Christmas

Like the Lotus

For the last 12 hours Joon Pyo had been crazed. No, that was an understatement. The sting of the betrayal from the two people he trusted most was unbearable. He had occasional moments of clarity during his insanity, during which he would tell himself that he should hear Jan Di out, that there must be some mistake, some explanation, that he was being too harsh. He hadn't really meant what he said when he told her he was through with her. Deep down, he felt that he could eventually forgive Jan Di. But for now, he wanted to punish someone… Who was to blame? He recalled Ji Hoo forcing his way between them. He trembled with rage at the thought. How dare he! How dare she! How dare they betray him?

He'd taken out his anger in very Joon Pyo fashion, recklessly and self-destructively. This included fast driving, drinking, and dealing with it alone… He'd ignored Jan Di and Ji Hoo's attempts at contact. He couldn't deal with them now. He knew he should hear them out for the sake of friendship and love, but he couldn't stand to hear any feeble attempts at explaining or apologizing… He couldn't fathom how this could have happened, again! What legitimate explanation could they truly offer for such a thing? His biggest fear was that there could possibly be something between Jan Di and Ji Hoo. But no, it couldn't be!

He'd felt secure, comfortable in knowing that Jan Di was all his now. That nothing, no one, could ever take her away from him. He wouldn't allow it! He wasn't giving up…. Goo Joon Pyo didn't give up on anything he wanted. It wasn't part of his vocabulary. Still, there needed to be consequences for the guilty parties. At this point, all he'd come up with was to freeze them out.

Joon Pyo lay tangled amidst a mess of blankets in his penthouse. His night had been tortured, and he'd only really slept after passing out from an alcohol and rage-induced exhaustion. He sat up and blinked at the light. His head was aching. He immediately collapsed back onto the pillow. He thought of Jan Di and the plans he'd made for them. He'd planned to thrill her with all the best that the city had to offer. He'd planned to relish the amazement and joy upon her face and hold her close. That wasn't going to happen now… He wasn't ready to forfeit his anger. He supposed it would be another Christmas spent alone. He growled and wrapped the pillow around his head.

As he submerged himself further into his cocoon there was a knock at the door. For a moment, he wondered if it could be Jan Di. He ignored it. They knocked again. "Go away," he growled. The persistent knocker continued. He'd allowed his servant the day off, so there was no one but him to answer. "Aish!" He stormed out of the bed and to the door.

Alex was on the other side. "Joon Pyo?" She looked him up and down. His curls were disheveled, his eyes were red, and his clothing was wrinkled. She'd never seen him such a mess. She almost didn't recognize him.

"What do you want?" He barked.

She put a hand to her forehead. "Well, I need those documents from Monday. I sent you some messages, but I guess you never got them."

"Fine." He stomped off and snatched the documents from his side table. He them at her. "Now, get out."

She caught the documents that he'd practically thrown at her. "What's wrong with you?" She asked, genuinely concerned.

"Nothing. Get out." He repeated in a low, icy tone.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No. I told you to get out!" He raised his voice.

"Goo Joon Pyo!" She said sternly, with her hands on her hips. "I'm not leaving until you tell me what's put you in this wonderful mood!"

"Shall I throw you out then?" He snarled. Alex stood her ground.


Jan Di changed for breakfast, while Ji Hoo waited. He sat on the bed and leaned forward, burying his face in his hands. He hadn't slept much, if any… He too had spent a torturous night. He was consumed by making things right again. He realized that they'd never really talked about what the kiss meant. He assumed that it had meant nothing to her, that it was some kind of fluke that she'd allowed it, or that she viewed it as a huge mistake. After all, she'd gone to New York to try to make things right with Joon Pyo. What was I thinking…?

Jan Di exited the bathroom. It took Ji Hoo a moment to realize she'd returned. He looked up at her when he noticed. He offered her a weak smile. "Mian-hae. I shouldn't have come here. I shouldn't have interfered." He paused. "I...got so angry without realizing it, and I made matters worse…. Mianhada…" She silently walked over and sat next to him on the bed. She released a small sigh, feeling as hopeless as he.

"Can I make it up to you?" He asked softly, looking at his hands.

She looked at him questioningly.

"I don't want you to spend your Christmas alone and depressed in a hotel room. Can I take you out to see the city?"

She looked at him. She recalled Joon Pyo saying he'd made plans for them. Her chest was still heavy from pain and guilt and her stomach was in knots. She wondered if Joon Pyo would still come. Considering the time, the lack of contact, and knowing him as she did, probably not… She rather feared what would happen if he did come and find Ji Hoo there.

"It's OK if you don't feel like it. But who knows when you'll be here again. There's a lot to see. I'd like for you to experience it. And it is Christmas after all."

She thought for a moment and took a deep breath. "…OK, let's go."


Joon Pyo grabbed Alex by the wrist and dragged her toward the door of the penthouse.

"Joon Pyo, get your hands off me!" She struggled.

He dropped her arm. "Then get out."

"You know, whatever the problem is, you're not going to fix it by sulking and pushing others away who just want to help."

He stared at her, stone-faced.

"I'd suggest getting a drink, but it looks like you're still battling a hangover. So, why don't I make some coffee, instead?"

Joon Pyo gave in to her stubbornness and plopped into his armchair. At this point, he really didn't care. "Do whatever you want…"

Alex went into his elaborate kitchen nook and the coffee maker. She began to prepare the coffee.

"So, where's your girlfriend?" Alex called from the next room.

He leaned back in the armchair carelessly. "I don't know."

"I take it you two had a fight."

Joon Pyo was silent.

"It wasn't something I said, was it?" Alex half-joked. Joon Pyo was silent.

"Are you going to make up with her soon?" Joon Pyo remained silent.

"You know, I know a little bit about being stubborn and prideful. It's not all that it's cracked up to be."

"Who says I'm being stubborn or prideful? Who says it's my fault?"

Alex grinned to herself. I just assumed. She poured the coffee into a mug and brought it to him. "Here, drink this."

He took a sip of it and made a face. Alex sat across from him. "Regardless of whose fault it is, you should discuss it as a couple."

"What would you know?"

"I know." She replied firmly. "Do you love her?"

He released a sigh. "Yes."

"Then shouldn't you talk to her and try to work it out, whatever it is? Especially at Christmas."

Joon Pyo thought about this. It was rational. But something stood in the way of logic. He was hitting a brick wall. He was angry, yes. He was stubborn, yes. But there was something new. Fear, perhaps?


Ji Hoo and Jan Di walked along 5th Avenue. It was snowing lightly and the sidewalk was blanketed in a thin layer of white. The snow crunched lightly beneath Jan Di's boots. She could hear the sound of traffic rushing by, along with other sounds: the tinkling of a bell, American Christmas music playing from a nearby store, a child laughing. She could feel the cool air nipping at the tip of her nose.

They made their way to an unassuming café. "I know it doesn't look like much, but they have the best American breakfast here." Ji Hoo said.

Jan Di actually found the place cozy and charming. It was lit up with Christmas lights, lined with garland, and a small Christmas tree resided in the corner, ornately decorated with handmade ornaments. They were seated and the waitress came over. Ji Hoo greeted her in English and gave her a charming smile. She beamed back at him, and they exchanged some friendly pleasantries that Jan Di only understood half of. He asked Jan Di what she wanted after allowing her a moment to look at the menu. Jan Di pointed to one of the pictures, and he ordered in English for her and for himself.

Jan Di looked at her plate after it was brought out, a cutely decorated holiday dish of gingerbread pancakes and a face made of eggs, bacon and sausage. A small smile crept across her lips, as she recalled the similar breakfast Ji Hoo left for her in Macau after the bathroom mishap. She still possessed the post-it note he'd left that day- Memory deleted… She felt herself smile at the memory, which was no longer humiliating but funny and precious. Ji Hoo noticed her smile and smiled to himself in response. It was a relief to him that she was still able to smile at a time like this.

Jan Di's appetite slowly began to return, as she tried out the food. "Wow, this is really good," she mumbled through a bite. She proceeded to practically inhale the rest. Ji Hoo grinned and nodded, as he delicately continued his own breakfast.

Throughout breakfast, Ji Hoo noticed that Jan Di kept glancing down at her phone. She'd check it, get a very depressed look on her face, and casually put it away. The corners of his mouth creased into a frown. "Have you heard anything?" He asked despondent.

"No," she mumbled, so disheartened that it broke Ji Hoo's heart, as well. He wanted to talk to her more about the incident, but he was afraid to hear what she had to say… They finished the rest of their breakfast in silence.


"You should eat something," Alex demanded.

"I'm not hungry," Joon Pyo grumbled, closing his eyes and leaning back in his chair.

Alex sighed. "It'll help with the hangover." She went to his kitchen. "I'll make you some breakfast."

"You can cook?" He mumbled sarcastically.

"Yes, I have many talents!" She called back at him. Joon Pyo shook his head and covered his face to block the light.

She fiddled around in the kitchen awhile longer, while Joon Pyo existed in his chair. After some time, Alex brought out a tray of breakfast for him. The tray contained an assortment of American breakfast foods arranged into a face, with a couple of aspirin and water beside it. He stared down at it, recalling Jan Di's lunch box. He clenched his jaw tightly. "What the hell is this?" He asked, not wanting to show any kind of emotion.

Alex laughed. "I guess it's a little silly, but my maid always made this for me when I was a little girl and I needed cheering up." He looked over at her, wondering if her home life had been as lonely as his.


Jan Di walked around dazed and preoccupied by her thoughts, with Ji Hoo by her side. She wondered what Joon Pyo was doing. She wondered if he would be able to forgive her. He must be really angry right now… Ji Hoo glanced over at her now and then, concerned and wishing there was something he could say or do to make it better. He'd occasionally take her shoulders and guide her to the side slightly to avoid a collision with someone or something.

They stopped for peppermint hot chocolate. They walked along sipping the hot chocolate. The taste and warmth was comforting. They continued to stroll along looking at the beautiful holiday window displays. Jan Di couldn't help but smile at them. She stopped for a closer look. They browsed the holiday shops, and Jan Di picked up a couple of items for her family.

Next, they made their way to the Empire State building. They went to the top and looked out over the expanse of the city.

"Wow, it's amazing!" Jan Di said in wonderment. She looked through the viewfinder and encouraged him to do so. He complied. She continued to look out and point here and there. Ji Hoo smiled. The simplest things had always given Jan Di pleasure. It was one of the many things he loved about her. He leaned casually next to her and gazed out over the city. He'd been there before, but it was like he was seeing it for the first time, too.

He recalled his time with Jan Di in Macau. He'd felt so happy exploring the city with her then, too. He wanted to tell her that everything and everyplace was better with her by his side… Instead, he simply said, "We should get a picture."

"Ok." Jan Di pulled out her cell phone. Ji Hoo put his arm around her shoulder. They squeezed in and Jan Di snapped a selfie of them with the New York skyline in the background.


Joon Pyo reluctantly finished Alex's breakfast, deciding that it wasn't too terrible and giving her a backdoor compliment. "So, did you decide? Are you going to call and make up with your girlfriend?"

Joon Pyo replied with a short "No."

"Well, then why don't you come with me? My father invited us to a "party" at my parents' house, but party will probably equal business meeting, so no need to worry."

"So bothersome," Joon Pyo mumbled.

"I know, but you might as well go if you're just planning to sit here and sulk. Maybe it'll get your mind off things."

Joon Pyo reluctantly agreed to the party/business meeting after a lot of prompting from Alex. He showered and dressed automatically. He followed Alex somberly to her driver's car and got in. They rode along in silence. Joon Pyo glanced at his phone. He'd considered calling or texting Jan Di multiple times since the night before, but he'd stopped himself every time.

He looked at his phone log and noticed that Jan Di hadn't attempted to contact him in a few hours. Neither had Ji Hoo. He tightened his jaw, wondering if they were spending time together and what they were doing. Wild thoughts flew through his head and nearly set him into a rage. He clenched the seat to steady himself. The two sat in silence.

They arrived 45 minutes later at a large mansion in Westchester. They pulled up to the pretentious stone-walled mansion, similar in magnitude to Joon Pyo's in Korea. He mentally braced himself for the evening. He was physically present, but not really there. Alex ushered him to the front door.


Ji Hoo took Jan Di to the New York City ballet to see the Nutcracker. They took their seats, and the lights dimmed. She turned off her phone. Jan Di watched in awe. She took in the beautiful music and the fluid movements of the dancers. She felt as though she was in a trance. She especially loved the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy. The sets and costumes were stunning, so many colors! It was amazing the story they could tell with music and dance. Ji Hoo glanced over at her, as she gazed intently at the stage, their arms lightly resting against each other. He smiled to himself. Jan Di was captivated by the stage in front of her. She'd never seen anything like it. They would whisper to each other off and on about the show. She was thoroughly enjoying herself.

After the show, Jan Di thought about how the day had gone so quickly. She was surprised to realize that she'd actually enjoyed herself very much. Not because time spent with Ji Hoo wasn't always pleasant, but she'd been so concerned about Joon Pyo and the incident. She was thinking of Joon Pyo a lot at first, constantly, but she realized that she hadn't thought about him in a few hours. This realization brought her guilt. She remembered and turned her phone on. She waited. There was still no response from him. She sighed, wishing he would just end the torment and contact her. She considered finding him herself.

Ji Hoo took her to Rockefeller Center, another must see according to him. They gazed up at the gigantic Christmas tree splendidly lit up. Crowds of people flocked around them and Christmas music blared. It was snowing lightly again, and the view was spectacular.

"It's so beautiful," she commented. He looked up at the tree beside her and smiled. "So are you," he said off-handed, at first not believing that the words had escaped his lips.

She looked at him and her lips parted slightly. She looked down immediately, the hint of a blush on her cheeks. She had never heard those words from Joon Pyo or from any man. Ji Hoo let out a small sigh before quickly changing the subject. "You know, this tree is 78 feet tall."

"Wow," she muttered in amazement.

They walked around, enjoying the lights and scenery. Jan Di glanced over at a large skating rink. She noticed couples skating hand-in-hand. "Would you like to skate?" Ji Hoo asked.

She looked down, sadly. She recalled skating with Joon Pyo when they'd went on the double date, and she recalled him holding her while they spied on Yi Jung and Ga Eul. Those days seemed so long ago. She considered saying no, but she reluctantly agreed.

Jan Di stumbled onto the ice in her skates. Ji Hoo held out his hand. She stared at it for a moment before taking it. They went around the rink. "You're pretty good at skating, Sunbae," Jan Di commented, as he held her hand and skated with her. He laughed. "I suppose."

Holding his hand was a strange feeling. They'd held hands before, but it had been a different situation. The sensation was different now. Today had been strangely pleasant. It felt like they were doing couple things. This thought brought with it incredible guilt. She'd never skated hand-in-hand with anyone other than Joon Pyo. She spaced out as they skated and memories flooded back to her.

She felt herself slipping, and she felt him catch her around the waist and squeeze lightly. He looked at her, as he protectively and tenderly clutched at her side. Her breath caught in for the briefest second. She lost her balance once more and this time plopped onto the ice, dragging him down with her. They both laughed at her endearing clumsiness. He rose and held his hand out to her. "Are you OK?" He asked, looking down at her.

She laughed it off and took his hand. "Oww!" She yelped, as he attempted to help her up. Ji Hoo winced with concern. "You probably sprained it." He swiftly lifted her into his arms and carried her toward a nearby bench. "S-s-sunbae," she stammered, as she hesitantly wrapped her arms around his neck. "You don't have to…" He felt her shiver lightly.

"It's OK." He smiled, as he held her tighter and delicately sat her on the bench. He put his coat around her and kneeled in front of her. He took off the skate of the ankle she'd clutched at. Her face twisted and she flinched as he took the skate off.

"This one?"

She nodded. He looked at her ankle and put light pressure on it. She winced.

"It's probably a sprain, but we better get it checked out."

She nodded. She grew silent and felt herself begin to well up suddenly. The pain on his face matched hers. "Does it hurt badly? He asked, concerned.

She shook her head. "No, it's not that…"

He nodded in understanding. He sat next to her and wrapped his arms around her comfortingly. She leaned into his chest, her tears dampening his shirt. He held her firmly, tenderly while she silently sobbed. He clenched his jaw and closed his eyes. He leaned his head against hers and gently kissed the top of her head. "It's OK," he whispered lovingly. He felt her clutch at his shirt as she continued to shake. "It's OK," he whispered once more. "Joon Pyo will come around…he couldn't possibly give you up…" Ji Hoo felt the familiar ache in his chest at his own words. He knew they rang true. Joon Pyo would never give her up…that was all too clear to him. What was he doing? Why had he come?

"Let's get you to the hospital," he simply said. He picked her up once more and carried her to the side of the street and hailed a cab.