chapter 13

I've got cupcakes

The place that Yerin brought them to looked as if it were meant to be an actual camping grounds, rather than the training grounds it was. There was a waterfall and lush forests around them, but there were still the obvious signs that it was meant for training, several powered training dummies sat powered off in a shed off site. Pitching her tent in minutes, SinB sat proudly in the doorway, watching as the other struggled a little.

“Eunbi ah, help me out here.”

“You could just share my tent you know, roommates to roommates.”

Umji pouted, SinB had a point, but she wanted to at least know how to build one. SinB grinned and grabbed the poles from her hands, putting them in the correct direction for her to handle.

“Then, we’ll build this one and ask if Yuju unnie would mind sharing with Yerin unnie.”

“Deal!”

Working under SinB’s instruction was easy, they communicated well and eventually, Yerin and Yuju sat on a rock, watching them as Umji pitched their second tent, giving up the pile of poles next to them.

“You know, for a person who brought us here, what were you going to do if SinB didn’t know how to pitch a tent?”

“Well, it’d work out one way or another, look at their teamwork Yuna.”

Yuju sighed and agreed with Yerin, it was true, they did work together, but she wasn’t sure on the better part. Getting up to work on the last bit with Umji, Yuju left Yerin on the rock.

“And complete!”

Flopping inside it excitedly, Umji rolled around on the small interior with Yuju, their infectious laughter reaching outside until Yerin dove in and crashed on top of Yuju, knocking the wind out of her lungs.

“Ahk!”

“Sorry! You’re okay though.”

Yuju groaned and rolled out from under Yerin, leaving the tent and her leader behind, Yerin was confused. She hadn’t really hurt Yuju that badly right? Getting out to follow her partner, she quickly found her at the riverside, reaching a hand out to comfort her in case Yuju was really hurt, whether physically or emotionally, she intended to have a nice chat, only to be one handedly tossed into the river. Resurfacing and coughing water, she rubbed the water out of her eyes to see Yuju laughing so hard that she was holding onto her sides.

“Yah!”

“Hahahahaha!”

Splashing water at Yuju, Yerin also splashed SinB a little on accident, but eventually she had all of them in the river splashing water, even if Yuju had a slight advantage at stopping the water midair before it touched her. They all her to try and get her wet, three versus one.

“How is this fair?”

“How is it fair for you! We still haven’t successfully splashed you at all!”

Yuju giggled as they bantered between shots of water, hitting them all with a mini geyser under their feet, she toppled all her teammates to their butts in the river before getting out and offering hands for them to get out of the river.

“Come on, we can’t play all the time.”

Pulling the water out of their hair and clothes, Yuju grinned as she had managed to get them mostly dry, Yerin hadn’t bothered to heat them up to steam off the rest, instead starting a campfire for them to cook their afternoon snack on. They skipped lunch but it wasn’t dinner time after all.

“Hey, you wanna bet if I can catch a fish with my hands?”

“You think you can?”

“Of course, I can! I’ll even grill it for you extra well.”

Yuju shook her head as she laughed softly, Yerin quickly got up and ran back to the river, SinB following after.

“Yuju unnie you won’t go watch?”

“You can go if you want, I think I’ll stay here, Yerin unnie can take care of herself. She’s such a ball of sunshine.”

“I know right? It’s sometimes hard to keep up with her energy, I’m impressed by SinB.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon knocked on team one’s door, expecting any of the others to have been there to open it for her, instead, she was left waiting. Pulling out her phone, she pressed on Eunha’s name until a call connected, she could hear the younger’s ringtone through the door.

“Eung? Sowon unnie?”

“Open the door.”

Eunha’s voice sounded sleepy, but there couldn’t have been enough time for her to have slept already since they last saw each other. Tucking her phone away but keeping her guard up, she waited for Eunha to open the door. When she did however, Eunha was indeed, dressed in pajamas and rubbing her eye cutely as if she had really just gotten up.

“Just how fast can you fall asleep?”

“Really fast, but unnie, it’s been three hours since training.”

“What do you mean?”

“Huh? We’re we meeting after dinner?”

Eunha finally cleared up her mind and was now skeptical of Sowon’s reaction, what was wrong? Sowon then looked inside the dorm to see that none of the other members of team one were there, it was getting late and they should have finished classes, at least until dinner time.

“You, where is team one?”

“They went out camping at the training grounds at the back, told me to tell you that they agreed on assisting you.”

“You already told me that.”

“I did? When?”

“Earlier at the cafeteria.”

“What? I wasn’t at the cafeteria.”

Sowon looked at Eunha hard, taking her hand and looking her in the eyes, she could detect no lies. Eunha’s gaze didn’t falter, her hands did not shake, her heart rate was normal.

“No way.”

“What unnie? What do you mean we met at the cafeteria? I was sleeping since training.”

“Oh no.”

Closing the dorm door behind her, she hugged Eunha softly, cradling Eunha’s head in her arms due to their height difference. Kissing the top of her head softly, Sowon apologized.

“I’m sorry, I should have known that wasn’t you.”

“Seriously, what are you talking about?”

“There’s either an illusionist or a shape shifter on campus and they approached me looking as you. I’m a failure of a mentor for not noticing the difference.”

Patting Sowon’s arm gently, Eunha just stayed still.

“You’re worried about me being sad you couldn’t recognize me? You really should reorder your priorities unnie, there’s an enemy on campus, you should look into that more.”

Sowon remained quiet for a second, making Eunha think whether or not she said something wrong.

“It’s not that I don’t care, but it really….I can’t trust this school anymore, but I have to. I’ll go deal with them if I can find them, would you….would you come with me? If you’re not too worn out by training.”

Eunha just smiled up at her.

“Hey, whose mentee am I? I’m working on my stamina as well, let’s go.”

Heading out hand in hand, they failed to notice the three phone screens light up on the table by the couch.