chapter 25

I've got cupcakes

When the clock hit 11pm, SinB waited precisely one second before a knock sounded. Opening it cautiously, she peeked out, concentrating on the guest’s eyes.

“What is your birth name?”

“Kim Sojung.”

Confirming that it wasn’t a lie, SinB let Sowon in. She seemed tired, and a little dirtier than she remembered.

“Is that blood on your knuckles?”

“Not mine.”

Casually taking a seat in the couch again, Sowon just flopped, drained. It was not really a physical tiredness, rather a mental tiredness. She’d seen too much and experienced too much too close to home. Soyou was her favorite, most trusted counselor that took care of her all the years she had been at the school, she listened when she was depressed about being alone, she was there to treat her to food on her birthdays, but now that counselor was laying in the infirmary.

“You are going to wash your hands before you touch anything in this dorm. And for goodness sake, take a shower! I’ll lend you some of Yuju’s clothes.”

“Huh? Wait? Yerin unnie, those are my clothes to decide.”

“Well, will you help our sunbae out?”

“Of course, but unnie you just-“

“That’s that! Yuna go get an outfit and Sowon unnie, get in that shower! I can’t have anyone filthy in my dorm!”

Yerin smile made everyone relax, the atmosphere was tense, from the moments leading up to 11pm, to the moment Sowon made it back safely. They really worried if Sowon didn’t make it back on time what had happened.

Gathering into a small meeting in the living room as Sowon took her shower, Yerin pulled Eunha to talk with them.

“What do you know about Sowon unnie?”

“Eh? Shouldn’t you ask her sister for more stuff like that?”

“No no, Yewon hasn’t seen her for the last three years. You’re the one who knows the present her, best.”

Eunha nodded, that logic was right, wait huh?

“Hey! What we do together the most anyways is train, reignite and dodge her attempts to put it out for as long as possible!”

Yerin raised and eyebrow and gave an accusing hum.

“And where did you stay last night, you weren’t in the infirmary when Yuna went to go check on you.”

“That’s-“

Yuju wiped a fake tear, adding to Yerin’s comedic interrogation method, it was light hearted and almost teasing. Even Umji who was slightly on the edge smiled.

“I mean-“

Eunha’s stutters only made it worse for the girls, their naughty grins spreading wider and wider with each stutter.

“I-…..I stayed in Sowon unnie’s room.”

Sighing in defeat, Eunha hung her head low and avoided their gazes.

“She wanted to make sure that I was safe, that’s all.”

“Hm? What about the other times?”

“The same reason.”

They all jumped as Sowon reappeared, dressed in Yuju’s spare clothes that seemed just a tad bit short for her, as seen by how high the ends of the pants legs hung over her ankles.

“Eunha yah, do you mind if we share your bed tonight?”

“Th-that’s fine.”

Yerin was about to make a comment, but SinB nudged her side harshly, catching Yuju’s watchful glare.

“And you, Jung Yerin. Call your team members by their field name. You don’t want to tell the enemy their true identities.”

“But my field name and my real name are the same! What does that make me?”

“Nothing, just a bit unlucky or lucky, whichever you prefer.”

Snapping her fingers once, a glob of water pulled off of Sowon’s hair and she dropped it in the sink. Snap two, a flame lit up in her palm before sinking into her skin and making her skin glow, like a metal stuck in a fire, glowing hot. Running her hand through her hair, it was instantly dried and straightened before she tied it up in a simple braid to keep out of her way.

“Come on everyone, it’s been a long day, let’s get to bed.”

Sowon made note of the broken window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was early morning when Sowon went to grab Yerin out of bed.

“What is it unnie?”

She tiredly rubbed her eyes as Sowon continued to tug her out into the bathroom to force her to get ready.

“Last night, I took some time to think about what’s going on, the only people we can interrogate is the illusionist and Umji’s kidnapper, I say interrogate, but it’s more of learning about them. I had received a call before returning back that the illusionist was back in another cell, on B6, the floor where the kidnapper is also kept at.”

“Don’t you think it’s too early to be dragging me into this?”

Yerin stuck her toothbrush in , brushing halfheartedly.

“Yes, but I have no choice. I need your skill set to watch my back.”

“And wush dat mwean?”

“Your being there will give them a slight deter as your position as the Ace of the junior year.”

Yerin rinsed and gargled, her eyes now properly open.

“You need a distraction then?”

Receiving a nod in the mirror, Yerin sighed.

“Alright, let’s go after I tell Yuna to watch the others.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Brushing past the guards easily Sowon and Yerin got into the elevator, pressing the B6 button. A guard had come with them, just for a precautionary gesture, for their safety. Kind of.

“You two can stay in the elevator, Yerin keep him company.”

“Miss I must insist that I go wi-“

“No, you’re going to chat with me. How’s your day sir?”

Yerin toyed with a ball of flames between her hands as Sowon ran off along the hall of cells.

Finding the kidnapper laying down in a cot in his cell, Sowon rapped her knuckles on the metal door, rousing him from his sleep. When he came to however, he ran up to the bars immediately with a frantic look.

“Look, lady, whoever you are, you have to believe me! I didn’t kidnap a person! I don’t even know where I am!”

Sowon hesitantly put down her reflexive fist, the bars were just wide enough for her to fit a good swing of a punch in if necessary, but this man seemed off. Checking a few empty cells over, she confirmed that this time, the illusionist was tied to a chair. Going back to the kidnapper she had taken down before, she stared. What was different?

Umji got kidnapped by a masked person with pink eyes, Yuju was knocked out when she tried to get her back, they went that way.”

Those were the exact words that Yerin had said to her that night of the kidnapping, but looking at this man, he had no hint of pink anywhere in his eyes, but it was undoubtedly the same man. She had seen him after demasking him when they took him in.

“What do you mean you didn’t kidnap anyone? I was the person who defeated you and freed your captive.”

“I’m serious! I’m telling the truth! I don’t know what you’re talking about! All I remember is that before I apparently have a memory gap, was being mugged in the alleys when I was drunk! That was three weeks ago!”

Sowon hummed and walked back to the cell with the illusionist in it. She appeared to be drugged and securely tied this time. Going back out, she ignored the pleas of the supposedly innocent man.

“We’re done here.”

===================

spoilers: that man really is innocent, but he really was the one who took Umji