Her Birthday Pt. 1

Lovers Turned To Love Rivals

‘’Happy Birthday chipmunk!’’

Chaeyoung opened her eyes slowly and blinked seeing her girlfriend all tidy up as well as giving her lots of small kisses on her face.

She giggled faintly ‘’Good morning to you too’’ She said ‘’Now, can I ask what you are doing here in…’’ She glanced at the clock

‘’6am in the morning?’’

Lisa grinned at her and kissed her softly at the lips ‘’I wanted to surprise you, and to be the first one who’ll greet you in your special day’’ She hugged Chaeyoung tenderly

‘’I love you chipmunk…’’

Chaeyoung smiled at her happily, reviling in the comfort of the hug. She really needed this after her confrontation with Jisoo the other day…

They haven’t been talking lately even in school. Lisa sometimes would look between them with confusion in her face before shaking her head and tried to lighten up the mood. The four of them still hang out but…

Chaeyoung bit her lip in thought

‘’Jennie’s been…unresponsive lately’’

It’s true, Jennie seems like a robot these days. Only talking when someone’s talking to her and only letting out small smiles when they ask her if something’s wrong but what stood out to Chaeyoung the most is that

Jennie and Jisoo are not looking at each other...literally. She talked to Lisa about this but the younger girl said that if ever things are going too long, they’ll step in. For now they will let them be to fix their own problems.

Not only that, Jennie has been sending her these mixed signals…there were moments where she will catch Jennie’s eyes and she will send her a smile but Jennie responded by a…sad one. Though sometimes it’s a reassuring one but lately, Jennie’s been sending Chaeyoung these solemn smiles that bothers her.

It really bothers her even today at her birthday

‘’Let’s go jogging?’’

Chaeyoung snapped her attention to her girlfriend. For now, she’ll spend her birthday with Lisa; The girl who has been her rock these days because of the way she’s always there to cheer her up but at the same time, her rain in the happy mornings.

She shook her head, it’s her birthday. She should not let these thoughts consume her for today. ‘’Besides,’’ Chaeyoung glanced at the soft looking dancer beside her bed ‘’I don’t want to ruin whatever she planned for my birthday’’

Chaeyoung sat up and kissed Lisa at the cheek earning a happy smile from the maknae

‘’Let’s go jogging then’’


Jisoo felt her phone ding as she laid at her bed…on her best friend’s birthday. She reached out to her phone and opened it, seeing Lisa’s message at the group chat where Chaeyoung’s not in it. Lisa created it because she apparently planned something for the four of them together

''She must have noticed me and Jennie...'' 

She felt her heart go soft seeing Lisa's text, and a bit of guilt as well.

Lisa: Are you guys sure you don’t want to go the reservation I saved for the four of us? It’s Chaeyoung’s birthday guys…

Jisoo: I’ll make up to her don’t worry. I’m just really busy these days. Enjoy your date with her Limario!

Jennie: Sorry Lis, I really appreciate you for thinking about us but enjoy your day with her. You’re her girlfriend after all.

Lisa: But you guys are important to us too. Don’t you guys want to spend it with her?

Jennie: I’m busy. Sorry guys.

Jisoo: We’ll make a late surprise party to her when I’m not busy don’t worry Limario. I’m sure pasta would cry when she gets the surprise she least expected.

Lisa: If you guys say so…

Jisoo gripped her phone in guilt seeing Jennie’s reply

‘’So she isn’t going to make any plans today huh’’ Jisoo sighed and hugged Dalgom tightly

‘’Dalgom how can we fix this?’’ Jisoo let a tear escape her eyes as Dalgom nuzzled his head to her, comforting the older girl.

‘’I don’t know what’s right anymore…’’


Jennie sighed and turned off her phone, not even bothering to text Chaeyoung a happy birthday. Day by day, she’s slowly losing will to fight. She knows she promised to wait but…

She glanced at the window and felt her heart clench seeing two people she didn’t want to see right now. She watched as Chaeyoung and Lisa jogged around the neighborhood with Lisa slapping her and Chaeyoung playfully swatting her hands away while laughing…

As they get farther away from Jennie’s house, maybe from her heart too.

Jennie’s lip quivered feeling tears pricking her eyes. She wanted someone to comfort her, most specifically, she wanted Chaeyoung to come right now at her room and whisper words of promises and soothing songs in her ears as she reveled in the warmth of her love.

Love...

She remembered her moment with Chaeyoung at her secret hideout…their stares that held deep meanings and keeping their promises with loving gaze. It made her feel strong, it made her feel that everything will go in the right pace.

She remembered Chaeyoung staring out at the Ferris Wheel with the sunset highlighting her features and Jennie swore she felt her heart stop as she gazed lovingly at the younger girl that day so she took a picture of it to commomerate that special moment.

And that was the last time Chaeyoung and her hanged out. Ever since her confrontation with Jisoo after that day…everything seems to go downhill.

‘’Chaeyoung…’’ Jennie whispered as she stared longingly at her lock screen

‘’I miss you so much…’’


After jogging around the neighborhood, they stopped by a familiar café that has Chaeyoung smiling as she remembered a certain someone at this very café.

‘’I want to warn you though’’ Lisa chuckled ‘’The dogs here aren’t very loving to me’’

‘’You mean they don’t like you?’’ Chaeyoung quirk up in amusement

‘’It’s not my fault I’m a cat person’’ Lisa chuckled ‘’One of these days, I’m going to adopt a cat of my own. Maybe after graduation’’

Chaeyoung laughed ‘’Well, school is killing us lately just because we’re going to graduate soon’’ She said ‘’Thank God that dance club is finished so there won’t be any more activities but I’m so disappointed that the singing club cancelled all their activities’’ She pouted

Lisa nodded in agreement ‘’Yeah…it’s too bad our music teacher got into an accident. Good thing that she’s recovering right now’’

They entered the café and instantly dogs bombard them, while some puppies snarling at Lisa ‘’Wow, you weren’t lying when you said the dogs here aren’t very loving to you’’ Chaeyoung giggled as a dog her face happily

‘’Why did you suggest to go here anyway?’’

‘’I figured I treat you breakfast since I woke you up so early’’ Lisa said sheepishly ‘’I can’t cook in my life and I want to curse my past self for doing something that makes my cooking right now so horrible’’

Chaeyoung laughed at that ‘’You can cook Lis, you helped us cook in New Year remember?’’

‘’Because you and your mom helped me’’

‘’You still can’’ Chaeyoung grabbed her hand and caress it ‘’Thank you though, I really appreciate your efforts’’

Lisa felt her heart flutter and peck Chaeyoung at her cheeks

‘’Anything for you chipmunk’’ Lisa smiled ‘’I keep my promise you know?’’ She intertwined her hands to Chaeyoung’s and gripping it firmly ''I'm here today in front of you to make sure you have the happiest birthday in your life.''

Chaeyoung blinked rapidly because it’s as if she suddenly saw Jennie in place of Lisa. She gulped and lets out a shaky smile

‘’Yeah…’’

They spent their whole morning eating and sharing more common things between them with Chaeyoung giggling at her because some puppies kept on barking at her making Lisa yelp in surprise and slight fear.

Afterwards, they went to their own houses to shower up and go to their next destination.

‘’Don’t forget to wear something fancy but casual okay?’’ Lisa grinned cheekily

‘’Where are we going anyway?’’ Chaeyoung asked

‘’The mall’’


‘’What’s wrong honey?’’

Jennie creaked her eyes open seeing her mom towering over her as she was trying to sleep her day away while hugging her dumpling plushie that a certain someone gave to her.

Key word trying

‘’I’m just sleeping mom…don’t bother me’’ Jennie turned away from her mother and snuggling to her blankets.

Mrs. Kim rolled her eyes and snatch the blankets away earning a ‘hey!’ from her daughter. ‘’I know you my daughter. This is you getting depressed again, and I’ll be damned to let you be this way again when I saw you finally being happy with a certain birthday girl.’’

‘’Why aren’t you out there celebrating Chaeyoung’s birthday?’’

Her mom’s serious tone got her attention as she sighed in defeat before turning to face her mother.

‘’Have you been crying?’’

Jennie thought her tear ducts are tired now but it seems like its storage is not that empty yet since she could feel her tears again

‘’Yeah, I mean, not always…’’ Jennie muttered

‘’Tell me what’s wrong honey’’ Mrs. Kim sat beside her daughter and hugged her lightly ‘’Your mom’s always here. Perhaps I could help you in your situation’’

Jennie stiffened and finally let her feelings go as she suddenly sobbed and let the tears flow

‘’I-I…’’

Jennie couldn’t take it anymore and told her mom what happened when she and Jisoo fought. Every shout and harsh words back to back between them but what stuck to Jennie the most is that

‘’I couldn’t help but do agree to Jisoo that’’ Jennie bit her lip and shakily said

‘’C-Chaeyoung haven’t said those three words to me…’’

‘’You mean I love you?’’ Her mom said softly and Jennie nodded sadly

‘’I’m really losing my will to keep on fighting because this is too much’’ Jennie said ‘’I feel like everyone I’m close with is turning their backs on me and it’s hard fighting by myself…’’

‘’Oh honey,’’ Mrs. Kim hugged ‘’You are such a strong girl and I’m proud that you’re still hanging on to your love to Chaeyoung even right now’’

‘’I don’t know mom…’’ Jennie’s muffled cries on her mom’s shoulders as she spoke ‘’ I’m slowly starting to believe that Jisoo has a point…that I shouldn’t have done that Christmas vacation especially since they’re together.’’

‘’I promised myself that I won’t be a snake but’’ Jennie chuckled bitterly ‘’Looks like I did become one…’’

Mrs. Kim grabbed Jennie by the shoulders and looked at her eyes with seriousness that Jennie only see when she did or said something wrong.

Jennie shivered a bit ‘’ I almost forgot how scary mom is’’

‘’Don’t you dare say that you’re a snake Jennie Kim’’ Jennie flinched at the use of her full name which meant her mom really is serious right now, like a disaster hit serious.

‘’We planned that vacation to give yourself a chance, not to be a snake, but to let your feelings out of their shelves’’

Mrs. Kim smiled sadly ‘’There were only two endings in that vacation Jennie…’’

Jennie looked confused, wasn’t the Christmas vacation for her to court Chaeyoung the whole week? Is there a hidden motive that her mom hid from her?

‘’What do you mean mom?’’

‘’One is that Chaeyoung reciprocated your advances and is happy about it.’’ Mrs. Kim smiled ‘’That vacation is also planned so that Chaeyoung could notice herself if she has feelings from you besides having a girlfriend. It’s made for you two so that you could let out your feelings without anyone holding you back.’’

‘’The other one is that…’’ Mrs. Kim took a deep breath ‘’If Chaeyoung didn’t respond to your advances, you would have to let her go after that vacation.’’

‘’W-what?’’

 ‘’Think about it dear,’’ Mrs. Kim said ‘’If despite your best efforts to show your love to her that Chaeyoung puts up a distance to you, you would have to let her go. It just means the she doesn’t love you that way. That’s the sign that you should probably move on from her’’

‘’But that didn’t happen right?’’ Mrs. Kim smiled at her and put a hand to Jennie’s shoulder in order to reassure her ‘’Chaeyoung loves you honey, she might not have said it herself but, actions speaks louder than words right?’’

‘’But…’’ Jennie muttered ‘’Up to her birthday today, she still hasn’t told Lisa what happened between us, and it’s been a month and a half since Christmas...’’ She sighed

‘’That doesn’t spoke volumes of her actions…especially since I just saw the two of them celebrating Chaeyoung’s birthday’’

‘’Oh honey I know it’s hard to wait while waiting for your loved one to come back to you’’ Mrs. Kim hugged her daughter tightly ‘’But you have to keep on fighting if you really love Chaeyoung dear…’’

‘’Chaeyoung is the kind of girl who puts others feelings before hers’’ Mrs. Kim explained to her ‘’I have known that girl despite the small amount of time that we talked and spent time together. She’s a sensitive girl, she’s probably scared to hurt two of the most important people in her life; and I meant Lisa and you.’’

Jennie looked deep in thought as she ponded her mother’s explanation. ‘’She has a point…’’

Chaeyoung really does have the kind of personality, a sensitive kind with her heart on her sleeves. She can be a person that can be easily read because she always wears her emotions like it’s her clothes. When she’s sad, you could see that cloud of rain in her eyes. When she’s happy, it’s like she could beat the sun from how she brightly beams at you. When she’s angry, it’s like you could feel shivers in your spine as those chipmunk cheeks blow up (well, actually cute but whatever) and those eyes that turns to razors. When she’s scared, she could probably be considered as a leaf that the wind decided to play with.

And Jennie witnessed all those emotions of Chaeyoung, she kind of understand what her mom is trying to say. This is her hubby that they’re talking about. She closed her eyes and remembered Chaeyoung’s smiles, laughs, tears, kisses, and most of all

Jennie smiled softly ‘’Her love’’

The passion and warmth that Chaeyoung directed to her ever since she met her and it increased ten folds in their vacation.

She could never forget the way Chaeyoung looked at her with the same eyes she’s been looking at her hubby.

‘’You’re right mom’’ Jennie finally brightened up making Mrs. Kim released a sigh of relief and tender smile

‘’Glad I could get to your senses’’ Mrs. Kim chuckled ‘’Oh and by the way, this came by today. Which is really timing you know?’’

Jennie looked curiously as her mom hand some kind of scrapbook to her. It looks really clean and it was obvious that it’s handmade.

‘’It came from Alice if you’re wondering where it came from’’

She looked at the front and chuckled.

Chaennie Scrapbook

‘’Alice really is our number one supporter huh’’ Jennie said in amusement

‘’That she is’’ Mrs. Kim grinned

Jennie opened the scrapbook and immediately her eyes shined in happiness and nostalgia.

 

There she saw numerous pictures of her and Chaeyoung taken by Alice, and when Jennie said it’s numerous, it’s a LOT. She skimmed through the pages and concludes that it probably has 14 pages filled with her and Chaeyoung’s moments.

 

From the day they arrived, she gazed upon the happy looking her and the embarrassed look of Chaeyoung after rummaging through their photo albums. She laughed loudly remembering a baby Chaeyoung as well a crying child because she lost a singing contest. She also remembered smiling like a proud wife hearing her hubby's recent achievements, from cheerleading up to local singing contest. 

 

The aquarium where they went underwater with her clutching to Chaeyoung tightly, the penguins that they kissed, and more pictures of them holding hands and giggling. She could remember the water around them as they watched in awe at the sharks and fished surrounding them, the cold temperature of the penguins' home as they held on to each other for warmth.

 

The Sky Tower where they became one with the wind and how Chaeyoung made sure she’s warm by staying really close to her. Their close faces at the balcony, her scared eyes and a laughing Chaeyoung as she watched her parents fall off. And the best part? The sunset as they're dangling at the side of Sky Tower while clutching each other like they're each other's lifeline.

 

The trip to Waiheke Island, them entering their penthouse and the way Chaeyoung and her smiled at each other, holding hands as they enter the helicopter. She could still feel Chaeyoung's loving gaze and looking at her like she stole all the stars in the skies. The almost kiss that they experience and the adrenaline that came with the free champagne of the ride. 

 

The last page made Jennie teared up

 

There she saw two photos, one is Chaeyoung carrying her bridal style because she was sick and was captioned by Alice’s handwriting

‘Wifey and Hubby’ with a heart

 

The last photo was something she didn’t even notice before. It was a picture of Chaeyoung looking at her with so much love that Jennie swore if she saw it, she would probably melt and pull her to a kiss. They were at the balcony at that time, in the early morning of Christmas. Her lips quivered ''She was looking at me...like how I always look at her''

 

She wondered how the hell Alice managed to take a picture of this but nevertheless, it was an amazing picture because it managed to capture Chaeyoung’s raw feelings at her that time as she back hugged Jennie.

‘’Now,’’ Mrs. Kim said ‘’What are you going to do?’’

Jennie glanced at her guitar and picked it up, looking at her mom with a determined grin and wink.

‘’Make sure she’ll receive her wifey’s birthday present to her’’


Mama Kim to the rescue for Chaennie warriors! Another suprise for you all dendendennnnn this is a double update yay! Scroll down now and you'll see Next Chapter! Click it and enjoy reading! Thank you again for all of your support and for being one with the story! Stream Ice Cream everyone! I love you all!