Second Lead Syndrome

House of card: Her

It was a few minute before his lunch break end as Jungkook rush to his usual place, their company's rooftop. He quickly chose a place near the transparent glass where he could have a full of view of the city, unwrapped two triangle kimbap and shove one to his mouth. 

"Hey, Jungkook-shi." A voice called from his behind. 

Jungkook turned to the voice to see one of his colleagues, Deputy Shin was grinning at him. He then rose up and bowed towards him. 

"Oh. Hello, Deputy Shin."
"I guess you just finished your report, huh?" Asked Deputy Shin as he sat beside him. 

Jungkook just smiled at him and took a sip of his banana milk. Deputy Shin let out a loud sigh and pat his shoulder. 

"It must be hard for you. People always look down upon you, saying that you're hired because of the connection you have with Mr Kang, and not for your skills."
"Well, I have to admit that I did got the job because Mr Kang is a very good friend of my father in law." He said, humbly smiled. 

"No, Jungkook-shi. You've done a very good job to prove them wrong. You're now better than most of them. You stay late every night, , finish your work on time and you even never absent from our dinner outing. You always burnt yourselves out just to show people that you're diligent and dedicated to your work. But, they still look at you the same way otherwise."

Jungkook took a bite of his second triangle kimbap before he turned to Deputy Shin.   

"I didn't do it to to exceed their expectation nor to show them that I have each rights for the job, Deputy Shin. I simply do it because I think of the job as my own responsibility. Plus, the workload is nothing to compare to all the experiences that I've achieved after finishing my task. It's quite tiring but it's fun in the same time."

Deputy Shin let out another sigh as he looked at his naive face.

"Jungkook-shi. I've heard from Mr Kang that your wife got into car accident, isn't it? I guess this is the reason why you're always having convenience store's triangle kimbap as your lunch these days. How's she? Is she getting better?"
"Hmm... yes, she is." He curved a faint smile as he heard the question. 

To be honest, he absolutely unsure of what should he gave as an answer. Yes, Eunha is getting better. However, not in terms of her memories. 'I should find the necklace fast to return everything back to the way it should be.' He thought as he took his last bite of the kimbap. 

***

Hoseok took a swig of his large water bottle before passing it out to Sinb. They were just finished rehearsing some new steps for their students. The girl just looked at him weirdly before rejecting his offer. 

"No, thank you." She then walked away, grabbing her phone inside her bucket bag. 

The guy looked away as jealousy instantly overwhelming him, seeing  the girl was bashfully smiling; perhaps due to some text that she received from her students. 

"Yo!" A voice shouted from afar. 

Hoseok immediately turned to the voice to see Jimin was approaching him with a wide grin. 

"What are you doing here at this hour? I thought you don't have any class today, isn't it?" 
"Nope. But, I miss you." Jimin said and Sinb gave a judging look to both of them. 

"Err... I don't want to be a party pooper but please. I had enough with Jin oppa and Sowon unnie two days ago, so I would be very grateful if both of you could tone it down a little bit." 

Hoseok then smirked and ruffled her hair as he approached the girl. 

"What the? Dude!" She yelled. 
"Geez... I'm not a kid anymore, okay?" She hissed as she saw Hoseok's playful grin. 

"You will always be to me. Now, go and practice more. We don't want any complain about an untalented dance teacher." He said sternly as he pointed out to her phone, signalling she should stop staring at it. 

"It's my mom! She wanted to know at what time I finished my class. That's all."
"That doesn't explain you're hideously grinning at your phone earlier."
"Well, that's because she said she's going to cook spicy grilled baby octopus as our dinner tonight.  It is my favourite dish, so of course I can't help not to be excited about it! Erghhh... why do I have to explain everything to you. You're not my brother, dude!"
"Hwang Eunbi! Stop talking to me like I'm one of your friend. Although I did told you to drop the honorific, that doesn't mean you can call me carelessly like dude, friend and stuff. Call me oppa." 
"What? No! Why should I?"
"But, I am older than you so..."
"You call me Eunbi too! I don't like that name! It doesn't suit me. It sound so girlish, pretentious and unlike me!"
"No, it's not!"
"IT IS!"

"Err... guys..." Jimin tried to interrupt. 

"Ergh. Never mind! Why did I waste my whole brain cells just to have a conversation like a person like you." 

Sinb then stomped away from both of them. Hoseok squinted his eyes at the girl before turning to Jimin who was silently laughing at his side. 

"You know she won't fall for you with such a childish trick like that, don't you?"
"W-what? No! There's nothing between us, okay?"
"Are you sure about that?" Jimin said with his wicked grin. 

Hoseok just huffed him away as he muttered,

"You're nobody to judge me in the first place. You and Yuju were practically the same, right?" 
"No, we're not. We're a little bit official than both of you."
"Official? A fling? You must be joking, huh? You've been crushing on her since forever, yet you're so scared that she'll rejected you so that's why you didn't confess until now, right?"
"That... is certainly not the reason why I didn't confess. I just... wanted it to be less complicated."
"Chicken." Hoseok mischievously smirk at him. 

"Dude!" Jimin said as he nudged the latter's shoulder. 

"Ergh! I didn't come here for this." He said as he ran his finger through his hair out of frustration. 

"There's something I need to talk to you." 

***

Umji sighed in relief as she done studying the content of her lawsuit which has been summarised by Jin. She took another look at it until she felt her head throbbing in pain due to lack of sleep, so she put away her laptop and leaned back to her chair. 

"I really need some rest." She said while yawning. 

As she spun herself around the room and her eyes wandered aimlessly to the ceiling, a memory then flashed onto her mind. 

Flashback 

Jungkook was humming cheerfully with a rack of beer on his left shoulder. Umji on her side was staring at him intensely, flabbergasted by his superb strength. 

"How do you even manage to do that?" She asked. 

"Oh this? I do 30 push ups with squats and plank every day. They're my regular morning routine." He proudly said. 
"You do?" 
"Oh gosh, Umji. I'm just kidding!" He laughed at her. 

Umji blinks innocently a few second before joining the laugh. 

"Of course I'm not. I don't even have time to have a proper breakfast. You know I work in the office, right? Sometimes, I have to lift reams of paper per day. So, I guess I gain extra muscle by doing that." Umji's face immediately grew solemn as she heard the story. 

"I'm... sorry to hear that." 
"What? No, Umji. Why would you be? I'm fine. I'm okay, Umji." Jungkook calmly smiled at her. 

"Why didn't you tell Eunha unnie about this?"
"I... don't want she to blame herself for what happened. Plus, we might've not be able to get married if I told her the truth. She would've throw tantrum at her father, and as the result, he would practically split us apart." 

Umji let out a sigh as she saw the way Jungkook was gratefully smiling at the thought. 'Oppa must've love Eunha unnie a lot.' 

"Hmmm... oppa?" She broke the silence. 

"Yes, Umji?" 
"I'm sorry." She said. Short, yet with a profound meaning. Jungkook took a deep breath as he shook his head gently. 

"Umji-ah. Don't be sorry. It's not your fault." 
"But, it's not your fault either." Umji hung her head. 

"I know." He said with a dejected tone. 

"I guess it wasn't anyone's fault. The situation has forced us into such fate."

Umji exhaled deeply in despair. She then took a look at Jungkook's grave face as she uttered, 

"So... you're not going to tell unnie?" 

Jungkook flinched a little with the question. He then try to curve a smile at the latter. 

"I want her to remember by herself. And, I'll explained thoroughly to her when the time come."
"You'll... be fine, right?"
"Of course." Jungkook nodded as he looked at Umji with a comforting smile. 

End of Flashback

"I really hope that everything will turn better once Eunha unnie could remember everything soon." She said as her gaze fixed on the ceiling. 

***

"Have you had your dinner yet?" 

It was almost 11 pm when Jungkook arrived home. And, the first thing that he saw was an adorable sight of Eunha munching off her snacks. Her eyes were literally on the tv screen as she shook her head to the question. 

"Hi, husband." 

Jungkook bummed his body towards the couch, taking a seat beside her. 

"Why didn't you had your dinner yet? I've wrote some numbers for you to call for food delivery, right?" 
"I... just don't feel like eating." 

Jungkook titled his head at Eunha in amusement.

"Are you sure this is the same Eunha we're talking about?" Eunha made a face as she heard Jungkook is giggling at her side. She then turned to her husband with a curious look. 

"Why?" Jungkook asked with his soft voice. 

"Put all jokes aside. I need you to clarify something for me." 
"ls this going to be long? Because I'm terribly exhausted with all the reports nearing the deadlines and I haven't submitted even one." 

Eunha took a glance at Jungkook's worn out face before uttering,

"It's okay. We'll just talk about this later." 
"No. Tell me now. It seems like it have been bothering you for a while, that's why you refuse to eat, right?"

A pang of regret jolted through her, and she was having second thought whether she should ask regarding the matter. It doesn't matter how much she really want to understand the guy, she will always fail to do so. In contrast, Jungkook will always be one step ahead of her in terms of understanding herself. 

She looked away for a few second and sighed. 

"Well, it's not that important-"
"I insist." He cut her off with his gentle voice. 

"Besides, if you didn't tell me now then it will probably eat me up until tomorrow. I don't want to stay up and keep on thinking about it." He calmly smile at her. 

"Hmm... to be honest, when you and Umji went to buy beers, I stumbled across Yoongi oppa. And..."
"What's wrong with that? He also attends the dinner." He tried to curve a smile despite the dull atmosphere that surrounds them with the name. 

"Of course, nothing is wrong with that." She hides her blushed cheek which made him feel way worse. He then shift his gaze at the tv, holding the surge of emotion coming at him at the moment. 

"But, I can't keep my eyes off this shiny thing around his hand-"
"A bracelet?" He asked nonchalantly, his eyes still on the tv. 

"Yes!" She exclaimed excitedly before turning to her husband with a dubious stare. 'Is he somewhat a mind reader? How come he knows exactly what I was thinking?' She shook her head and fixed her gaze at him. 

"What's up with the bracelet? It's so tacky and doesn't suit him at all."
"Umji gave it to him. 8 years ago. Somewhat a friendship bracelet I believe." He said indifferently. 

Eunha sat in deep silence, dejected by the statement. 'I wonder if I ever meant anything to Yoongi oppa.'

"I guess he really does cherished it that much to even wear it until now." She blurted out. And, Jungkook notice the immediate falter in her tone. 

Jungkook let out a sigh and cupped her cheeks. 

"Who said you are allowed to do such gloomy face in front of me, huh?" Eunha pouted, eyes looking away. 

"Let's order in." He suddenly sprang out of the couch for his phone. 

"I've told you that I don't feel like having anything, right?" 
"This is not just anything, Eunha. I'm going to order some spicy fried chicken. Are you in?" 

And, her eyes were bright as ever as she nodded frantically at the question. 

***

"Chicken's here!" Jungkook called his wife as he done paying the delivery guy. 

Eunha rushed to the door, grabbing the box of chicken from him. She put the box on the table in front of the tv and quickly take a grip of a drumstick. 

"And, where had the person who said that she wanted to skip her dinner disappear to?" Jungkook snicker. 
"Oh, shut up. You know I can never said no to a chicken, don't you?"

"Hmm... maybe I should become a chicken then." Eunha giggled at the remark. 

Jungkook opened up a can of beer and took a sip of it before shoving a whole chicken wing into his mouth. He then stared onto the tv screen. 

"What is this? Makjang drama?" Eunha silently nodded as she gave her full concentration at the drama.

"I don't even know why but I find this type of drama is kinda appealing to me this day. I guess future drama's directors have done a very good job to entertain the audience." 
"Or it could also implied that you've become an ahjumma. That's why you're falling in love with this type of drama."
"Ahjumma?"
"24 years old ahjumma." He grinned. 
"No, I'm not. Don't you feel the same?"
"I would never ever like makjang drama." He let out a chuckle. 

"What kind of drama do you like then? Must be those overrated cliche type of drama where two guys were falling for one girl, huh?" She smirked. 

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. 

"What made you think of that?"
"Because you're acting just like the second male lead right now. You're so nice, considerate and unattractive."
"Hey! I used to be that chic, cold hearted, indifferent type of guy too."
"What made you changed yourself then?" 

Jungkook swallowed hard before answering, 

"I... fall for you." 

Eunha immediately felt her cheek flushed with the statement. And, the way Jungkook innocently looking at her definitely make them even redder. She held her breath as the words bouncing in her head, sounding louder with each rephrase. She shook her head as she thought, 'get a hold of yourself, Eunha.'

She then unconsciously chugged the beer in front of her. 

"No, Eunha! That's-" 

But, even before Jungkook could finished his words, Eunha already gave several high-pitched hiccup. By then, he knew that his wife had totally drunk. 

"Gosh... I knew this would happen." He said as he pinched her cheeks. She mumbled out something that he couldn't catch on at first but then as she leaned in, her lips pressed deeply into him, 

"I can't help but to root for second lead too sometimes." 


Ps: I know I'm terrible in romance. Lol