The Voice

Seven Days

Before Sungjong could answer the doctors went in and minutes later Sunggyu came rushing in. After checking his condition the patient was advised to rest.

 Sungjong sat on the couch across Myungsoo’s bed, Sungyeol sat beside the patient while Sunggyu leaned on the wall by the couch not taking his eyes off his sibling making sure his brother is really okay.

When Myungsoo fell asleep the room fell into silent worry but the constant heave of his cheat and the slight movements from the patient is assurance that he’s really is awake.

Soon after Sungyeol left while Sunggyu stayed, Sungjong had fallen asleep on the couch he was sitting.

The sun was just above the horizon hitting the small ice crystals floating by when Myungsoo woke up for the second time. He asked to talk to Sunggyu alone and to send Sungjong home to rest. The younger boy just nodded and smiled and started to leave.

 

“ Hey are you forgetting something?” Myungsoo called out to Sungjong.

 

“ forgetting what?” Sungjong asked digging into his pockets.

 

“ A goodbye hug… a kiss would be nice” the older boy winked at him with a teasing grin pasted on his face.

 

Sungjong turned beet red as Sunggyu stood their between them. He clenched his fist and strode to the patient. Myungsoo seeing the usual angry expression on his boyfriend’s face knew he’s up for a beating.

“ hey.. you can’t beat me I’m a patient I…” Myungsoo couldn’t even finish what he was about to say when Sungjong hold him by the shoulders, looked at his face and suddenly kisses him. Even Sunggyu was surprised to even react or think.

 

“ you happy? Good ‘cause I’m going to kill your when you’re out of here.” Sungjong said releasing the clearly shocked and blushing Myungsoo. The younger boy then bowed to Sunggyu as an apology for his audacity and walked like a robot straight out the door. Once outside he slumped on the floor from embarrassment and guilty admitting it… Sungjong felt a bit happy… just light per say… ^_^

 

Sunggyu chuckled as he shook his head looking by the door. I just had my heart broken again.

 

Myungsoo wanted to lighten the mood before to talk to his brother. In reality he’s scared and he wanted Sungjong to cheer him up but he never thought that this time it would be his turn to get teased. He could feel his ears and cheeks heat up. shoot he’s so dang cute.  

 

“ well … *clears throat that was cute” the older brother commented.

 

“ Yeah… I know. Ha-ha.”

 

“ so… you feeling okay?”

 

“ Yeah, this time it’s for real” Myungsoo smiled to himself nodding his head.

 

It was Myungsoo who asked for his brother to tell his side.

About the truth.

About the Past.

About Sunggyu and his condition.

About how his older brother took the responsibility and as repentance for what their mother had done to his little brother.

About how he’s been making sure Myungsoo will be fine even if he’s no longer their.

About how he knew his condition and that he never wanted his brother to be in any part of it let alone serve as a sacrifice.

 

“ I … I guess at the end of the day I’m more afraid of you not considering me as your brother than anything else. Without you I no longer have a family and I’ll be alone.” Sunggyu explained to Myungsoo, “ I cannot undo what she had done. How many times I’ve beaten myself for being born I’ve lost count on it. Myungsoo, I’m so sorry I know you did this for me but please I don’t want to loose someone important to me again. I could never handle guilt if I loose you.”

In the end Sunggyu was crying beside his little brother.

 

“ I realized that all this time I’ve only been selfish and only looked at my own suffering. When I found out about you I went and decide to take my own life thinking it’s the only way I could help you. I didn’t think how would you feel… how would anyone feel… now I know why I always made the people around me cry… hyung I’m so sorry.” Myungsoo hold out his hand to wipe the tears in his brother’s eyes, “ come one you’re not supposed to cry in front of your little brother. You look gross when you cry hyung.”

 

“ Aww shut up you. Look who’s crying too” Sunggyu laughed through his tears wiping his tears.

 

“ I’m the younger one here so I can act like a kid.”

 

From outside the room laughter can be heard as the two brothers finally reunited.

 

The street lights were up and running as thousands of people pass by each other each with their own places to go. Sungjong stood there not knowing where he should take himself.

 

“ Fine evening isn’t it?” a man was sitting on a nearby bench all by himself.

 

“ excuse me, but uhm are you talking to me?” Sungjong politely asked, he could not see clearly the face of the person as it has hidden with a hat but his movement exudes calmness.

 

“ you’re Lee Sungjong am I correct?” the man made no effort to stand but continues to talk.

 

“ how do you know my name? Who are you sir?”

 

The man stood and took his hat with a smile, “ I’m Myungsoo’s father. Will you take me to his room”

 

“ah.” Sungjong stood their speechless for a moment. Clearly the man was standing their in an intimidating yet calm presence. He looked for Myungsoo’s resemblance but he more of Sunggyu’s mannerism in him but he’s still hesitant and holds on to his phone.

 

“ Ah! No! I mean you no harm! Don’t be afraid. I mean I’m the one panicking ah wait not… please wait a moment.” the calmness, the elite looking personality and the dominant stance suddenly crumbles down in front of Sungjong into an awkward and clumsy person, “ I mean here’s my identification card and my business card to verify. You can also reach my office and my secretary will vouch for me. I’m really Myungsoo’s dad, I simply want to visit and would like you to accompany me. Will you?”

 

“su…sure” the younger boy agreed but wondering why he has to accompany the person when he could’ve just go there himself and why is this guy holding unto a cane when he’s not that old himself.

 

“ thank you, I actually tried to go by myself but I ended up in a different hospital and when I got here I got lost a few times with all the rooms looking all the same he-he. It would be a great help if you can accompany me”

 

Goofy. Is he really Myungsoo’s dad? Myungsoo has never been one to talk about his family and when he does it’s about his mother all this time Sungjong had an image of a powerful business with a cold almost harsh attitude. Well it only goes to show you can never really tell that this middle age who looked so much like an elite a few minutes ago actually turns out to be such a simple person.

 

“ how long have you known my son?” Soohyun asked the boy as they go up the elevator.

 

“ we’re classmates during high school sir and we became roommates when he got to university”

 

“ hmmm, so that’s why you seemed familiar. I probably have seen you in his school back then. Tell me son, how much did he tell you about me?” the man asked with a smile waiting for an answer.

 

“ Myungsoo don’t talk much about family sir uhmm…” Sungjong paused looking for an answer but he couldn’t find any, “ and in high school we don’t really belong to the same social circle. Though… uhmm back then the teacher would always scold him for forgetting to tell his parents to attend the school meeting. Ah I mean that was before … I’m sorry I probably talked too much.”

 

“ha-ha no no. It’s nice to see someone close to him. I visited his school once… well more like sneaked in and got kicked out for being suspicious.” Soohyun explained.

 

“eh? I did recall something like that happening in high school but they say it was a … don’t tell me that was you?” Sungjong looked speechless before the Myungsoo’s dad.

 

“ guilty as charged. ^__^ though I didn’t mean any harm. It’s just I got two kids who would as much as possible didn’t want to see their father.” this time the middle aged-man made a small sad smile at the corner of his mouth, “ I couldn’t blame the kids either, they grew up in a rather… unique family so to speak.”

 

“ Sir we’re here, room zero three-thirteen.” Sungjong informed his companion and took hold of the door knob. “ for what it’s worth sir, I never thought for once that he hated his family, Myungsoo he grew up to be a good son and I think you’re also part of it sir.”

 

“ thank you for listening to me. I actually brought you as a leverage but I think I’m ready to my own kids now.”

 

As they were to open the door they heard laughter emanating from inside the room.

 

Kim Soohyun stopped in surprised to hear sound he never thought he would be hearing in this life time. How long has it been since he heard laughter from both his sons that he wasn’t sure if they were in the right room.

 

“ Sungjong? Why are you here I thought you went home” Myungsoo was surprised to see the boy open the door.

 

“ well I met someone who wanted to see the both of you.” Sungjong widens the door open and Soohyun stepped in.

“ Good evening boys, I can see that you two finally made up. I think it’s also time for me to say sorry and apologize for everything.” Soohyun offered for a handshake to his son but Myungsoo took a hug.

 

“ I should be the one to apologize. I understand you did everything to help our family and I’ve been indifferent to you and our family I hope you can forgive me, dad.” the patient calmly said, “ But I think you and Sunggyu-hyung had a lot to talk about.”

 

Sungjong couldn’t say anything but he felt he should be going so he slowly slipped away when Myungsoo called out to him.

 

“ Sungjong-ah, mind if you sleep here tonight? It’s already late”

 

Sunggyu and Myungsoo made a meaningful looked to each other before he’s older brother and father went outside to talk.

 

“ I’ll… I’ll sleep on the couch” the younger boy awkwardly pointed on the couch near the bed.

 

“ you know this bed is big enough for the both of us” Myungsoo said as he move aside to create space.

 

“ good try but I’ll sleep on the couch.”

 

“ then I’ll stare at you all night, take photos and won’t go back to sleep.” Myungsoo grins

 

“ don’t say another word. If you do I might forget you’re still recovering and beat you up” Sungjong took off his coat and lay himself near the edge of the bed and pretend to immediately fall asleep.

 

Yet Myungsoo made no attempt to disturb him more over the older boy even covered him with a blanket all fell silent.

A few minutes and nothing.

The younger boy forced himself to sleep but he was curious what is happening behind his back. Unable to contain his curiosity he slowly turn to his back and saw Myungsoo smiling while intently looking at him.

 

“ hi there.”

 

“ you said you won’t stare! Are you a creep?!”

 

“ hey! As your boyfriend I have the right to stare on what’s mine right?” Myungsoo smiled as he gently poke the lone point on Sungjong’s nose. Cute.

 

“boy…boyfriend?” Sungjong repeated, confused.

 

“ yeah, aren’t we still going out? Come on I know it’s just pretend but I’m still your boyfriend right?”

 

“ you don’t remember that night?”

 

“ what night?”

“ the night we broke … I mean the night we agreed to call it quits. You can’t remember?”

 

“ huh? Did something like that happened? I can’t remember.”

 

“ yeah, I told you that Sungyeol-hyung night give you a chance so we decided to stop.”

 

“ we did?  I can’t… then that voice I keep hearing.”Myungsoo looked at Sungjong

 

“ voice?”

 

“ I keep hearing this voice calling out to me. When I realized I followed it and then I found myself waking up. That voice, could it be Sungyeol-hyung?” am I mistaken or did I naturally assume it would be Sungjong’s?

 

“ What… what did the voice say?” Sungjong asked.

 

“ I love you. I love you so please come back to me.” Myungsoo stared straight at his friend, “ the voice said that to me. Sungjong-ah, could you tell me those exact words?”

 

“ What? Tell you?” Sungjong felt his heart racing towards survival.

 

“ I just wanted to make sure. If it’s Sungyeol who said those words then that means he finally fell in love with me, right?”

 

“ oh.” you just wanted to make sure it’s not me. For a moment I thought … Sungjong made felt his heart crashing into a wall.

 

“ well?” Myungsoo was waiting looking at his friend.

 

“ uhmm, I just have to say it how ever I want right?”

 

“ yeah-yea.”

 

“ Here goes nothing.” Sungjong took a deep breathe while Myungsoo eagerly waits.

 

*boink

 

That’s the comical sound of pillow hitting Myungsoo on the head.

 

“ idiot, as if I can say those things to you. No way” Sungjong said going back on his original position lying on his side by the bed.

 

Silence.

 

“ ha-ha-ha yeah, you’re definitely right. There’s no way you can say those words to me. I must’ve…” Myungsoo made a hollow laugh and fell quiet, “ I’m sorry, my mistake.”

 

“ apology accepted now go to sleep.”

 

“ yeah, that’s probably best. I mean when I woke up it was Sungyeol who was there beside me. It must have been him who said those words.

 

Sungjong felt a sharp shearing pain inside his chest but he didnt scream. All he can do is to endure the pain as a tear or two escape his eyes. He couldve told him the truth but he didnt know why he didnt.

 

 

 

.........................................IDEVIANT.................................................. 

It's summer guys but I still have to work 

I wasn't able to update sooner because i got sicj from work 

but hope you enjoy this chapter I'm gonna update one soon