Soulmates Part II

Like the Lotus

Just like the lotus, we too have the ability to rise from the mud, bloom out of the darkness, and radiate into the world – Unknown

Three Weeks Earlier…

Joon Pyo stormed into the Goo Mansion and barged into his mother's office. She was seated at her desk going through a series of documents.

"What the hell did you think you were doing kidnapping Jan Di and bringing her here?" Joon Pyo demanded.

Madam Kang looked up icily. "She's no longer here," she said, as if that explained everything, and then went back to the document she'd been perusing.

"How dare you!" he shouted.

"How dare I? I thought it would make you happy. You love the girl don't you?"

Joon Pyo tightened his mouth, "You had no right…and why would you want her here anyway?"

"It was your father's wish."

"What?"

"Yes, he's fond of the girl. So, I decided to allow it."

Joon Pyo scoffed. "You decided to allow it?" Now, you decide to allow it!

Joon Hui had noticed Joon Pyo come in and lingered outside the door.

"Yes. I would have thought you would be pleased."

"Why in hell would I be pleased?"

"I was giving you what you wanted, wasn't I?"

"I don't want to be in a marriage through force! You claim you're doing this for me? Well, I'm tired of you trying to control my life…I've built this company up, brought in numerous clientele, created a very successful merger, and made this company an international entity, and you still dare to try to control me? Stay out of my life…," he seethed.

"I don't know why you're taking your anger out on me. I know you're having problems with the girl…I was trying to ensure that you would have what you wanted and teach that girl a lesson for humiliating you!" Madam Kang tossed down the stack of papers she was holding.

"Well, don't! Don't interfere, stay out of it! You were the one who humiliated me, not her!" Joon Pyo prepared to storm off. He paused in the doorway, suddenly growing eerily calm. "...And another thing…you can't force love… You can't buy it or manipulate it either! It just has to be!" Joon Pyo paused.

"…She and I are no longer together, so you won't have anything to do with her. And when I am in a relationship again, of my own choosing, you won't interfere in that either! Is that clear?"

Madam Kang stared back at her son and pursed her lips. Joon Pyo stormed out. Madam Kang sighed and rubbed her head lightly. Joon Pyo slammed the door and nearly collided with Joon Hui. He glanced to her briefly and then resolutely continued past her. Joon Hui jogged along after to check on her brother.


Present…

Jan Di and Ji Hoo stared at one another, now a few feet away, surrounded by fields of barley as far as the eye could see.

"How have you been?" he asked awkwardly, as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his faded jeans that were stained with dirt from working. It seemed like such a stupid question, but he needed something to fill the silence and relieve the tension of their standoff.

"How have I been?" she squinted at him, slightly teary-eyed. How can he be so casual? Terrible!

"Why did you run away?" she demanded instead, deciding to get straight to the point.

"Run away?"

"Yes! Why did you run away without telling me where you were going or when you'd be back?"

"Well, I, uh…" he stammered, knowing he was in big trouble.

"Did you really want to get away from me so badly?"

"Of course not!" he gaped at how she could possibly suggest such a ridiculous notion. Though he couldn't blame her. "I just…needed some time to think…I thought both of us could use a little time apart...to think, I guess…"

"I didn't want time apart…I didn't need to think…"

"Jan Di-yah…I just thought…"

"No, no excuses! If something was bothering you, you should have talked to me about it. And even if you needed time, you should have just told me! Do you know how worried I was, huh?" Her words had temporarily incapacitated him as a viper's venom.

"Why do you always have to handle things on your own? You're not alone anymore…" her voice trailed off. She looked up at him with eyes that were deep pools of misery.

His lips parted, and he continued to stare at her. He'd gotten so used to being alone, dealing with things alone, being miserable alone… It was just beginning to dawn on him that he truly was no longer alone…

Ji Hoo sighed. "You're right. I should have told you, but I thought that if I tried to say it to your face that I wouldn't be able to go through with it…"

She nodded sadly. "I guess you did try to talk to me about it… So, it's true that you want to just be friends…" she stumbled through her words shakily, "…so, were you just trying to avoid me so it wouldn't be awkward?"

"No! I, ahhh!" He turned from her and covered his face with his hands.

"I was punishing myself, I guess…," he finally said. "And there's no greater punishment for me than being away from you…"

She tightened . "Punishing yourself for what?"

"For everything. For stealing you away, for breaking my best friend's heart, for being weak, for failing to protect you… I planned to just take some time to think, and then I heard about this and decided to come. I thought maybe doing something good could erase the bad I've done. I thought I could somehow make up for it, and maybe then I could allow myself to just be…happy… I guess that's pretty selfish, isn't it?"

Jan Di sighed. She felt herself shiver, and she hugged herself. "No, it's not. I guess I can understand all that, but you didn't need to punish yourself. And you weren't just punishing yourself…you were punishing me, too."

"Jan Di-yah…" he replied, overtaken by emotion.

She was still angry but also relieved to be standing before him now. Unable to take it any longer, she threw her arms around his neck, as if he was a soldier home from war. The force of her hug knocked Ji Hoo back, and he stiffened slightly.

"Jan Di-yah…I'm dirty…," he mumbled, recalling his clothes.

"I don't care!" She pressed into him further until they were practically one entity.

He slowly wrapped his arms around her and held her tighter than he thought he ever had.

"I missed you," she whispered, full of emotion.

He closed his eyes and leaned into her, taking her in completely. "I missed you, too…," he rested his chin on her shoulder.

She pulled back after a moment, and he held her shoulders. Feeling the need to ease the intensity of the emotional moment, she said, "I'm still mad at you, though! You wanna die? Don't ever do that again!" she placed her hand upon his chest and pushed him.

He smiled and caught her hand. His expression grew serious. "Mianhae…" he whispered, as he fixed her hand against his chest. "Mianhae, Jan Di-yah, I never will again…," he whispered again, even softer this time. He held her hand there and caressed it. Jan Di looked down. She felt her frozen heart slowly thawing, but she wasn't quite ready to forgive him yet.

"I better get back to the group…," she said, "…they're probably wondering about me. And I really did come here for a purpose…"

"Yes," he nodded.

She pulled her hand free and began to walk off.


"I'll go with you! I need to check in, anyway," he exclaimed and caught up to her. He walked along beside her, tossing cautious glances to her along the way. She was staring straight ahead and not looking at him, as if walking required her full concentration.

Jan Di headed resolutely toward the check-in point but soon realized she had no idea where it was. She stopped and looked one way and then the other. The warm breeze blew through her hair, gently pushing it across her face. She held up a hand to block the blazing sun and scanned for any sign of the group.

Ji Hoo stood beside her with his hands in his pockets and looked to her. "Do you not know where you're going?" he grinned.

"Of course I do!" she shot back and tossed a coin in her head to pick a direction. She tightened and nodded to herself, and then she began to walk down the path to the right. He grabbed her by both arms and pulled her back into his chest for a moment. Their bodies pressed against each other and his forehead met her hair. "It's this way," he whispered against her ear, his lips grazing it. She felt herself shudder lightly but quickly shook it off. He pointed her body in the right direction. Without a word, she broke free and took off in that direction.

Ji Hoo smiled, shook his head, and followed along. As they walked along, Jan Di a few strides ahead, the voice of a young girl came from nowhere, "Oppa!" Then, a small girl, about 6 years old, popped up from the barley field, like a gopher from its hole.

Jan Di turned in time to see the girl collide with Ji Hoo and wrap her arms around his waist. Jan Di looked back for a moment before approaching.

"Eun-Young," he greeted, putting an arm around her back, "How are you?"

Eun-Young squeezed him tighter. She had dark brown hair pulled back into a short ponytail and large brown eyes. She wore shorts and a t-shirt with a bunny on it. Ji Hoo looked to Jan Di, who was standing before them now and looking on curiously. Eun-Young looked up at Jan Di, blinking.

"Eun-Young, this is my friend Geum Jan Di," Ji Hoo said. "Jan Di, Eun-Young lives here on the island with her mother and older sister."

Eun-Young reluctantly released her grip on Ji Hoo and took a few cautious steps toward Jan Di. Jan Di squatted down before her.

"Hello, Eun-Young," Jan Di said with a smile.

Eun-Young looked down, shyly, and kicked at the dirt. "Can I call you Unnie?"

"Yes, of course you can. It's nice to meet you," Jan Di said and patted the girl on the head. Eun-Young smiled and looked down.

Jan Di stood. She and Ji Hoo locked eyes briefly before she pursed her lips and turned again. Eun-Young looked curiously between Jan Di and Ji Hoo.

Jan Di walked ahead. Ji Hoo watched after Jan Di, remorseful. He sighed and dragged his feet lightly. Eun-Young looked up at Ji Hoo. She slipped her small hand into his, and they followed Jan Di.

Jan Di walked ahead, feeling confused and preoccupied. Ji Hoo seems pretty comfortable here… He even seems to know the locals. I wonder how long he was planning to stay without telling me… Thinking about it was only making her angrier…

The three walked along a dirt path with stone-lined walls, as the barley danced in the gentle wind. Eun-Young stopped and tugged at Ji Hoo's sleeve. Ji Hoo looked down and smiled at Eun Young.

"Oppa?"

"Yes, Eun-Young?"

"Does Oppa like Unnie?" she looked to Jan Di, who was walking slowly but steadily a dozen feet or so ahead of them.

Ji smiled affectionately and squatted down next to her. "Yes, very much, Eun-Young."

Eun-Young poked out her cheeks and looked up at him. "Is Unnie…mad at Oppa?" she asked curiously.

Ji Hoo sighed. "You're so smart, Eun-Young. Yes, I'm afraid that Unnie is a little bit angry with Oppa."

"Why?" she looked up at him with her big brown eyes, as if she could not possibly fathom such a thing.

"Well," Ji Hoo pursed his lips and looked out across the field, pondering how best to explain. "Oppa behaved very badly…and he made Unnie sad."

Eun-Young stared down at the handmade sandals her mother had made.

"What do you think Oppa should do?" he asked.

A tiny light bulb went off in Eun-Young's head, and she rushed into the field. He watched her stoop down and disappear beneath a blanket of flowers. A moment later she popped up. She ran back to him carrying a handful of yellow canola flowers with dirt still hanging from the roots.

"Oppa should just say he is sorry and give her these!" Eun-Young held up the flowers.

The logic of children, so simple, yet so flawless… Ji Hoo smiled and patted her head. He took the flowers. "That's perfect. Thank you, Eun-Young."

Jan Di glanced back over her shoulder, wondering why she hadn't heard their footsteps for awhile. She stopped and noticed they hung back but were once again walking toward her. She decided to wait for them this time.

Ji Hoo and Eun-Young caught up with her. Ji Hoo was holding Eun-Young's hand and had the other hand behind his back. He stopped before her and released Eun-Young's hand. She looked at him quizzically, and he smiled. He pulled the hand from behind his back and presented the handpicked floral arrangement.

He's trying to be cute now? Oh, you're not getting off the hook so easily!

She gave him an indifferent look. His lips moved and he mouthed Sorry, as he continued to stare at her, holding the flowers. She softened. She smiled faintly and shook her head at him. Then, she haughtily took the flowers and turned from him. Ji Hoo caught her by the shoulder before she could get away. He put his arm around her. Eun-Young beamed up at Jan Di and then at Ji Hoo. He took Eun-Young's hand with his other, and the three of them walked along together.


Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Eun-Young arrived at the volunteer office. Ji Hoo sent off Eun-Young and went inside with Jan Di.

"Where were you?" the coordinator of the medical student volunteers asked of Jan Di, rather annoyed.

"Oh, I umm," Jan Di stammered.

"She was with me. I gave her a job," Ji Hoo chimed in.

"Ah, Yoon Ji Hoo, there you are," the project leader said, turning to Ji Hoo and smiling.

Ji Hoo came forward and engaged in conversation with the project leader. The other volunteers crowded around and joined in the conversation, as they discussed what was left to be done and what progress had been made.

Of course he's already won the entire group over, while I'm getting into trouble…, Jan Di thought.

Jan Di stood back with her hands behind her back, watching the others. Ji Hoo glanced to her and the corners of his mouth curved upward. He approached her and put an arm around her. He led her over to the group. He held both of her arms and presented her before the group like a trophy.

"This is Ms. Geum Jan Di," he introduced her to those who did not yet know her. "She is a good friend of mine and a very hard worker, so treat her well!"

Jan Di cracked a smile and bowed her head to the group. They welcomed her.


It didn't take long for the group to realize that Ji Hoo's words had been true. Jan Di worked just as hard or harder than anyone, including the men. There was still so much to be done, even though the island was slowly looking better.

Later that morning, Jan Di, Ji Hoo, the medical students, and a few volunteer doctors from Shinwha University Hospital helped out in the small one-room clinic on the island. The island only had one major medical facility, so the locals appreciated having a few more doctors and medical student volunteers to help out with the injuries and routine medical care. An older doctor supervised Jan Di and Ji Hoo while they did checkups on some of the local children. They wore the lab coats they'd recently earned. Ji Hoo greeted his next patient, a 5 year old girl with braids named Sae Byul, while Jan Di did paperwork with her mother.

Ji Hoo kneeled down. "What seems to be the matter?" he asked sweetly.

"Doctor Prince, my throat hurts," the girl said, and she wrapped her arms around Ji Hoo's neck. Ji Hoo smiled and embraced her back warmly.

Jan Di smiled affectionately over at the girl. "Doctor Prince?"

"Yes, I'm going to marry Doctor Prince when I grow up," the girl assured, as she hugged him.

Jan Di smiled. Ji Hoo pulled her back and took out a tongue depressor. "We'll get married next time. For now, open your mouth and say ahh," he said.


After a picnic lunch brought by the local women, the men began rebuilding some of the homes that had been damaged. Ji Hoo was helping with this. Jan Di and her group was assisting with some cleanup and sorting of emergency supplies. Several children were playing nearby.

A young boy of about 8 years approached Ji Hoo. He was holding a ball and was followed by a group of the local children, including Eun-Young. "Hyung, will you play with us?" the boy asked. Ji Hoo leaned down with his hands on his hips. "I'm sorry, I have to work, but…" he glanced around for Jan Di and then saw her. He patted the boy on the head, "Follow me, you guys," he said to the group. They all followed after him.

Ji Hoo approached Jan Di. "This is Ms. Geum Jan Di, and she will play with you," Ji Hoo said, with a satisfied smile.

Jan Di looked at Ji Hoo and then at the kids.

"Jan Di, you know Eun-Young. And this is…" Ji Hoo pointed out each child from the village in turn.

Oh, that memory of his… She'd already forgotten most of the names he'd just said.

"Hi, kids!" Jan Di waved at them with both hands in an animated fashion. Ji Hoo smiled.

"OK, have fun," he said, squeezing Jan Di's arm before leaving.

Jan Di smiled and put her hands on her hips. A little girl came up to her.

The girl tugged at her sleeve. "Hi! You're pretty, Unnie!" the girl said.

Jan Di smiled and knelt beside the girl. "Thank you. You're pretty, too. What's your name again?"

"Hye Rim," she said. Jan Di smiled.

"Do you want to play dodge ball?" one of the boys asked.

Jan Di hated that game. She recalled being hit in the face during a game at Shinwha, while she was gawking at Ji Hoo of all things, and getting a nosebleed. Right in front of F4 and most of the school, too. But she decided to play, for the kids.

Ji Hoo and three young men from the village began working on Eun-Young and her family's damaged home. Ji Hoo would toss a glance here and there to where Jan Di was scampering around with the kids. He smiled. One of his fellow carpenters, an 18 year old boy glanced over at Jan Di and the kids, then turned back to Ji Hoo.

"That Jan Di noona, she's kind of a babe…"

"Yea, well keep your eyes in your head… She's taken," Ji Hoo warned.

The guy pointed to Ji Hoo, "Oh, you and…nice!" He grinned at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo smirked and tousled his hair before telling him to get back to work. Since it was a hot day, some of the guys had taken their shirts off. Ji Hoo followed suit. Jan Di noticed this and found herself staring stupidly. Ugh, what's wrong with me?

She didn't have much time to consider that question, though, before hearing, "Look out!" Jan Di felt a jolt to the head, and she was knocked to the ground by the ball.

"Noona, are you OK?" the boy who'd accidentally hit her asked.

Ji Hoo had come running and was now kneeling beside her. The group had gathered around. "Are you OK?" Ji Hoo asked, as he lifted her to a seated position. Jan Di rubbed her head, "Yes, I'm fine," she said. Ji Hoo noticed bleeding and pinched her nose to stop it. He pulled out a handkerchief and held it to her nose. She noticed he was still shirtless and averted her gaze.

"I'm fine. That's not necessary, Sunbae." She took the handkerchief from him though and pressed it to her nose, as she continued to avoid looking directly at him. Ji Hoo looked down at her and smiled. "Am I making you uncomfortable?" he whispered.

She continued to look away, "N-no, not at all."

He chuckled and put his shirt back on that had been tied around his waist. "Is that better?"

She wanted to die of humiliation. Perhaps she would. She moved to get up and he held her arm, steadying her. "I'm fine, go, go…" she shooed him away and walked off. Ji Hoo shook his head and tossed a last glance her way before going back to work. The girls had run to Jan Di to check on her and were now surrounding her.


It had been a very long first day. Jan Di knew hard work well, but this had been a whole other animal. Relief work was exhausting but extremely rewarding. She found herself enjoying helping others and making new friends with the pleasant islanders. Eun-Young continued to hang around Jan Di and had introduced her to her biological unnie. Jan Di had become fast friends with the 15 year old sister of Eun-Young, named Da-Eun. Da-Eun was a thin, pretty thing with a sweet face and beautiful wide eyes. Da-Eun had been anxiously talking about a village boy that she liked and asking Jan Di for advice. Jan Di smiled at her, thinking how she didn't know if she was really qualified to be giving advice on the subject.

That night, Jan Di lay on a mat in Eun-Young and Da-Eun's house. Their mother had taken her in to stay. Ji Hoo was staying at a house a few yards away with the boys. Jan di pulled her blanket up. Eun-Young had fallen asleep curled up next to Jan Di, and Da-Eun lay on the other side, resting her head on her hand. Da-Eun had begun to go on about the boy Ye-Jun that she liked. Jan Di wondered if she should ask Ji Hoo about him since he'd been working closely with the boy.

"Unnie," Da-Eun began, "What do you think I should do? I just like him so much…whenever I see him, my heart starts beating fast, and when he talks to me I feel tongue-tied…he must think I'm so stupid…"

"No, I'm sure he doesn't think that, Da-Eun. I'm sure he gets nervous, too. Maybe you should just tell him honestly how you feel. You're a beautiful and sweet girl, and I've seen him notice you," Jan Di said, with a grin.

"Really?" Da-Eun perked up.

"Yes, really," Jan Di nodded.

Da-Eun tried to hide the huge smile that was forming upon her face. "I think I may be in love with him," she mused and then turned to Jan Di with a wry smile, "I wish he'd look at me the way Ji Hoo Oppa looks at you," she said.

Jan Di gawked at her and felt a slight blush forming. She turned over to face away from Da-Eun. "Oh, Da-Eun, I don't know about that…"

"Ji Hoo Oppa seems to be really in love with you, Unnie," Da-Eun teased.

Jan Di scoffed. "We should get some sleep, Da-Eun…"

Da-Eun grinned and decided to continue on with her torment. "Come on, Unnie, no need to be embarrassed… But everyone sees it…it's so obvious that Ji Hoo Oppa is in love with you…and I think that you're in love with him, too, right?"

Jan Di tugged the covers and pulled them tighter against her, nearly covering her face. "Well, yes…"

Da-Eun squealed. "I knew it! Are you two a couple?"

Jan Di realized she wasn't sure how to answer that. She thought they were, but then he'd run away. He'd explained to her and apologized, but she couldn't help feeling doubt over how strongly he felt. He seemed hesitant to fight for them.

"Well, Da-Eun, it's kind of complicated…"

"Why is it so complicated?"

"It's hard to explain, Da-Eun," Jan Di grew a bit sad. She quickly changed her demeanor. "But, I think that Ye-Jun likes you! Should I ask Oppa to ask him for you?" Jan Di turned and grinned at her.

"Oh! No, don't do that, Unnie!" Da-Eun playfully hit Jan Di's arm. Jan Di smiled at her.

"Let's get some sleep. Goodnight, Da-Eun."

"Goodnight, Unnie."


The next day was busy and flew by. Before Jan Di knew it, evening had come. Jan Di was making dinner with Da-Eun and Eun-Young and Da-Eun's mother. The girls' mother was showing Jan Di how to make abalone rice porridge, a specialty on the island. Due to the hurricane, their supply of abalone had been limited, but they had just enough to make a nice dinner tonight for the family and for the men who'd helped to rebuild their home. They were celebrating putting the finishing touches on the repairs to their home.

Eun-Young's mother called for Eun-Young. "Eun-Young, Eun-Young!" she looked around, "…Where is that girl?" she asked, looking outside. "I told her not to go far."

"I'll go and find her," Jan Di offered.

"Oh, thank you dear!"

Jan Di rushed out and began to comb the island for Eun-Young. She went to all the places she knew Eun-Young liked to go. She noticed a pile of prayer rocks. It seemed taller, so it appeared Eun-Young had been there that day. Jan Di continued to search and call for Eun-Young. She was beginning to get a sinking feeling in her stomach. Jan Di headed down to Jiri Beach and noticed movement. Eun-Young was in the water, flailing and crying out. She was struggling to stay afloat.

"Eun-Young!" Jan Di shouted and rushed into the water and swam to her. Jan Di quickly reached Eun-Young and put an arm around her. She held her up and began to backstroke with one arm toward the shore. It wasn't long before Jan Di felt the familiar ache in her shoulder and found it difficult to continue. Her muscles were cramping and the shoulder was locking up. She felt herself struggling to stay above water. With the remainder of her strength, she pushed Eun-Young higher up, holding her head above water. Jan Di kept moving her arm, but her head began to sink beneath the waves.

Hearing the commotion, Ji Hoo and the men had come running. Ji Hoo got there first and jumped in and swam to them. Another village man quickly followed. Ji Hoo pulled Jan Di and Eun-Young up and wrapped his arm around them. He swam toward the shore with them. Ji Hoo reached land, and the other man took Eun-Young from him. He carried Jan Di out. Ji Hoo glanced to Eun-Young. She began coughing and choking.

Ji Hoo carried Jan Di a few feet and laid her down on the beach. "Jan Di, can you hear me? Wake up!" She wasn't responding. He got down on his knees before her and put his head against her chest. His own heart stopped when he realized she wasn't breathing.

He tilted her head back and began CPR. He pressed his mouth to hers and breathed into her. Then, he began compressions against her chest. "Come on Jan Di, come on, breathe, breathe…" he urged, as he pushed downward. He checked her chest again. It was not moving. "No, no, no, no!"

"Jan Di, don't do this!" he pleaded and smacked the ground. Then he breathed into her once, twice, and began to compress. "Come on, come on, please, please," he urged, panicked. He stared down at her pale blue face with a look of desperation and began the cycle again.

Suddenly, she began sputtering. Ji Hoo closed his eyes tightly and breathed a sigh of relief. "Jan Di, are you OK?" he asked. She lay there like a fish. She blinked up at him and stared blankly. He pulled her swiftly against him. "Oh, Jan Di, Jan Di," he mumbled as he held her. His heart was beating through his chest.

"What were you thinking?" Ji Hoo demanded, still cradling her. She was a ragdoll in his arms. "You're not supposed to swim!"

"I, uh, had to save Eun-Young." Jan Di looked around for her. She noticed the group surrounding her, their expressions a mixture of concern and relief. "Is she OK?"

"She's fine," Ji Hoo said. "…You should have gone for help, though." Jan Di noticed that Eun-Young's mother held her wrapped up in a towel. Eun-Young's mother thanked Jan Di fervently and then carried Eun-Young off toward home.

"There wasn't any time…," Jan Di said matter-of-factly.

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply. "You scared me to death!"

He was still holding her there, his cheek pressed against hers.

"Sunbae…I'm OK… Mianhae…" she rested her head in the crook of his arm. She felt ashamed for the trouble and worry she'd caused him and for making a scene.

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply again and squeezed her once more before reluctantly releasing her. He helped her up. One of the village men tossed him a towel, and he wrapped it around her shoulders and began to dry her. He put his arm around her and walked her toward her room. She changed, and when she came out he was waiting for her.


He sat her down and took her face in his hands. "Are you OK?" She nodded.

"I don't think I can ever leave you alone…," he half-joked, still seeming shaken. "Still getting into trouble after all this time…what am I going to do with you Geum Jan Di?" he asked affectionately, caressing her cheek.

He placed a lingering kiss on her forehead and then a second and then a third. He took her shoulders squarely, and his face was somber. "I don't think you realize what would become of me if I lost you…" Then, he took her hand and placed a kiss on it. "I'm sorry…I'm so sorry…," he mumbled.

"Sunbae…for what?"

"For leaving like that, for what I said, I didn't mean it at all! I'm the biggest idiot ever! I thought I had to fix everything before we could be together… And I didn't know how to, so I…panicked, I guess... Can you ever forgive me?"

She looked at him tenderly. "…I forgive you."

He wrapped his arms around her and she sunk into him.

"Gomawo, Jan Di-yah… I know I don't deserve you, but I need you… I love you so much," he whispered, as he held her.

She smiled against him, "I love you, too."

He took her by the arm and gently pulled her up. He interlaced his fingers with hers, "Let's take a walk," he said.


They walked to a pond. Jan Di noticed that the pond remained beautiful, despite the devastation around it. The top of the pond was sprinkled with pink lotus blossoms.

They sat together on the ground beside the pond. Jan Di admired the lotus and then grew somber. She opened to speak and then closed it. She took a breath and spoke this time. "I talked to Joon Pyo before I came," she said.

Ji Hoo's interest was spiked. He simply nodded and waited for her to continue.

Jan Di recalled her conversation with Joon Pyo weeks earlier…

"Geum Jan Di," Joon Pyo said her name simply and turned away from her. "Mianhae…"

"Joon Pyo, why are you sorry? I'm the one who is sorry!"

He sighed. "I'm sorry for the way I treated you…for being so harsh…I was just hurt, and I couldn't accept the break-up."

Her eyes were moistened. "It hasn't been easy for me either, believe me… I care about you so much… It's been killing me…I'm so, so sorry, Joon Pyo!" Tears began to run down her face.

Joon Pyo crossed his arms and sighed, still unable to look at her. "I didn't understand how you could just change your mind like that…it made me crazed with anger…"

The comment stung a bit. "It wasn't like that, Joon Pyo! I didn't just change my mind. I really never meant for this to happen…it just happened…and it wasn't something that just happened overnight. I've been struggling with it for awhile. I didn't want to accept it, and I tried to deny it..."

He was silent.

"You mean so much to me, Joon Pyo…and you're someone that I can never forget as long as I live."

She watched his shoulders hunch slightly and his body tense.

"Do you hate me, Joon Pyo?" she asked shakily, tears streaming down her face now.

He finally turned to her. His eyes were reddened and his face was granite. Then, seconds later she watched it soften ever so slightly.

"No. I don't hate you." He approached her.

She couldn't look at him. She was being eaten alive by the vicious predator that was her sorrow and shame.

He sighed and put a hand on her shoulder. "Ji Hoo asked me to give you up."

She glanced up at him and then bowed her head, as she continued to tremble lightly.

"I told him I couldn't do it, and I still don't really know if I can…but I realized that I've been selfish…I've been selfishly and stupidly trying to hold onto you…"

"You're not stupid or selfish, Joon Pyo…," she said.

He tightened his jaw. "No, I have been…I've always been selfish, my whole life. It's how I grew up…and I've always been selfish with Ji Hoo… I've known how he felt for a long time, but I didn't care. I just couldn't give you up. Even though he gave you up for me… I told myself it was because of how much I loved you and that you were the only one for me…but I realized that I need to think of others' happiness, too."

"Joon Pyo…"

"Geum Jan Di, are you happy?" he asked suddenly. "Does he make you happy?"

She stared down at her feet. Her body was shaking all over. She sniffed and gave a subtle nod of her head.

Joon Pyo sighed and rubbed his head. "And you…love…him?" Joon Pyo could barely say it and it burned. It burned more than anything he'd ever felt.

She nodded again. "I'm so sorry, Joon Pyo…" Her body became wracked by sobs. He felt his own body beginning to shake in turn.

"Why him?" Joon Pyo finally asked. "Why Ji Hoo?"

Jan Di glanced up at him. He didn't appear angry, something else…

"I just need to know," he said.

"I don't know, Joon Pyo. I don't think it's something I really had a choice about. I think maybe he was just…chosen for me…as stupid as that may sound. As much as I loved you, I just don't think you and I were ever meant to be…I'm sorry, Joon Pyo, I'm so sorry!" she hung her head, and the tears continued to silently flow from her face to her neck. She was surprised she had any tears left at this point.

Her words were like fire setting him ablaze and charring him slowly, excruciatingly. It finally hit him. And it hit him hard. He'd been fighting a losing battle…

Joon Pyo's chest was heaving now and his eyes stung from the tears he'd been fighting back.

"What can I do, Joon Pyo? Please tell me what to do…to earn your forgiveness…," she begged.

He hesitated and then took her roughly in his arms. He wrapped her up tightly. "You don't have to do anything… I…forgive you…"

She stiffened at first, and then she embraced him back. He held her tightly as she cried. He stared out over her head, pondering how he could possibly begin to let her go…


Ji Hoo listened patiently and sympathetically to her story. He gazed at her tenderly, as she stared off into the distance, and he put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, Jan Di-yah… Are you OK?"

She sniffed and nodded. A few tears had escaped and run down her face.

"You know I can't stand to see you cry…," he said, as he wiped the tears. She looked down and nodded.

Ji Hoo pulled her against him and d her hair. He stared out across the pond for a moment and then broke the hug. His arm remained loosely around her shoulder.

"You know, Jan Di, I think perhaps Grandfather was right. Perhaps instead of an otter, you are more like the lotus," he mused, almost to himself.

She glanced over at him. "Like the lotus, you too Jan Di, have been affected by a dark and muddy world, but you have come through completely unsoiled. You're still the same sweet, caring, and beautiful person that I always knew. And you made my world more beautiful in the process…"

She looked over, resting her arm on her knee, and smiled sweetly. "Sunbae…"

He sighed. "Sure you're OK?"

"Actually, I think something is wrong with me…"

"What is it?" he asked fervently, turning to her with a look of pure concern on his face.

She gazed at him and then looked down and smiled shyly.

"Well, when I'm around a…certain person…I suddenly have some unusual symptoms…and I need your professional opinion…," she smiled wryly.

He grinned to himself. He grew mock serious and crossed his arms. "Hm, what are these symptoms?"

"Well, my heartbeat speeds up and begins to race…and I feel shortness of breath. And then, I get a bit dizzy… The symptoms are very intense when I'm around him… And when I am away from him, I feel an aching in my chest…"

He smiled knowingly. "Hm," he rubbed his chin, "…Sounds serious. Who is this person who brings about these symptoms?"

"Mmm…" she glanced across the pond.

"Anyone I know?"

"Yes, actually. You know him very well."

"Ah, I see," he smiled to himself.

"What's your diagnosis, Doctor?"

"Hm, well this disease…it is one that I'm very familiar with it…it's a specialty of mine actually," he laughed half-heartedly at the irony of that. "…It's called Lovesickness. I have this disease myself… Could it be that you have it, too?"

She nodded and a smile graced her face. "I think I do. Is there a cure?"

"There is one…" He leaned toward her slowly, as if he was going to tell her a secret, until his lips were inches from hers. "The cure is…to never be apart from the person who is causing the illness…"

"I failed to follow my own orders and my sickness got much worse, but I never will again…," he said.

They both closed their eyes, and he pressed his lips softly to hers. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him, as he deepened the kiss. From behind them they heard a synchronous, high-pitched "Wooo…" They broke the kiss and turned to see all the village kids watching and smiling. The kids began to clap and cheer. Ji Hoo reluctantly released Jan Di. She blushed and looked down. Ji Hoo revealed his perfect smile and shook his head.

"It appears we have an audience," he whispered to her. He wondered how long the kids had been there. Neither he nor Jan Di had heard them sneak up.

"Yes, it appears so," she said.

Ji Hoo turned to the kids. "Aren't you kids up past your bedtime?" he called out.

The question elicited raucous laughter from the group. Ji Hoo and Jan Di looked to each other, quizzically.

"It's only 7:30!" one of the older boys called out. "If you wanted privacy you should've waited another hour and a half!" The rest of them laughed hysterically. Ji Hoo shook his head; they had him on that. Then, the kids crowded around them, still ooo'ing and ahh'ing over the romantic moment.

"Now, do you guys mind?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Ohhh, we get it, right? They want to be alone…," one of the boys teased.

After they'd gotten rid of their young audience, Ji Hoo and Jan Di continued to sit by the lotus pond. Ji Hoo played his guitar and sang a song he'd written for her, as she rested her head against his shoulder.


Two weeks later, Ji Hoo and Jan Di had returned to Seoul, leaving behind promises that they would keep in touch and visit their new friends often. Yi Jeong had returned from Sweden, and as promised, he'd found Ga Eul immediately.

Joon Pyo remained in Korea, for the time being at least. He would soon be leaving again for further world travel for the business. He stood on the beach where he'd gone on a picnic with Jan Di once. It was then that she'd pushed him away the first time, telling him that he would always be just the heir to Shinwha to her. He recalled his emotional goodbye with Jan Di that time and this most recent, permanent one. He stared out, attempting to calm the swell in his heart.

Alex had remained in Korea, as well. She would be traveling with him to Rome soon. He shook his head at the fact that he hadn't been able to shake her. But somehow he felt…grateful for her being there.

Alex showed up while he stood on the beach. She made her way to his side, stirring him from his thoughts. He wasn't sure how she'd found him; she was entirely too nosy for her own good. "How long have you been here?" he asked, still staring out.

"Not long," she said.

He considered demanding that she leave, but he knew that was a hopeless cause. "Do you have something to say?" he asked, doing his utmost to hide any remnants of tears.

"No," she said simply. She hesitantly put a hand on his back. He allowed it, which surprised her a bit.

They simply stood there silently and looked out over the ocean. She tested the waters further and ran her hand up and down his arm. He attempted to remain stoic, but he felt himself faltering, and he began to shake lightly. He balled his hands into fists at his sides, and he felt a salty sea of tears forming. He slumped down to a seated position in the sand, and Alex followed suit, despite being in a rather expensive dress. She pulled him against her shoulder and wrapped her arms around him. He felt himself give in and wrap his arms around her, too, and he squeezed her. She said nothing, but simply allowed him to cry.


Afterward, Joon Pyo visited the old places he'd gone with Jan Di. He'd immersed himself in their memories. It had been his own personal form of cleansing. After that, there was one more order of business. Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo met on the same beach. They stood next to each other for a moment without saying a word, the wind blowing through their hair.

Ji Hoo worked up his courage to recite the speech he'd painstakingly prepared. He finally turned to Joon Pyo, who was staring out across the water. "Joon Pyo…," Ji Hoo began.

Joon Pyo held up a hand to cut him off. "I know what you're going to say, and you don't need to."

Ji Hoo sighed. "Joon Pyo, how can I make things right between us again? Please tell me what I can do! I need for you to forgive me!" he pleaded.

Joon Pyo smirked. "Jan Di said the same thing…" Ji Hoo gazed upon him sadly.

Joon Pyo paused for a long time, which had Ji Hoo on edge. Finally, Joon Pyo said, "Just make her happy."

Ji Hoo's lips parted, and he stared at Joon Pyo. "Joon Pyo…" he muttered, truly affected.

"Make her happy. And don't ever, ever hurt her, or you'll have to deal with me," Joon Pyo warned.

Ji Hoo smiled faintly, but he knew that Joon Pyo was far from joking. He knew without a doubt that if he ever hurt Jan Di in the slightest that Joon Pyo would hunt him down like an animal.

"You don't have to worry about that, Joon Pyo." They exchanged a glance. I'll never hurt her, Joon Pyo, I promise… I'll take care of her and protect her with my life… I'll never let her be hurt again… I'd die first…

Joon Pyo seemed to understand. "Good," he said simply. His face hardened and slightly turned from Ji Hoo.

"Joon Pyo, thank you!" Ji Hoo exclaimed, almost boyishly. Ji Hoo was near tears now and barely able to contain himself.

Joon Pyo faced Ji Hoo and sighed. Joon Pyo reached out and pulled Ji Hoo into a rough headlock. He gave Ji Hoo a noogie and pushed him aside. "Now, get out of here," Joon Pyo joked.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh and shook his head at Joon Pyo. Then, Ji Hoo suddenly wrapped his arms around Joon Pyo in a bear hug and shook him.

"Aish! What are you doing? Ya, Yoon Ji Hoo, get off me!"

Ji Hoo laughed and released Joon Pyo. Joon Pyo smirked at him and then brought him in again for an emotional, yet manly hug.


Two and a half months later…

Jan Di mused on how Ji Hoo had been acting very strange lately. And today, he'd refused to let her in the kitchen and had kept her out of the house all day running pointless errands. It was very suspicious and was making her quite nervous… He'd finally allowed her to come home for the day, instructing her to come the back way. She approached the house, prepared to give him a piece of her mind for sending her on a wild goose chase for some odd tool.

What, he's suddenly interested in home repair now?

As Jan Di approached the house, she could hear violin music coming from somewhere and noticed that the path to the backdoor had been lined with rose petals. Jan Di gasped lightly. What?

She hesitantly entered the house and looked around. The lighting was down. "Hello?" She scanned around suspiciously and made her way to the dining room, where a candlelit dinner had been prepared. She noticed all of her favorite dishes, displayed on his best china.

She suddenly had a terrible thought! Was it their anniversary? Had she forgotten? No, their six month was still a week away… She breathed a sigh of relief. Did he plan on celebrating early? She wondered if she was forgetting some other important event. Ji Hoo was very romantic and always wanted to celebrate everything…so it was possible…

Ji Hoo came out of the kitchen, and Jan Di jumped slightly. He chuckled. "Did I startle you?"

She laughed nervously. "A little." Then she looked him up and down. He was dressed in his finest.

"Sunbae, what is all this?"

He blinked at her and swallowed. He didn't answer but instead put a hand on her back and led her to the table. He sat her down. She shrugged. "Where's Grandfather?"

"Oh, he had some business to attend to," Ji Hoo said and sat down next to her.

"Business? What business?"

Ji Hoo smiled. "It's not important." He cleared his throat and adjusted his collar. He urged her to eat.

"Sunbae, did you make all of this?"

He nodded, and Jan Di dug into the meal ravenously. It was partially hunger and partially anxiety over whatever occasion she had forgotten to acknowledge and get him a present for. She kept full most of the time, hoping it didn't come up. She noticed he was barely picking at his food. They glanced at each other here and there, rather nervously. As the meal went on though, they both eased up.

"This is really beautiful, Sunbae, and the food is great."

He smiled. "I'm glad you like it."

He still seemed off to her…

"Is something the matter, Sunbae?" she asked.

He met her eyes and smiled lovingly, "No, of course not. Everything's perfect."

She smiled and continued to eat.

"The patio looked so beautiful, Sunbae. Did you do that, too?"

He nodded.

She closed her eyes tightly, "OK, I give, Sunbae! Did I forget something? I know it's not our six month anniversary yet…am I missing something? I'm really sorry about whatever I forgot!" She clasped her hands together and bowed slightly, asking for forgiveness for whatever the oversight had been.

Ji Hoo simply laughed. "No, you didn't forget anything."

"Oh. Then…what…?"

He exhaled sharply. He wiped his mouth and then put the napkin down. He went to her and took her by the hand and led her outside. He sat her down on the bench.

"Jan Di-yah," he began, and he started to pace. She stared up blankly at him.

"…Last time I offered this to you, it didn't go the way I'd hoped, but that was my fault. It was really bad timing on my part, and you were still in love with Joon Pyo... This time, I hope it will go differently…" She noticed him pull out a wooden box.

She finally understood. She'd been so dense. It had been so obvious. Jan Di gasped lightly and her chest began to rise and fall. "Sunbae…are you…sure?"

He nearly burst out laughing at her comment. "I've never been so sure of anything in my life," he said passionately.

Ji Hoo went down to one knee. He took her hand, and she clutched her chest with the other. She stared down at him, her eyes beginning to moisten and her chest heaving. She hoped that her hand wasn't too clammy.

He gazed up at her, as he ran his thumb along her hand. "From the moment I laid eyes on you, I knew how special you were. Though I realized them too late, my feelings for you have never changed; they've only grown stronger." He paused and gazed into her eyes. "…I love you, Jan Di. I love you more than you can possibly imagine. And if you allow me, I want to be your firefighter, full-time, 24/7, forever… Ms. Geum Jan Di, will you do me the great, great honor…of marrying me?"

"Sunbae…," her breathing continued to race, and her heart was thumping out of control.

"I know this seems sudden, but for me it's really not…I know how I feel, and there is no doubt in my mind that I want to spend the rest of my life with you…But there's absolutely no rush…"

He opened the box and held out his Grandmother's ring to her.

"Sunbae…"

"…I'd planned to ask for your father's permission, but I didn't want to put you on the spot if you felt it was too soon. But if you say yes, I will certainly go about this properly."

Jan Di appreciated the sentiment of him going to her father for permission. Ji Hoo appeared nervous when he mentioned that. She wasn't sure why. The notion of her family turning down an offer of marriage from Yoon Ji Hoo was laughable.

Ji Hoo continued, agonizing over what was going through her head right now. "…You don't need to answer right away…take some time and…"

She put a finger to his lips. He stopped short and stared at her. "I don't need to think about it," she said seriously. He inadvertently held his breath.

She smiled widely, as tears began to form. "Yes, Sunbae," she nodded enthusiastically, "Yes, I'll marry you!"

He released the breath he'd been holding, and they exchanged a look of pure happiness. He took the ring and slipped it onto her finger. Then, he took her in his arms in a crushing hug and their lips met. He picked her up and spun her around once and held her there tightly against him in the air. "Ji Hoo," he corrected. "Ji Hoo," she repeated with a blush, and he kissed her again.


One year later…

Ji Hoo and Jan Di arrived home. The path was once again lined with rose petals. Ji Hoo picked up Jan Di and kissed her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and he carried her into the house and toward the bedroom. That path was lined with rose petals, as well.

"Where's Grandfather?" Jan Di asked, as she placed a kiss on his cheek.

"I'm not sure what he's up to. He just said he was going to give us some privacy. And he made a not-so-subtle comment about getting started on great-grandchildren."

Jan Di blushed, "Oh, did he?"

"Yes, what do you think?" Ji Hoo grinned and pressed his lips to hers.

"Well, I don't know. Maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves…," she said breathlessly after pulling back.

They exchanged a smile. He carried her into the bedroom and laid her down on their bed.

He kissed her deeply and whispered, "Saranghae, Yoon Jan Di."

The End 

A/N  Thoughts?  I hope you enjoyed.  I also found out after I wrote this that often Korean women don't take their husband's name, but I really wanted him to call her that to denote that they were married.  So, sorry for the inaccuracy there.