Ways of the New Household (I)

THE CURSED BRIDE

It is the next day and Mandu is showing Yerin where her things are kept in the closet. She will be her personal maid and assistant. She insists to tie her hair as it is her job to do so. The Parks were the landlords of the place once. Though they no longer have the feudal system, the Parks are still respected and financially strong to preserve some of the old rules. 

Yerin learns about this and she decides to know more about her new home and new husband. Speaking of whom, where is he? He was sleeping beside her when she woke up but has not seen him after getting out of the shower.

"Do you know where is Chaneyol, Mandu? I saw him before I went to change."

"Oh! Young master is in his  playroom! It's the door next to the bathroom."

Yes.Yerin has seen the door when she entered the room the first time. Chanyeol came out of the room yesterday morning.

"A playroom?"

"Yes. It was his childhood bedroom once with so many toys!! He used to let all us servants' children to play with him. He's always so nice," She praises her young master genuinely.   

Yerin nods contently. So, her observation about her husband has been right.

"Mandu, how long have you been working here?"

"Me? I was born here. My father's family has been serving the Parks for generations. He was one of the cooks. Not only my family, most of the servants' have been here  for generations. The Parks always took such great care of us." 

Yerin hums. Her thoughts are distracted when Chanyeol emerges from the room and rushes to the loo next.

 Mandu scoffs and shakes her head,"Young master must have remembered what time it is."

Before she can say anymore there is a knock at the door. It opens to reveal Miko, standing with a glass of milk and 2 small bottles of medicine.

She bows sightly to Yerin, "Good morning, Lady. I hope you slept well." She looks around, "I believe Young Master is hiding again. He does that every day whenever it is time for him to take his medicines."

Yerin frowns, "Medicines? What sort of ?"

​​​​​Miko ignores her and knocks on the bathroom door. "Please excuse me."

Yerin can hear Chanyeol shouting that he won't come out to have them.

"But..." 

Miko's stony face becomes even more hard. She has some keys in her pocket which she uses to unlock the door. She enters.

Yerin is about to follow her but is stopped by Mandu. The younger girl looks sad and afraid. She can hear him refusing and shouting. She ignores Mandu's request and enters the bathroom. She finds Chanyeol sitting on the edge of the bathtub, sobbing.

The house-keeper is expressionless as usual and says to Yerin,"Master has to take his medicines on time. Prescribed by the doctor for his...health. Well, mental health. It has been years now. If he doesn't then it will be bad for him and people around him. He claims they are bitter. So, I always have to force him. I apologize if you are uncomfortable."

Yerin can only nod.

If it is for his health, I guess it should be fine. But why am I not convinced?  

"Young Mistress, the breakfast is served. Let us proceed to the dining room. What would you like to have in breakfast?"

"What about Chanyeol?"

"He always has his meal here. He is not allowed to go out." Mandu blurts out. She quivers under Miko's glare.

Oh, I guess she is not supposed to say that.

Yerin looks at the older woman, "I will have my meals wherever Chanyeol has his. And I would prefer something light for breakfast." She quietly walks towards his sad figure and puts her hand on his shoulder. 

"But, but Master Kyungsoo is waiting for you to join them!"

"Please apologize to him and Uncle Kim on my behalf. But I will like to have my breakfast and every meal with MY husband. Always. Mr. Do and Uncle Kim are always welcome to join us," She states.

"You...you'll not have breakfast with Master Kyungsoo but with Master Chanyeol?!" Miko's voice reflects her disbelief.

"I think I just said. Yes." Yerin's tone is nonchalant.

Miko gets startled and there is a mixture of admiration, awe and respect on Mandu's face.

It seems no one has ever talked to Miko like that or decline such invitation. Oh well, there is a first for everything.

Yerin slowly pats Chanyeol's head. He has been looking at her this whole time. He looks surprised. She smiles a little and leads him outside.

"Now what would Chanyeol like to eat for breakfast?" She asks sweetly.

"Ummm...pancakes!!!" Chanyeol cheers.

"Alright! Let Irin go and make some for you! Okay? Mrs. Miko, can you please lead me to the kitchen?"

Miko gaps and then gestures towards the door.

Yerin looks at Chanyeol,"Okay, so I'll be back in a while and by then I want you to be bathed and ready! We'll have our breakfast together."

Chanyeol quickly nods and runs to follow her words. The ladies proceed towards the kitchen.

 On the way to the kitchen, Yerin sees the cleaning staff and they exchange a cordial and respectful greetings. Mandu informs her that they stay the whole day here, clean and leave in the evening.

They reach the kitchen to find the cooking staff which consist of the head cook, his two assiastants, a young boy who runs errands. 

They are a bit unwilling to let her cook but she says that it is for Chanyeol and they should better get used to her berging in and cooking. 

They find her sweet and funny but Miko seems really irritated.

Yerin is surprised with herself. She never talked so freely with anyone before, let alone making jokes.

Guess living with nice people makes one nicer.

She makes the pancakes quickly and her cooking skills get praised by the head cook. She insists that she will learn more from him which he gladly accepts. She has even made extras for the staffs.

She takes the food with Mandu's help and meets Kyungsoo in the hallway.

"Good Morning."

"Good morning. I see you've made pancakes for Chanyeol."

"Yes! I m so sorry to decline your invitation but I hope you understand." She apologizes politely.

"Oh no! It's completely fine. On the contrary, I should have thought! It's your 1st breakfast after marriage. You would definitely want to eat with your husband! Nevermind! Better luck next time." He winks playfully and smiles.

"Yes surely next time. But with Chanyeol as well." She smiles back.

His smile flattens a bit and excuses himself.

Mandu hides her laughter behind her cough and they hurry to the room.

Chanyeol is sitting at the small table and waiting patiently. He has showered and dressed nicely.

"Oh! What a good boy you are, Chanyeol! Listened to me so nicely! Here is our breakfast!"

They place the trays on the table and he begins to clap and laugh.

"These look delicious! Thank you for the food! I will eat it well!" He starts to dig in.

Yerin looks at Mandu,"Come, have breakfast."

Mandu is shocked, "But Lady Yerin...How can I?!"

Yerin tilts her head, "Why not? Why do you think I brought 2 cups?! I made breakfast for everyone."

Chanyeol looks at her with rounded eyes,"Everyone?! Kyaaahh!! So quickly?"

Mandu helps herself with a cup of tea," Young Master! Our young mistress is amazing!"

"YES! She is!"

His cheer makes them smile.

Yerin peeks at her husband having his meal.

How content he looks eating some pancakes! How happy he gets with such small things!

"Chanyeol."

He looks at her,"Yes?"

"Will you be my friend?"

He thinks for few seconds and nods excitedly,"YES!" He stands up and stretches his hand towards her, "Let's be friends!"

She smiles and stands as well. She grabs his hand and squeezes it lightly, "Yes. Friends. Forever."