Hand

House of card: Her

"Now, tell me something about you."
"Tell you about what?"
"Oh I don't know. About yourself."
"Well well. This is the first. You never took an interest in me before." He chuckled. 

Eunha's eyes were all over the place, trying to find a reasonable excuse for Jungkook. 

"I do. I'm just not sure how should I ask you about it. I mean how come your parents never come to visit us even once after I wake up from my coma? Do they even care about me? I mean I'm their daughter in law after all. Or is it they live in countryside like my parents? That's why it was harder for them to come visit me? Is it?" 
"Whoa whoa. Slow down." He swallowed, eyes still on hers, 

"I should be sleeping now but since tomorrow is beginning of the weekend, I'll answer your question one by one, alright?" He said as he curved a very wide smile for her. 

"I'm all ears."
"First, they care about you. Well, I think they do. You're their only daughter in law anyway."
"You're an only child?"
"It took you this long to ask, huh?"
"I was... preparing myself for some new informations."

Jungkook let out another chuckle as he mockingly nods at his wife. 

"Okay. Excuse accepted. May I continue then?" 

Eunha only stared at him, squinting her eyes at the latter. His smile becomes wider as he saw her adorable expression. 

"Hmm... well, my mom is gone. She is not here anymore."
"What? Where did she go?"
"Hmmmm... to heaven? Maybe? I hope she is. Haha." He let out a very short, mirthless laugh.

".... She's passed away?"

Jungkook gave a soothing smile as he saw her expression turn into sorrow.

Flashback

It was in winter. It is still fresh on his mind how cold the day was. The weather, the air and also his broken heart. He curled himself at a corner of the room ignoring people who keep on staring at him, mumbling something that he refused to listen. He looks down on his feet, most of the time. Occasionally, he went to his father as he called him to bow down to each of them who visit. 

Everyone looks the same. Everyone had the same expression. They've been staring at him and his father with dejecting look written on their faces. And, Jungkook hates it. 

Jungkook hates it that they all had a similar black outfit. Just like him and his father. The only difference was theirs had a black ribbon on their left arm and those people don't. 

Jungkook hates it when they pat his shoulders telling him and his father they'll be fine. Well they don't. And, Jungkook hates it. 

"He was just 18." A voice said. 

Jungkook tried to shut his ears to those voices. He hates it when they keep saying that it wasn't fair for him when he's just 18. When the day was supposed to be his birthday. He hates it when they look at him sympathetically and walks away like he is a clown in a show. He hates them. 

But, Jungkook hates it even more when he can't seem to ignore those people, he can't seem to keep his ears from hearing those comments, and he can't seem to divert his attention from his own mother who is smiling sweetly at him in a frame situated at the centre of the altar.

He just hates it. 

And at that very moment, as he keeps his eyes on the hard floor, a hand come and grab him, taking him away from the crowd. Away from the attention. 

He quickly rose up his head towards the person. As he squinted his eye, tried to recognise the figure, he saw a beautiful sparkling bright eyes were smiling at him. He knows eyes can't smile. He learnt it in nursery that lips was the one who curved a smile, not eyes. But, hers are different. Hers are smiling at him and were saying something that immediately warm his numb inside.

"From now on, I'll be the one who is responsible for your life." 

And, the words echoes in him as the smell of spring appears on his eyes. 

End of Flashback

"Wait. Are you sure you're not hallucinating? How did eyes could smile and how come there was spring smell if it's winter? And, please do explain how come you're able to see smell, Jungkook?" Eunha lifted her eyebrows in confusion. 

"I don't. But, it was to describe how magical the moment was at the time. You won't understand it anyway. You haven't lose someone dearly to you." 

Her face grew solemn with a twinge of pain from the statement. Eunha was lost in thought, not knowing how to say. She then tried to liven up the atmosphere,

"Wow. So, now that you know your wife has a crush on your friend, you're turning into a poetical person, huh?" She said bluntly. 

"Not funny, Eunha. It's certainly not." 

She cleared her throats, conscience-stricken over her snarky remark as she saw his straight-faced. 

"Who is that girl anyway?" 
"Don't you get it? It's you. You brighten up my once despair life, Eunha. When I lost my mother, I thought that I had lost all the hopes in this world. But, you come with your smile and changed it. You gave me a strength that I never thought I had in me. You've fully changed me. Into a better person." 

"My dear. Someday, when a guy appears to be truly in loves with you, he'll changed himself into a better person. But, instead of doing that to impress you, he'll do it because he's been influenced by you." 

She shook her head as her mother's advice keep resounding inside her. 

"Continue." She demanded. 
"Oh okay. After my mother passed away, my father was not as lucky as me. He fall into deep pit of depression and grief. He ignores everything for months, he locked himself inside his room and comes out occasionally for some food. Until one particular day, he decided to leave everything behind, he went around the worlds in the name of searching his inner peace."

"What about you?" 
"He left me as well. He left me alone with no one to took responsibility for me. Mom died approximately 3 months before my college entrance's exam and he left me on the day of the exam itself." He looked away hiding the disappointment in his eyes. 

"Fortunately, I got you." His expression start to brighten again with the word 'YOU'.

"And, of course our cliques as well. Thus, my life was then filled with you guys on my side. Umji's and Yoongi hyung's parents also act as my adopted parents from time to time. Not that they did adopted me for real, but they certainly made me feel at home." He beamed brightly towards Eunha. 

"Where's he now? Your father." 
"I don't know. Somewhere in the world I guess. He'll send a postcard every two or three month, notifying his whereabouts. I've never care about it anyway. You'll be the one who always pumped up every time a mailman come to our house. You'll took the postcards and read them out loud." He giggles. 

Her heart sank as she heard the story. Who would've thought behind those smile lies a lonely heart? He has been hiding himself under a mask that he created to fool the world. And, she was among the fool. 

Eunha's eyes were fixed on the blanket, as she slowly utter, 

"What happened to you after that, Jungkook?" 

Jungkook took a glance at his wife and curved a smile. 

"You're not sleepy yet?"
"I... wanted to know a little bit more." He took a deep breath and let out a loud sigh as he continued, 

"Okay. Soon after, final exam's and college entrance exam's result comes out. And, I passed with flying colours, got accepted into a university that I wanted, and chose photography as my major. Now go to sleep." He tried to turn his body from her but Eunha once again hold his shoulders. 

"Your major is photography? But why are you working in a trading company then?"

Jungkook made a pause, hesitating whether he should disclosed the information. 

"Errr... this is something that even 24 years old Eunha didn't know about." 
"You're such a secretive person, Jungkook." 

Flashback 

Jungkook stood from his chair as he saw a figure was approaching from afar, his lips curving a broad smile. He then bowed down almost 90 degree as the figure pat his shoulder. 

"So, Jungkook. How's it going?" Mrs Jung smile delightfully as he admired the young guy's politeness. He took a sit, signalling with his hand the latter should do the same. He then called for waiter to take their orders. 

Jungkook quickly pull a sit as commanded by Mr Jung. He carefully placed his palm on his lap and sat up straight. He tried his best not to show the feeling of restlessness that he had at the moment.

"I'm sorry for taking your time, sir. But, I'm here to discuss something important."
"What is it, Jungkook?"

His eyes were fixed on the table, contemplating whether he should continue.

"It's about my relationship with Eunha."

Jungkook took a glance at Mr Jung, and to his surprise, he saw a slight smirk on his face.

"Yes, I know that. Eunha has told me about you." 

Jungkook nods a little as he continues,

"We have been together for a while. So I was thinking, maybe... if it possible, I wanted to propose to Eunha. I wanted her to be the only one in my life, sir."
"Well, do you have a job now? A proper one?"

Jungkook gasped to the question. He felt as if the world stop spinning for a while. A heavy feeling suddenly appear in his stomach, as he tried to think of a best way to answer his soon to be father in law.

"Well, I work as a freelancer-"
"Freelancer? That's interesting. But, how much do you make per month?"

On the second question, Jungkook already aware of Mr Jung's intention at the moment. Of course he would ask questions concerning her daughter's fate in the future. She is his lovable daughter after all.  He gulped down hard as he tried to replied, 

"Well, the pay will be according to the job that I'll get for that month so-" 

But, before he could finished his words, Mr Jung leaned in, staring at his doe-eyed. 

"How are you going to take care of Eunha? You don't expect her to starve for the rest of her life, right?"

Jungkook winced unpleasantly, taken aback by the remarks. 

"Tell you what. I have an acquaintance in this one trading company and he is one nice fellow. How about you join the company as an intern? Just tried it out. You won't be sorry at all." 

Though Jungkook tried to open his mouth to response, his lips was sealed shut, knowing nothing that he say next would be right. 

"Jungkook. I don't want to burst the bubble, but everyone at one point belief that they could live out their dreams. But, not all of us will. At the end of the day, what we need to understand is that we could never escape from the word responsibilities."

That's when Jungkook knows that reality has struck him. Mr Jung was right. If he really loves Eunha, then he should do something to prove his love for her.

"You have to choose Jungkook. Whether you like it or not. It's Eunha, or your job as photographer. I'll give you time to think it over." 

End of Flashback.

"Tell mehhh." She urges him. She tried to blink couple of time, tugging on his left side pyjama' sleeve, showing her cute side to make him surrendered but being a guy who always true to his words, Jungkook shook his head and grins.

"I will. Someday." He smile broadly. 

Eunha then rolled her eyes knowing whatever she does won't affect him. In that instant, their argument which they had a few days ago comes to her mind. She bites her lower lips, contemplating whether to talk about it. Her lips trembled with the message she had second thought about relaying but she gave in to her will. 

"Hey. About Yoongi oppa..." 
"We'll talk about it later." He cut her short. Eunha widened her eyes, surprised by the sudden comment. 

"Huh? What?"
"When you've recover your memories back and everything returned to normal, I promised that we'll talk this over." 

Eunha frowns at the remark. She blinks innocently, processing her thoughts.

"You mean... you are not going to be mad anymore at me? I mean I don't deserve your kind-heartedness. You should shout at me, be angry at me-"
"Hey." He cut her off with his sweet-sounding voice.

"I'm not saying that I will support your feelings for him. Yes, you can continue to like him for now. But, I'll do my best to steal you from him. Because, I know that even if you can't remember, it was me who is your first love. You fall for me first. He was just an addition to those fragmented memories of yours."

His gaze was fixed on her as he tried to curve a smile. 

"What does that even mean?"
"Now... go to sleep, Eunha." He swiftly close her eyes with his one hand and pat her head slowly with his others. 

And, being a good wife, she obeyed his words and soon fall into the dream land. She wasn't sure of it before, but she definitely slept better than she had in days. 

***

The next morning, Jungkook woke up to a hand that keep caressing his face. He furrowed his eyebrows when he realised it belongs to Eunha. He peeked on the girl and a smile curved on his face when he saw she is still in deep sleep.

"Erm." She said as he tried to remove the hand away. 

He then got up from the bed in a very slow motion in case he'll disturbed her sleep. He took a last glance with a wide smile towards the girl before walking to the kitchen. 'I wonder how does a person look this beautiful even in her messy hair and mouth wide open like that. Guess love is blind after all.' He shrugged his shoulder. 

***

"So... you're going to met Dr Kim today?" Jungkook put his spoon away as he stares at his wife. 

Eunha only nods while shoving a few more bulgogi into . 

"But, I thought you don't have an appointment today, right?"
"No. But, I can't keep my mind off the nightmare so it's better if I talk to him about this." 
"Speaking of it, what do you see in the nightmare?" 

Eunha avoided his stares and shovel down her last clump of rice.

"I'm done!" She exclaimed. She then sprang out from her chair and put the dirty dishes in the sink. 

"You have some information that you keep for your own advantage, don't you? I shall have mine too." She then turn to the bewildered Jungkook. 

"And just like you, I'll told you once the time come." She slyly smile at him. 

***

Eunha tugs her skirt, eyes all over the place as Dr Kim welcomes her inside. She then let out a loud sigh as she sit on the chair. 

"Is there any reason for our meeting today, Mrs Jung?"
"I... had a nightmare last night."

Dr Kim leaned forward, curving an emphatic smile for his patient. 

"I know it must be unpleasant experience for you but that's great Mrs Jung. That's one achievement you had there." 
"It is?"
"Now tell me what do you see in your dream last night."

Eunha took a few breath before she looked at Dr Kim in the eyes. 

"Well... it started out similar to other dreams. As usual, I will see myself caressing a necklace, but somehow the scene had this eerie aura around it and then suddenly a hand appears and tugs the necklace away." 

Titling his head, he ask in amusement,

"A hand? Now that's one new information we had there. I'm terribly sorry to ask this question but is it possible that the hand belongs to your husband?" 
"I... was unsure of it. But..."

She made a pause, which made the situation far more interesting for Doctor Kim.

"Yes, Mrs Jung?"
"Judging from the delicacy and how smooth the skin looked like, I am pretty sure it was a woman's hand."


Ps: Please forgive me but I think I'm addicted to their adorable late-night convo hahaha. Heart fluttering~~ ❤️