chapter 5

I've got cupcakes

               Eunha’s eyebrows drew together when she realized that the whole of team YYUS was following behind her. Was she allowed to bring them? Were they allowed to do this? Well, it was only the observation of Sowon who was on duty. Sighing quietly, she followed the blip on her phone, bringing her and the team to the east side of the school campus. Looking up, she glanced around to see exactly were, only to find an oddly colored patch in the school barrier.

“Is that supposed to be that colorful?”

“No, that’s the actual color of the outside world.”

               Eunha jumped slightly when Yerin appeared at her side. Since that patch was where the barrier was broken, Eunha took a deep breath and stretched her legs a bit.

“What are you doing?”

“Going to Sowon unnie.”

“What?”

“She’s on the outside of this, then I should make the jump, right?”

               Yerin looked at their little ledge on the side of their floating academy grounds to the hole in the barrier, possibly five meters away. Then she looked at Eunha’s stature and took in her physical strength.

“You sure you’re going to make that?”

“Positive. Don’t underestimate my jumping power.”

               Stepping back, Eunha bounced on her toes a few times before sprinting as fast as she could, jumping as her foot hit the edge, she threw her right hand backwards and sent a gust of wind behind her, propelling her forwards even more. Yerin stared for a second before putting her fist in her hand in understanding.

“Right, we have magic. Right, right.”

               Hitting the floor with a professional somersault roll to ease the impact, Eunha popped onto her feet and began to look around for her tall mentor. Hearing some impact sounds to her right, she headed off after them, hoping it was just Sowon fighting back. What she didn’t expect was that her mentor was…. tossing the shadowy wildebeest-like creatures into the air like nothing.

“Sowon unnie?”

“Oh, hey Eunbi. Did they send you to observe?”

“Yeah.”

“Sorry, this isn’t very interesting to see then is it? I was just trying to see if any of them spoke. Pretty sure they don’t now though.”

               With a flick of her wrist, a fire tornado spun around encircling the shadowy creatures, circling closer and closer until they were engulfed in flames that burned them away. Dusting her hands off, Sowon straightened her uniform quickly and easily bounced up to the rock Eunha was standing on.

“This is the reason why you’re the academy favorite.”

“Maybe, maybe not. Take your pick.”

               Sowon picked up Eunha by her waist, tossing her on her shoulder like a sack of potatoes as she headed back to the rift in the barrier. Finding it easily, she hopped right through perfectly without much effort. Setting Eunha back down, she looked up to see Yerin’s jaw dropped and SinB sighing. Yuju checked to make sure that Eunha was okay from jumping out, that would’ve been a pretty far fall if she didn’t do well, and the water mage had a fear of heights.

“Sowon unnie, are all of your missions like this?”

“Hm? No, this time, I think someone was- actually, I’m not allowed to say.”

“Someone?”

               Yerin looked at Sowon skeptically, someone? Not a ‘thing’? Not a creature of the dark? What did this mean? Why was Sowon not allowed to talk about it? But a stern look from Sowon gave her the impression that she’s only be intimidated if she dared to ask. Looking to the ground, she clenched her hands into fists before patting her teammates on the back, ushering them back inside. Sowon looked after them blankly, she continued to watch that way, even though Umji turned to give her a pleading look. She only looked away when Eunha tugged on her sleeve.

“Are you okay? I mean all I saw was you defeating them, I didn’t see any of the fight at the beginning.”

“It’s fine, there were some others there, but I took care of them before you arrived. Sorry.”

“No, it’s nothing to be sorry about. You did great.”

“Thanks.”

               Surprising Eunha with a hug, Sowon tucked the shorter under her chin and rubbed her head in a soothing manner. They stayed that way for a moment, Eunha staying still and Sowon relaxing against her, it was a little weird to be doing that on their first day of knowing each other, but it was a nice feeling. Sighing as she let go, Sowon started to walk back to the academy, ready to make her report. Eunha followed quietly after, she was unsure why her mentor was like this. Melancholic yet cheerful. Quiet, but so loud that all her attention was stuck on her. If hugging helped her feel better, then she’d let her, but what was making her mentor sad?

               They walked through the gates quickly, Eunha a half step behind as Sowon lead the way. She observed as Sowon’s thinking face steeled into one of seriousness as they neared the headmaster’s door. She jumped when Sowon kicked open the door with one foot, her hands then jammed into her pockets.

“Who messed up this time.”

It wasn’t a question, but a statement.

“It was Arthur.”

               Eunha looked around the room, she didn’t follow the conversation well, someone messed up and Sowon was mad, that’s all she knew. Standing at Sowon’s side, she looked up to see Sowon’s face as her mentor hummed to herself.

“You already know Eunbi, right?”

“Her field name is Eunha, please.”

“Ah, you received your field name? I guess we haven’t had the chance to convey that just yet, I just got back from Arthur’s accident.”

               This was weird, Sowon was nice and calm when she looked over at Eunha to ask her a question she didn’t need an answer to, but then her voice turned sarcastic when she turned back to the headmaster. Was this her relation to people? People she didn’t care for received sarcasm? But then what made Eunha special enough for care? Was just being her partner enough? By the way, who was Arthur?

“Why did you bring her?”

“You sent her to observe me, didn’t you?”

“I-“

“Then you should know why.”

               The headmaster sighed as Sowon interrupted him. Rubbing his temple, he grumbled a little before looking back at his star student.

“I was saying, I didn’t.”

               Sowon’s eyes widened slightly before she turned away from the both of them, her hand on her chin as she tried to figure out what happened. Eunha pulled out her phone and unlocked it with her fingerprint, handing it to Sowon with the message open, she waited patiently for her mentor to think.

“Although I would like for you to remove all these devices at once, I know that they’re too crucial to the student body life right now.”

“Right.”

“Sowon unnie?”

“Eunha yah, our school, to tell you the truth, is under attack.”

               Eunha stared for a little longer as Sowon’s grip tightened on the phone in her hand. Seeing as Sowon didn’t flinch or look away, she was most likely telling the truth.

“But the creatures of the dark don’t know…how to use technology.”

=============

We all probably already knew this was going to happen one way or another :P

I'm back from midterms yeaaaaaa