An accident

House of card: Her


It was the 3rd month of their marriage when Eunha got into a car crash to safe her husband, Jungkook. The ER team tried their best to save her but due to the huge impact, Eunha's brain had some critical injury and causing her to go into a coma. 

Since then, she has been into deep coma for a whole month. Jungkook can't help but not to feel bad about it. He is the one causing his wife to go into coma. If it wasn't for him, then Eunha won't be severely injured. 

Jungkook holds his wife's hand dearly. 

"Honey, I know you'll miss me, but I'll miss you more." He pat her hair gently. He knows Eunha unable to replied him but he loves to talk to her anyway. He loves to see that there is slight change in her heart beats whenever he had conversations with her.

"I promised that I won't be long. I'll be here as soon as I got off work." He smiles and kiss her forehead. 

"I love you." He whispered.

***

Umji had just arrived from the airport. She rush to the room 130 where Eunha was warded. 'Gosh unnie. I'm sorry for not being there on your wedding day. But I'm more sorry that I can't come to visit you earlier.' 

Last year, after her college's graduation day, Umji decided that she'll be staying with both her parents at Japan. The girls tried to stop her but she has already made up her mind and refuse to listen to them. She has been working as a runaway model since. She wanted to return to Korea as soon as possible but due to her hectic schedule and endless runaways, she could only took a flight back yesterday.

She creaks out the door to see a figure that she adores lying on the bed.
"Eunha unnie." She sobs. As the girl didn't respond to her, her sobs become louder. 

"Unnie! Wake up!" She cried. 

***

"She can hear what you said. You can see that she's reacting to voice with this." He pointed out to the heart rate machine. Umji just stares at Jungkook pitifully.

"It will rose up and flopped down according to her surrounding." He gladly smile at the latter. 

"Oppa." She voiced out. 
"Yes?" His eyes are glued on Eunha. 

"Unnie will be fine, right?" She looks down. 
"Of course." He gave a widest smile he could. 

"What about you? Will you be fine?" Tears start rolling on her cheeks. 

***
Jungkook was humming a song to Eunha ear when Umji, Sinb and Yuju came in. Jungkook stands and greet them happily. 

"How are you doing guys?" He smiled. But somehow the girls can see there is pain inside those bright looking eyes. 

"Umji wanted to cook something for Eunha but considering she can't eat it, we just made a porridge instead." Yuju said as she served the porridge into a bowl. She put it on Eunha's overbed table.  Jungkook observed on the heart rate machine and smile widely. 

"See... She knows you guys are here. Her heart rate rise to 82 beats." Jungkook grins. 

"I guess Eunha unnie's sense of smell is still good even though she is in a deep coma." Sinb replied, trying to curve a smile. 
"Doctor said that any trigger is good so don't lose hope guys." Yuju added. Umji could only look at Eunha with deep remorse. 

"I shouldn't have leave. Maybe this is all because of me." She sobs. The girls pull her into a hug. Jungkook shook his head weakly. 

"No, it's not Umji. It's my fault that she turns out like this. I'm the one who is the cause of all this. I constantly nag at her for being a klutz, but the truth is she's the one who always care for me. If only I didn't drink too much with the clients at that time, this won't be happening." He sighs. 
"Oppa... Don't do this in front of Eunha unnie." Sinb look at Jungkook. 
"It's nobody's fault. Stop blaming yourself guys." She added. 

Yuju then saw something peculiar happened on her eyes. 

"Guys... Am I hallucinating, or did I just see Eunha's fingers move?" 
"Where?!" Jungkook turns around and grab his wife's hand. 

"Dear... Honey, can you hear me?" 

***

Eunha felt exhausted all of a sudden. She tried to open her eyes but when she manage to do so everything is white and blur. 'Where am I?' She thought. Her body felt so heavy and she can hear some unrecognised voice but it was only muffled sound. She try to move her hand but every parts of her body feel numb. 

"If you can hear this, please tap your finger three time." 

She tried her best and follow the instruction well. 

"Well done. Mrs Jung. I am your doctor, Kim Hyongdoo. You have been involve in a serious car accident and you have been into a coma for a month. Now, please listen to me carefully. Don't be panic if you can't move some part of your body or have memory loss. Everything will return to you gradually. For now, please have a rest." 

She just weakly nod. Everything still seems so blurry for her. 

"Move! I need to see my wife!" She heard a noise from outside. She turns to the noise to see a stranger was rushing towards her. The guy then holds her hand and try to pull her into a hug. She who was dumbfounded with the sudden reaction, tried to push him away. 

"G-get off me. Who... Who are you? A pe-ert?" She stutter. 

***

"Unnie who are those guys?" She pointed to Umji, Sinb and Yuju. They were waiting for her outside her room. She was able to see them keep staring at her through the transparent glass window of her room.

"Don't you remember? You met them during your high school and they've become our circle of friend since then." 
"High school? I went to high school? How could I when I just graduated middle school?" Yerin gasped hearing Eunha's statement.

"And, who is that guy? Why is he holding my hand and trying to hug me?" She pointed out to Jungkook who stands outside, talking to the doctor. Yerin took a deep breath as she said,

"He's your husband, Eunha. The love of your life." 

***

"Its dissociative amnesia." The doctor sigh. He put his glasses away and looks pitifully at Jungkook. 

"I know this is hard for you, but you must continue to encourage her to remember more. For a patient in this state, they will act differently towards those whom she is not familiar with. I hope you will be able to tolerate her more." He continued. 

"Amnesia? So, she can't remember anything?" He clenched his teeth, holding in his emotion. 

"Based on various examinations that we held just now, she could only remember up to certain years. Which is 2009."
"That was 9 years ago. Before she even met me." He murmured. The doctor let out a sigh as he nod. 

"Jeon Jungkook-shi. I'm not calling you over so that you'll gave up on your own wife. Mrs Jung need someone by her side to support her and help her to remember all the missing pieces. It is all in her head and she will remember everything again by time. The only problem that may arise is how and when. And the only person who can answer that is you, Mr Jeon. You're her only hope."

***
Jungkook stare at Eunha who had fall into deep sleep. It was midnight already and Jungkook just finished settling his work at office. Taehyung and Yerin were the one who was supposed to be in charge of taking care of Eunha tonight. However, he feel bad to sleep alone in his apartment so he stop by the hospital to check on Eunha. 

Taehyung and Yerin went outside to give him more time with Eunha. He sighs again and again as he his wife hair. 

"Crying doesn't suit your personality, Jungkook. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't." He turns to the voice to see Taehyung was standing in front of the door. He tried curving the smile to the older.

"Hey, hyung." He said, weakly. 

Taehyung let out a sigh and sit with him. 

"How's work?" He asked. 

"It must be hard for you, Kook-ah. You've just been accepted after a year of internship so there must be a lot to handle,huh?" Jungkook just replied him with a smile. He can't contain his feeling anymore but he hates to portray it in front of people so he tries his best to shut all the feelings that come at him on the moment. 

"I know you're not okay, kid. It's fine. We'll be here with you. I don't want to say such unnecessary comfort words such as everything will be okay but it will, Jungkook ah. It will. Sooner or later, nobody knows when. But it will. As for now, please be strong. It's you who she needs the most now."  

"Thank you hyung." Jungkook look away in despair.

***

It has been the third day since Eunha woke up from her coma. She looks at the baby breath that was situated on the table at the side of her bed. She realises that someone will change the water for them every single day. She turns her gaze to the door as she heard a knock. 

Jungkook entered the room with a warm smile. He wanted to sit by the bed, but he remembered that she might felt uncomfortable with it, so he sit at the couch instead. 

"How are you feeling now?" He asked, smiling sweetly to Eunha. Eunha just furrow her eyebrows and stared at him.

"So you're my husband,right?" She said, still staring at Jungkook. He just gave a single nod and smile at her. 

"How could I have a husband when I was just 15?" 
"You-" 
"I know I'm now 24 but in my head, I'm still 15." She abruptly cuts him off. 

"I'm sorry. But this is just too hard for me. And, what was your name again?" Eunha tried to make an eye contact but her husband refuse to look at her in the eyes. 

"It's okay. Take your time. My name is Jungkook." His heart aches to know that the only woman that he ever loved couldn't recognise him. 

"Hmmm... You have a great name. I'm pretty sure you have a great personality as well. That's why I chose to marry you, right?" She smiles. Tears start to form in his eyes. He has been missing the voice, the smile. He missed his wife. He wanted to hug her so tight,  hold her hand and kiss her. Unfortunately, he can't do that as he scared she will distanced herself from him. He looks away trying to hide his tears. 

"I'm going to grab something to eat. I'll be back later." He rush outside. He closed the door and stands in front of it. 

He shut his eyes as he lean on the door. He can feel his leg starts to wear off and he fall to the floor. 'Why does this had to happen to us when everything seems so perfect, Eunha?'

Ps: I had this idea when I tried to brainstorming for a new trailer. It wasn't long until I realised it has the same story plot as The Vow. I haven't watch it though. And, I'm not sure how the story goes.... so, let's just say you won't have to worry that I'll follow The Vow's plot 😊