Trying

House of card: Her

 

Umji's deep sleep was disturb by some noises. As she open her eyes, she saw Yoongi and Eunha was having conversation together. 

"Oppa?" She voice out. 

Yoongi quickly turns around to her and grins. 

"You've wake up?" She just nod and replied his smile. 
"I'm sorry I fall asleep. I guess I'm just too tired." 
"It's okay. Yoongi oppa told me that you got a hectic schedule to follow and you'll usually only sleep 2-3 hours per day." Eunha smiles at her. Umji's expression changed as she heard Eunha effortlessly calling Yoongi as oppa. 

"Did she remember you already, oppa?" Umji asked as Eunha excused herself to toilet. 

"Nope." Yoongi shook his head and sighs. 
"But, I can see she's having fun when I told her about you guys." His expression brighten as he remembers how excited Eunha was when he keep talking about the past. 

"About us?" Umji raised her eyebrows. 

"Yes. You. And the girls. And a bit about Jungkook as well. I can feel that she's trying her best to remember everything." Yoongi smiled at the latter. 
"I'm glad to hear that then." She exhaled with relief. 

"So... How's Japan?" Yoongi tried to change the topic. 
"Oh. Well, I guess it's just the same as Korea. The only flaws is just when I need to keep speaking in a foreign language." Umji sweetly smiled. 

"But, you were good in both Japanese and English, so I guess the struggle is less for you, huh? Namjoon always contact me to inform how he hated living in Japan because he wasn't so fluent in them." 
"Oppa was just giving excuses not to live with us. That's all. Don't you know he has been traveling around the world, chasing after girls like there's no tomorrow? We totally had it enough with his childish attitude." Umji sighs. Yoongi let out a chuckle as he stares into the girl. 

"If being childish is travelling around  the world for some musical inspiration then I don't think he's at fault Umji. What do you expect from a well known producer like him? I'm sure he'll come back with another hit soon." 

Umji gave a smiles and shrugged her shoulders. She was quite devastated when her brother decided to move away from them in order to find some musical inspiration. But, Yoongi was right after all. It was his dream to be involve professionally in music and he is just basically living out his dream now.

"So... I guess you're doing great then." He smiled. A bitter one. 
"Maybe. And maybe not." She looks away. And then she quickly look at him again, this time, faking a smile. 

"I'm sorry I didn't contact you at all, oppa. I guess I was just so busy. That's all." He nods as a sign he understands her reason. She sigh in relief as Yoongi's smile grew wider. She then shift her gaze towards the window again. 

She took a deep breath with a constant thought, 'stop running and let's just face the truth shall we, Kim Yewon?' 

***

Jungkook just finished handling his report to his superior. It was just a few minutes before 8 pm as Jungkook starts to pack his bag. One of his colleagues then look at him sternly. 

"You don't want to give bad impression to manager Kang, right?" He whispered. 
"What do you mean by that? I've finished my work and it already past our working hours, sunbaenim." He lift his eyebrow. 
"Oh no you don't. Don't even dream to leave early tonight Jungkook-shi. Don't you remember we had plan for our team's dinner? Besides, as a new comer, you should show yourself more presentable to us at all time. Don't you think so?" Another colleagues whispered to him.
"But, we just had one last night, Deputy Shin." He tried to protest. 

However, the others just shut him off with numerous of threats such as losing his opportunity to shine more in the office and having to be hated by his superiors. He hung his head low as he sighs. 'I miss you Eunha.' 

***

Eunha can feel a soft hand was caressing her hair. She woke up to see Jungkook was patting her head gently as he hums an unknown song into her left ear. His eyes was deeply shut and his face showed how exhausted he was at the moment. Eunha grabs her hand phone to look at the time and how shocked she was when it showed it was already nearly 3 am. 

"You smell reeks of alcohol. Have you been drinking?" Jungkook just gave a single nod as his eyelids feel  too heavy at the moment. 

"Why did you even bother coming then?" She feel bad looking at her husband. But, somehow she wanted to scold him for letting her alone all day long and then pop out on the middle of the night being drunk. 

"You used to say that you had to listen to my voice before you go to sleep every night. So, that's why I come here to sing you your favourite song." He said in his sleepy voice.
"What?" Eunha raised her voice. She can't believe how ridiculous Jungkook sounds just now. 

Jungkook then opened his eyes slowly and yawns. 

"I'm sorry. I had a company dinner just now. I've tried my best to refuse their invitation but they keep insisting that I should be there." 

Eunha felt her ears are burning with such excuse. The only guy that she hopes to help her is constantly out of sight during the day and only come by night. How are she supposed to remember if he keeps giving lame excuse like this. She storms out to the toilet without even looking at the guy. He was left dumbfounded with her sudden reaction. 

"Urghhh!" She groans out of frustration. 

"What a stupid guy. Why did I even chose to marry him on the first place?" 

***

Umji woke up early today. She had promised to Eunha that she'll be helping her to pack up her bags. 

"Finally, its time for me to be discharged!" Eunha squeals happily. Umji grins at her and nods. 

"Where is the first place that you want to visit, unnie?" Eunha opened her note books with a wide smile. 

She has being writing a list that she wanted to do once she was out from hospital. Now, she can't wait to cross off the whole list. 

"First, let's go to my apartment. I wanted to see my own house." She grins. 

***

Yoongi just arrived at Jungkook's apartment. Umji has been bombarding him with text messages that he should join them as he had nothing to do today. He let out a chuckle as he was being reminded by Umji's cute death threats. 

"Floor 13." He told the elevator guy. He curved a smile as the guy bow down to him. 

'It has been a while since I came here.' He thought to himself. 

***

"So... this is your house, unnie." Umji smiles. 

Eunha observed the place carefully to trigger some deep seated memories but nothing comes into her. 

"You know what Umji. I'm starting to feel as if everything is a little bit useless right now. Well maybe not a bit. I really felt that maybe I shouldn't dwell that much on my past." She sighs. Umji pulls her into a hug. 

"No, unnie. You were much happier in the past than you are now. I know this is hard on you. But, this is just the first step of you getting better. I promised you that you'll feel better once you know the truth." Umji pat her back. 

Eunha sighs as she stares at a picture that was hung on the wall of their living room. It was their wedding photo and Eunha can see that she's smiling brightly in the picture. 'Umji is right. I look better in the picture than I am now.' 

***

Umji served Yoongi his favourite iced coffee. 

"Have you been here before?" Yoongi was startled as Umji was able to locate some ingredients in the kitchen. 

"Nope. But, Eunha unnie is my best friend so I could've guess where will she put her stuff." She giggles. 
"Ah... I see. You guys are such a soulmate at heart." Yoongi showed his gummy smile. 

Eunha come out from her room, already changed into a new attire. 

"Let's go." She smiled. 

***

"We will go visit our high school oppa. Eunha unnie said maybe by going there, it might trigger something." 

Jungkook cannot took his eyes off the text messages that he receive a few minutes ago. 

'I wish I was there with you.' 

***

Mr Kang looks at the letter that was put onto his table. He constantly exchanging his gaze between the letter and the guy who was standing awkwardly in front of him. 

"You do know that it has only been a few months since you enter this company, right?" 

Jungkook nods weakly. He could only stare at the floor quietly. 

"So... Tell me Jungkook-shi. What is the reason for you asking for a leave?"
"I've finished my reports and I've send all the emails that you told me to. To conclude, I have make sure that I've done all the work needed before I ask for my leave, sir." He still didn't dare to look at his superior in the eyes. 
"That doesn't justify your action." Mr Kang crossed his arm.

"I know I shouldn't said this but during my four months working here, I've never even once asked for a sick leave or even come late to the office. I kept my promise when I first had my interview here by saying that I will be punctual even if I had an accident the day before." He said as he slowly faced Mr Kang. 

"I'm sorry if I'm being such a nuisance for asking two days off but my wife needs me, sir. I wasn't even on her side when she was send to the hospital as she got into a horrifying car crash just to safe me from one. And I still come early to the office on the day she was at the emergency room, struggling with her life. I know I'm nobody to ask you this. But please sir. I beg you. Please gave me a bit of your empathy." He plead. 

Mr Kang nods as he heard Jungkook voice starts to crack. He knows well how great Jungkook has been since the day he got accepted into the company. In fact, he is one of the superior who suggested his name as a full time worker when he saw his enthusiasm during his internship days. He let out a deep sigh.

"Okay. I'll grand you with one week leaves. But, you have to remember one thing for sure Jeon Jungkook-shi. You have to make sure that you'll come back to the office with a new spirit and a better mindset. I don't want to see that pathetic aura that has been surrounding you for this past months. Roger?" 

"Yes sir." Jungkook smiles delightfully. 

'We'll spend some quality time together soon, Eunha.' 

***

"And... This is our class unnie!" Umji said in excitement. 
"This is your seat and this is mine. Usually we'll talk all day long when the teachers are not around." She continued. 
"Gosh... I miss all of this." She then turn her gaze to Eunha. 
"Unnie?" She called her as she saw Eunha was spacing out. Eunha just stare at her with a sigh. 

"Hmm... What else?" She said, uninterested. 

*** 

Umji went to buy some drinks for them three. She told Yoongi to keep his eyes on Eunha in case something were to happen. 

"We had to beware of seizures or severe headache. That was an order from her doctor." Umji leave him with Eunha as she said those words. 

Eunha looks at Yoongi who was playing with his shoelace. 

"Hey, Yoongi oppa." She called. Yoongi turns to her with a smile. 
"Yeah?" 
"Erm... You always talk about the girls and Jungkook."
"Am I?"
"Yes. Yes, you do."
"I guess I am then." He said indifferently.

"What about you then oppa?" She looks curiously at the latter. 
"Why haven't you talk about yourself?" Yoongi let out a chuckle. He then smirks at the girl. 

"I guess there's nothing to talk about me. That's why." Eunha furrows her eyebrows and stare closely at the guy. 

"It couldn't be so." She said as she  looks away. 
"And what did you mean by that?" He tried to face her. 
"Because my heart said so." Eunha turns to Yoongi and their eyes met. They were both staring deeply into each other eyes until Umji come with drinks for three of them. The atmosphere become super awkward then. Yoongi just took the drink from Umji without even looking at Eunha who is still keep staring at him.

***

Jungkook went home happily. He got permission from his superior to come home early so he stops by the convenience store to buy some of Eunha's favourite dish. 

"Hmmm... Let's see. What should we have for today's dinner, huh?"

***

Eunha steps in carefully into the house as she saw Jungkook's shoes already on the shoe rack. 'I guess he learnt his lesson not to leave me alone anymore.'

She widened her eyes as she saw abundance of food and snacks on the kitchen table. She tried to search for Jungkook, but he was not in any room of the house. She then spotted a figure, lying on the cold kitchen floor. 

"Idiot." She murmured. She instantly feel deep remorse looking at Jungkook who curled himself on the floor. 

"Are you okay?" She gently shook his body. Jungkook quickly sit and rubs his eyes. 

"You're home?" He ask calmly. 
"Just a few minutes ago." She answer in a monotonous tone. 
"How's school visit? Anything comes into your mind?" He tried curving a smile. He has been waiting for her for a total 3 hours before he unknowingly fall asleep by the kitchen. 

Eunha just shook her head and looks away. Somehow her heart ache to see Jungkook is being so nice towards her when she is constantly shouting and screaming at him.   

"Have you had your dinner?" Eunha just stares at the food served on the table. 'All are my favourites.' She thought to herself. She wanted to just nod and walk away to her room but she can't help to feel bad as he saw his efforts. 

"I still can finished this." She then pull a chair and sit at the table. 

"Want to join me?" She smiled.

Ps: I'm sorry if Eunha sounds rude in this chapter but you guys should understand that she had a mind of 15 years old girl and it was quite hard for her to handle everything alone. Let's just cross our finger for a better Eunha in the next chapter okay? 😍