Treading on sensitive ground

Love in the ShyShy Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We have 5 countries that have bought the rights to telecast the drama. Three of them, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan have expressed interest for the two leads to promote the drama,” The Producer paused as he looked around the table. He had invited Seung Ho and Sohyun and their respective CEO. Sohyun’s mom, Mrs Kim was also present. “We will have Taipei on a Saturday evening and next day, in the afternoon in Hong Kong on the second week of next month. Then Tokyo on the following Saturday night,” he continued. Turning to Seung Ho, “I’ve heard you plan to have a fan meet in Tokyo the day before.” Seung Ho nodded.

 

“Sohyun, the Taipei promotion is at the end of your exams. Would you be able to fly earlier on Thursday or would it be only on Friday itself? I wanted to schedule an interview on Friday afternoon, so I prefer if both of you fly in on Thursday itself,” the Producer elaborated. Before Sohyun could response, Mrs Kim spoke up. “I don’t see the need for Seung Ho-ssi and Sohyun to be travelling together from here.” Everyone turned and looked at Mrs Kim. Clearing , she continued “So, we will get back to you separately on our preferred flight timing. I will be joining on the trips, so please arrange additional flight ticket for me. There isn’t a need for additional room because I will share with my daughter.” Sohyun’s face was flushed at the unexpected announcement. Seung Ho kept quiet and he quietly looked at Mrs Kim and CEO Man. There was an awkward silence.

 

“Err, do you mean you don’t want them to travel together even between Taipei and Hong Kong?” the Producer asked. “No, no. of course between the two cities, it only makes sense for them to travel together. But they don’t have to when they go to Taipei or leave Hong Kong. In fact, we may want a later return flight as we might stay for a couple of days in Hong Kong,” Mrs Kim replied. Sohyun look aghast at her mom, who avoided eye contact with everyone. The awkward atmosphere thickened.

 

“Of course, Mrs Kim. I’m sure they can arrange accordingly. Let’s put the interview in Taipei as myself only until Sohyun can confirm her flight schedule. For Hong Kong’s interview, we can do it together before the rehearsal. I plan to leave that Sunday night itself if that is not too much trouble, Producer-nim. The following early morning flight would also be ok if it is not possible to get on a late night flight. I have a schedule on Monday afternoon,” Seung Ho added with a smile as he diffused the tension in the room.

 

CEO Kim looked at Sohyun, CEO Man and finally at Seung Ho, “Seung Ho, you wanted Sohyun to be your guest for your fanmeet in Tokyo since both of you will be there to promote the drama.  Do you want to still want to ask Sohyun?” “I would be happy to be your guest at your fanmeet, Oppa,” Sohyun chipped in. “I don’t think..” Mrs Kim was about to express her disapproval when Sohyun interrupted. “Omma, please. I’m already in Tokyo for the promotion, it would be ok to be at the fanmeet.” Seung Ho calmly told everyone that he would be happy for Sohyun to attend his fanmeet but he would understand if she can’t. Her attendance would not be promoted. “We don’t have to confirm today.” Turning to Sohyun’s mom, “And Mrs Kim, the flight arrangement for Tokyo, you can also advise the company of your preference. I will be there a couple of days’ earlier to do some visiting.” He then looked at Sohyun and gave her a reassuring smile.

 

Seung Ho sat back down after Sohyun left with her mom and CEO Man. The Producer sat down opposite him and asked, “Her mom not giving her blessings?” Seung Ho just smiled as he remembered the facial reactions of CEO Man and the exchanged looks between him and Mrs Kim and suspected that he had a hand in it. “Let’s not make a big fuss. Her mom is protecting Sohyun. Let’s go with it. For the accommodation, make it that we are on different floor if possible. Could you get them a bigger room too so that it would not be cramped for them to share a room? I can pay for my own room, if that is costly.” Producer smile, “No worries. You are a good man. Would you be interested to know my niece?” Seung Ho just gave him a bored look. The Producer chuckled.

 

Sohyun apologized to Seung Ho when they talked that night. Seung Ho assured her that her mom was just protecting her and he understood. He reassured her that he wasn’t offended. “Thank you Oppa. Oppa, I need a favor,” Sohyun asked sheepishly. “What is it sweetheart?” Seung Ho enquired. “I have a project due tomorrow. Because of the meeting today, I need to slog it so I can make the deadline of 8pm tomorrow. Could I do the project at your place? I need a conducive place to focus.” Seung Ho sighed, “Sweetie, I told you that you can come over anytime. No problem at all. Do you want me to leave the house or it’s ok if I’m home?” “You can stay, just no distraction,” Sohyun answered primly.

 

The next day, Sohyun was at Seung Ho's house early in the morning. She brought sandwiches from home and put it on the kitchen counter and went straight into the study room. She presumed Seung Ho was still sleeping and did not want to disturb him nor did she want the distraction of seeing him in bed.

 

Seung Ho woke up at 10am and had a shower as he wondered what time Sohyun was coming over. He was surprised to find the food on the counter and went to the study room. Sohyun was busy typing on her laptop. He went over to give her a kiss and left to have his breakfast. He ate one sandwich and started preparing lunch so that the food would be ready when Sohyun decided its time for a lunch break. After he finished cooking, he played PS4 game on his TV using a headphone.

 

Sohyun’s stomach started to rumble. She checked her time on her phone and was shocked to see that its almost 2pm. She had 6 more hours to finish the project and she was only halfway through. But she was hungry so she decided to have the sandwich that she brought earlier for lunch first before continuing. She found Seung Ho on the couch playing his game with the headset. Sliding herself next to him and resting her head on his shoulder, she whined, “Oppa. I’m very hungry.” Seung Ho turned to her, “a moment sweetheart” as he continued to complete the game. Sohyun pouted and stood up to go to the kitchen and find her lunch, when Seung Ho held her hand “30 seconds, please.” She sat down and sulked as she waited for him to finish the game.

 

“Ok, I’m done. Let’s eat. I made fried rice and beef bulgogi,” he pulled her up and directed her to the kitchen.  Sohyun dragged her feet and she was still pouting. “Com’on stop sulking. It was just for a couple of minutes,” and he started to tickle her. As she tried to get away from his tickling fingers, she started to giggle. During lunch, Seung Ho asked after her project and if he could be of any help. Sohyun stopped and pondered, “Oppa, it wouldn’t be cheating if I ask you to help me find some things on the internet, right? You sea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter