chapter 30

I've got cupcakes

Eunha looked around in a frenzy, the forest around her looking the same in every direction she turned to. She had no idea where she was anymore. Picking a direction and running, Eunha ignored the burning pain in her sides as her lungs did their best to supply her body with enough oxygen.

Were the people gone? Was her family safe? She really hoped that they were, if she knew where she was, she’d turn and go back home and be there with her family, despite her orders to run.

Finding a large tree with an alcove under its roots, she tucked herself as small as she could into the space to catch her breath. Her hand was glowing, the symbol of it shining brightly as she tried to cover it with her shirt. They couldn’t possibly see her in the dark, other than her obviously glowing hand.

“Where is she!?”

“I don’t know!”

“Look around the area! She can’t have gotten far!”

She debated whether to run or not, to stay hidden or not. If she had found this alcove in the dark, they could too. Opting to run, she crawled out on all fours before dropping into the tall grass and army crawling away.

“Hey! The grass is moving over there!”

“You idiot! You should’ve stayed quiet!”

Eunha panicked and jumped up to run, they knew where she was. Springing forwards on her back heel, she kicked back the dirt roughly as she took off in a random direction, until a clearing she recognized appeared.

“No.”

The familiar stone houses, the browned brick roofs, the garden. Eunha faltered in her steps as she neared her front yard. Everything was trampled, all her flowers, all her hard work to treat the soil until it was suitable for these flowers, everything was gone.

She looked at her house, tears b in her eyes. The door hung on one hinge, the windows smashed. There was a leg in the doorway, but before she could go check, her older brother appeared out of nowhere and pulled her away.

“Eunbi! We have to go! Now!”

“Oppa.”

“You have to make it to Source academy! You have to!”

“Why? Why should I care?”

“Because the sun needs you! Remember the prophecy?”

Daein was nearly carrying her, with her unwillingness to leave her destroyed home.

“All of this will be for nothing!”

“What?”

“All of this will be for nothing if you don’t go! Please. Please don’t let this hold you down. We’ve worked so hard for this chance.”

“Chance?”

Daein appeared to regret his words, did he say too much? And what was that too much? Chance? This was an opportunity? She no longer had any idea on what was going on. Feeling cold all of a sudden, she looked up at her brother, who looked back horrified. Following his eyes, Eunha looked down.

“Ah.”

She coughed once. The warm liquid that filled was metallic and bad to taste. Was that her own blood? She reached for the end of the spear that was stuck in her side. Daein grabbed her hand away from it, snapping the spear from its rod on his knee, he lifted her and ran for it.

And when she came to, she was already at Source academy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunha shivered as Sowon hugged her. When she was telling her story, Sowon had moved up to comfort her, her arms wrapped around her shoulders gently, her thumb rubbing soft circles on Eunha’s skin.

“I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be. It wasn’t your fault.”

Silence enveloped them for a few seconds before Sowon moved. Laying down on Eunha’s bed, she tugged Eunha to lay on top of her, laying Eunha’s head against her chest.

“Unnie this-“

“Shh, it’s calming.”

Sowon ran her fingers through Eunha’s mid length hair.

“My side of the story is much less, disturbing, if that’s an appropriate word.”

Her eyes seemed to look far away as she remembered.

“I didn’t actually get this passed down on me. I know you said it was the mark of your people. I don’t know if a people exist for this mark. But I did know the girl who originally had this mark.”

“Originally? It was transferred to you?”

Sowon nodded.

“Remember, I told you guys about the previous lie detector girl?”

“You can’t be saying-“

“That’s right. She was the one who bore this mark before. She died a premature death, I was trying to help her find a clue to find you, but the student outrage over her skill and the accident, the prophecy couldn’t end there.”

“Did it choose you?”

“Sadly.”

Sowon breathed an even sigh.

“I guess it was because I was around her so much.”

“You won’t tell me her name?”

“I can’t, and no one else can either. It’s a curse, for her failing her prophecy.”

“What?”

Eunha’s hands had remained still on the bed, but she now drew them up to hug Sowon, tucking her hands under Sowon’s shoulder blades.

“It’ll probably be the same for me, if I fail. No one will ever know my name, or even remember it.”

“But what is it that you have to do? I’m supposed to help you, you said I was your sacrifice?”

Sowon was uncomfortable. She didn’t want to talk about it, not to the person she was going to kill to save the world. But was killing Eunha necessary? She didn’t believe so.

“The prophet, who came to me in my sleep, told me that I would kill the moon. It would be an accident, and something would trigger. A powerful something. He wouldn’t tell me what. But the other half of the prophecy talked about the creatures of the dark, didn’t it?”

“It did, ‘under a master, under everything, unyielding.’”

“I think I have to defeat whoever is controlling them. They wouldn’t attack the magic barrier before, until someone broke it for them to let them in.”

Eunha blinked her eyes sleepily, Sowon was right, it was calming.

“Then that’s all we have to do? Work together and defeat him?”

“Mhm.”

Sowon patted Eunha’s hair softly until she had fallen asleep. Her eyes gazed down at her partner lovingly.

“I promise I won’t kill you, I won’t need to.”

Pressing a kiss to the crown of Eunha’s head, Sowon sighed and closed her eyes to rest.

=====================

dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sowon was chosen by the mark to become the successor of the prophecy to finish the job, by description, she needs to kill Eunha to bring about some magical happening that will defeat all the darkness, but we can't have that! No hurt Eunha! Away!

disclaimer: no one in gfriend is going to die.