More Mishaps

Like the Lotus

The day of the exam loomed over Jan Di like a dark cloud. She felt much more confident after Ji Hoo's help and a last few cram sessions, but she was still nervous. This was the first thing she'd cared about since swimming, and she couldn't bear the thought of flunking out. Medical school was notorious for being unforgiving.

Jan Di headed to class. Ji Hoo had offered to pick her up, but she decided to leave early and walk, to clear her mind and relax a little before class. She arrived 10 mins early. Ji Hoo was not there yet. She took her usual spot, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. She prepared her materials. Ji Hoo arrived about 5 minutes later, as other students trickled in.

He strode in wearing his white slacks and a striped sweatshirt. He looked calm and collected as usual. She breathed a sigh of relief to see him walk in, which meant that Grandfather was doing OK for the time being. He gave her a warm smile, which she returned. "Good morning." He folded his hands and looked up front in preparation for the test.

"Good morning." Jan Di whispered back.

The professor gave brief instructions and handed out the exams. Ji Hoo and Jan Di whispered good luck to each other and began the exam. Jan Di worked through the exam diligently, finding it challenging but not unexpected. She felt relieved to discover that she knew more than she thought. Ji Hoo finished the exam before Jan Di and waited outside for her. He dozed against the wall while he waited. Jan Di finished shortly after. She was glad to not be the last to finish, but she felt secure enough about taking her time and going back to check answers.

She handed in the exam, relatively confident, and headed out the door. Ji Hoo was still leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. Jan Di smiled and poked him lightly on the arm. He opened his eyes and smiled. "Hey."

"Hey," she replied.

"How do you think you did?" He asked.

"OK, I think, and you?"

"OK, too."

The results would be announced in two days. They walked together and decided to grab some lunch.


The next two days seemed interminable waiting for the results. This felt like her first trial by fire to determine whether or not she could hack it in medical school. She knew there would be many more, but passing this exam would give her a confidence boost. Jan Di slowly walked toward the bulletin board which held the exam scores. She felt as though she was walking in slow motion and the exam scores were at the end of a long, dark tunnel. She moved closer and closer to the board. She waited for two other students to move aside and walked up to the list. She held her breath as she scanned for her name. 85%! Yes, I passed! She held her hands up in the air in jubilation.

"Congratulations." A voice from behind chimed in.

Jan Di turned to see Ji Hoo standing there. He had silently arrived after her. "Sunbae! I passed!"

"I knew you would." He walked up to the board to check his own score. "Me too, it seems." He smiled.

Jan Di let out a girlish shriek and embraced him around the neck. He was caught off-guard for a moment, but then wrapped his arms around her in response. "Thank you, Sunbae!" she exclaimed before breaking the hug. She was beaming with joy.

He smiled, enjoying her happiness over the test results as much as passing himself. Ji Hoo shoved his hands into his pockets. They decided to grab coffee and walked together to "their spot." They continued to meet up in the same balcony where Jan Di had first stirred him from sleep.

Jan Di exhaled deeply, resting her back against the balcony. "Oh, you have no idea how much I was dreading this, Sunbae…"

He grinned at her. "I'm really happy for you. You must be so relieved."

"Mm." She nodded. "I know it's just one exam, but passing it made me feel like I really belong here, like I can do it, you know?"

He nodded. "You can do it. You're the Wonder Girl after all."

She laughed. "Well, I had my doubts."

"I'm a little nervous about studying the cadaver next." She tried her best not to cringe. "I really hope I can get past feeling weird about it."

"I've done it. And yeah, it's weird at first, but you will get past it. It's a good learning experience."

"Yeah…I suppose it'll be OK…"

"But one thing at a time, right?" Ji Hoo rationally pointed out.

Jan Di nodded.

"We should celebrate passing the exam," he continued, knowing he could be treading dangerous waters.

"Definitely!" Jan Di exclaimed, still too excited to ponder what Ji Hoo had meant by celebrate.

"How about this weekend?" He asked.

"Oh, well I'd love to, but I promised Ga Eul I'd hang out with her this weekend. I haven't been spending enough time with her lately." She turned the cup within her hands.

"Oh, that's understandable," he said, a bit disappointed.

"But rain check, definitely."

He nodded. "So, what do you and Ga Eul have planned?" He took a sip of his coffee.

"Well, she actually wants to go to a club Saturday night, which was surprising…"

Ji Hoo wasn't thrilled by the idea of Jan Di going to a club, but it was not his place to comment on it, so he simply nodded along.

"Hye Jung is going to be going with us, too. I guess it's sort of a girl's night out."

Ji Hoo smiled and refrained from asking any further questions. They casually chatted more before parting ways for the day.


That night, Jan Di studied in her room after talking with her family. She felt herself drifting. She was stirred by the doorbell ringing. "I got it!" Hye Jung called from the next room.

Jan Di heard Hye Jung from the next room. "Oh, it's you. Jan Di!"

She yawned and stretched as she walked to the living room. Ji Hoo was at the door.

"Sunbae. What are you doing here?"

"Well, I fixed your bike, and I wanted to get it back to you so you wouldn't be walking everywhere."

She stared at him wide-eyed. "I didn't even know you had it! Did you steal my bike so that you could fix it?" She was amazed that she could fail to notice her bike had been missing.

He laughed. "Borrowed. And yes."

She smiled at him.

"That was so thoughtful," Hye Jung commented, grinning.

"Jan Di, could I talk to you in private for a moment?"

"Sure. I'll be right back, Hye Jung."

Jan Di walked with Ji Hoo in the hall. "When did you have time to fix my bike?"

"I just had a little time the past couple of days, so I messed around with it."

"Oh. Thank you so much, Sunbae." She smiled. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Well, I really just wanted to give you something."

"Give me something? But you already fixed my bike, that's plenty!"

He pulled a small box out of his coat pocket and handed it to her. "What's this?"

"It's just a little congratulations for passing the exam."

"Sunbae…" She looked at him tenderly then opened the box. It was a small gold bracelet.

"Sunbae…you shouldn't have done this…"

"It's no big deal," he replied, self-consciously. "Here…" He took the bracelet and unclasped it. He wrapped it around her small wrist and clasped it for her.

She looked down at it.

"Do you like it?" He asked, concerned that he'd made a terrible error in judgment in buying such a gift for a girl who he was not dating.

"It's beautiful, Sunbae..." She felt a bit awkward receiving the gift. It felt much like a gift a boyfriend would give. Yet, she appreciated the sentiment behind it. She felt that she should refuse it politely and tell him that it was too much, but she feared hurting Ji Hoo's feelings.

Sensing this, he downplayed the whole thing. "It's just a congratulations and a little token of friendship. No big deal. You don't need to wear it or anything."

"No, I will. I love it. Thank you, Sunbae." She looked down awkwardly.

He released a sigh of relief. "Good. You're welcome. Well, I should go, it's late." He walked Jan Di back to her door.

Jan Di opened the door to find Hye Jung on the other side. She bowed and bid goodnight to Ji Hoo. Hye Jung waved energetically from behind Jan Di. Ji Hoo gave a quick wave and said good night to the two.

After he'd left, Hye Jung looked at Jan Di's wrist. "Wow, that's beautiful. He's really sweet, isn't he?"

Jan Di looked at the bracelet and smiled. She nodded.

Hye Jung studied Jan Di for a moment. "I think I know why he's not interested in dating anyone now."

Jan Di looked up at Hye Jung. "Huh?"

"Because he's interested in you, Jan Di, right?"

Jan Di was speechless for a moment. "It's…not like that, Hye Jung," she weakly argued.

Hye Jung nodded. "It's OK, I understand."

Hye Jung looked a little hurt. "We're just friends, Hye Jung, really."

Hye Jung nodded.

"I'm sorry, Hye Jung." Jan Di replied, eyes downcast.

"It's OK, Jan Di!" She replied with a smile.


Saturday evening came about quickly for Jan Di. The days and weeks had been flying by lately. Jan Di and Ga Eul had the evening off and were at Ga Eul's with Hye Jung preparing to go out. Jan Di had been shocked when Ga Eul suggested a club, but she felt she owed her friend a night out after neglecting her so much lately. Hye Jung had overheard and been excited by the idea, so the girls had invited her along.

Ga Eul and Hye Jung crowded over each other, doing each other's hair and makeup. Jan Di sat back and watched. She was perfectly content being left out of all the fuss, but her two friends were not going to allow such a thing. After they finished prepping themselves, they started on her. They went about their primping, while going on and on about what would look good on her. They decided to curl her hair, which was beginning to grow out and was now nearly down to her shoulders. Ga Eul took out her compact and began to put makeup on Jan Di, while Hye Jung curled her hair.

"Isn't this a little much you guys?" Jan Di spoke up.

"No way, you look beautiful, Jan Di!" Ga Eul squealed. Hye Jung echoed the sentiment.

"But why do I need to get so made up?"

"Because most girls like to dress up and look really nice once in a while." Ga Eul teased.

Jan Di decided it best to surrender to their efforts. The girls picked out an outfit for her. After finishing treating her like their own personal Barbie doll, they all left for the club. They decided to walk.

The girls arrived at the club and walked in. The place was jammed with people, pop music loudly booming in the background. Jan Di wasn't fond of the club scene, considering her last experience at one, and had very reluctantly agreed. The girls found a table and sat down, yelling to each other over the music and taking in the scene.

"Do you guys want something to drink? I'm going to head to the bar." Hye Jung shouted over the music.

Ga Eul ordered a cocktail. "Just water for me." Jan Di replied.

Jan Di and Ga Eul talked while Hye Jung went to the bar. "So, how's it going with Yi Jung, Ga Eul?"

"Good. I really miss him, but I'm trying not to show it too much," she replied, smiling shyly and thinking of him.

Jan Di smiled.

"We've been video chatting a lot. That helps a little, being able to see his face."

Jan Di thought that she should do that with Joon Pyo.


Woo Bin leaned against the bar at the club, talking with a couple of girls. He excused himself and headed outside and pulled out his cell phone.

"Yo man, what are you doing right now?"

...

"Yeah? Come down to the club and hang with me, man…I'm bored."

Woo Bin laughed in response to the other party. "Yea, but I don't feel like going home. I haven't seen you in forever, man, come down. … "The one I always go to. Yea. Ok, good, I'll see ya, my brother."

Woo Bin hung up his phone and head back in.

Ji Hoo was annoyed that he'd been roped into meeting Woo Bin at the club. He wasn't fond of the club scene, but he hadn't seen Woo Bin in a while, and he knew he must be a little bit lonely with Yi Jung being in Sweden. Not to mention, he sounded on his way to becoming drunk. He decided to take the car tonight, just in case he needed to drive Woo Bin home after a bit too much alcohol. He didn't relish the thought of Woo Bin riding on his bike with him.

Ji Hoo arrived shortly thereafter and moved across the club. He searched the room for Woo Bin and noticed him by bar. He made his way over.

"Yo, man, you came!" Woo Bin held a hand out and the two clasped hands for a brief "cool guy" handshake.

"How've you been?" Ji Hoo asked casually, as he leaned lightly against the bar. He wondered if this was the same club Jan Di had been going to tonight. He absent-mindedly scanned the room.

"Good, ya know, just bored and missing my bros."

Ji Hoo grinned. He could tell Woo Bin had already had a few.

"What about you? Still doing the med school thing, huh?"

"Yea."

"How's that going?"

"So far so good."

"How's your Grandpa?"

"He's not doing the best. He's probably going to need an operation, but it's risky."

"That , man."

"Yea."

"Anything I can do?"

"No, it's ok. Thanks."

Woo Bin put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder.

"And…how's little Geum Jan Di?"

Ji Hoo cleared his throat and continued to gaze out across the room. "She's good."

Woo Bin nodded. "You two still close?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yea. We're friends."

"Think she and Joon Pyo will really tie the knot one of these days?"

Ji Hoo's jaw tightened a bit. "Probably," he responded, in an irked manner.

Woo Bin patted Ji Hoo on the back. "How you doing with that, man?"

Ji Hoo was really becoming uncomfortable with the line of questioning. He doubted Woo Bin would even remember their conversation in the morning. Still, it was not something he enjoyed talking about. "I'm fine," he replied shortly. "So, business going well?"

"Same as always, you know."

Ji Hoo noticed something across the room and gave Woo Bin a haphazard 'excuse me' and headed across the dance floor.


Ga Eul and Hye Jung were out on the dancing floor. Jan Di was not much of a dancer, so she was watching from the sidelines. She sat at the small corner table and sipped her water.

A man approached her table, dressed in black, his dark hair slicked back. "Hey, pretty lady. Why are you sitting over here alone?"

Jan Di looked at him, surprised. "Oh, I'm with friends, but they're dancing." Jan Di shot a glance to Ga Eul and Hye Jung, who were still enjoying themselves on the dance floor.

"Why aren't you dancing?" the stranger asked.

"I'm not much of a dancer." She nervously took a gulp of her water.

"I'm sure that's not true. Would you like to dance?"

"No, thank you."

The man moved closer to her. Jan Di shrunk back.

"Come on, just one dance." The stranger put a hand on her arm. She quickly retracted it.

"No, thank you." She said, more firmly.

"Come on…" He grabbed Jan di by the arm and she slapped him with her other.

"Oh, a feisty one, eh?" He grabbed both her arms and pulled her toward him. "I like feisty girls."

"Leave me alone!"

The stranger laughed and leaned in closer, pushing her against the wall. Jan Di struggled but no one around seemed to take notice over the music and dancing. The man was strong, and she was suddenly feeling very weak in comparison.

"Leave her alone." Came an angry voice from behind the man.

The man turned to look, still holding Jan Di by one arm.

Jan Di stared, astonished to see Ji Hoo standing there. He was staring at the man with an infuriated look upon his face.

"Get lost," the man snarled. Jan Di struggled in his grasp.

"Get your hands off her!" Ji Hoo demanded more forcibly this time.

Ji Hoo felt himself quickly losing his cool. Seeing Jan Di's panicked expression was sending him over the edge. "Last chance," Ji Hoo growled.

The man pushed Jan Di aside carelessly. This was enough to cause Ji Hoo to fully lose control. He grabbed the man forcibly by the collar with both hands. "Apologize to her!" He demanded.

The man struggled, "OK, OK…"

Ji Hoo glared before reluctantly releasing him. "Apologize." He repeated.

The man had other plans. He took a swing at Ji Hoo. Jan Di gasped, as Ji Hoo anticipated the punch and moved to the side. Ji Hoo countered with a swift punch to the face, knocking the man to his knees. A few gasps were heard from the crowd.

"Apologize!" He yelled this time. Jan Di had never seen Ji Hoo so furious.

The man touched his bleeding lip. "OK, OK, I'm sorry," He mumbled, as he stood and rushed off the other direction.

Ji Hoo watched after him for a moment, his blood still boiling. He looked back at a slightly stunned Jan Di. His expression softened and he exhaled sharply. "Are you OK?" He moved closer to Jan Di. She nodded, hugging her arms to her chest, and still looking much like a deer caught in headlights.

He looked at her tenderly and put his hand on her arm, it lightly for moment.

Ga Eul and Hye Jung rushed over to Jan Di's side. They looked at Ji Hoo, then Jan Di.

"Jan Di, are you OK?" Ga Eul asked in a troubled voice.

"I'm fine." She stared at Ji Hoo a bit longer then looked to her friend.

Ga Eul hugged Jan Di. "Sorry we left you alone. Who was that jerk?"

"I don't know, just some guy that came over."

Ga Eul turned to Ji Hoo. "Thank you, Ji Hoo Sunbae."

He nodded.

"That was amazing!" Hye Jung exclaimed. Ji Hoo didn't react.

Woo Bin made his way over to the group. "Everything alright here?"

"Yea," Ji Hoo replied. "But I think Jan Di's a bit shaken up. I'm going to take her. Can you take these girls home when you're fully sober?"

"Sure, no problem..."

Hye Jung began to protest that she and Jan Di lived together, but Ji Hoo had already taken Jan Di by the arm and walked off.

Ji Hoo led Jan Di toward the exit of the club. He took off his jacket and put it around her shoulders.

"Sunbae, thank you, but I'm OK," She replied shakily.

"You're not. I saw that idiot put something in your drink while you weren't looking."

"Huh?" She wondered why she felt a little dizzy. Her legs felt weak, too, and she leaned unconsciously into Ji Hoo.

He supported her. "You alright?"

"Yea," she responded drowsily, slumping further into him.

Ji Hoo could tell she was close to passing out. He picked her up and carried her in his arms to his car. He put her in the passenger seat and strapped her in. Her head began to slump down to her chest. He took her head in his hands delicately and propped her head against the headrest. Ji Hoo got into the driver's side and took a deep breath before pulling out. He needed a moment to calm himself. He still felt his heart beating rapidly and adrenaline coursing through him. He wasn't sure how he'd maintained what restraint he had. He'd wanted to kill the guy.

Ji Hoo drove, while Jan Di slumped over slightly. He intermittently shot concerned glances at her. "I can't believe this happened to me again," she mumbled before drifting into unconsciousness. Ji Hoo clutched the wheel tighter, clenched his jaw, and drove her to his house.


Ji Hoo pulled up to his house and got Jan Di out of the car. She mumbled something incoherent as he picked her up and carried her in. He took her to his room and laid her gently in his bed. He went to get her a glass of water and checked in on Grandfather, who was sleeping soundly, before returning to her side.

He sat on the edge of the bed and propped her up. "Jan Di, drink this." She mumbled something and he held the glass to her lips as he cradled her head. Her eyes remained closed but she instinctually swallowed. He laid her down once more and tucked her in. He remained by her side, watching her sleep. He still felt concerned, though he knew she would be OK. He felt his anger over her being taken advantage of subside and give way to affection, as he watched her sleep. Despite the state she was in, she looked so peaceful lying there, her chest rising slowly up and down. He wanted so much to touch her.

He'd been so preoccupied with protecting her and later diffusing the remnants of his anger that he'd only just realized how beautiful she looked tonight. He could see that she'd worn makeup and done her hair, but it wasn't even that. Most of the makeup was rubbed off and her hair was now disheveled, but she remained dazzling. She'd always made a point to criticize herself for not being smart, pretty, or coming from a prominent family. He'd always disagreed. Though she wasn't from a wealthy family, he'd noticed her from the beginning. He'd always thought she was bold, smart, and completely adorable. He wasn't sure why he'd never really told her that. Oh, he'd tried to compliment her once or twice, which usually didn't land, but he held back. He supposed it was because he didn't feel it was his place.

He looked down at her angelic face, the face of the one girl he loved in this world. He delicately put a finger to her lips, praying she didn't awake. She stirred ever so slightly but remained asleep. He lightly ran his finger across her lips. The feel of her kiss was burned into his brain, though it seemed such a distant memory now. He yearned to feel that again, but he would wait for it to be reciprocated, if it ever would be. This seemed merely a dream.

Looking downward, he deliberated his actions at the club. Had he gone overboard? It wasn't like him to lose his temper so completely and make a big scene in a public place. He'd always avoided that. That and human interaction, entirely. But when it came to Jan Di, he surprised himself with what he was capable of, the lengths he would go for her. He tried to convince himself that he was simply protecting his best friend's girl from some scumbag, but he knew that was a lie. He was protecting her for himself. And he couldn't deny that he lost it when he saw that low-life touch her.

It was her and Grandfather who he loved most in this world. They made his life happy and complete. And he felt as though he was slowly losing both. He covered his face with his hands and sighed heavily, wondering what he'd done to deserve such constant torture. Nothing? Perhaps that was the answer. He'd done absolutely nothing to rid himself of his torment.

He gazed upon her once more. Clutching tightly to the bed, he leaned down slowly and pressed his lips to her cheek. He then rose and pulled up a chair. He crossed his arms and closed his eyes as he sat next to her.

Unbeknownst to him, Grandfather walked by just then and peeked his head in. He smiled to himself and went back to his room.


Jan Di woke, a bit disoriented and unsure of where she was. She looked around the room and recognized soon after. She turned to see Ji Hoo fast asleep in a chair next to the bed. She smiled softly and then immediately emitted a low "Ow" upon realizing she had a terrible headache. She soon recalled the predicament she'd gotten into last night. It was fuzzy, but she remembered the man becoming forceful with her and Ji Hoo showing up. She wasn't really sure what happened after. Apparently Ji Hoo had taken her to his place. She hoped that Ga Eul and Hye Jung had gotten home alright.

Ji Hoo stirred and looked over at her. "Good morning," he said, as if turning and whispering good morning to her was commonplace.

"Good morning." She mumbled, rubbing her head.

"Are you OK?" he asked.

"Eh, yes. Just a headache."

He looked at her sympathetically. He handed her the glass of water. "I'll bring you some aspirin and make some breakfast."

"Sunbae," she called to him. He turned in the doorway.

"Thank you, for everything…you rescued me again."

"I suppose I am your bodyguard now, too."

She smiled weakly with downcast eyes. She felt like a complete burden. How had she so completely failed at defending herself?

He gave her a reassuring look. "Don't worry. But will you do me a favor?"

"What is it?"

"Please be more careful."

She opened to speak, but she was unsure of how to respond. She sighed and nodded.

"I will. Don't worry, I'm never going to a club again, no matter how much they beg me." Ji Hoo was relieved by her statement. He was aware of the previous incident at a club that Joon Pyo had told him about. Despite how bad it appeared, he never liked how mistrustful Joon Pyo had been of her.

"Good. Just relax, I'll be back."