatiently waited on any response before interrupting.

“Just tell me where to go.”

“A-ah there’s an elevator behind the dorm mistress’ office, take that to B3 and when you exit take two rights.”

“I’ll be there in five.”

Ending the call, Umji ran a hand through her hair. What could she say to prove that SinB was really with her last night besides just a human testimony? They really were together all night, SinB was watching over her from the moment they left the infirmary and got to dorm, they even slept in the same bed in order for SinB to be satisfied. Was an alibi enough to free her?

Grabbing her jacket, Umji left her phone at the dorm, not trusting it at all. Time to go argue for her partner back.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“You came into the jails yesterday night between the hours of 3am to 5am and killed the prisoner next to the illusionist girl.”

“Like I said, I didn’t do it. I don’t even know who that illusionist girl is.”

Sadly, the illusionist girl kept staring at her, as if she knew her, but she had refused to make a single bit of noise. Not being able to question the illusionist humanely, they only relied on their opinions, which led to SinB being super annoyed by what was happening.

“I swear, I bumped into a girl who switched my phone out.”

“Everything in this phone is yours, how can that be?”

“Because our school network has been wired.”

“Impossible.”

“Just get me the headmaster and you can ask him yourself.”

At that moment, the old man appeared in his clean cut glory, his tie a little crooked but his secretary straightened it for him when she realized.

“Our school network is not hacked.”

“Wha- you deceitful bastard!”

“You dare speak to the headmaster in that vulgar language?!”

“You know that the phones are wired! Sowon unnie talked this over with us! Unless she’s a part of your plan? To LIE to EVERYONE!??”

“What the hell is she saying sir?”

“Hey, calm. It’s fine. She doesn’t know what she’s saying. Just take her away and set out her punishment.”

SinB paled as the guards started to unchain her from her seat and pushed her to move.

“What the hell is wrong with this school….”

Despairing, SinB hung limply in the guard’s grip. The headmaster, the one guy in the school who kept secrets from everyone, was even keeping secrets from the guards. This wasn’t right in any way. Not even for a man trying to prevent mass hysteria.

“You’re a sick bastard.”

“Hm?”

SinB looked up, that was a familiar voice.

“You, young miss Kim, should be under room arrest.”

“And you, should check the facts before trying to send a person to the torture chamber.”

SinB shivered at the thought. Umji glanced at her with a slightly angry look, was she upset with SinB? Or was she just upset about the unfairness?

“I am her alibi. We were sleeping together in the same bed, all night long.”

“And how can you prove that she didn’t get up in the middle of the night as you were sleeping and do the deed?”

Umji steeled her glare and tore off one of her bandages on her neck, they were bruises from the fight previously, but it wasn’t like the headmaster knew that.

“Because she’s too tired to.”

SinB stared at Umji, what was she saying? Tired? She was never too tired to care for her, but she kept quiet.

“How would you prove that? Why did you pull off your bandages? That’s unsanitary.”

“To prove that we had .”

SinB choked and all the other males in the room’s eyes popped wide.

“Want me to prove it in person?”

Going over to SinB, she quickly held SinB’s cheek. She whispered softly.

“Do you trust me?”

SinB nodded slightly before Umji pressed her lips to hers harshly. The guards all backed off in surprise, the headmaster groaned and waved his hands in the air.

“Fine, she didn’t do it, you fools better conduct a better search for the murderer.”

“Yes sir!”

Umji held her head in her hands as SinB was getting released, she didn’t like that had to lie to prove SinB to get out, she didn’t like that she had forcefully taken SinB’s potential first kiss, and she really didn’t like the headmaster. Absolute hatred of that man. Feeling SinB’s warmth press against her back, Umji relaxed just the slightest. Taking her partner’s hand, Umji led the way out of the dungeon-esque jail hall.

=============

Umji's lie had to be realistic with provable evidence, all she has on her is her injuries that not many know about in great detail and can easily pass as...love bites. Whether or not this affects their relationship will be shown in the future, but this chapter was to provide insight on what happened after the message was delivered.

The person in the cell next to the illusionist was murdered, why they didn't suspect the illusionist fails to surprise me, these morons are wasting space in my brain but such is drama, and perhaps, it wasn't the illusionist. *wink wonk*