Heart to Heart

Like the Lotus

Ji Hoo made breakfast for Jan Di, Grandfather, and himself. He decided upon his comfort food, pancakes, since all of them had been having a bit of a rough time lately. He helped Grandfather to the table. Grandfather shoved him off with a wave of his hand, insisting that he not be treated like an invalid. Ji Hoo smiled. Grandfather had been getting around a bit better the past couple of days. His condition was still a very real concern though, and there was talk of a needed, yet controversial surgery. Grandfather knew of the surgery, but Ji Hoo had been doing a lot of extra research on it and talking to a few specialists for input.

Ji Hoo went to the bedroom and encouraged Jan Di to come to breakfast when ready. Jan Di joined Ji Hoo and Grandfather for breakfast. She sat on the side between Ji Hoo and Grandfather, who sat across from each other. She warmly greeted Grandfather. Grandfather gave a gruff "good morning," but his fondness for Jan Di and her smile always melted away his grumpy pretenses. He smiled affectionately at her. "It's good to see you here again, Jan Di, child." She wondered if Ji Hoo had explained the situation to him. Jan Di smiled. "Well, it's good to be here having breakfast with both of you!" Grandfather smiled and chuckled warmly. Ji Hoo smiled to himself and passed her a plate of pancakes.

"How are you feeling, Grandfather?" Jan Di asked sincerely, after taking a bite of her pancakes.

"Ohhh, I'm fine, child. Don't worry about me." He chuckled.

She smiled fondly.

"So, what are you two kids doing today?" Grandfather asked, as he chewed.

Ji Hoo wiped his mouth with a cloth napkin and exchanged glances with Jan Di.

"Oh, well I was going to stop in at the clinic," Ji Hoo explained to Grandfather.

"And I should stop by and see my family." Jan Di explained.

Grandfather nodded and turned to Ji Hoo. "How's the new doctor doing?"

"Fine, Grandfather, everything is fine."

"Hmm, good." He said, putting a bite in his mouth.

"I'm glad that the clinic is open again, Grandfather, and I can't wait to help out again, but it's not the same without you there." Jan Di said.

Ji Hoo smiled at her across the table and went back to his breakfast.

"Well, don't get too used to me not being there! I'll be back before you know it!"

Ji Hoo smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that, Grandfather, but you make sure that you are completely well and rested before coming back."

"Hmmph," he grumbled.

"I agree with Jan Di that you shouldn't rush it." Ji Hoo said, looking up at Grandfather.

"Jan Di, would you tell this young'un to stop fussing so much over me…"

Ji Hoo shook his head, smiling, and continued with his breakfast.

"I'm sorry, Grandfather, but there's nothing I can do…" She grinned. He squinted at her and gave a chuckle.

The three finished their breakfast, making casual conversation. Jan Di shared their success on the exam with Grandfather, who gave them a hearty congratulation. Grandfather seemed highly pleased that Ji Hoo was studying to become a doctor. Ji Hoo had shared his grandfather and parents' wishes with Jan Di. He'd shared how much it meant to him to become a doctor. He was not simply doing it for Grandfather and his late parents. It was important to him, too. Jan Di was thankful to have someone to share in her passion with her. It was so nice having someone who understood when she talked on and on about it and who didn't think her crazy when she freaked out. The three finished breakfast. Jan Di bowed and excused herself.

After she left, Grandfather turned to Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo met his eyes. Grandfather studied him. The silence became a little uncomfortable for Ji Hoo. "What is it, Grandfather?" He finally asked.

"So, what's the story, young man?"

"Huh?"

"Jan Di. She was here all night?" Grandfather looked at Ji Hoo intently.

Ji Hoo cleared his throat. "Are you interrogating me, Grandfather?"

"Pssshhh!" Grandfather sputtered in disbelief. "Watch your tongue, young man. ...I'm just asking."

Ji Hoo folded his hands. He looked at Grandfather and sighed. "Jan Di was drugged last night at a club she went to with her friends."

Grandfather tightened his mouth. "Hmmm." He grumbled, looking down in consternation.

Ji Hoo continued. "Woo Bin called me last night to come meet him at the same club, and I ran into her there. I saw it happen and stopped the guy. Then I brought her here."

Grandfather nodded, a concerned expression remained on his face. The whole thing was upsetting to him, as well. He cared very much for Jan Di. "Well, I'm glad you showed up, my boy."

Ji Hoo sighed and nodded. Grandfather studied his grandson, who seemed preoccupied and saddened. He moved to put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder.

"Are you alright, my boy?"

Ji Hoo nodded, looking down.

"You love her, don't you?" Grandfather plainly asked.

Ji Hoo looked away and swallowed hard. Grandfather watched him, pained by the anguish on his grandson's face.

Ji Hoo could feel Grandfather's eyes upon him. Ji Hoo had always struggled with admitting his feelings. So many times he'd wanted to express himself, only to become frozen with fear and doubt. He was becoming very sick and tired of this paralysis.

"Yea, I do." He finally said. "…But there's nothing I can do about it. Her heart belongs to my best friend." Ji Hoo continued to look away, unconsciously clenching his fist. Grandfather patted him lightly on the back. Ji Hoo waited for some sage advice to come.

Grandfather sighed. "It's difficult when your head tells you to do something, but your heart tells you to ignore it."

Ji Hoo looked at Grandfather. He seemed to be speaking from experience. "Did you have to win over Grandmother, or did she like you right away?"

Grandfather chuckled. "Oh, I had to work very hard to win her over."

Ji Hoo smiled.

"Love is a tricky thing. It sneaks up on you. It happens when you least expect it. And sometimes you don't even realize it's happening until much later." He paused. "Did you tell the girl how you feel?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "I…uh…offered her Grandmother's ring…"

Grandfather looked at Ji Hoo, surprised. He rubbed his chin.

"But she turned me down. I guess I just realized too late. I've lost her for good now."

Grandfather thought for a moment. "Jan Di is a special girl. She seems to really care for you."

"She is. And she does. I don't doubt that. But she doesn't love me like I love her. That's the most frustrating part. Having her so close, yet out of reach…"

"Hmmm. Well, it seems to me that you can either put some distance between you two or deal with it!" Grandfather spouted.

Ji Hoo considered Grandfather's blunt words. "You're right."

"Well, whatever you decide, you do it soon, my boy. I'd like some great-grandchildren before I die!"

Ji Hoo shook his head, amused, and smirked at Grandfather.

 

Joon Pyo prepared to board his private plane. His assistant took his luggage and gave it to the baggage workers. Joon Pyo boarded the plane and took a seat, stretching his long legs. He was dressed in a new custom-made black suit from a New York designer. Alex arrived with her hair up and as sharply dressed as he. She wore a designer two piece navy skirt suit and striped button up. She took a seat across from Joon Pyo and crossed her similarly long, slender legs. She greeted him with a bright "Good morning." Joon Pyo nodded in acknowledgment and went back to reading meeting briefs that he'd pulled out. Alex smiled and took a magazine out of her bag. She pulled out a pair of cute black reading glasses and put them on. She looked at Joon Pyo over the glasses, grinned, and thumbed through the magazine.

Joon Pyo was not thrilled that Mr. Shim had suggested that Alex Lee share his private plane to Paris. He preferred flying alone. He hoped that she wouldn't attempt to make idle chitchat throughout the flight. Some business talk was OK, but he couldn't stand small talk. He simply didn't have the patience for it.

Joon Pyo looked over briefly. Alex appeared to be intently speed reading with her eyes through a U.S. business magazine. He smiled, appreciating that she hadn't pulled out some frivolous tabloid. He was also relieved that she appeared to be occupied. Perhaps the flight would be pleasant after all. He checked his phone messages and glanced at his wallpaper, a photo of Jan Di, before shutting the phone down. He closed his eyes and attempted to relax.

 

Jan Di decided to stop by her apartment before heading to see her family. She was greeted on arrival by Hye Jung, who immediately asked her if she was OK. Jan Di reassured her.

"I was worried when you didn't come home last night. You were with Ji Hoo Sunbae?" Hye Jung asked, eager for more details.

"Yes. I'm glad you made it home safely."

Jan Di had texted Ga Eul when she awoke and had learned that Woo Bin had taken the girls home.

Hye Jung nodded. "Your friend Woo Bin Sunbae took us home. You certainly have a lot of good-looking guy friends, Jan Di." Hye Jung laughed.

Jan Di smiled awkwardly. She could tell that Hye Jung was eager to ask more questions about what happened.

"Ji Hoo Sunbae didn't waste any time getting you out of there…" Hye Jung continued.

Jan Di nodded, still unsure of all the events that transpired.

"He was so angry. He's very protective of you…"

Jan Di nodded. She vaguely recalled the outraged tone of Ji Hoo's voice and him hitting the man after he took a swing at him.

"I thought he'd bring you home, but you never came. I waited for a while, but then I went to bed."

Jan Di cleared . "Well, I guess I must've passed out, and I woke up at his place and stayed for breakfast."

"Ahhh," Hye Jung uttered, as if this was some juicy piece of gossip.

"You two were alone all night…" Hye Jung continued. Apparently she had no shame when it came to inquiring about others' lives.

"Well, not exactly. His grandfather lives there, too."

Hye Jung nodded and studied Jan Di, waiting for further details.

"He didn't…" Hye Jung began.

"What?" Jan Di wondered clueless.

"Try….anything…."

"What?!" Jan Di stammered. "Of course not!"

"Just asking."

"Ji Hoo Sunbae is a perfect gentleman. He would never do something like that."

"Yea, he does seem to be that type." Hye Jung almost seemed disappointed that Jan Di didn't have a more exciting story to tell. Though Jan Di felt that the night had been way more excitement than she'd hoped for, and not the good kind.

"Though you were passed out, so…" Hye Jung continued.

Jan Di was becoming irritated. "Hye Jung, Ji Hoo Sunbae has complete respect for me. And he's not that kind of person. I appreciate your concern, but can we please stop talking about this now?" There was no doubt in Jan Di's mind that she was completely safe with Ji Hoo and that he would never take advantage of her, ever.

"I'm sorry. I was just worried."

Jan Di smiled. "I'm sorry. Thank you for worrying about me…I'm going to go visit my family for a little while. I'll be back later."

Hye Jung nodded. "See you later."

 

Jan Di hadn't seen her family in a while, though they kept in touch. She greeted them, and they excitedly hugged her and dragged her in for a large meal and chitchat. They asked a lot of questions about Joon Pyo, their future "son-in-law," especially her mother. Jan Di sat down in the living room and began dinner with the family. She told them about passing her first big exam and talked passionately about medical school. Most of it seemed to go over their heads. Kang san prattled on about how he'd been keeping up with Joon Pyo on the internet. He knew all about the merger with the Gyoh Group and the talks that would be taking place in Paris. Jan Di wasn't surprised that he had so much information.

"Noona, look at this!" Kang san pulled out his laptop. "This is Joon Pyo's new partner, Ms. Alex Lee." He pulled up a picture of her. She was very beautiful, Jan Di thought. Well, that answers that question.

"She's really beautiful and smart and already very successful in business even though she's only in her early 20s." Kang San related what he'd discovered from his homework. Jan Di's family ooh'ed and ahh'ed over Alex. Her mother, of course, made a statement about her not getting any ideas about Joon Pyo.

"Jan Di, are you worried about your fiancé going to Paris with such a beautiful woman?" Her mother tactlessly asked.

Jan Di shook her head. "Why should I be? She's his business partner. I trust Goo Joon Pyo. And besides, I never actually agreed to marry him."

Her mother gave her a disgusted look and dropped her head. "Well, of course you're going to marry him! Why wouldn't you?" She slapped Jan Di's arm.

Jan Di sighed. "Eomma, I didn't say I wasn't going to. I just said that I didn't agree to yet. That's a long ways away, anyway."

"Well, don't you let him slip away!" Her mother insisted.

Jan Di made a face. She loved her crazy family, but it was nice to now have the option of only getting small bursts of them. She felt badly about this thought. Before leaving they all expressed how proud they were of her. She smiled and warmly hugged each of them. It truly was nice seeing them, and she missed them, despite their wacky antics. She truly wouldn't have them any other way, she realized. She felt lucky to have such a caring family. She thought of how Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo Sunbae both had very different family experiences.

 

Ji Hoo headed to the clinic to check in on things. As he pulled up he got a call from Woo Bin.

"Yo, man." He greeted on the other end.

"Hey, how are you?"

"Good."

"You got the girls home last night?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Yea, no worries. You got Jan Di home, then?"

"Well, I took her to my place. She left this morning."

"Ahh."

"What?"

"Nothing."

"She had been drugged. I wanted to make sure she was OK." Ji Hoo was irked that he felt the need to explain himself.

"I got ya. …So, did you punch some guy last night?" Woo Bin queried. He was a little vague on last night, too.

"Yea." Ji Hoo replied.

"Whoa, man."

"He deserved it." Ji Hoo simply stated.

"No argument there, man. Just don't think I've ever seen you get like that."

Ji Hoo was silent for a moment. It wasn't like him. He'd briefly become a totally different person.

"Just wanted to make sure that you and Jan Di were OK," Woo Bin reassured.

"Yea. Everything's OK. She slept for a while, and she was much better this morning."

"Good."

"Well, I need to get going. But I'll hang out with you later." Ji Hoo said. They exchanged goodbyes and hung up. Ji Hoo parked and headed into the clinic.

 

Joon Pyo woke from his nap on the plane. He noticed that Alex was watching him, as she casually sipped a glass of wine.

She smiled when he looked over. "This is a nice plane you have here." She commented.

"Mm." He nodded.

"I think I like yours better than mine." She said. "We'll be landing in a few hours, so I thought we could go over the schedule."

Joon Pyo nodded.

"So, we will have a bit of time to get checked into the hotel, but then we'll need to go right over to the Gyoh Group Building for the meeting. If all goes well, perhaps we can finalize details over dinner."

He liked that she seemed confident. He nodded.

"How's your French?" She grinned.

"It's acceptable."

She nodded. "I see they put us in one of Shinwha's hotels. I'm eager to see it."

"You mean you've never stayed in one of Shinwha's hotels?"

"We avoided doing that for a while." She grinned. "But now that we're a team, I see no reason not to enjoy it." She said, brashly.

He cautioned her with his eyes. She smiled in return.

Joon Pyo checked his phone messages once more. He exited to see Jan Di once more on the home screen. Alex watched him as he gazed at the photo. "Can I see a picture of your girlfriend? She asked.

Joon Pyo scoffed. "Why would you want to see her picture?"

"I'm just curious. Killing time."

He rolled his eyes and reluctantly shoved the phone toward her. She leaned over and looked at the picture. "Oh, how adorable!" she squealed.

Joon Pyo rolled his eyes once more.

"She's very cute, Joon Pyo. What's she like?"

He sighed, not quite sure how best to describe Jan Di. "She's one of a kind."

"Ahh. How did you two meet?"

Joon Pyo found himself telling the story with a smile on his face. Alex smiled back and laughed at various points, as he related his first interaction with Jan Di.

"Sounds like you two have had quite a journey together."

"We have." He left out many details. They had been on an incredible journey together, so much joy and so much pain.

Joon Pyo was surprised at himself for opening up to Alex and telling her about Jan Di. He supposed he talked so much about her because he missed her. And despite Alex's boldness, she wasn't so bad to talk to. He found himself slowly becoming more comfortable with her.