Revelation (I)

THE CURSED BRIDE

Yerin is trying to hide her sneer. Since it is Chanyeol's birthday, he is "allowed" to eat in the dining room. The Byuns are also here. It is so unfair and outrageous that he has to be confined in his own house. She fears that she is going to snap one day. It is ironic how she had been subjected to much crueler treatment all her life. She did not bother to say a single word against them. She knew it will not help. It can be her repressed anger wanting to vent out. Or she cannot tolerate any prejudice against anyone else.

They are having breakfast. Chanyeol's favourites. Uncle Kim and Kyungsoo have wished him with a lot of gifts. 

It has been uneventful except for the creepy glances Uncle Kim directed at Inhee. She feels uncomfortable but stops Baekhyun to react. She wants to avoid any conflict for her little brother's birthday. 

"So, Yeol. Did you like your birthday presents?" Kyungsoo wiggles his eyebrows.

Chanyeol says excitedly,"All the gifts are very nice but Irin's one is the best!"

Kyungsoo looks curious, "Really? What did she get you?"

"She made me a cake! She was also the first person to wish me! She.The. Best!!"

His outburst makes his hyung and noona smile sweetly but Kyungsoo looks uncomfortable and angry  .

Uncle Kim wipes his mouth, "Yerin and Chanyeol. I am glad to see such...progress in your relationship. It means we made the right decision." He raises one eyebrow and looks challengingly at Baekhyun. He frowns back and his wife slowly pats his hand under the table. 

 

 "Well, if it is meant to be, it will happen. It does not matter what one decides."

 Everyone turns their heads at the speaker, Chanyeol. They are flabbergasted.

Yerin asks him what he just said. He just looks at her and shrugs as if he had no memory of it.

 

 

They finish the breakfast. The Byuns leave as Baekyun has to go to office and Inhee has some work. Actually she does not want to stay back as Uncle Kim is at home.

Yerin and Chanyeol are asked to wait in the living-room.She notices Uncle Kim gesturing Kyungsoo who nods back after checking his watch.

"Yerin, Chanyeol. Please wait. There is something very important we need to talk about. Someone's coming."

"Who?" The doorbell interrupts her.

After a minute or two, Butler Min appears with a man in formal wear and a briefcase in his hand. She looks at Chanyeol. It seems her husband is familiar with this gentleman.

They bow to one another.

"Yerin. This is our family lawyer, Advocate Yang. He has been working for the Parks and Co. for almost 30 years now."

Yang takes her hand and said politely, "At your service, Lady Park."

 "Hello sir, I am Park Kang Yerin."

 

 

They all sit and Advocate Yang takes out some papers from his bag. He checks them and clears his voice, "The papers are ready."

Yerin frowns a little and looks at Uncle Kim.

"Lady Park. You must have known by now the Parks are a very old and powerful family." 

 Yerin nods.

"So, you should not find it weird that such families have some traditions. The Parks are no different. They have always been extremely particular about them."

It seems I will be getting some new information about my new family. 

"As you know, Mr. Park should be the sole heir of this huge property. But it will not be so easy. To claim his right, the heir has to get married before his 24th birthday. Yet, everything will not belong to him. He will inherit two third of the property. The rest will belong to the new Lady Park."

I was right. Chanyeol's health is not the only reason we got married.

"Since Mr. Park got married before his 24th, the property has been distributed between you and your husband."

"What if, what if he was not married by now?" Yerin inquires. 

"Then all the property would have gone to the charity. All the hard earned money and inheritance from the forefathers. Everything."

She just nods again and looks at Chanyeol, "You knew?" 

"Yeah!" He shrugs.

"You two need to sign some papers. Your wedding certificates and other papers were already submitted 4 months ago. You see, we need to verify everything. No loopholes. Still practised."

So that's why they took so quick signatures.

Yerin glances at the uncle-nephew duo. Kyungsoo has a curious yet knowing look on his face and Uncle Kim is a bit anxious.

She takes the papers, signs and pass them to her husband. He signs after reading them thoroughly.

After the lawyer left, Uncle Kim approaches,"Yerin. I hope that you'll understand our reasoning just like that day."

"There was nothing we could do about the will so we had to search for a bride. Time was passing away and we were worried. Then we learned about one of our worker's orphan niece, you. We sent the proposal immediately to Kang. He accepted it so quickly. We thought we should not wait. Besides, such works could require a long time. We did not tell your uncle anything as he and his family are so greedy. Though you had every right to know, we could not trust you. We did not know you at all. We thought of waiting. You would have been informed anyway on his birthday. We know you now and believe that the property is in good hands. You have accepted Chanyeol and this marriage the way they are. You make him happy without any vile motive. I apologize again for being judgemental but you have to understand. We had to make sure Chanyeol's wife is not after his wealth." 

Yerin just looks at him and sighs, "I understand."

 

 

"Okay, oppa. Let me know if you get anymore info. Take care of yourself and unnie. Bye." Yerin puts down her cell phone. She called him to inform what happened after their departure. He was a little surprised to know that she had no idea about the will. He never said anything as he thought she must have been informed about it. 

She wonders what her uncle and his family would have done if they had known about the inheritance. Uncle Kim was right though. It is better that they had no idea about it.

She enters her husband's playroom where he is cleaning the dolls. She begins to help.

There are so many different types of dolls. They never fail to amaze her.

She looks at the human dolls closely. Kyungsoo, Miko, Uncle Kim and Butler Min. The people with whom he interacts most in the house. 

"Yeol. You did not make Baekhyun oppa or Inhee unnie as dolls?"

"Yes, I did! But when they went away together for sometimes to get married, I got so sad that they didn't tell me anything. I cried and cried alone. Then Miko was very angry. She...She is very scary when she is angry. She punished me by locking me here. Inhee noona was not even here to save me. I got very angry and took the 2 dolls and said that they were no longer my noona and hyung and broke them off," He wipes his eyes.

Yerin runs her fingers in his hair," Oh Chanyeol, I am so sorry."

Chanyeol shakes his head, "I should not be so angry! Dad always said to keep control on your anger. It is good to be angry but that has to be jus-justified. They came back and then said sorry. They had to do it. Then I felt sorry for being so angry and breaking their dolls."

Yerin cannot blame them. They actually had no choice but elope.

"Well, you could make them back."

Chanyeol shakes his head," No, I can't. I can never make a replica. It just is not the same. It feels so different and weird."

She nods. Chanyeol is talking about inspiration, maybe.

'Hey! You can make my doll!" She smiles.

"No! Never!" He firmly refuses.

It makes her sad," Why?" 

"Coz I don't want you like that! I want that you stay with me like a person, not as a doll! I want the real you."

Chanyeol does not even know or understand what his words mean to her.

He is still busy keeping his toys at their place.

"Chanyeol."

He looks up.

"Happy Bithday." She moves closer to him and plants a kiss on his lips.