Family

House of card: Her

"Is there anything I can help?" 

 

Umji who was standing in front of the sink, turned to see Jungkook poking his head from the kitchen's arch with a jolly grin. She and Yerin were supposedly the person in charge for the dishes, however the latter had to leave early to pack things for her upcoming conference in Daegu. Thus, unwittingly leaving all the work to the kind-hearted girl.

 

The others had already gathered at the living room, watching movie and hanging around as they done cleaning up the backyard. And, Jungkook thought it wouldn't be fair for the girl to handle the dishes alone, thus he came to the rescue. 

 

"Oh oppa." She replied with a nervous smile, eyes away from his, intending to hide her blushed cheek. 

 

She glanced on Jungkook as the latter put the dirty dishes on the countertop. 

 

"I'd be glad to lend a hand." He said  with a sweet smile as he put on the rubber gloves. 

 

"But... I'll be done soon though."

"With this mound of dirty dishes? Don't joke with me." He playfully creased his forehead as he nodded towards heaps of plates and silverwares. He then grinned widely as he managed to get the girl to let out a small chuckle. 

 

The girl moved about a step to the side, giving him more space at the sink. 

 

"So... Umji." He called her with his bright voice. 

 

"Hmm?" She simply hummed, still focusing on the plate. 

 

"Why didn't you tell me you were dating?" 

 

Umji could feel her whole body hardened with the question. She glanced peripherally on the guy at her side, wondering his true intentions with a wide smile spread across his face. 

 

"We... wanted to make it as subtle as possible." She embraced herself for instant made-up lie. 

 

"Well, I think it's pretty cool, you and hyung. How long have you been together?" His eyes had move towards the plate, yet the cheerful tone and smile is still there. 

 

Umji eyes were all over the place, pondered on the answer. It was surprising how she hold her breath long enough as she gathered her thought for the next answer. She tried to act as calm as possible when she uttered, 

 

"A few days before the accident." 

 

And, she instantly feel something in her stomach, pulling all the flesh inside as she blurt out words of complete fabrication. 

 

"Oh." Jungkook face immediately grew solemn and he sounded much bitter than he was just now. 

 

"I was in Korea at that time so he asked for a meet up. Oppa then asked me to be his girlfriend, confessing his love for me." She lied again through her teeth as she realised his reaction. 

 

"That's explained everything." He tried to sound brighter yet the pain in his voice was inevitable. Umji turned to him, her eyes were fixed on Jungkook's sullen face. 

 

"I'm sorry, oppa." She hesitantly muttered. Jungkook immediately shifted his gaze from the plate towards the apologetic girl. 

 

"What? Oh no, why?" 

"For not telling you. And for-"

 

"Stop blaming yourself for everything, Umji." He softly cut her off. 

 

Umji gazed downwards, her eyes were plastered on the plates, avoiding his stare. She froze in the moment, even when part of her was ready to dash away from him. 

 

"I'm glad you're happy, Umji. It's been a while since I saw that wide smile curved on your lips. And, just as I told you a while ago, you should smile more often. They looked beautiful on you." He genuinely said. 

 

Umji could feel her heart beats start to drop with his gentle, sweet-sounding voice. She looked up to met his brooding eyes that were peering at her. She stared onto him unblinking as constant thought lingered, 'how could someone be so beautiful with such a painful smile?' And, it quickly turned into, 'you're such a terrible person.' Soon after, an instant remorse start to crawl inside and she resented herself for the guilty feeling.

 

"Yewon-ah. Can you pass the beer in the fridge?" Their attention then diverted to Namjoon who shouted from the living room. 

 

And, for the moment, Umji has never been more thankful for Namjoon's clinginess toward her. She quickly walked to the fridge, and with a two can of beers, she leaved the guy alone without even looking back. 

 

***

 

Eunha tapped her feet impatiently as the car stop at the red light. They were on the way going home after dinner party at Yoongi's and since Eunha refused to stay longer considering the disturbing feeling that she got after the revelation, she asked Taehyung and Yerin to drop her off to her house. She let out sigh after sigh at the back seat as she was reminded by thing that happened just now. 

 

"Why does it have to be Umji?" She mumbled, which gain attention from both Taehyung and Yerin. 

 

"Hmm?" Taehyung peeked at the girl through the rearview mirror. 

 

"I can't do anything now when I know it's her." She huffed as she crossed her arms out of irritation.

 

"And, what will you do if it's somebody else?" Yerin turned from the passenger seat, cocking her eyebrows. 

 

"Well, at least I can hate the girl." Eunha pouted as she continued her sentence. 

 

"But, now that I know it's Umji, I can't help but to root for their relationship. She is so innocent and always put me first in everything. Tell me how do I hate such an angelic soul?" 

 

When she confessed to Yoongi in order to piss Jungkook off the other day, Eunha got a sense of foreboding that the guy certainly had someone that he is interested to. She is just unsure of who could it be. And, just when she thought it wouldn't bother her much since she already had a husband even though more likely an unfaithful one  and her feeling for Yoongi was no more than infatuation, there is still a slight twinge of pain when the girl turned out to be none other than her bestie. 

 

"Because, as much as I want to be happy, I think she deserves happy ending more than I do." She heaved a long sigh. 

 

Taehyung lips curved into a mischievous smile as he realised Jin's plan was a great success. The only reason why Jin wanted Umji to be the one who filled the place for Yoongi's fake girlfriend is because he knew that Eunha won't do anything if it is Umji. The girl had grown very fond of the latter, she can only hope happiness for her best friend. 

 

However, as for Yerin, the statement somehow enraged her more than it should be. She took a deep breath, controlling the anger that builds in her. 

 

"What do you have against Yoongi oppa's girlfriend, really?" Yerin unknowingly groaned out of exasperation, which surprised her husband who tried his best to focus on his driving. 

 

Eunha winced, taken aback by the remark. She then snarled at Yerin, slightly widening her eyes.

 

"I like him. That's why."

 

Yerin adjusted herself once again, glaring at her sister on the back seat.

 

"Behaved yourself, Jung Eunha. You're so crazy of Yoongi oppa, it is getting out of hand and it doesn't even worth anything at all." 

 

The sound of her teeth greeting, fuming over Eunha's indifference scared Taehyung on her side. 

 

"Well, at least he is better than someone who only know how to run from his problem." Eunha's eyes were straight on hers, deadpanned.

 

Yerin heaved a sigh loudly. She tried to argue more as she can't help to feel bad every time she recalled how desperate Jungkook was when her sister won't even budged an ear for his explanations. 

 

But, just when she wanted to say something, Taehyung nudged his wife slightly, warning her that it doesn't seem like a good idea to start a fight with an immature girl. 

 

"There, there girls. I know things got heated out a bit. But, who wants ice cream?" Taehyung flashed his innocence smile as he stopped by a convenience store. Being a good husband and brother in law he is, he knew that only ice cream could stop them from being at each other's throat. 

 

"Me!" Both of them sang out happily, forgetting whatever argument they had just now. 

 

***

 

The next morning, Jungkook went to Taehyung's cafe; the only place he knew Eunha would hang out to spare her time. He had tried ringing the bell at her parents house but to his despair, no one answered them and his mind immediately wandered to how Yerin would constantly voice out her frustration over Eunha who keep rejecting her invitation to go to the cafe. 

 

In that instant, as he saw a glimpse of the girl sitting on the corner of coffee shop, his eyes glistened with shine of joy and he quickly approached her. 

 

"What do you want?" 

 

There was still slight annoyance in her tone even when she had softened herself more than usual today. Perhaps, due to the squabbling with Yerin last night had finally knock a sense into her. 

 

And, somehow that was all needed for Jungkook to feel tiny tinge of hope that they could have a proper conversation this time. 

 

"I'm so not into talk these days. Especially with YOU." She stressed on the you as the guy pulled a sit in front of her. 

 

Jungkook cleared his throat and looked at her with his calm, gentle eyes. He sat up straight, carefully arranged his sentence, trying not to sound desperate to the latter. Even though, he himself knew well that he had failed, the moment he opened his mouth. 

 

"Yerin noona told me that's she'll be out of town for a week starting tomorrow. So-"

"So? So what?"

 

Yerin who sat across the room, was busy with her laptop, preparing the slides for her conference when she heard the slight raised in her sister tone. She shifted her gaze towards the pair and arched her eyebrows as she realised the situation. She then scooted over to hear more of the conversation. 

 

Jungkook swallowed hard before he tentatively voice out his concern. He looked deep into her eyes as he uttered, 

 

"The crime rate has been reported to be increasing nowadays. And, you'll be alone. I was just worried of you. That's all." 

"Oh stop overreacting. It's just for a couple of days. I'll be fine." She rolled her eyes over the unnecessary comment. 

 

"Besides, you don't expect me to come back to the house with such a lame excuse do you?" She scoffed. 

 

Jungkook took a long pause, thinking about what should he gave as a reply when the girl was right after all. Being there, picking out 9 o'clock news about crimes and stuffs was just another pretence that he created in other to bring her back to their apartment. 

 

His eyes were practically on the hard floor and somehow Eunha feel a need to wait for a respond, thus she tapped her feet lightly and crossed her arms out of frustration. 

 

"24 years old Eunha won't say things like that." He finally blurted out something that he immediately regretted the moment it come out. And, he then did several of internal head smacking as he heard the girl snickered at him. 

 

"Well, guess what, Jeon Jungkook. 24 years old Eunha is not here. It's me. And, I don't know why should I explain myself all over again but haven't I made it clear before? You'll be crazy to still think that I'm the one who fall head over heels for you." She looked at him with sneer of disgust. 

 

His eyes then widened in shock when the girl shoved him a rounded-shiny thing that she put on her palm. 

 

"With this, I think it is enough, right? You do understand, don't you? I hope you won't call me anymore after this." 

 

Jungkook could feel his heart broken to pieces as his disbelief eyes locked onto the shiny thing. He then raised his face wretchedly as the girl put their wedding ring on the table and walked away from the place, toward the back of house of the cafe. 

 

***

 

"And, that is the very reason I think we should ask for settlement."

 

Umji was in her deep thought when she was puzzled by the usage of legal jargon by Jin. They were at her living room, discussing on a better way to handle the lawsuit as it would eventually become her loss if the company continued on the claim. 

 

"You mean dispute of out court?" She clarified him. Jin nodded his head briefly. 

 

"Maybe, it's better if we just suggest for joint stipulation and dismissed the case." He continued with a disquiet voice. Umji blinked, contemplating a decision. 

 

"I don't want you to suffer more considering all the tension and stress that may come with the trial later." He looked at the girl with a warm smile. 

 

Umji let out a sigh, was half-opened, probably trying to uttered something relevant to the subject but she cancelled it anyway for nothing had come to her mind at the moment. 

 

And, as Jin stared onto those weary face, his heart ached. Umji must be tired, and the lawsuit was responsible for only less than half of it. Jin was pretty sure the girl had something else in her mind that had been bothering her. And, that is when he unconsciously says his thought out loud, 

 

"What are you so worried about?"

 

Umji almost twitched away with the sudden question. Her eyes roamed around the room, trying to calm her unsteady heart beat. For the first time, the sound of Jin's impatient breathing scared her more than a thunderclap. 

 

But, being an oblivious him, he then make his own conclusion over her lengthy silence. 

 

"Is it because of Eunha? Are you afraid that she'll find out our plan?"  He scratched his non itchy head. 

 

And, Umji start to breath out and smile in relief as she was saved by his senselessness. 

 

"I was just tired. That's all." She tried to curve a brighter smile. 

 

***

 

There was an eerie silence as Yerin drove Eunha's back to her parents house. They both sat quietly, ignoring each other as the tire smoothly rolled down to the destination. 

 

"Why do you do that to Jungkook?" Yerin finally broke the ice, her voice trembled as she tried to hide her anger. 

 

Eunha sighed frustratedly as she realised that Yerin is still not getting over the argument that they had last night. 

 

"Unnie. I really love you. But, can't you just please stop mentioning that person name whenever it's possible?" The way Eunha exhaustedly rejected the topic, somehow made it come out more like a plead. 

 

Yerin acted calmly at first but under the surface was seething. Her inside start to boil as she was reminded of the way her sister treated Jungkook just now. To be honest, she was nearly at her ends point last night before Taehyung manage to break them apart. 

 

If it wasn't for Taehyung, she would have raged out and questioned on her sister's intolerant behaviour toward her husband. That's when she noticed it. Taehyung was not there to stop them, to sugarcoat them with ice cream, to cool them down with his soothing smile. And, this could signify a probability of world war 3 to launch between them.

 

"Eunha. You should stop acting like an immature brat. This is not a child play we're talking here. He's your husband, Eunha." Yerin huffed away as she couldn't stand her sister's childish act anymore. Eunha blinked in disbelief over her sister's harsh tone. 

 

"Unnie." She whimpered.

 

"Whether you like it or not, it was you who choose to marry him in the first place. And, that guy has sacrificed his whole life for you Eunha. It was just you who was so oblivious to everything." 

 

And, in that moment, a quiet sniffle was heard from the passenger side. 

 

Yerin took a peek at her sister, an instant conscience-stricken overfilled her due to the outburst. The girl looked away in a distance, trying to confessed her feelings to her older sister. 

 

"I'm scared unnie." She finally revealed her mind. 

 

All this while, after the nightmare disturbed her regularly at nights, she tried to act strong, to act as rudely tough as she could, to hide her confusion as she tried to entangle the mystery behind them. And, she was nearly in her verge of everything's, when suddenly her own family, her beloved sister, the only one who she hoped could stand for her, decided to turn her back on her as well. 

 

"I don't know which one is true and which one is a lie. I wanted to believe him, I really do. It did breaks my heart to see the dejection in his genuine eyes, but I'm scared unnie. What if my suspicion was proven to be true? I don't think I can't handle another disappointment when I knew he wasn't being true to me after all." Tears start to trickle down her cheeks. 

 

Yerin immediately pulled over and reached her sister for a hug. The latter sobbed loudly, bumming her head to her older sister's shoulder. 

 

"I'm... sorry. I... make... everything seems... worse." Were all that Yerin could caught between the sobs. 

 

***

 

Jungkook groaned as the blinding sun shined through his room. He rubbed his eyes and peered at the blurred figure of his alarm clock before realising the painfully squeezing sensation over his head. 

 

It was Monday and he was supposed to get ready for work but his headache and sore throat was severe enough that he ought to text his manager for a sick leave. He probably got ill after standing in the cold rain yesterday as he wandered aimlessly, broken hearted by her wife's nonchalance. 

 

"Granted. Take a good care of yourself." 

 

Is all that he got as a reply from Mr Kang. Somehow, his manager had become more lenient these days and it of course gave a great advantage for him. 

 

He then headed to the kitchen for some water when the doorbell rings. 

 

He staggered disorientedly to the door, almost stumbled over the coffee table on the living room. 

 

As he unlocked the door and pull it wide opened, a familiar figure was standing tall, outside his apartment with an unrecognisable blank look on his face. Awkwardly, the person extended his hand towards him, offering a handshake. 

 

Jungkook was frozen to the spot. He couldn't believe his eyes as he finally could installed the memory of the figure. He swallowed lumps in his throat as he greeted the long-lost person. 

 

"Hi... appa?"

 

And, it came out a lot more unusual that he had ever remembered.

 

 

Ps: I'm sorry for the delayed upload but I got so many thing to handle at once, I lacked of time to finished the chapter 😢