The Wedding: Bizarre or Farcical

THE CURSED BRIDE

It is Friday. Her uncle has brought some papers to get her signatures. Marriage registration papers. The groom has already signed them. Eun Sook says that it is urgent so the marriage can be registered today. They are waiting outside. Yerin cannot understand why they need to get it done a day before. They can get married and do all the formalities on the same day. Her aunt voices some similar thoughts. Her uncle explains that if they do it on Saturday then they have to wait till Monday to get it legalized. Though the answer satisfies Ji Su, Yerin is still a little unsettled with their urgency.

Eun Sook nudges her. She holds the pen in her hand. Her hand is shaking. She is contemplating. She is going to sign off her whole life and the thought scares her. She is going to get hitched with someone she has never seen. She looks up for some help and gets disappointed at her childish expectations. Who is she looking at and why? Even though they are not forcing her, she still has no other option. It seems like a better option to get married to a completely unknown man. What has her life come to? She takes a deep breathe, sends a quick prayer to the God and signs herself away.

Her aunt claps her hands happily and rushes to call their daughter to share the news. Her uncle takes the papers, re-checks them and goes out to hand them. Yerin peeks out of the window to see a very expensive black car waiting outside.

A middle-aged man gets out, takes the papers and looks at them closely. He passes them to a young man and nods to him. Both of them are very well-dressed. The young man is very handsome to look at. Dressed in all black, he has round eyes and short hair. They talk for some few minutes and then drive away. Her uncle gets inside.

Her aunt looks behind him and asks, "Did they leave?”

Her uncle nods, "Yes, it will take hours for them to reach the office and they want to get it done once and for all.”

“What’s that in your hand?” Her aunt asks curiously.

Eun Sook rounds eyes, “Oh! I forgot! Its her wedding dress. You gave her measurements, remember?” He hands them to her.

“WOW! That was fast! Woah! That’s a beautiful dress they got you considering such short time. You are some lucky lass.”

Yerin does not even know when her aunt has given her measurements but it does not matter now. She takes the bag from her hand and goes to her room. She takes the dress out and sighs. She has never thought of getting a husband or a home of her own. But this is so sudden that she cannot think of the exact word to put it. She looks at the clock. It is 8 o'clock in the morning and they will be back for her exactly after 24 hours.

It will be a lie to state she has not thought about this man Park Chanyeol. He is her legal husband now. She is practical enough not to dream of any prince charming or to hope for love but she prays that they will be able to tolerate each other and live in peace. She is sure that there has to be a reason why such a rich man is marrying a girl like her. She will find that out soon.

The 24 hours passed in a jiffy and now she is standing in front of the old mirror in her old 'room'.  She wonders what would her Halmo and her parents have said if they had seen her. Would she be the most beautiful bride for them? Would she be having such type of wedding today? Her trail of thoughts gets interrupted by a knock on the door. She looks at her in the mirror one last time and opens it revealing JiSu who is busking in excitement.

 "Are you ready? They are here. Wow. You cleaned up good." Her aunt comments.    

 

rBVaI1g9I8KAJ9TqAAMerx-SCQw324.jpg (Yerin is wearing this dress with her black thick hair in a bun and just kohl in her eyes)

She nods once. She walks slowly to the living room where her uncle, her cousin along with two men are talking. They are the same people from yesterday. Yerin wonders if one of them is Park Chanyeol.

"Ah there she is!! Yerin come and greet your in-laws." Her uncle exclaims.

Yerin stands in front of them and bows respectfully.

The two men bow back.

"Hello. My name is Kim Byeong Hun. I am known as Uncle Kim at home. I'm your uncle-in-law from maternal side." The middle-aged man introduces himself.

"Hi there, Sis-in-law! Myself  Do Kyungsoo, bro-in-law at your service." He flashes his most charming smile which make her aunt and cousin almost swoon and even her uncle awed. 

It is something he is used to all the time. What shocks him is that it has no visible effect on the bride.

Yerin nods deeply to them and says,"Good morning. I'm Kang Yerin." 

"We should start for the road. It will take us 4 hours to reach and we are having a brunch to celebrate. So if you are ready, shall we start?"

"Oh yes! YES! Let's leave!" Her aunt andd cousin hurries.

Yerin observes that her family is really well-dressed today for her "wedding-reception". More than they had for their daughter, Mina's wedding. She shakes her head slightly. Mina is behaving so polite for obvious reasons and balancing her jealousy as well. It is quite comical to be honest.

I guess greed does that to you.

Yerin takes her small, black bag and gets into the car. It seems the villagers got the hunch of what is happening and their over-curious and prying eyes are following them from the cottage to the main road. So many different expressions on their faces, mostly shock, but Yerin has grown too much used to it. She knows that her new family also can understand the situation, it is written on their faces. Uncle Kim cordially ignores the hushed words and stares. And Do Kyungsoo looks around once and then at her through the rear view with a smirk and an amused look on his face.

Yerin glances at him and looks out the window after they are driving on the main road. She sighs a little and closes her eyes. She did not sleep much last night. She cannot embark on a new life if she is tired.