How It All Begins...

THE CURSED BRIDE

Yerin opens the fridge to get the left-overs when she sees the stew is over.

Great. The woman must have gotten hungry meanwhile. And they claim I'm stuffing away. Now what?!

She moves out of the kitchen towards her the master bedroom. They are in a deep conversation. She knows that it is bad to eavesdrop but she cannot help when they are discussing about her.

"You are saying that such a rich person is asking for Yerin's hand in marriage?! That too knowing about all these things about her?!"

"Then why the hell would I come home so early and tell you! Stupid!" Eun Sook snaps.

"Ok! Ok! No need to be rude! I'm just surprised anyone would even want to associate with her! Let alone marrying?!" Ji Su huffs.

Her uncle ignores her,"Whatever! The point is we will be rich!" His eyes are glowing.

"But what about the land? Isn't it why we're keeping her here?" Ji Su hesitates.

"Oh, forget about the piece of land!! They are willing to pay ten folds of its price without any negotiation, and all we've to do is get her married and sent her away."

"What if she says no?" She is still not sure.

"She is free to say no. She is an adult now and Sir has forbidden to exert any sort of force on her. We have to create such dilemma that she won't have any choice. We won't keep her at our house anymore. She has nowhere to go and will not to able to leave the village. Chul Soo won't let her. Ever. Then she won't have any other option than agreeing! If she marries, at least she'll be able to escape that man." 

"Yes, and we'll get rid of her forever." Her aunt has already begun dreaming about the money.

"I am gonna talk to her during lunch." He thinks about what he has to say to her.

Yerin knocks on the door and they stop talking abruptly. She informs about the stew and is told to make kimchi. She comes back and begins to chop the cabbages.

So, they want to sell me off ? No. No. Yerin. Think practically. Uncle is right. If you refuse, you'll be out from this house. And once you are out you've no other place to go. You cannot even get out of the village. Those awful men won't let you. Remember what happened today? You were only out for groceries and then to the graveyard?! The people in the market must have seen the gang following you yet they did not alert you. No one will help you if  Chul Soo and kills you infront of them!    

The other thing you can do is get married. But to whom? Who's the person they are talking about?

She finishes up the work and asks them to have lunch. Yerin is about to move away when her uncle calls her to sit with them. If she did not know the reason, she would have been shocked. She quietly takes a seat.

Her uncle clears his throat, "Yerin, today's incident has scared us. We know that Chul Soo has been after you for years now and his audacity is increasing each day. So, we're thinking of getting you married. Cuz we think it's the last resort. It will be good for you. You'll be away from all this misery and bad words. I also came home so early to inform you that You got an amazing marriage proposal! We want you to marry the owner of the factory. They live four hours away. They also know what the people say about you here. They are very modern and educated! They do not care about such things at all! They are very nice people and you'll live like a queen with no qualms. So, we suggest you agree."

Yerin looks up at her uncle who is trying to sound caring and her aunt is trying to hide her excitement.

"Can I...I know who you want me to marry?" She asks in an emotionless voice.

Her aunt sneers, "Why you..." But her uncle stops her. 

" Oh, Shut up you idiotic woman! She is getting married and she has to know the name of her prospective groom! Right, my dear?" Her uncle scolds her aunt and smiles brightly at her,"You are to marry present owner of the factory."

"Do Kyungsoo?!" Her aunt quips.

"No! Park Chanyeol." EunSook nods, "Do Kyungsoo is just the face!" 

Her aunt gasps audibly which she finds weird. Why? Is this a bad thing?

But Yerin has decided. She straightens up, she needs to leave this hell-hole. "I consent to this marriage. When's the wedding?"

They relax. Her lack of emotions is not surprising for them."It's on Saturday. After 2 days...They do not want to wait."

"What do I've to take with me? I mean should I start packing?" her tone is cold.

"Huh? Oh! Nothing actually! They will be getting you a new wardrobe! Just the things you'll require."

"Alright." They have their lunch silently. The couple are having a hard time controlling their happiness. Her aunt is behaving way too much nicely with her. Letting her eat all the meat. Making a list of all the things she will require to feed her in these 2 days. She will cook and do all the works. Yerin is excused from all and she will only rest and take care of herself. She needs to look good on her wedding.

Her uncle has asked them to keep this news a secret. No one can be trusted these days. Especially if that horrible man gets any air of it, he will definitely cause trouble and Eun Sook does not want to risk it.

Yerin is now sitting on her shabby bed cause she is not allowed to do anything around. Her mind explores the idea of getting married.

Halmo, appa, omma, did I do the right thing? Agreeing to this alliance? But what else would I have done? If I had said no then uncle would've told me to leave the house. I would have done that happily but then what? I cannot stay in or leave the village due to Chul Soo and no one here will help me...

May be...may be this marriage will help me. I hope Park Chanyeol is a nice person...

She lies down and falls asleep thinking about the unseen and unpredictable life waiting for her.