s2 ch 11

I've got cupcakes

Sowon looked over the sunrise, having not needed to sleep at all, or having too much energy to need sleep just yet, she sat on the roof, her long legs swinging as she stared. Brian never said anything about what she’d do after she finished her job of defeating the invaders, perhaps her job was to just defend this place for the rest of her life. Rubbing her neck, Sowon lay down when the sun cleared the furthest mountain.

“I have a daughter.”

It had been a foreign idea, she was only an academy senior, if she had a child, then she was a teenager when she had one. Then she halted her thoughts. Creatures did not give birth, but she was a creature, or so she was told by Brian, a resurrected one. She had found her own appearance odd, but he had again dismissed it as she had a morphing power and that she had forgotten how to use it, forcing her to look human until she figured out how.

But it sounded as if someone had said it before to her, in some sort of variation.

“Psst, mom.”

Sowon whipped her head around, startled by the voice, again the feeling of being startled made her feel weird, as if it should have never happened. Spotting a little demon child, she stared at the little horns on the top of her head.

“Who are you? You called me mom.”

“I’m Soeun, I told you this for the last two weeks for every day. I guess, you really don’t remember anything at all. But you wanted me to try.”

“Soeun?”

“Mom, those people that Brian told you to hurt, they’re your friends.”

“Friends?”

A flurry of shuffling feet rushed around them and Soeun started to run, but Sowon grabbed her hand.

“Where are you going?”

“Let go, please mom I can’t get caught here.”

Sowon let go, slightly stunned by the way Soeun pleaded her and called her mom. Watching as her supposed daughter dropped from the roof and disappear into the shadows, Sowon sighed and looked back at the sky. Something was missing, but she didn’t know what.

“Miss, have you seen a little child with demon horns like the kind you see in anime?”

“No? What for?”

“She’s a runaway experiment who’s got this sickness where she thinks she’s alive, only she isn’t and-“

“You’re lying.”

Sowon turned to the unnamed girl who suddenly appeared beside her.

“I didn’t notice you lady. I apologize, I was just desperate to know whether or not Miss had seen the little runaway.”

“She did not, go about your way.”

He bowed and left, Sowon looked curiously at the other girl.

“Do you think that if we finish this, you’ll get your name back?”

She looked surprised, but there was a dash of hope in her eyes that seemed to reignite with the idea.

“You think? I guess that could happen, the only reason why I lost it was because they thought I couldn’t finish it. Given, I was on the brink of death when they finally decided to speak to me.”

“They can speak to us?”

“Yea, since you haven’t lost anything, your memories were wiped by Brian, not the prophets or the gods, you still have the chance to finish it.”

“Then I should at least give you your name back.”

“That would be nice.”

Too bad Sowon didn’t remember, that she needed a sacrifice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaving the airship, Eunha felt a chill run down her spine as Umji pulled her out of the way before Soeun crashed into the wall beside them.

“Ouch!”

“Oops.”

Umji quickly put Eunha back down to go see if Soeun was alright.

“Sorry, I felt that Eunha unnie was going to get knocked over, I didn’t see far enough to know if you were friendly or not.”

Soeun rubbed her nose, which had turned pink on impact with the wall. Looking around, she accepted Umji’s apology as she locked eyes with Yerin.

“You’re….”

Soeun took a step back.

“SOOOO CUTE!”

Yerin quickly grabbed her into a hug and nuzzled her cheek to Soeun’s, who was trying to get away from this crazy lady.

“Let go!”

Finally let down on the ground, Soeun ran and hid behind Eunha’s legs, only peeking out at Yerin with a glare.

“Soeun ah.”

Eunha knelt down and held Soeun’s hands, looking her in the eyes.

“You’ve been keeping secrets from us, and we were a little upset about it. How can we know to trust you that going to Sowon unnie early is not a trap?”

Soeun shuffled a little, avoiding Eunha’s gaze.

“That…you see….your…Sojung unnie is my mom. She…set me free from the lab and let me call her that. Once, before she got controlled and brainwashed, she told me that if I had to find a second parent to take care of me one day, that a person she called Eunha would be fine.”

The girls gathered around Soeun, listening carefully.

“But it turned out, that Eunha unnie wasn’t a papa, so she was then my mama, right? Is that wrong?”

“N-no, it’s just a little weird for me to hear you call me that, I’m just a sophomore after all.”

“A-and that phone call, a nice lady gave me that phone and told me to call for help.”

“Nice lady?”

“She doesn’t have a name, but she hates Brian a lot.”

Soeun found that Eunha’s hands had gone slack so she quickly retreated and went back a few more steps.

“S-so are you ready to go?”

“To Sowon unnie? Always.”

Umji grabbed Eunha’s shoulder, stopping her. Eunha gave her a disapproving look.

“Even if it’s a trap, I’m going.”

“No, I’m saying, we should get a good night of sleep first. We just came from technically kidnapping Yerin unnie, running away from the government, running through security and now you want to go fight an organization of bad people.”

Soeun pouted and Eunha hesitated, but Umji had a point. They were tired.

“Fine. We’ll leave tomorrow to get her.”