Denial & Danger

Like the Lotus

Alex chased Joon Pyo outside, and they stood once more in the garden. He was turned from her and his arms were folded. Alex approached him slowly. She already knew what the problem was, and she had no idea how to console him. The way Jan Di and Ji Hoo were looking at one another was unmistakable. Had she only known how transparent she, too, had been!

"Joon Pyo," she said softly. He didn't speak. She continued to approach him.

"Alex, not now…" he cautioned.

She hesitated but then moved closer. She put a hand gently on his back. Joon Pyo quickly shrugged it off.

Alex sighed. "Are you OK?"

"Not now, I said," he growled.

"OK," she turned to leave.

Joon Pyo took a deep breath, doing his best to compose himself. "I want to be alone for a little while. I'll be back in soon."

"OK." Alex chewed her lip, as she slowly exited the garden. She shot him a last glance before walking through the entryway toward the ballroom. She stopped just on the other side and leaned heavily against the wall. She closed her eyes and sighed. Why did her chest suddenly ache?


Ji Hoo and Jan Di ended their dance. Ji Hoo slowly released her and graciously bowed. Jan Di smiled and returned the gesture. Their eyes momentarily fixed upon each other, and Jan Di looked down. She turned to where Joon Pyo and Alex had been standing and noticed that they were no longer there. She looked to Ji Hoo, quizzically. Ji Hoo scanned the room, also wondering where Joon Pyo and Alex had disappeared to.

Ji Hoo looked to Jan Di. Her head hung slightly. "Are you alright?" He asked gently.

She nodded. "Just a little tired."

"Would you like for me to take you home?"

"Well, Joon Pyo and I made plans to see each other after this, and I should talk to him..."

"Oh." Ji Hoo mumbled dismally. The thought of Jan Di and Joon Pyo leaving together made him crazy…

She nodded politely to him and turned to look for Joon Pyo. Ji Hoo clasped her wrist, stopping her suddenly. She looked back at him, confused. "I'll go and look for him. Wait here." Jan Di began to refuse but stopped when she noticed Ji Hoo's serious expression.

Ji Hoo turned resolutely toward the exit. He wasn't sure what he expected to find. The scene in the garden had been surprising. He'd assured Jan Di that there was an explanation to why Joon Pyo had been hugging Alex in the garden. And he truly believed that nothing was going on between them. He trusted Joon Pyo, but he wasn't willing to risk Jan Di's fragile emotional state on the assumption that it was completely innocent.

Ji Hoo exited the ballroom and noticed Alex leaning against the back wall. They exchanged disapproving glances, and Ji Hoo walked past her and out into the garden. Joon Pyo was standing a few yards away with his back turned. Ji Hoo put his hands in his pockets and slowly approached Joon Pyo. Joon Pyo turned at the sound of Ji Hoo's light footsteps. Ji Hoo stopped, and they stared at each other for a moment. The only sound to be heard was that of the crickets chirping.

"Here you are," Ji Hoo finally commented.

"Here I am," Joon Pyo replied, barely able to look at Ji Hoo. Seeing Ji Hoo's face only reminded him of the way Jan Di had been looking at him as they danced.

Joon Pyo had desperately wanted to dismiss the kiss between Jan Di and Ji Hoo as some fluke, but seeing them together tonight… He'd thought it was one-sided. He'd told himself that it was only Ji Hoo harboring these deep emotions, and he was assured that Ji Hoo would never again act upon them. But as he watched Jan Di tonight, he'd seen a look on her face that he hadn't seen in awhile, a look that had once been reserved for him alone… NO! He couldn't accept it… He couldn't even think it…that Jan Di could have those feelings for Ji Hoo.

"Are you alright, Joon Pyo?" Ji Hoo asked.

If one more person asks me that... Joon Pyo simply nodded and coldly turned from Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo sighed. He wanted to question Joon Pyo about Alex, but he could clearly see he was in no mood. What brought on the mood remained a mystery to him.

"What do you want, Ji Hoo?" he asked calmly but bluntly.

Ji Hoo hesitated. "Jan Di… She said that the two of you had plans tonight…" Joon Pyo was silent.

"Will you be taking her home tonight, then? Or, should I…?" Ji Hoo asked.

Joon Pyo's nostrils flared. He did not yet feel prepared to deal with either of them. "You take her."

Ji Hoo was floored. "What?"

"I said you take her. I drove Alex. I need to take her home."

"Are you serious, Joon Pyo? I'm sure Alex can get another ride," he replied, not sure why he was arguing this.

"Just get her home safely," Joon Pyo said, without turning around.

"Joon Pyo…" Ji Hoo began, but his inner voice immediately told him to shut up.

Joon Pyo exhaled sharply and turned around. He strode past Ji Hoo and into the entryway. Alex was still there. He grabbed her by the wrist. "Come on, we're leaving."

"What?" Alex looked up at him, stunned. Normally she wouldn't tolerate this from him, but one look at his face told her she should overlook it tonight. "OK…"

Joon Pyo dragged Alex back into the ballroom, finally releasing her and leaving her behind. Joon Pyo passed Jan Di and approached Mr. Lee, Mr. Kwon, and Mr. Kim. "Please excuse us, gentlemen, but Alex isn't feeling well, and we'll be leaving early."

Mr. Lee and Mr. Kwon nodded. "That's too bad," Kim Hyun-Woo commented. He shot a glance to Alex. Alex met his glance briefly and looked away. Joon Pyo bowed and glanced to Jan Di. Jan Di stared back, thoroughly confused. With a heavy chest and without a word, he turned back to Alex. "Let's go," he said, and she immediately followed him.

Ji Hoo had caught up and was standing beside a bewildered Jan Di. She stared after Joon Pyo and then turned to Ji Hoo, who appeared equally baffled.


Alex once again pursued Joon Pyo, as he headed toward his car. Her own long, lean legs were no match for Joon Pyo's quick, determined stride. "Joon Pyo, stop!" She finally exclaimed. He turned around long enough to ask, "What is it?" and then he continued to walk ahead.

"That's what I want to ask! So, I'm sick now?" Finally catching up, she reached out and grabbed his arm. "Would you wait?"

He stopped and turned toward her. "What's going on?" She asked.

He sighed. "I just couldn't stay there any longer."

She scoffed. "Well, it wasn't exactly a picnic for me either, but why suddenly…? Is this about Jan Di and Ji Hoo?"

Joon Pyo glared at her and got into his car. Alex quickly rushed to the passenger side and got in before he had the chance to take off without her. She buckled herself in. "I know. You don't want to talk about it…. Are you sure you should drive in this state, though?"

"I'm fine."

"I understand how you must be feeling, Joon Pyo, but what are you doing here with me? I would think you would want to do anything to keep them apart." What am I saying?

It did sound like something he would do. "I just couldn't deal with them right now."

"I see." Alex understood his denial.

There was silence as he drove. Alex glanced over sporadically at Joon Pyo. "Do you want to talk about something else?"

More silence.

The silence engulfed them until Alex could no longer stand it. She sighed. "Oh! Let's get some ice cream!" Her voice was suddenly bubbly and she fidgeted like an excited child.

He scowled over at her and turned his eyes back to the road. "We're not getting ice cream."

"Come on, I'm hungry," she pouted. "You rushed us out before dinner…"

"No ice cream."

"Come on…"

"No!"

They argued back and forth for a few minutes. Joon Pyo was stubborn, but Alex was good at getting what she wanted. They stopped for ice cream.


Ji Hoo drove Jan Di back to Ga Eul's in silence, both still processing the evening.

"Sunbae, did something happen?"

Ji Hoo sighed. "I don't know. I went to talk to Joon Pyo, and something was bothering him, but he wouldn't talk to me about it. He just said that he needed to take Alex home and asked me to make sure that you got back safely."

Jan Di's brow wrinkled, and she looked down. Ji Hoo glanced over at her.

Jan Di fidgeted with her dress. "Do you suppose Joon Pyo…likes Alex?" She felt the words catch in .

Ji Hoo glanced over at her. He looked down and noticed her hand shaking lightly. He took one hand from the wheel and reached for hers. He took her hand in his and interlocked fingers with her. She looked down at their hands, feeling a slight flutter.

"I don't think it's like that," he said gently. "I wouldn't worry."

Jan Di nodded. Ji Hoo absently began to run his thumb over her hand. She wondered if he realized what he was doing…

"I'm actually not all that worried," she confessed.

He reluctantly released her hand and took the wheel with both hands again. He glanced over at her. She seemed unusually calm.

"Maybe I should be more worried than I am." She sighed.

"You're a very trusting person, Jan Di. That's a good quality to have. I'm not sure what's going on with him, but I believe in Joon Pyo, too."

Jan Di smiled weakly and nodded.


The next morning Alex sat in the conference room at the Seoul office. She thought about last night. Seeing Hyun-Woo again had been a nightmare, but the evening hadn't ended so badly. Joon Pyo had been a grouch about it, but he'd stopped for ice cream on the way back. He'd been very upset last night and barely talked, but toward the end of the evening she actually managed to get him to smile.

She thought of Joon Pyo's smile. It didn't come out to play often, but when it did… She smiled to herself. Most of the time, his personality was completely awful. He was loud, rude, obnoxious, and prone to temper tantrums. But he did have some redeeming qualities. He commanded respect wherever he went. He could be funny, passionate, and determined when he wanted to be. And he could be caring, gentle, and sweet. There was an almost childlike innocence to him, at times. She recalled the feel of being in his arms, last night in the garden and on Valentine's Day. It was warm; it was safe; it was comforting. She wrinkled her nose in disgust. Ugh, what's wrong with me?

Alex leaned back in her chair, prepared to enjoy her daydreaming a bit longer, but she was stirred by her father's voice behind her. She spun around in her chair to see not only her father but Hyun-Woo strolling into the conference room. She visibly flinched.

"Sorry, we didn't mean to startle you," her father said. Hyun-Woo simply smirked.

"Oh, you didn't," she assured, as she stood and smoothed out her skirt.

"Alex, have a seat," her father demanded rather than suggested. He closed the door to the conference room.

"OK," she replied, sensing some kind of ambush. She sat, and the two hovered over her.

"Alex, do you recall that little proposal I came up with?" Her father began.

"How could I forget?" She fake-smiled.

"Well, Hyun-Woo and I have been talking, and he's very intrigued by the idea."

Alex glanced over at Hyun-Woo leaning against the table. His arms were crossed, and he looked very pleased with himself. Why did she always suspect he was undressing her with his eyes?

"Is that so?" she commented haughtily.

"Yes, it seems that he was quite taken with you last night. He told me that he's never forgotten about you."

Alex looked to Hyun-Woo, who continued to grin at her. "Well, that's very nice, but…"

"I think it's an excellent match," her father interrupted.

"Father, could I speak to you in private, please?" Alex said through gritted teeth.

"I'm sorry, my dear, but I have an important phone call in just a few minutes. We'll talk later. For now, you and Hyun-Woo should get reacquainted." Mr. Lee turned and quickly left before she could protest.

And they were alone. Hyun-Woo continued to silently grin at her. An alarm was going off loudly in her head. "Finally, we're alone," he said.

Alex shot him a disgusted look from her chair. Hyun-Woo stood over her. "It's been a long time… I'd hoped to get reacquainted more last night, but you were so elusive…"

"Well, it was a business dinner. I had to make my rounds." she replied with disinterest.

Hyun-Woo his chin. "Yes, of course, but I didn't even get a dance."

"Well, you managed to find another partner…" Alex immediately regretted the statement.

"Ah yes, were you jealous?"

Alex scoffed. "Of course not! I felt sorry for her, actually…"

"Ouch! Come now, I'm a good dancer…" He chuckled.

Alex gave a false laugh.

"She was a cute little thing, wasn't she?" Hyun-Woo folded his arms and recalled Jan Di. "Friend of yours?"

"No, I barely know her," Alex replied shortly.

"She certainly has connections, though, doesn't she?"

Alex shrugged.

"Goo Joon Pyo and Yoon Ji Hoo… Powerful friends to have… Or, perhaps more than friends?" He looked at Alex for confirmation, with a gleam in his eye.

"What are you getting at, Hyun-Woo?"

"Oh, nothing. I just like to observe people. This girl, Geum Jan Di… What's her relationship to Goo Joon Pyo?"

Alex's instincts told her to lie. "Oh, they barely know each other."

Hyun-Woo shook his head. "It didn't seem that way… She said Goo Joon Pyo invited her."

"Oh, yeah she's a friend of a friend of a friend of a relative that he promised to invite, you know how it is."

"I see." Hyun-Woo rubbed his chin.

"Why do you care?"

"Oh, just curious. But anyway, back to us…" He moved closer. She suddenly regretted diverting the conversation back to herself.

"Us? There is no us, Hyun-Woo."

Hyun-Woo smirked. "We made a great couple back then…"

"Great? Ha!"

He leaned over her. She began to back away and rise from the chair, but he slammed his hand down on the arm of the chair and held it in place. He brought his other hand to her cheek and began to lightly it with two fingers. She quickly grabbed his wrist. "Don't touch me," she snarled. Fire burned in his eyes. He slammed his hand onto the table, as he continued to hold her chair in place and stare down at her.

Alex strengthened her resolve. "Hyun-Woo. You're not seriously considering this marriage, are you? You've never been the type to want to settle down."

"Well, I must admit that I'm getting older, and settling down wouldn't be the worst thing. Besides, your father and mine are good friends. And when I saw you last night…" He sighed. "You've grown even more beautiful…"

"Come on Hyun-Woo. With your IQ and playboy nature, that's the best you can come up with?" She crossed her arms.

Hyun-Woo chuckled. "I guess I'm a little bit rusty."

Alex scoffed. "I don't buy it." She moved to once more slip out of the chair. Hyun-Woo slammed both hands down onto the arms of the chair, his body a blockade. "Sit down!"

Alex glared at him, her breathing escalated. She recalled Joon Pyo's words. She'd face him head-on and be direct. "I can't marry you, Hyun-Woo."

"Why not?" He glared back at her.

"For a number of reasons."

"Such as?"

"I don't love you," she simply stated.

"Oh, love…big deal…" He leaned against the table, pressing his hands against it.

"And I don't believe in arranged marriage." He didn't seem to be convinced. "…And there's someone else…"

"Really? And who might that be?"

"You don't know him."

"What's his name?"

"As if I'd tell you," she sneered.

"It's OK." He leaned in closer, and she could feel his hot breath on her neck. "I already know…," he whispered against her ear.

Alex scoffed. "What?"

"You're not fooling anyone. Just like I knew about Joo-Won…" He casually picked a piece of lint off his Armani suit and let it drop carelessly to the floor.

"You leave him out of this," she growled.

Hyun-Woo shot her a sinister smile. "Then, should we talk about Joon Pyo instead?"

"What about me?" Alex and Hyun-Woo turned to see Joon Pyo entering the conference room. Alex breathed a sigh of relief.

"Goo Joon Pyo," Hyun-Woo greeted.

"Having a meeting without me?" Joon Pyo cocked his head. He glanced to Alex.

"Of course not, Joon Pyo. We were just catching up."

Joon Pyo nodded and approached Hyun-Woo. Alex slipped out of her chair and stood back, tightly embracing herself.

"I don't like it when people talk about me behind my back," Joon Pyo said.

"No such thing was going on, Joon Pyo." Hyun-Woo stared Joon Pyo down.

Joon Pyo nodded. "You know, I've been meaning to tell you that I'm no longer interested in this merger."

"What?" Hyun-Woo's nostrils flared and his eyes blazed.

"No, it just doesn't suit me. No offense meant toward your company," Joon Pyo said casually, putting his hands into his pockets.

"Oh, I take offense..." Hyun-Woo snarled. "What is your reasoning?"

"I've just decided against it," Joon Pyo said coolly.

"You can't do that!"

"Actually, I can. I'm the one in charge here, and I can refuse to work with whoever I choose."

Hyun-Woo appeared to be preparing some great retort, but all he could muster was a childish threat. "We shall see about that!" He shot a cold glance toward Alex before bumping his shoulder against Joon Pyo and storming out of the conference room.

"Oh…my….god, you were great! I've never seen anyone get to Hyun-Woo like that!" Alex shrieked after Hyun-Woo left. She threw her arms around the neck of a shocked Joon Pyo. He hesitantly patted her back. She released him quickly and cleared . She pulled down her white button-up shirt and smoothed it.

"Are you OK?" Joon Pyo asked, looking away.

Alex nodded and smiled at him as if gazing upon a mythological hero.

"You weren't joking about him…what an !"

Alex nodded. "Yeah."

"What did you ever see in that guy?"

"I don't know…I was young and naïve. And I think he's actually gotten worse. Didn't think it was possible…"

"Well, I have no interest whatsoever in being in business with that man."

"Neither do I, but what about my father?"

"I'll talk to him."

"Thank you, Joon Pyo. You're quite the knight in shining armor…" Alex's pride was a little hurt at having to be "rescued," but at this point she was too relieved and impressed to care.

Joon Pyo sneered and his voice got higher, as it did when he was embarrassed. Alex suppressed a chuckle.

"But why did Hyun-Woo bring me up?" Joon Pyo asked suddenly.

"Oh, well that's not important," Alex chuckled nervously. They each took a seat. "Are you doing better?" she asked.

Joon Pyo sighed. "Yea, maybe I was overreacting, reading into things…"

Alex nodded. Perhaps he was still avoiding the situation, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything.


Joon Pyo and Alex were on a plane to New York. Joon Pyo sat rubbing his temple. He'd been very quiet. After the blowup with Hyun-Woo, Mr. Lee had insisted they immediately return to New York for some damage control. Joon Pyo had only briefly talked with Jan Di before he left, and it had been superficial. He'd left her with a kiss on the cheek.

Alex studied Joon Pyo. She fidgeted with the hem of her skirt and attempted to ignore the gnawing feeling in her stomach. Unable to do so any longer, she got his attention. "Joon Pyo, something has been bothering me…"

"What is it?"

"Hyun-Woo was asking a lot of questions about Jan Di and about Ji Hoo, too. And he asked about your relationship to Jan Di."

Joon Pyo grew silent. His eyes darted back and forth.

"I lied. I told him you had no significant connection to her."

Joon Pyo looked at Alex.

"Trust me. You don't want Jan Di on his radar."

"What do you mean?"

"Like I said, he's not a good guy. You don't want to give him any reason to think that Jan Di is important…and especially now that we've both gone and pissed him off."

"Alex, is there something you're not telling me? If so, you better tell me right now!"

Alex exhaled sharply. "Well, I don't know much about it, but Hyun-Woo has a lot of very powerful connections. Most of those connections being…less than reputable, shall we say. That's another reason I broke free. He's had a lot of dirty dealings… He even had me stalked once."

Joon Pyo tightened his mouth. "Does your father know about this?"

"I don't know. He is close friends with Hyun-Woo's father… It's possible, I guess."

"I can't believe you're telling me this now, Alex! I have to go back!"

"No, Joon Pyo. We don't know that he's going to do anything… We shouldn't do anything suspicious. And he can't possibly touch you or Ji Hoo, right? We just have to keep him convinced that Jan Di is meaningless. So, going back to New York and staying away from her is the best thing you can do to keep her safe."

Joon Pyo tightened his mouth and slammed his fist down hard against the arm of the seat. He pulled out his phone.


Woo Bin sat with Ji Hoo at his house sipping tea. Woo Bin's phone rang.

"Yo, Joon Pyo…"

Ji Hoo glanced over.

"Uh huh…"

"What?"

"Uh huh…"

Ji Hoo shifted uncomfortably.

"What was that name again?" Woo Bin pondered. "Sounds familiar. I'll check into him."

Woo Bin hung up, a stern expression on his face. "What was that about?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Joon Pyo was asking me to check into some guy named Kim Hyun-Woo."

"Kim Hyun-Woo? Jan Di and I met him at that dinner. He's working with Joon Pyo."

"Joon Pyo wanted me to do a background check on him."

"Why?"

"I guess Alex told Joon Pyo some bad things about this guy, and now he's worried. Kim Hyun-Woo was asking questions about you and Jan Di and about Jan Di's relationship with Joon Pyo."

"What?" Ji Hoo exclaimed.

"Yeah. Don't worry, though. I'll get my guys right on this." Woo Bin stood and took out his phone once more.


Two weeks later, Jan Di had found an apartment and was moved in. The place was nothing special, but it was close to work and school and would do for now. Ji Hoo, Woo Bin, and Ga Eul had helped her move in. The guys were clearly less than impressed, but they were polite about it. The three had helped to make it a nice place to live.

Jan Di headed to her new home from work. She climbed the concrete stairs up to the third floor apartment. As she fumbled with her key she realized that the door was unlocked. She didn't remember leaving it that way. Jan Di had a sinking feeling as she slowly crept inside. She heard a noise from the next room and let out a small gasp. Just then, she saw two men with masks come out. Jan Di screamed. The men rushed past her, and one knocked her to the ground. She felt the sting as her hand caught the sharp end of the coffee table, and just like that, the men were gone. Breathing heavily and wincing from the pain of her bleeding hand, Jan Di pulled out her phone and called the police. Then she called Ji Hoo.

Jan Di gave her report to the police with Ji Hoo and Woo Bin by her side. Ji Hoo had been in a panic, and Woo Bin had gone as back up and out of mutual concern for Jan Di. After Jan Di finished talking to the police, Ji Hoo whisked her off to his place, along with Woo Bin. The police had told her the place seemed secure and that they'd be doing an investigation. She'd planned to be brave and stay there tonight, despite being a bit anxious. There had been no arguing with Ji Hoo, though. He'd insisted that he wouldn't allow her to stay there and threatened to carry her off if she didn't come along willingly.

So, Jan Di sat in Ji Hoo's living room with Grandfather, while Ji Hoo and Woo Bin talked outside in the courtyard. Woo Bin watched Ji Hoo pace back and forth, his hands on his hips.

"Ji Hoo-yah," Woo Bin said gently.

"I can't believe I let this happen," Ji Hoo mumbled, still pacing.

"It wasn't your fault," Woo Bin replied.

Woo Bin pondered. "The police said that it didn't appear to be a robbery, and Jan Di didn't notice anything missing. The place was ransacked, though. It seemed that the men were looking for something."

"What could they have possibly been looking for?" Ji Hoo asked.

Woo Bin tightened his mouth. "I wonder if…"

"What?"

"I wonder if it had anything to do with that guy Kim Hyun-Woo…"

Ji Hoo turned to him. "Did you find anything out about him yet?"

"Only some minor things. He's pretty good at covering himself," Woo Bin replied.

Just then, Woo Bin's phone rang. "Yea… What?" Woo Bin raised his voice and furrowed his brow. ... "Yes, thank you."

"What was that about?" Ji Hoo demanded, with a look of concern on his face.

Woo Bin sighed. "That guy Kim Hyun-Woo… It seems that he went by another name years ago, and he has ties to the Kkaangpae. It seems he comes from a rival gang of ours, and they have a lot of ties in New York City, as well. One of my guys checked into him, and he's been linked to a lot of shady activities. We're talking serious stuff, extortion, kidnapping, assault…"

"What?!" Ji Hoo shouted and began to pace again. He tightened his fists hard at his sides. He was breathing heavily and his heart was racing.

"And this guy knows Jan Di's name, where she lives, and he, he…touched her!" Ji Hoo fumed.

"Ji Hoo-yah, calm down. We don't know it was him, but I'll put my best guys on it."

Ji Hoo continued to pace and covered his mouth with his hand. "It was him. I just have a feeling… Why did it take your guys so long to find this out?"

"Ji Hoo-yah, I'm sorry. This guy is pretty sneaky… But don't worry, I'll handle this." Woo Bin put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder.

Ji Hoo moved away from him and continued to pace. "How could Joon Pyo be so careless? Why didn't he check into this guy before getting into business with him? He's put Jan Di in danger…"

"Ji Hoo-yah... Joon Pyo would never purposely put Jan Di in danger."

Ji Hoo turned back to Woo Bin again. "That's just the thing, he never purposely does it, but he still does! When I think about all that Jan Di has been through because of Joon Pyo…first with Joon Pyo's mother and now this guy…all the times he's hurt her and caused problems for her…"

Woo Bin put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder.

"I have to get her out of here…" Ji Hoo mumbled, turning away once more.

"What?"

"She's not safe…"

"I made sure we weren't followed. Ji Hoo-yah, try to calm down. You're upset and not thinking clearly right now. Just lay low and let me figure this out."

Ji Hoo grew pensive. "Lay low? That's a good idea actually. Maybe I should take her somewhere, far away, where he can't touch her…"

Woo Bin sighed. "I don't think it is to that point yet, but if you need it I have a couple of safe houses out in the country."

Ji Hoo nodded.

"Just try to relax and stay here tonight, OK? I'll have the house and her apartment watched, and I'll check into all this."

Ji Hoo sighed and nodded.

"I'm gonna go, buddy. I'll take care of this, OK?" He gave Ji Hoo a reassuring pat on the shoulder. Ji Hoo nodded again. "Thanks." Ji Hoo smiled weakly at Woo Bin and they clasped hands.

Woo Bin left. Ji Hoo released a heavy sigh and returned to the living room. Jan Di sat drinking tea with Grandfather. She'd been a little rattled at first, but Grandfather had helped to calm her. Ji Hoo wasn't sure what to say to Jan Di. He didn't want to worry her.

Ji Hoo sat down beside Jan Di. He sighed and slapped his hands against his knees.

"Sunbae, are you alright?"

He nodded, looking down. He glanced over at her, noticing her hand. It had been cut when she was knocked down by one of the thugs that broke into her apartment. There was a small gash on her hand and the blood had dried. Ji Hoo rose immediately and went for the first aid kit. He brought it back and sat beside Jan Di. He fumbled through the first aid kit. He sighed and grasped her hand more roughly than she was accustomed. He began to rub ointment on her cut.

As he massaged in the ointment, he released a frustrated sigh. "Babo…"

"What?" She muttered, shocked to hear him say such a thing.

"Ji Hoo-yah," Grandfather subtly warned. Ji Hoo grew quiet. Grandfather looked between them and decided to take his leave.

Ji Hoo pulled gauze out of the kit, clipped it, and began to wrap it around her hand.

"What were you thinking?" He chided, as he tied the gauze around her hand.

Jan Di's lips parted. Is he angry with me?

He looked her in the eyes, a serious expression on his face. "You should never go into your home when you suspect that something is wrong!"

"Oh, um, right…"

"This could have been much more serious…" Ji Hoo didn't even want to think about the multitude of terrible things that could have happened to her. "You promised me that you were going to be more careful after the club incident… Do you know how worried I was?" He continued to reprimand her. "Do you know what it would do to m—Joon Pyo—if something happened to you?" He exhaled sharply, as he finished bandaging her hand.

"I'm sorry, Sunbae," she said, doe-eyed. He released her hand. He put his head in his hands and leaned forward.

Ji Hoo looked at her and sighed, knowing he could never remain angry with her. "No, I'm the one who is sorry… I wasn't there to protect you…"

"Sunbae, it's OK, I'm alright…"

"No! It's not OK… I wasn't there to protect you… That scum laid his filthy hands on you, and I wasn't there to stop it… I failed you," he continued to berate himself.

Jan Di put her hand over his. "Sunbae, you didn't fail me… You could never fail me… And anyway, it's not your responsibility to always protect me."

"I thought I was your firefighter…," he said dejectedly.

"You are my firefighter. And you always will be…" she looked down sheepishly, wondering how he took the infinite nature of that comment. "But I do have to take care of myself, too. You can't always be there to protect me… Even firefighters get a day off now and then," she smiled at him, hoping to ease the tension.

"I don't ever want a day off from you…" he whispered tenderly.

He looked into her eyes with an intense gaze and then glanced down at the hand that he'd tended to. He took her hand in both of his. He brought it to his lips and kissed it softly. And then he kissed it again. And again.

"S-S-Sunbae…," she stammered, but she did not attempt to reclaim her hand. Her heart threatened to beat through her chest.

He stopped kissing her hand, and their eyes met again. He smiled at her tenderly, but somehow he looked pained. He suddenly took her shoulders and pulled her into a tight embrace. He felt her shiver against him. The rapid beating of her heart against his chest suggested that he was having an impact.

"I should be… I should always be there to protect you… And if you allowed me, I would always be there to protect you…" he whispered against her hair. What am I saying?!

What is he saying?!

"But I thought…" Jan Di began.

He brought her back at arms length. He ran his hands down her small but sturdy arms, and he felt himself begin to lean in ever so slowly. His hair brushed against her forehead, and their noses touched ever so slightly. Woo Bin had been right, he wasn't thinking clearly. Or perhaps, things were clearer than ever now…

As he leaned in, he saw Joon Pyo's face. He remembered the promise he'd made, and he stopped. Jan Di was frozen in terrified exhilaration. She'd shrunken down, and her eyes were closed. He exhaled sharply and took his hands off her. Her eyes fluttered open hesitantly. He felt like he was toying with her, though that couldn't be further from the truth.

He leaned forward and sighed. "I, uh, hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way… I just meant that I would always be here for you, to protect you, as a friend…" he lied weakly.

Jan Di's lips parted. She nodded, looking down. It was clear that his words had once again hurt her. "Thanks."

She paused. "…I'm kind of tired," she said weakly.

"Oh, yes of course. You take my bed."

"That's really not necessary."

"No, you've had a rough day. You should take it and get a good night's rest."

"OK, well thanks," she bowed automatically and headed toward the bathroom.

Once she'd left the room, Ji Hoo sighed heavily and leaned back against the headrest of the couch, sinking further into the abyss.

*** 

Author note: Kkangpae is the name for the Korean mafia or street gang. Babo means fool/idiot