Friendship and Promises

Seven Days

“Just why are we here again?” Myungsoo asked as they arrived in school on a Sunday late morning. Though the school’s not that empty with some of the sports club having their practice the architectural department building was deserted.

 

“ I have to starts with my project, the presentation is less than two weeks away and I’m still on ground zero” the younger answered as they arrived on a vacant studio at the back of the building, “ I’m still not sure what should I do.”

 

“Don’t you have like a theme or something?” the older boy asked.

 

“ We do” Sungjong said putting down his bag on the table. The studio were once used as a storage but now it serves as a working station for art students especially in design. Long wooden shelves filled with paint to construction materials line the both sides of the room. There’s a couch, smaller shelves with books, a restroom and an improvised kitchen. Most of the times it was Woohyun who uses the room since he has the key.

“ what it is?” Myungsoo said looking around.

Sungjong made a small pause as if unwilling to answer, “ Dream home”

“ Dream home?” the older boy repeated with a question, “ that’s so cliche, isn’t it?”

 “ tell me about it. It’s just I’m not really sure how should I decide on things. I have to make something that are profitable as well as practical for the market”

“Wow, you just made “dream house” sound so business like. Wait, whose dream house are we talking about?”

“no one in particular. It depends on who our client is” Sungjong explained, “ I was thinking of asking potential people but I couldn’t choose a subject”

 

“ How about you? Why don’t you make your own dream house” Myungsoo said.

 

“I thought of that but it just doesn’t feel right. I mean I could live anywhere if you want me to” the younger boy replied while transferring the photos he took on the desktop.

 

“ hmmm… then how about a house you want to live with someone?”

 

“ with someone?” Sungjong’s eyebrows furrowed.

 

“Yeah, I mean one day you’ll probably have your own family. How about you make one for them.”

 

“Me?” Sungjong asked as though he doesn’t believe it.

 

“ Sure, I mean you should make your dream house instead of thinking about other people. Make it as though you’ll be the one living in it and the people you want to”  

 

“ Yeah… you’re probably right. I could, I mean…” the younger boy seemed unconvinced by his words, “ Yeah, I’ll do that. Thanks”

 

“Hey, just don’t pressure yourself too much. I’m here if you need me” Myungsoo smiled as he started to relax on the couch.

 

“Speaking of help, here’s a list of what you need to buy. I want them before lunch.”

 

“Euh? I’m going out?” the older boy asked taking the list and reading it.

 

“ is there a problem? Oh by the way I need some potter’s clay on the tone, you can buy them on the store beside the hardware at 6th avenue.”

 

“? What’s that?”

 

“ just tell the store they know what to give you. Now get going I need to work.”

 

Myungsoo made a small protest but Sungjong was already engrossed in his work he didn’t paid any attention.

 

However as the door closed behind him he lets out a deep sigh.

 

Wow, that’s a wake call. Sungjong thought to himself. I never gave thought what my life would be when this little charade of our end. It’s like he’s saying he’ll soon no longer need me. If this ends, what should I do?

 

Myungsoo stared at the list on his hand. Family, if Sungjong will have one someday… what should I do?  The older boy sighed to himself as the cab drove on.

 

Halfway through an hour after the former left Sungjong discovered that he forgot to borrow a book he needed and decides to go to the library. He walked passed their department building into a stone paved shortcut through their school’s overgrown garden park. The younger boy remembers the day he saw Myungsoo arguing with Sungyeol and accidentally discover his friend’s secret.

 

As he was nearing his destination he saw someone sitting on a bench coughing up violently.

“ excuse me, are you okay?” the younger boy offered and realized the person in front of him is none other than Sungyeol.

 

“ I’m fine.” the latter did not pay attention to Sungjong and drank the can of malt he was holding.

 

“ pardon me, but you’re Sungyeol right?”

 

“ yeah, and you are?” the older boy looked up and shook his head, “ yeah I know you. What do you want?”

 

“ uhm, you look pale. Maybe you should go home and rest. If you want I’d call Myungsoo to help you” Sungjong offered.

 

“ I’m fine. You can leave”

 

“ actually, I wanted to asked you something” Sungjong took a deep breathe. Maybe Sungyeol could give him the answers that the two brothers have been hiding.

 

“ if you want to know about Myungsoo go talk to his doctors. The longer he’s out here the worse he will get”

 

“ I know you’re friends with Myungsoo’s older brother and I thought you would knew something about the two of them.”

 

Sungyeol paused with a smirk on his face took another sip of his beer, “ you don’t know anything about the situation which is probably the best thing that could happen to you.”

 

“ I already know, about the accident and how it keeps haunting Myungsoo but there are things I don’t understand.” Sungjong explained but Sungyeol stood up and began to leave. “ I want to help”  

 

“ You have nothing to do with this. Myungsoo was only using you, I suggest you step back now.” Sungyeol was indifferent.

 

Before Sungjong could even reply the older guy took a turn and disappeared from his sight. The younger boy could only sigh to himself .

 

“ Hey, you okay?” Myungsoo popped out on the side of Sungjong as he was working on his project. He didn’t noticed the older boy coming back into the studio as he was busy staring at the screen in front of him, lost in his thoughts.

 

“ Sheesh, don’t scare me like that”

 

“ I’ve been calling you quite a few times now, what’s wrong?”

 

“ Nothing, I was just …thinking” Sungjong made a thrift smile for a reply.

 

“ Well, why don’t you take a break. I bought lunch on the way”

 

“huh? It’s lunchtime already? The younger boy asked, surprised.

 

“ yeah, come on. I’ll help out after lunch”

 

Myungsoo stole a few worried glances at his partner. Sungjong had been awfully quiet during lunch he can’t even get a proper response out of the younger boy. After eating the latter went back straight to his work.

 

He looked tired today too. The older boy thought to himself, sometimes Sungjong would looked at me as though he wanted to say something but I can’t sure if I wanted to hear it. What if … no. I don’t want to.

 

“ Yah Kim Myungsoo, yah listening? Quit spacing out if you want to go early” Sungjong slightly hit his friend on the head with a magazine he rolled out.

 

“ Yes boss?”

 

“ I need you to get these at the library, I’ve maxed out the number of books I could borrow but you still can.” Sungjong explained, he badly needed the books for reference to help use he right material for his design but he still had books he’s using.    

 

“ Then we can go home afterwards? Let’s stop by the grocer on our way home” Myungsoo looked enthusiastic.

 

“ If you get the books now we could. So hurry up, I’ll have to bring them back home for reference later.”

 

“ if you say so boss.”

 

Sungjong made a great sigh of relief when he was finally alone. He can finally focused on his work, he had been sitting on his chair working but his consciousness had been staring at his friend all this time he almost wished he could take out his heart and throw it away along with his brain. Is the brain supposed to be more logical than the heart? Then why the hell are both of them want the same thing?

Putting aside all his worries,the latter worked on his project. He had no definite plan about it but at least he knew what he wanted to do.

.....................................................................................................................IDeviant............................................................................................................. 

how long was I out? 3 weeks? it's been awhile guys and I'm really sorry for the wait. There has been a lot of things going on lately but rest assured SEVEN DAYS diud not left my mind, ( it's been haunting me whenever I go to sleep! and right now I'm like a walking zombie) 

 

Again *bows down to the floor kneeling 

I apologize for making you guys wait.