Fear and Courage

THE CURSED BRIDE

***** Please accept my apology for the accidental update this morning. And Please enjoy this doulbe update...

 

Yerin is walking through the corridor. There are 11 large bedrooms with attached bathrooms in this mansion.This excludes the Library, Park's personal studyroom, the mega kitchen area, much spaceous dining and living room. Not to forget the servants' quarters, storerooms, laundry room and a ballroom. It is more than a palace for her.

Or a dungeon where someone may feel trapped, rather than comfortable...

She went down to collect their clothes. Usually its Mandu's job but she and her little brother are having their examinations and she does not want to cause any disturbance to them. And if the work is not done in time then Miko will get vexed. And She does not want that for those poor kids...

She is passing the studyroom when she sees Uncle Ki coming out of the room in a hurry. 

"Oh Good morning Yerin...Have you...have you said anything to Chanyeol yet...?"

Yerin sighs and shakes her head. This morning around 5 a.m. she was awaken by Miko to follow her to the studyroom where Uncle Kim, Kyungsoo and some of the older servants were waiting. From their serious and sad exressions she got the hunch that something was wrong. And It was...

"No...I just couldn't..." She lowers her gaze.

Uncle Kim nods," I understand...but you have to... cuz in such situation only you can handle him now... I mean you should get ready... You TWO have to leave now to reach on time..."

 

Yerin stops at the door. She peeks in to see Chanyeol is not inside...

Where is he...?

 

Chanyeol has NEVER been locked up here. She thought so but gradually for the last 5 months she saw it was not true. He is free to do everything but There are SOME REASONS for him to stay confined...

First will be the most logical one... that he has a nature and mind of a five year old and you definitely do not let a 'child' out on 'its own'...

Kyungsoo and Uncle Kim are too busy to take him out and Miko and Butler Min are out of question. The servants would have but they've their own jobs to do...

Second and last reasons are those that has made Yerin see the similarity with her husband and can connect with him...

Like Her... He has no place to go... no friends...no other family... no favourite place and him being an introvert does not help the matter at all...

Even if she may help him out in these two matters, this thing of his 'self-imprisonment' co-incides with her to the most... which was actually shared with her by Mandu and Her unnie...

After several days of the accident halmoni sent Chanyeol to the park. He had been in comatose situation for months and he got out of it and began to behave like his much younger self. He was taken to different doctors and went through intensive care from specialists from abroad. So one day since he had been in a single place for so long, she thought to get him some change...

But that proved to be a very wrong move on his grandmother's... He was severely bullied and teased by other kids who not only assaulted him verbally but also physically. Stooping so low to even accussing him of his father and step mother's death... 

It took a troll on his health again and the improvements he was showing diminshed into worst. This incident resulted him to form agoraphobia (fear of outside and social embarassment) and nightmares. Those medicines which caused that 15 minutes of deadly headaches were for those horrifying dreams. He still ventures out in the gardens and other parts of the house though very shy with most of the servants. 

According to all, Kyungsoo, Uncle Kim, Baekhyun and then Inhee tried very much to get him out but in vain. Also they were not suppose to pressurize him for something...

But can she...?  

 

Yerin breathes in and out deeply when she realizes he is coming out of the washroom. He smiles at the sight of her and says happily, "Look Irin!! I've showered after exercizing!!" Lowering his tone, "I ve also flushed away the meds..." He looks pleased with his activities...

She smiles sadly at him,"That's...that's nice...Yeol can you sit here I need to talk to you about something..."

Chanyeol sits beside her on the bed and frowns," Irin...are you sad? Is something wrong...?"

She wipes her tears. She has to be strong. "Chanyeol... Yoon  ma'am is no more..."

Chanyeol blinks,"What...? She is dead....? Like ....like...' His voice constricts and eyes wells up. He begins to sob like a child...

Yerin quickly hugs him tightly and runs her hand over his head and back. 

"Yoon ma'am...She is no...That's not true..." He is broken.

"Yes. We got the news today early morning... She had a peaceful death... she died in her sleep..." Yerin is not sure whether to tell him this much but he should know...

"Yeol... Her service shall be done in few hours... we should go there..."

" Out-Outside the mansion?! But..." He shudders.

She can understand his dilemma but it has to be said. "I know but you should meet her one last time... she has been your teacher, like a loving and caring halmoni she was always there for you and Baekhyun oppa... She has been not only yours...but also your father and grandfather's house tutor... So being her fostered great-grand son also the Park heir should you not do your duty? What would your appa, omma, halmoni, harabeoji think of you...?"

She hates herself to exert such emotional pressure on him but to get him better she has to do it... It is important for both Madame Yoon and himself...

"But what if...?" Chanyeol sniffs and hesitates.

"I'll be there...Inhee noona and Baek oppa will be there too... You need to go... for yourself and Madame Yoon... You need to face it..."

He sits for sometime and thinks. She looks at his face and asks softly, "Shall I get your black overcoat..."

"Yes..." He murmurs...

 

They procession has begun. They had reached on time. They stand quietly and pay their last respects to such a wise figure. There aren't many people present but those who are there, have come to show their true condolence. She is standing next to Chanyeol, trying to console him by hugging him tightly. He is still shivering from the cry. Baekhyun and Inhee are also there with red eyes and shaky breathes that reveals their closeness to the lady. Kyungsoo and Uncle Kim are also here.

 The Funeral is over. At the time of their departure with Chanyeol clinging to her side she is stopped by an older woman of around 60.

"Hello my dearests.. Chanyeol...do you remember me?" Her voice is so soft.

"Yes..." His voice is hoarse from crying.

Yerin slowly asks him to wait with Baekhyun and Inhee in the car and after some persuasion he agrees and walks away with his noona.

She looks back at the woman standing. While offering their condolence and during the prayers they have been introduced slightly. She is madame Yoon's daughter...

"I'm so glad you came and brought Yeol with you... I'm sure My mother would be so happy..."

"Of course He should be here... I pray she is rest in peace now..."

"Yes. She lived a life with ideals and honesty and It has been a long and happy life for her along with a peaceful death... So I shall not mourn..." Ms. Yoon sighs.

Yerin nods," I wish I could meet her more..."

"Oh Dear! In this few months you, Baek and Inhee visited her and not to forget the regular calls from four of you were enough for her... It is the proof that she has earned such valuable thing like respect from you..."

"But still I wish I could talk to her..."

"Yes past few years were hard on here...she could not see, or remember things... and all those problems that occur with old age... I mean after all she was above 80 years..."

"Oh here I am talking all these things but forgot about the reason why I stopped you... Please excuse my habit... I talk a lot nowadays... Age is catching up on me as well... You see two days back my mother gestured me to get her some paper, envelope and pen. She wrote some thing... I understood that it was a letter. I understand all her sign languages... anyway She put it away. Last night before sleeping she  gave it to me to pass it to the person it is intended to... then she passed away in her sleep..." She wipes a lone tear from her face. 

She takes it out from her purse and gives it to her, "There you go...Yerin. I believe it belongs to you... May be omma understood her time had come..."

Yerin takes the letter with a surprised look. She remembers her few meetings with the lady and only holding her hand compassionately. She was too old to speak or move and yet she...

"Thank you so much Miss Yoon and Take care of yourself..."

They exchange their farewells and she gets into the car for a silent and long drive.  

The Byuns are dropped at their home on the way and they arrive at the mansion.

Chanyeol freshens up and falls asleep without any single word and Yerin does not  pester him.

She changes into her gown, asks Mandu to not let anyone to disturb them. They had a long day which has been wrecking on them  from all aspects, especially on Chanyeol.

She sits by the window and looks at the letter. It is sealed, addressed to her in a sophisticated hand writing...

She takes a deep breathe, opens the seal and begins to know...