chapter 17

I've got cupcakes

Bursting into the area of the fight, Sowon tossed a fireball wrapped in some dust to create a semi smoke grenade as she picked Eunha off the ground and stood her against the tree.

“I’m here, relax just enough to catch your breath.”

Sowon stood between Eunha and the kidnapper, she didn’t see Umji anywhere.

“Where is the Kim?”

“She’s somewhere safe, what’s it to you?”

“You’ve got the wrong person.”

He looked confused and Sowon used that window of opportunity to burst forwards and right hook him in the face, knocking him to the ground. By putting her knee on his sternum, forcing him to take shallow breaths.

“Tell me where she is.”

“In..a-ahk a cave up there!”

He choked on his breath as Sowon pressed harder.

“It was easy to make you break, the person who sent you must be a dimwit if you got the wrong person.”

Getting up to kick him in the face with the back of her heel, she efficiently knocked him out as Eunha started off towards the mountain to find Umji. Even if they were not teammates, Eunha cared a lot for the girls in her dorm. Sowon went about to tying up the man with vines before going up after Eunha, it wasn’t that she didn’t care for Umji, being that she had to take a breath before coming here, and spending the time to tie this man up before looking for her, she simply trusted her sister and Eunha enough to care for themselves enough to be okay for a few extra seconds.

“I found her!”

Sowon nodded as she secured the infiltrator on a tree and calling the academy police force to come take him away. Taking a stride up to where Eunha was, Sowon stumbled for a second as her premonition kicked in but then faded away, almost as if something bad was going to happen, but they suddenly changed their minds. Looking around, there was nothing else out of the ordinary. There was something wrong and she was certain it was the illusionist/shape shifter that they hadn’t discovered. The pink eyed fool was not the one who tricked her as he didn’t activate his ability or it was just completely useless against Sowon.

Finding Umji unconscious in the cave that Eunha located, Sowon carefully picked her up to bring her back to her teammates.

“If this continues, I ought to just teach them all.”

“You would do well at that unnie.”

“You think? You seem to complain about our training sessions a lot however.”

“Only because it’s repetitive, but other than that, I think it really shows results, the way you teach.”

Nodding her head, Sowon sat down on a rock hugging Umji in her lap. Her baby sister whom she hadn’t seen in a few years until recently and still hadn’t fully become used to each other’s grown up selves, was laying in her arms unconscious. She tucked her head against Umji’s softly.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.”

Eunha sat nearby to help keep an eye on their new prisoner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What you girls did was reckless and unnecessary.”

“I stopped him from escaping! What the hell are you on about this time!?”

Sowon slammed her hands on the headmaster’s desk, clearly angry that he was scolding them, usually she’d be scolded for turning around and making sure her subordinates were okay but this time, when she had prioritized catching the bad guy with the assist from Eunha, she was being scolded for catching him.

“Other than that, you girls should have kept their phones on them, despite what Sowon had told you.”

Eunha winced as Sowon slapped her hand on her own forehead, how she hadn’t noticed their negligence to keep their phones was partially her fault for exposing that their phones were wired to some degree.

“Sir, by all means we deserve a punishment, but if what Sowon sunbae says is correct, we still have an infiltrator within the barrier capable of mimicking anyone on campus. Who’s to say they won’t pretend to be you?”

Yerin stepped forwards as she continued.

“Furthermore, I think that this is a matter that all the students deserve to know, no matter how dangerous it is, they deserve to be put on guard for anything out of the ordinary. Unless, you think that only the good students can detect the change on their own, which is wrong, because you’re never allowed to fight alone on the battlefield. There’s always a support or a partner.”

Eunha noted that Sowon rubbed her wrists where her metal cuffs were at. Her long sleeves were pulled over them again.

“I will discuss this with the council. And you, miss Jung. You have to go to your appointments, checkups are very important to us maintaining your health.”

Biting her lip as she looked to the ground, she tried to ignore the stare from Sowon that seemed to pierce her sharper than any blade she had ever felt before. Of course Sowon would find out, of course she knew that checkups this often was out of the ordinary. There was no way for her to keep it a secret any longer, not from her mentor at least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Our infiltrator hasn’t been caught?”

“No sir.”

“And the one we intended to get caught is caught?”

“Of course, sir.”

“Good. Let them take the bait, soon they will all fall into my trap.”

“As you wish sire, should I cut off communications with the one in their custody?”

“Go ahead, his usefulness is now gone.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chungha hummed as she wandered the halls of the school, shrieking when hands grabbed at her from a shadow.

“Shhh! It’s just Sojung.”

“Omoyah! Don’t do that! Like how do you even blend into the darkness for such a huge giant!”

Sowon slapped Chungha’s arm lightly, but the other senior still stumbled a few steps.

“What is it Sojung?”

“I just wanted to make sure that you knew, of all the people I know, you know, I wanted to make sure that you at least would be safe.”

Chungha was perplexed, Sowon usually didn’t act this way and she had an off feeling about this situation being very weird.

“Wait a second, you…”

When she grabbed hold of Sowon’s wrist, something in her clicked and then she smiled.

“Actually never mind, what is it Sowon ah?”

This wasn’t the real Sojung, not when they weren’t wearing the magic enhanced cuffs that Chungha delivered to her as a parting gift from an old friend.

=====================

more on Sowon's history soon! more on Eunha's history as well!