chapter 16

I've got cupcakes

Premonition kicked in and Umji rolled out of the way, tugging SinB with her as a claw slashed through the tent, when she regained her footing, Umji gasped.

“What the hell?!”

“SinB, I think you should grab your phone.”

“Are you crazy?! That thing is over it right now!”

“I’m not and you know it.”

What faced them was a half beast half maybe human? It was hard to tell under the fur and menacing snarls and claws, but certainly it was bipedal and enhanced. The werebeasts were supposed to have died to the creatures of the dark, if this thing was an evolved version of those, Umji wasn’t sure that it wasn’t experimented on. Stomping a foot, she made the monster fall over due to the shifting ground, smashing a fist of dirt over it’s head to grab it’s attention, Umji sprinted off, hoping it would chase her and allow SinB to grab her phone.

“I’ve got it!”

“Call my sister!”

SinB hurriedly dialed Sowon’s number, biting her nail as it rang several times.

“Oh please oh pleas-“

“Hello?”

“HI! WE NEED HELP!”

“What?”

“THERE’S A CRAZY BEAST THING AFTER UMJI!”

The line cut and SinB worried whether Sowon knew where they were at or not, hurrying back to support Umji, she began to shoot short bursts of wind to blow the monster off balance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon stumbled out of bed, falling on her face as her reflexes were slowed by her sleepiness and not quite conscious state. Eunha jolted at the sound and woke up, seeing Sowon slapping herself in the face to wake up faster, her brain was awake already but her body wasn’t cooperating as fast.

“Ohmygod I need to go.”

“Sowon unnie?”

“The girls are in trouble, SinB called, I…I need to go.”

Eunha got out of the bed quickly and grabbed a jacket, following after Sowon who just put on a set of long pants over her shorts and took off out the door.

“They said they were going to the training grounds.”

“Roger.”

When Sowon grabbed her hand, Eunha noticed a slight glow on Sowon’s left wrist, the one wrist that she saw had a white metal cuff. Deciding not to say anything, she was surprised when they picked up an inhumane speed as Sowon pulled her through the air, her feet not touching the ground as Sowon just sprinted across the campus.

Hearing the sounds of battle, Eunha was released as Sowon jumped up into the air and smashed a foot in the face of the beast, her combat sneakers making a solid ‘thunk’ noise as it made contact. SinB was standing in front of Yerin who was holding an unconscious Yuju, Umji was nowhere to be seen.

“What happened?!”

Eunha hurried over and checked them for wounds, but they were only battered with bruises and minor scratches.

“Umji got kidnapped by a masked person with pink eyes, Yuju was knocked out when she tried to get her back, they went that way.”

Yerin pointed over the rocks and up towards the mountain they had on their school grounds, hearing this, Eunha made sure that they were perfectly fine, nothing dangerous around them at all before making her way up the mountain.

“Come on Eunbi, you can do this, it’s just a mountain, you’ve been running laps all week, a little incline is not an issue.”

Bouncing a few times to warm her ankles up as the run here she hadn’t really stretched much due to Sowon’s speed, Eunha prepared herself for the mad dash up the slanted slope. Sowon was still taking care of the beast, slashing with a sharp blade of water in the face and burning it shut in perfect mastery of all the elements, she could even be seen as floating in the air due to her control over the wind.

Making it to the first ledge, Eunha jumped and grabbed hold of a crevice, how int eh world someone got up here with another on their shoulder was going to be hard, they couldn’t have gone far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon finally managed to slip a blade of water under the back of the weird werebeast monster thing’s knees and had it fall to the ground, not able to run anymore. With it immobilized, finishing it was very easy. Leaving the body uncharred as best as she could for autopsy, Sowon stumbled over to talk to the three remaining members of team one.

“Where’d Eunha go?”

“After Yewon’s kidnapper, they went up the mountain.”

Sowon panted as she glanced at the mini mountain. Taking a seat however, she tried catching her breath.

“Tell me what happened, Eunha can stall them long enough for me to catch my breath. I need to know what I’m dealing with.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After making the call to Sowon and returning to Umji’s side, SinB had noticed that there was a second presence in the area other than the mutated monster, but she was too occupied by the danger in front of herself to really look into it, that is, until Umji tried to move in a very unnatural way to dodge something and twisted her ankle a hand grabbing at where she stood.

“Kim! You and your ever-present PREMONITION!”

Umji scrambled away from him and managed to duck a swipe from the monster that SinB refocused on keeping at bay, where was the rest of their team?

“WHERE ARE YOU YERIN YUJU!!!!!!”

A fireball narrowly missed hitting the monster in the face as it snarled and tossed SinB aside, Umji hobbled to her feet to knock it away from SinB just in time. Yuju finally got over to Umji and splashed her healing water while setting Umji’s ankle at the same time, apologizing the whole time before getting shoved backwards by an invisible force. Umji squirmed in his grasp as Yerin tried to reach him but the monster seemed to understand that the man wanted to take Umji and no one else.

Knocking Umji out by a quick chop to after immobilizing her with some sort of magic SinB had never seen before, the mysterious pink eyed person just lightly picked her up and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“They got the wrong person.”

“What do you mean?”

“They were looking for me, this is even worse than I thought, if Yewon could pass as me they wouldn’t kill her immediately, but if they did find out that she isn’t me, I’m not sure what they’re going to do.”

Getting up, Sowon cracked her knuckles and rolled up her sleeves, revealing her two metal cuffs. The black cuff on her right wrist glowed this time as her aura flared a little more. SinB watched in slight terror as Sowon’s pressure increased over time, was it a limiter?

Disappearing in a flash towards the base of the mountain, Yerin, Yuju, and SinB could only hope that Eunha had managed to delay the kidnapper for long enough.

===============

I apologize if it's confusing, part of it is because I've got a headache, part of it is just because I'm a bad writer and then the last part of it is because it is. Can anyone guess what those metal cuffs are for?