Origami

House of card: Her

"I wish I am a werewolf." 

 

It was Sunday 9 am in the morning. Jungkook was at the kitchen preparing the breakfast when Eunha suddenly blurted out her daily weird thoughts. She put away the book in her hand, pouting cutely as if her husband could see her. 

 

"All of sudden, dear?" Jungkook shouted from the kitchen even though he could care less of what was happening in his wife's mind. 

 

"Hmm... yeah." She rested her head on the sofa, laying comfortably. 

 

"Well, you know about how werewolf can sniff their mate right? Like they can only smell them and they know it's their soulmate. Isn't that amazing?" 

 

Jungkook walked to the living room with a small plate of japchae. He fed her mouthful of it, anticipating the approval from his wife. And as soon as he saw the pleasant smile and two thumbs up from Eunha his face immediately lit up. 

 

"Isn't that us?" He chuckled as he walked toward the kitchen again to finish his cooking. 

 

"Yeah. But, how do you know? I mean we human doesn't have that ability. What if we made mistake? Like that's what happened when people got divorce, right?"

 

Jungkook stopped stirring his boiling stew for a moment as he heard the question. 

 

"I guess?" He said with a shrug and continue his focus on it. 

 

"No no... I mean just imagined. What if you married someone that is suppose to be others' partner? Isn't that tremendous? Just to think about it?" 

 

Jungkook turned off the stove and carefully put the kimchi jiggae pot on the dining table. He look up towards his wife and with a warm smile he spoke, 

 

"The way you love waking up to the smell of my bland jiggae on every weekend and how I always long your embrace whenever I am away from you, isn't that just mean we are destined from each other already?" 

 

***

 

"You're spacing out again." 

 

Eunha said as she chewed her food slowly. Jungkook snapped from his thought and blink repeatedly realising the stare from his wife.

 

"You seem like you loss appetite lately. Is everything fine?" He tried to diverse her attention.

 

"Hmm I guess. See... you're trying to change the topic again." 

"Huh? Err... no. I'm not." He shifted his gaze away to his bowl

as he felt the tense of her stare. 

 

"Tell me then. What's in your mind." 

"Oh. Hmmm... it's just... how's the food? Is it to your liking?" 

"Yeah. It's good." She answered, short. With that, Jungkook knows he is going to mess up again if he is not going to fix the depressed atmosphere. Thus, he forced a smile as he stared at his uninterested wife.

 

"You know... I'm not a good cook before." He said as he pointed to the dishes with his eyes.

 

"You always ridiculed me and I'll cook every weekend just to improve my cooking." He widen his smile more as Eunha's eyes on him.

 

"I was reminiscing it." 

 

She was startled for a second as she saw the honesty that shine in his eyes again. A deep sited unfamiliar warm feeling was overflowing inside her and she grinned. But as soon as she realised how blur Jungkook face at the moment, she burst into laughter. 

 

"Why are you laughing? Is it actually bad?"

"No, it's superb! Extra delicious! Very appetising!"

"Okay okay. Stop exaggerating." 

"I'm not!" She teasingly making an annoying face towards him in which causing him to chuckle.

 

"You must've miss the old Eunha right?" She said as she put all the dirty dishes into the sink.

 

"Isn't she you?" He replied casually as he helped clear the table.

 

"Yeah... but I am-"

"15 years old Eunha. Gosh this talk again." He rolled his eyes playfully. 

 

"What? It is true though." She pouted and crossed her arms, shooting her death stare.

 

"Stop that or I'll pull that lips." 

"Yeah right. Try me."

"Oh you don't want to test me young lady." 

"Pfftt... so you think I'm gonna go easy on you just because you make that charming smile?" 

"Charming? Oho. This is interesting." One hand was supporting his face as he keep his mischievous smile and Eunha immediately look away.

 

"Well, to be honest... I might've enjoyed 15 years old company more now. She's... adorable." 

 

***

 

It was clearly visible on Umji's face that she was anticipating at least a hmm or oh from Yoongi. It has been awhile and somehow it felt like the clock was ticking very slowly for Umji. She then shifted her gaze when his eyes finally met hers.

 

"So, have you told him yet?" 

 

Even though it was not clearly an answer that she had expected while making thousand of scenarios and dialogues before she decided to come to face Yoongi today, somehow she felt relieved with how calm the guy took everything up until now. Although, only god knows what storm was going through that complex mind of him. 

 

"No. Not yet." She tried her best to hide the quiverness in her voice. She couldn't understand herself but somehow it is hard to look straight to his eyes, now that he is about to know the most vulnerable part of her life. 

 

"I was just... well, like I've said, it was a foolish, childish crush. I always felt that he's charming since we were child. However, although I can't deny how I am jealous of them, I can't help to find that they're perfectly cute for each other. As if it was written in the stars... that they were made for each other." 

"That's surely a cringeworthy way to describe them." Yoongi scoffed. Which was then shortly followed by small laughter from Umji. It sounded harsh but she knew well that it was all to make her felt better. And for that, she couldn't be more thankful that he tried to enlighten the atmosphere.

 

"Hmmm... there's somewhere I need to take you oppa. I'll tell you more once we're there." 

 

***

 

"Why do you want to come here?" 

 

Eunha ignored the question as her hand was busily running through the nicely kept book on Jungkook's book shelve. Somehow she feel as if there is something about his parents house that might help her to remember more, so she decided to be a little defective and start her investigation there. 

 

"That too on my holiday. There's nothing interesting to do here." He whined like a child. 

 

"I have something to check." 

"Something? Like what?" 

"Something like something. Stop ruining my concentration." 

 

Jungkook let out a loud sigh as he rolled around his bed.

 

"You have a lot of comics."

"Yeah. Boys will be boys, huh?" He grab one of the comic books on the rack before throwing his body to the bed again.

 

"Missing your old room?" She turned to him with a sweet smile. That side of him made her fuzzy in the inside. 

 

"Hmmm not really." He scanned through the book before grabbing another. He then peeked towards Eunha to find she was looking in his direction as well. Fascinated by it, he unknowingly give a calm smile. 

 

"Come. Take a sit beside me." Lightly, he pat the empty spot on the bed. Much to his surprise, Eunha face change abruptly, and with a judging eyes she asked brusquely,

 

"Why should I?" 

"Why wouldn't you?" He replied, still in calm voice. 

 

"Oh gosh wait. I know this! ert!" 

"Wait what? Oho. Stop those thoughts young lady." He sat himself up with a bewildered expression. 

 

"Thoughts?? What thoughts?!" 

"Damn... this doesn't go the way I imagined." 

"You already imagining it?! ERT!!!" Eunha widen her eyes as she hold herself as if to protect her from him. 

 

"No! I didn't mean it like that silly. Although to be fair, you're legally my wife so-" 

"Okay stop there mister! Stop. Gosh you're so ewww!!" 

"Huh? Wait! That's not what I meant." He went speechless for a few seconds as he realise how intense Eunha was. He then let out a small laugh as he found the sight of Eunha freaking out is slightly adorable. That is when he decided to play along.

 

"Keep at least 1 metre distance from me you ." 

"1 metre? As if! I am your husband." 

"I'll freaking scream if you get up from that bed." 

"Oh really? Try me." He smirked. And suddenly Eunha feel it could be on her lost if she stay on that room so she steps away slowly.

 

"Ergh!!! Weirdooooo!" She gave a judging face before completely fleeing away from the room.

 

"Where are you going?" He said, following her. 

 

"Away from you!" She shouted as she walked down the stairs. 

 

"You do know this is my house, right?" He let out a small chuckle as he walks slowly towards her. 

 

"Weirdo!!!"

 

***

 

Yoongi scanned the place throughly before peering the emotionless girl on his side. With only both of them at the empty abandoned playground, quiet atmosphere, and the cold wind that prick deep into his skin felt weirdly lonely somehow.

 

"I always come here every time I'm bothered by thoughts of my parents." He did recognise the place to be truth. It is just a few metres from their parents house. 

 

"It is my best hiding place ever." She said, curving a faint smile. 

 

"It is amazing how they cope the problems, hiding their true relationship in front of others just because of their image." 

 

"I'm still mad at them oppa. I hate how they ruined their own life, living under a ferocious lie. And make us a victim for their wrong choices in life. I don't think I could ever forget them."

"That is why you keep running away?" 

"That... and also..."

 

Flashback 

 

The weather was not any different from that day. It was very windy and the chilling breeze could not console her crushed heart that has been trampled by her own classmates. Umji sat on her favourite place, the swing, rocking herself back and forward, kicking lightly the sand while trying to forget all the malicious words that she received from her own 11 years old classmates. Who would have known kids those ages could have been that harsh when it comes to emotional bullying? She heave a loud sigh as she stood up. And that is when she heard a familiar voice calling her. Slowly she turned around and with each step the boy took, the pounding of her heart become louder till she feel as if he could listened to it as well. 

 

"Hey!" The boy flashed his dreamy sweet smile. 

 

"Ah... Jungkook oppa." She said very slow but he still could catch it. 

 

"What are you doing here?" He said enthusiastically.

 

"Playing." She hides her nervous eyes by looking away, feared that it will be all visible to the guy who is just one year older than her. 

 

"Really? Alone? In the abandoned playground?" 

"I just feel like wanting to be alone today." 

 

He went speechless at the moment as he heard her reason. He nodded as he thought that would be enough to show he understands her.

 

"What are you doing here then, oppa?"  

 

He was going to answer that he is already late to his club meeting and decided to take the shortcut, but somehow the moist eyes of her that seems as if the girl is just done crying, and not to mention the weird rumours that he has been hearing at school regarding she was being bullied by others, kind of stopping him from doing so. He shrugged his shoulders, as he brush off the one of the swing. 

 

"I find it would be interesting to discover a secret abandoned playground, so yeah." He grinned, which immediately warm her inside. 

 

"That's so weird." 

"Maybe."

"What do you mean maybe?" She giggled. 

 

He smiled widely before pointing to the swing with his eyes. 

 

"Sit. I'll help to push." 

"What? No, it's okay." 

"Yes it's okay. So come and sit. At least we should enjoy the place right?" Jungkook smiled brightly. 

 

That is when Umji realised, his sweet smile and consideration that he offered her not just managed to brighten her gloomy day but also steal her heart. 

 

End of flashback.

 

Umji shut her eyes tightly. The memory, the scene, her beating heart, the fresh first love, they are still fresh on her mind, playing like a movie. She heaved a loud sigh as she tried to curve a smile to the confused Yoongi. Looking at it again, it was a childish love. She was aware of that. But, as much as she wanted to convince herself that she'll be fine without him, her mind will start to justify on her heart. On how he was the one who get her out from all the sadness, longing and misery of being a girl trapped in a cage for God knows how long. On how he managed to make her happy with such a small small occurrence that happened between them. And that's when she realised. It was him, is him and will never be others when she speak of love. 

 

But now, as she is standing on the place that make her realise how she felt for him, she is starting to realise, that perhaps the feelings was no more than an escape. An escape from all her problem. She was at the pit of hell and the feelings that she had for him somehow had brought her up to the cloud 9, which then able to make her forgot the miserable life that she had to go through.

 

"And that is why I hate them more." 

"Them?" 

"My parents. They make everything worse and this won't happened if they would just let go of their so called perfect image." 

"What do you mean Umji?" 

 

***

 

After having lunch at the nearest restaurant, both of Eunha and Jungkook decided they should headed home. Just when Jungkook try to release the handbrake, Eunha turned to him and with a curious expression, she took out a clear jar full of origami from her handbag that she secretly took from his room. 

 

"Oh by the way, what is this?"  With a slight head tilt, she raised her eyes at him quizzically. 

 

Jungkook froze for awhile, his eyes were static on the jar until he realised Eunha was staring at him, waiting for his answer. Eunha did not sure and the way Jungkook react to it, arose her curiosity more. 

 

"What?" She asked as Jungkook was blankly looking at her without any response. 

 

"Origami." He simply answered and continue to release his handbreak, ignoring the confused Eunha.

 

"It's pretty." She tried to fix the sudden dull atmosphere with her big smile but Jungkook keep on avoiding her stare. 

 

"Hmm." He hummed as he continue his focus on the road. 

 

That was when she got the feeling again. The one that tells her Jungkook is definitely hiding something from her. 'What's there that you're desperately trying so hard to hide it from me, Jungkook?'