Cup of coffee

House of card: Her

 

"Why did I marry you, Jungkook?" 

He took a glance at her as the car stop for the red light. It hurts him to see the bright eyes that full of affection like years ago was not there anymore. All he can see now is just blank, empty eyes. He then continue his driving as the light turns green. 

"So, I guess you're not going to answer this either, huh?" She starts to raise her voice. And, that's what Jungkook hate the most. When people speak disrespectfully at him. 

But, Jungkook wants to understand her, no. He need to understand her more so he just let out another sigh and despondently said, 

"Perhaps I'm the one who have to ask this question now. Not you." 

And, with that he ignores her wife's death glare. 

***

They arrived at their apartment at 9  pm. Eunha was looking at her watch all the time to reduce the awkwardness, so she knew exactly the time of their arrival. She opened up the door after Jungkook unlock their password, to see a pair was brightly staring, waiting for them. 

"Omma! Appa!" She cried. 

She quickly pull them into a hug and kiss their cheeks. 

"I miss you! Why didn't you come to the hospital?" She whined. Jungkook silently greets both of them as he bows down. He then excused himself to the room to put her bag that she throws off in the air excitedly as she hugs her parents. 

Eunha took a glance at Jungkook and quickly turn her gaze toward her parents. She pull their hands to sit with her at the couch. 

"Oh Eunha, how are you doing dear? We were so glad that you finally got discharged from the hospital." Her mother said as she hold her shoulder. She pout heavily as she looks into her eyes. 

"If you really are worried of me then why won't you come to the hospital?" She crossed her arm.

"They did. But, you were still in coma at that time." Jungkook said as he come with two cups of tea and some biscuits. She squinted her eyes at him before turning towards her father who is on her left.

"Well, you should've come everyday if you really love me." She said as she clung onto her father's arm. Both her parents laugh as they saw Eunha's childish side. They've been informed by Yerin in advance, so they weren't that shocked when Eunha keep acting like that. 

"You might've forget about this, but we don't live in Seoul anymore baby." Her mother said as she pat her youngest daughter's head. She then run her fingers through Eunha's hair and smile. 

"We moved back to our hometown, honey." 
"You what?" Eunha pulled away, staring intensely at her mother. She then turns to her father as she did not get the answer that she want.  

"But why?" She furrows her eyebrows. 

"Just because." Her father chuckled as she starts to groans out of frustration. 

"Why did everyone wants to keep a secret from me, really." She murmured under her breath. 

***

Umji opened up the door of her hotel room when she realise who is the guest through the peek hole. 

"Unnie!" She exclaimed excitedly. 

Sowon pull her into a hug before pulling away, looking at her with a bright smile. 

"I miss you so much kid!" 

Umji quickly invited her over and they both sat on the chair in the corner of the room. 

"You could've tell me you have a runaway in Seoul, unnie." 

Sowon is a model, in the same company as her. In fact, when she first utter her intention to become a professional model, Sowon is the one who tries her hardest to introduce her to the agency. Sowon smiled to the younger as she took a look of the room. 

"It's quite big considering you already told them that you're going to quit." 
"Well, they only pay for the first few nights. They immediately cease the payment after the show in Incheon was over a few days ago." She said as she walks off to her bag. 

"Lucky for you I just went to the convenience store. Want some beer?" 

She then throw a can of beer and a plastic of dried squid as the latter nods towards her. 

***

"So, you moved back to Suncheon just because you've retired? You could still stay in Seoul though. What's up with the sudden plan, appa?" 
"Your mom wanted to have a peaceful life in a countryside and that's the very reason we decided to live there. Besides, we have planned it all since you guys were in high school. 

Eunha took a deep breath with the word 'high school'. It was the period that she wasn't able to experience. She let out a deep sigh and look away. That is when her eyes met her husband who has been staring at her for a while. 

Jungkook quickly look away as he realise he has been caught. He then nervously caress the back of his neck as he said, 

"Have you had your dinner, abuji, ommonim? I could prepare something for you guys." 

***

Eunha's face turn sullen as her parents stated that they'll be staying at Yerin's. The reason was rather simple, Yerin's house was located a distance away from KTX's station, so it was easier and a bit cheaper for them to travel there by taxi. 

However, it somehow sounded more to a lame excuse to her, so she can't help but not to feel offended by it. 

"But why? Does she has bigger house than ours?" She whispered to Jungkook as they waved them goodbyes. Jungkook then let out a chuckle and call her inside. 

"You don't want to catch a cold, right? Let's go, Eunha." 

***

"I'm serious, Umji! Jin won't stop bombarding me with text messages just because I told him I'm going to meet you first!" Sowon exclaimed as she sigh in annoyance. 

"We have dated for 10 years and he still act like a baby." Umji's laugh become louder with time. She looks amusedly towards Sowon as another katalk sound appear. 

"Is it him again?" She wiggles her eyebrows. But, this time instead of a laugh, she stares at the text message that Sowon showed her with brooding eyes. She let out a sigh as she said, 

"Just tell them truth unnie." 
"About what?" Sowon lift her eyebrows. She loves the girl, and always agree on whatever she had to say but sometimes her behaviour is a little bit unpredictable. 

"About me not coming back. And about you who couldn't persuade me to go back." She puts the empty cans away and opened up another. She shoved one to Sowon but the girl was feeling all tipsy with her last can so she decided to reject it. 

"But, I still didn't do anything to be fair." 
"Are you still insisting I should go back then?"
"Well, you know we have a branch in Korea, right? You can work there." 
"For what? So they could make a slave out of me again? 
In the end, all they do is sending me away from Korea, all around the world."

Umji breath in deeply before looking at Sowon. 

"Unnie. You know it wasn't my dream to become a model, right? I just chose the career because-" 
"Because?" She cuts her off. 

"Because I was trying to run from reality. The reality that has been hurting me. But, I don't want to do this anymore. Not with Eunha unnie's recent incident. I don't think I should do this anymore. I should stay by her side."
"Eunha? What happened to her?" 


Sowon widened her eyes, interested of what is coming next.

"She...." Umji took a pause. There is deep guilt in her words. 

"Lost her memory when she tried to save Jungkook oppa from a car crash."  

*** 

Jungkook was getting ready for bed when he realised Eunha was intensely staring at him. He lift his eyebrows, silently questioning the girl. But, she ignores him and continue to stare at him. He then voice out something to make the situation less awkward.

"Are you drooling over my body or what?" 
"What? Oh gosh! Ewwww!" 

He burst out laugh as he saw how disgusted Eunha with his sly remark. 

"Stop being so full of yourself. I'm not 24 years old Eunha. I'm 15 years old Eunha." 
"What's the difference? You're still Eunha though."
"Yes, but 24 years old Eunha maybe would've like it when you said something like that because she obviously falling head over heels for you but I'm not." 

Jungkook smiles as he sit himself on the small sofa. He fixed his gaze towards his wife before uttering, 

"What should I do to make 15 years old Eunha feel the same then?" 

Eunha was startled with the sudden question. She would've never thought that question could come from Jungkook. But, she tried her best to put up her emotionless expression as she faced him. 

"Nothing." She said indifferently.

Jungkook nods slowly as he lost in thoughts. To be truth, he could've guess that would be the answer. 

"Although to be fair, I kind of imagine myself to be with someone who is..." 

He directs his attention towards Eunha again as she took a pause. 

"Who is?" 
"Well let's just say someone who is not you."
"Why? I thought I'm quite charming in my own way." He smirks. 
"Well, I guess you're just not my type." 
"What style of guy do 15 years old Eunha like then?" 

Eunha let out a chuckle as she finds the conversation has become too intense. 

"Hmmm.. I kinda have a soft spot for someone who is cold on the outside and sweet on the inside."
"That's me!" He exclaimed excitedly. 
"No, not you. You're... too nice. Not my cup of tea." 
"Well, if I can't become your cup of tea, I shall be cup of coffee then. Although 15 years old Eunha loves tea, 24 years old Eunha prefers coffee more."

He put his head on the top of the sofa, closing his eyes. Eunha knows that there is hurt on the sentence. She can sensed it. But, she just wanted to joke a little bit more so she said,

"Well, guess what Jungkook-shi. I'm not 24 years old Eunha, so you just lose your chance." 

Jungkook opened his eyes again and blinks at Eunha. He wanted to make sure the girl was still fooling around and he sighs in relief as he saw her cheeky smile. 

"Okay let's be serious though. Is there anything you wanted to ask? I saw your confused face over the conversation with your parents. And also the way you're looking at me just now, I guess you really wanted to say something right?"

Eunha widened her eyes as she was amazed with Jungkook's abilities to understand her more that she understand herself. She inhaled deeply as she grab one of the pillow and curled her arm over it. 

"Hmmm... I was just amazed of 24 years old Eunha. I mean, I really wanted to get to know her more. I admired her for giving her all out for the guy that she loves."  
"And what do you mean by that?" 

The bed and the sofa was facing each other so it was quite impossible for Eunha to see her husband reaction. But, she still sensed uncertainty in his words. Perhaps it is because he is worried how does this will turn into. 

"It was not easy to sacrifice your own life for someone." She said as she closed her eyes. 

Her eyes feel heavy all of a sudden and deep within, she would like to just ignore the confused Jungkook. But, she felt bad for doing so thus she continued. 

"But, I have to admit. I do understand her viewpoint. I would've done the same."
"You do?" 

Jungkook stare intensely at Eunha as he was startled with sudden statement. She just nod her head slowly as she start to lose her consciousness. 

"It was just like when I tighten my belt in school for months to save some money so that I could buy Beast oppas' merchandises. So yeah. I understand her well." 

And, with that Jungkook gave his wide smile as he saw she is dozing off. 'She looks better when she is asleep.'