Resolution

House of card: Her

Beware of a lengthy chapter ahead. You still need to read each words though. Or else you'll miss the excitement 😁

Umji still remember how everything happened that day. Growing up, she always felt as if there is something missing with her family, within their house. Something always seems to be awry. There's even this weird aura around her parents, as they constantly sniping at each other in silence. And, although she was just a child, and her parents tried their best to act normal in front of their kids and everyone else, disguising as 'the perfect entrepreneurial power couple', Umji wasn't a fool for not being able to sense it. She knew nothing was beyond normal. She was aware that both her parents were not in a good terms. 

It wasn't long until on one particular night when she turned 6, her mother disappeared out of the blue. And, while little Namjoon was weeping, asking for their mother, Umji surprisingly wasn't much affected over the news. She acted calm as their father consoled them with sugary words. 

"Your mom will be back soon. I promise."

Umji knew that it was no more than an empty promise. She realised it long ago over constant arguments between their parents, somewhere along her father was too busy with his works, and her mother who constantly felt left out as she tried to reignite the spark in their marriage. 

And, though their mother did return after 3 nights away from home, she can't denied a sinking feeling in her as she watched they faked a smile, telling them that everything will be fine. 

Ever since that incident, somehow both her and her brother seems to have a despicable view of love. It sicks to see how their parents act as loving couple in front of them, in front of their business partners, in front of everyone, but the pain and hurt in their eyes were inevitable every time they faced each other. 

And perhaps, that was the very reason Umji distanced herself from others. Unlike Namjoon who coped the problem through his friends, Umji can't seem to forget how a relationship can turn ones into a monster, eating others and oneself for a selfish reason. 

Hence, when she was 7, on the first day of school, Umji unknowingly brushed the others aside as they tried to befriend her. At first, she did exerted herself, trying to forge a smile but as the kids start to come with questions regarding her family, she chose not to reply to any of it. Soon after, a rumour circulated in the school, concerning a snobbish girl who feel that she is above others, who think that she is better than anyone else. And that girl, was none other than her. 

A few years then went by. It was still fresh on her mind, how miraculous the day was, how that person managed to imprint such a memorable impression, erasing all the sceptical view she had on people or to be exact, love. 

She wouldn't have imagined that the day would be special at all. Not when her parents had to depart to Japan for their business deal two days after celebrating her 11th birthday. Nevertheless, being the good child she is, she didn't seem to be troubled much by the fact, as it has been for a while since her parents flew back and forth between Seoul and Tokyo.

Much to her surprise, that night was quite different than the others. It was raining heavily with occasional thunderstorms. And, if there is something Umji can openly talk to others, it will be regarding her fear for the exploding sound of lightning.

Though their two storey mansion was quite full that night with one of her distance aunt and several of Namjoon's friend sleeping over, she can't stop shivering over the thought she will be sleeping alone in her room. 

But, being an independent her, Umji wanted to prove to others, especially her brother who persistently mocked her for being a cry baby. She curved a stiff smile as she boldly walked toward her room after politely rejecting her aunt's suggestion to sleep together. 

And, as she closed and stood behind the door, she quickly regretted her decision, thinking it wouldn't be too late to run toward the guest's room where her aunt is resting. Nonetheless, she cancelled the plan anyway, for she would hate to be snickered by her brother. 

Thus, she sat on the bed, tugging the blanket over head and hugging herself as she trembles over the loud bang of thunder. One thunderclap after another, and she can't seem to ignored them nor could she forced herself to sleep. 

A little while after, a flash of light followed by a big, sharp crash sound strikes her room, causing Umji to almost jump from her bed. As she was shaking in fear, a silhouette come out of nowhere, pulling her frail body into a hug. 

She was puzzled over the situation, and small part of her indeed wanted to struggle to be free from the hug, but the warmth exhibited by the person, gave her sudden comfort that she never knew exist in this world . And, as she tried to lower the blanket from her head, in order to unravel the person's identity, he further tightened the embrace which in the end Umji gave up to and eventually drifted away to the dream land on his shoulders.

She wasn't sure at what time the person left the room but when the morning arrived, as she tried to find a clue of the person, her eyes caught on a chapstick lying on her room floor. 

For an instant, her mind flew backward and she pictured the way Jungkook unnecessarily brag to others for his extensive collection of lip balms in which were needed for his chapped lips. She gasped in awe as a her cheeks turned into beet root colour. 

Afterwards, she became certain regarding her feeling for him. It wasn't the same as the way she viewed the others as her brothers, Jungkook was definitely beyond the title. 

Umji let out a sigh as the memories flash onto her. Her thoughts then drifted back to two days ago, when everything came to a conclusion.

Flashback 

It has been a week or so since Eunha had left the apartment and decided to stay in her parents' house. And, it certainly raised a concern to others. Not to mention, for the fact that she actually confessed to Yoongi which definitely made things worse. Thus, in order to help Jungkook ends all his miseries, they decided to have a meet up at Taehyung's cafe, to brainstorm on solutions to change things for better. 

"We can't let this from keep happening. I can't bear to see the disappointment in Jungkook's eyes every single time he tries to persuade Eunha." Being the most reasonable one, Yuju commented. 

"Yup, I second that." Jimin added. 
"We have to do something to stop this. Although Yoongi hyung has rejected her feelings, Eunha is still practically acting like a child, persistently clinging onto him all the time." He continued.

"Let's not forget the way she keep acting insolently toward Jungkook as well. Yerin, is there any way for us to actually seize the key to the house or something? That way, Eunha would have no choice but to return to their apartment." Namjoon tried to suggest.  

Yerin heaved a long sigh before shifting her gaze from the floor to her friends. Taehyung who sat in front of her curved a comforting smile, giving her support that she never knew she needed but immediately thankful to him as it slightly ease the tension in her. 

"Guys, I still think she just caught up between the false memory that she had. This must be one of the revenge plot she had for Jungkook. I know Eunha since she was a baby. And, that girl can be quite immature when it comes to revenge." She made a pause, inhaling a deep breath before continuing.

"Though to be fair, she did changed her attitude into more of a grown up after she graduated middle school. But, that's exactly the problem now. Eunha who wakes up from the coma is the childish her, not the one who you guys closely acquainted with." 

"This is such a pain in the ." Hoseok unnecessarily interrupted, where he ended up receiving death glares from the rest and especially Sinb, over his usage of language. 

"You could've used pain in the neck instead of that really. Mind your language would you?" Sinb retorted. 

Hoseok just shrugged his shoulder and acted nonchalantly as if he wasn't at fault. 

They then fall into a deep gloomy silent, until about 20 minutes later, Taehyung sang out, shooting his hand up in air, gaining attention from the others. 

"Honey, we are currently discussing on something gravely important here, we have no time for some jokes." Yerin said in a firm tone yet a slight exhaustion was visible at the end of her sentence. 

Jin exchange the gaze back and forth from Taehyung to her, somehow trying to figure out since when his role as a jokester was shifted to Taehyung. 

"No, you have to hear me guys. I know Eunha is kinda not in her right mind now, but what if we tried to plan on something to make her give up on Yoongi hyung?" 
"But, that doesn't even make sense, I mean even if she did gave up on Yoongi, she would still has this idea of Jungkook cheated on her. Which is totally ridiculous of course. I've never saw that kid ever budged an eye to other girl except from Eunha." Sowon bluntly rejected the idea. 

Umji remained in silence as they continue on the conversation. A deep heavy feeling of remorsefulness creeped on her skin and she almost shuddered over the thought. Yoongi who sat across her stared at her intensely, trying to figure out what has been seemed to trouble her. 

"No pumpkin, that's it! You're brilliant, Taehyung!" Jin suddenly yelled. Taehyung flashed his famous rectangular smile proudly with the compliment. 

"If we can make Eunha gave up her hopes and feelings for Yoongi then perhaps she will be more open up toward Jungkook." Jin nodded in excitement. 

"But, how?" Yoongi finally joined in. He crossed his arms, slightly furrowing his eyebrows. 

Jin smile wickedly at the others before fixing his gaze on the quiet girl. 

"Umji. That's how." 

End of Flashback

Accordingly, they come to a plan in which Umji and Yoongi is somehow having a secret relationship behind their back, that none of them was aware of, and they decided to announce the news over the dinner party that will be held at Yoongi's house tonight. 

And, as Eunha's best friend, Umji indeed wholeheartedly support the  scheme; anything needed to bring Eunha back to the way she was, she will certainly agree to it. 

Sitting in her car, waiting for traffic light to turn green, she gazed across the window, another loud sigh she breathed out, signalling how frustrated she was over the current situation. 

***

"A dinner?" Eunha reconfirmed her sister in excitement. 

"At Yoongi oppa's." Yerin repeated with thin smile. 

"But, why all of a sudden?" Eunha lifted her eyebrows. Although she can't hide her exhilaration upon hearing the name, she is still curious for the real reason behind it. 

Yerin just shrugged away the question and focus on her lunch. 

"You know what, Eunha? It will be a lot easier for you to come to Taehyung's cafe and had your lunch there instead of eating all by yourself here." She said as she shoved a mouthful of jajangmyun into .

She took a pause, munching off the noodles left in , before continuing, 

"I can't help but to worry in case something bad is happening to you." She addressed the matter in her concern voice. 

"Or, you could even stay with us if you want. Our house definitely will be brighter with an addition of new member. Plus-"
"No, unnie." Eunha firmly cut her off. 

"I can't go to the cafe or Jungkook will come to find me there. And, how could I stay with you guys, knowing it will burden you more, unnie? Thanks for the concern, but I'll be fine here."  
"Eunha-yah. I don't think it's right to keep avoiding him like this. Don't you think it was quite unfair for Jungkook? You didn't even gave him a chance to explain himself." 

Eunha stiffened. She knew that the question wasn't really one that needed an answer. But, somehow she feel a need to response thus she swallowed hard before creating a make-believe reply,

"I guess so." She said nonchalantly. 

Yerin then sighed as she looked at her sister dead in the eyes. 

"Eunha-yah. Don't you think you're going too far just for a mere nightmare? You don't even sure what is the exact story yet, don't you? What if your doctor was right? What if this is all is just a false memory after all?" 
"That still doesn't explained why Jeon Jungkook won't tell me about thing that happened a week before the accident. Taehyung oppa himself mentioned that I looked different back then. There must be something going on and he decided to keep it away from me. Don't you think it's way too suspicious unnie?" 
"Have you take a look at your diary? You might find something there." 

Eunha shook her head weakly. Although she did want to find out regarding her past, it scared her of the possibilities that she may discover once everything is revealed soon. 

"I will." She replied as she put the dirty dishes on the sink. 

***

It was just a few hours before the dinner when both Jin and Yoongi rushed to Jungkook's house. It was Saturday and knowing Jungkook won't have any social life other than being with the group, made them ascertained that he's home. 

Everything has been set up perfectly. Sowon thought it would be great to host an outdoor dining since Yoongi's bungalow has quite a spacious backyard, so Jin concluded on a spring garden party. The girls decorated the place with simple yet elegant touch, with few solar lanterns and mason jar lamps here and there, self-arrange store bought fresh flowers on the centre of the table and they even lay out some blankets on the chair, considering the chilly evening. They tried hard to create a perfect romantic setting. 

For the food, Taehyung let Jin decided on the menu since the latter enjoyed cooking more than a chef like him. Hence, to suit with everyone's palate, he prepared some BBQ party's menus like chicken grilled skewer, homemade burgers and smoked hot and spicy beef brisket with salad.

Yoongi didn't mind much about it. All he wanted was to find a way out of the problem, to help his dongsaeng to fix his marriage but he still didn't think it was a good idea to sacrifice a person's feeling in order to do so. 

If it was up to him, of course he would be more than happy to be finally served with an opportunity to be with the only girl that he ever set eyes to, but what about the girl? Would she feel the same? He can't help but to let the hopelessness overfilling him. 

"Crap." Jin said as Jungkook didn't answer the door. 

Yoongi slightly shook his head as he realised he has been out of touch with reality. 

"What if something bad happen, Yoongi?" He then rolled his eyes over Jin's uneasiness. 

"Just try again hyung. He might be sleeping or something." 
"I'm scared." 
"Hyung." Yoongi grumbled. 

A few seconds after, a clack sound was heard and Jungkook stood sombrely in front of them, rubbing his eye. 

"Oh hyung. Come in." The younger lips curved into a faint smile. 

***

"I don't feel like going though." Jungkook rejected the invitation as he caressed his nape. 

When they agreed on the plan, Sowon decided Jungkook would be the only person to be excluded from it. Naturally, the rest of them supported her as they would hate for any unwanted issue to arise in future.

"What's up with the commotion hyung? You never suggested your place whenever we hold our regular gather-out." 

Both Jin and Yoongi grew nervous, afraid that their plot will be revealed to the younger. 

"I... have something to announce. That's why." Yoongi spluttered. His eyes were all over the room, hiding his edginess. 

"Woah... That sounds important." Jungkook with a cheeky smile. 
"Of course it is, Jungkook. That's why you should go and get ready. We'll wait for you." Jin flashed a wide smile as he shooed Jungkook to his room. 

"Don't worry. We'll help you." Jin said in an extremely slow voice as Jungkook obeyed him, moving to his room to change his attire and Yoongi nodded in agreement as the words caught his ears. 

***

Eunha glared furiously at the person on her right side, feeling frustrated over the seating arrangement. 

"What are you doing here?" She hissed.

Jungkook put down both fork and knife on his hand and turned to Eunha who is literally fuming at him. 

"Look. I don't know under which illusion you are having now, but as I told you before, I have absolutely nothing to do with it. Now, can we just stop this and start eating instead?" 

Jungkook was tired. He is tired from all the arguments, her wild accusations, and constant nitpicking from Eunha. 

He even doesn't understand why his friends wanted to sit him and Eunha side by side in the first place if all they ever did is bickering with each other. And apparently, this was actually one of the reason he tried to refuse the invitation. He just wanted a peaceful weekend, to rack his brain for a way to return Eunha's trust for him. 

Their attention were then shifted to Jin who tinkled his wine glass all of a sudden; the sound of spoon tinkling against the glass brought a hush to conversations. 

"Yoongi has a hot news for you guys." He proudly grinned, establishing his acting that almost fooled everyone especially the two who are oblivious to it, Eunha and Jungkook. 

The rest of them tried their best to hide their wry smile when Yoongi stood up and took Umji hand who is smiling bashfully at him. 

"What. The. Heck." Eunha unconsciously blurted out as her crush gave a quick peck on her best friend's cheek. 

And, it all start to make sense to her. Just now, when they were preparing the food, Eunha can't took her eyes off the pair as Yoongi being overly intimate with Umji, playfully teasing the girl and keep googly-eyeing her. 

He had always been acting lovably weird in a goofy sweet way when it comes to Umji but somehow Eunha got an ominous hunch that today is slightly different.

"What is this all about? Why did he kissed Umji? And why did Umji seems like she's fine with it?"

She questioned more as the previous one get ignored. 

"Don't you get it, Eunha? She's Yoongi hyung's girlfriend. They've been seeing each other for a while. They just didn't know when would it be a perfect time to share the good news." Jimin on her left explained thoroughly to the confused girl with a smirk. 

"Are they serious or what?" She asked suspiciously in almost inaudible tone. 

As Jimin wanted to respond, Jungkook stood, clapping in amusement.  

"Is this true, hyung? Umji? Oh gosh congrats guys!" 

Umji slightly winced when Jungkook excitedly looked at her with a glint of genuine joy in his eyes. To be honest, she was quite flabbergasted when Yoongi spontaneously kiss her, unscripted. 

And, the way Jungkook react to the news certainly doesn't made her feel better about it. 

Umji tried her best to stay in the act as she curved the widest smile she could ever fake. 

"Am I the only one who couldn't get the sign? I'm so stupid." Jungkook smile broadly as he lightly smack his head.

Ps: Listen to Sung Si Kyung- Letters of Tears to understand Umji's feelings better.

Pss: It's funny how I wanted Eunha to be the one who safe Jungkook from his gloomy world and Jungkook for Umji's. 😅😝