The Dream & the Hospital

Like the Lotus

Ji Hoo grabbed the first suit he saw in his closet and dressed for dinner. After his rendezvous with Jan Di, he'd impulsively called up Woo Bin and agreed to the blind double date. He was regretting it now, but being the respectable guy he was, he decided to go through with it anyway. How much worse could his suffering be at an awkward dinner than at home? After all, Grandfather had insisted that he do something. He'd placate Grandfather.

Ji Hoo buttoned the sleeves on his white collared shirt and slipped his jacket on. He stopped by Grandfather's room. His nurse bowed and left, commenting that she would go to get his medication.

"Grandfather, I'm going out for a bit," he said, more to himself. Grandfather had been pouting the past few days after their disagreement and had basically been giving Ji Hoo the silent treatment.

Grandfather broke the days-long silence. "Where are you off to?" He mumbled without looking at Ji Hoo.

"I have a date." Ji Hoo replied, without looking at him.

"Hmmm, with who?" A sparkle of hope seemed to glimmer in Grandfather's eye.

"Just some blind date that Woo Bin set up."

Grandfather made a sour face and grumbled. "Hmmm, I see…"

"I won't be out long."

Grandfather sent him off with a disgruntled wave of his hand. Ji Hoo turned and Grandfather called him back. "You should stop by and pay Jan Di for the food the other day. You let her leave without payment."

Ji Hoo opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"And why don't you give her that gift you've been holding onto?"

"Grandfather, I don't know if…"

"Bah! Do what you're told, boy!"

"Alright, Grandfather, I'll see what I can do." Ji Hoo left the room with a roll of his eyes.

Grandfather shook his head as he watched Ji Hoo leave.


Jan Di could hear violin music and a child giggling in the next room. She cocked her head and walked toward the sound. As she moved toward the next room, she could hazily see two children playing, a little girl and boy. The girl appeared to be about 4 and the boy about 6. The girl had short dark hair pulled back with ribbons into tiny pigtails. She was playing with a doctor kit. The boy had dark auburn hair that was longer, and he was holding a tiny violin. He blew aside his messy bangs that had fallen across his face. Jan Di found herself drawn toward the children. She made her way closer and crouched down next to them. She put her arms around the little girl and beckoned the boy to come over. He scurried over and allowed her to pull him into a group hug with the little girl, as his violin and bow hung at his side. The touch and scent of them seemed so familiar, and an overwhelming feeling of love spread over her as she held them.

She heard herself whisper, "Mommy loves you!" The little girl and boy took turns placing a kiss on each of her cheeks. Then, she released them and encouraged them to go back to their play. She heard a door open and saw Ji Hoo walk in dressed in a lab coat. She now recognized they were in his home. He smiled brilliantly at her. The two children ran over to him, squealing "Daddy!" He crouched down and took them both in his arms as they collided with him. He kissed them both. He picked up the girl in his arms and carried her toward Jan Di, as the boy followed.

He delicately put the girl down and patted her head. He wrapped his arms around Jan Di's waist and proceeded to kiss her deeply. To her surprise, it felt completely natural, as if a million others had preceded it.
"Hello, darling," he greeted after breaking the kiss. Jan Di smiled and welcomed her husband home from work.


Jan Di jerked awake. She was lying awkwardly atop her Biochemistry book. She gasped. "What was that all about?" It was safe to say she was a little freaked out. Especially considering how real the dream had felt. A warm feeling spread throughout her entire body. She had to literally shake it off. Did the dream mean something? She picked up her phone with the urge to call Ga Eul. Perhaps her friend could analyze the unexpected dream. She stopped. She couldn't help but feel a bit guilty for her subconscious mind.

She pulled out her drawer. Both Joon Pyo's necklace and Ji Hoo's bracelet were nestled among her other belongings. She had been wearing the necklace but had taken it off for some reason she didn't recall. She hadn't worn the bracelet since Ji Hoo had given it to her. Not because she didn't like it, but because she wasn't quite sure what the bracelet would say. She didn't want to send any messages, at least not until she made sense of her own convoluted feelings.

She looked between the necklace and the bracelet. She ran her hand along each. The necklace held so many memories for her, some wonderful and some painful. It was a representation of the love she and Joon Pyo had and the journey they had been through. And it was a promise.

But the bracelet also held importance. What was it a symbol of? Friendship? Or perhaps a kind of love… She suddenly felt very sentimental, and her heart ached. She stared for a long moment and clasped the bracelet on her wrist.


Ji Hoo waited for Woo Bin outside the restaurant. It was very close to Christmas, but the cold was bearable.

He released a heavy sigh and shoved his hands into his pockets. What am I doing? He'd convinced himself that he owed it to Joon Pyo to try to move on. He needed to at least try. If it ever did come down to friendship or love, he honestly didn't know which he would choose. He wasn't impulsive, yet he feared destroying everything in a moment of weakness. He'd shared a moment of weakness with Jan Di once before, their first and only real kiss.

But it wasn't a moment of weakness he worried about the most. He'd given great deliberation to his situation over the years. He was confident of what, who, was required for his happiness, but his mind kept throwing road blocks at him. He was a man of patience, honor, and self-restraint, even self-sacrifice, perhaps… He couldn't seem to get past it. There were times when he could sense Jan Di's confusion, when he sensed that she may actually feel something more than friendship for him. It had been further reason to pull back. The slightest chance that she could love him like he loved her simultaneously exhilarated and terrified him. If she ever chose him, what would he do? The point seemed moot now. For now, he couldn't even accept her platonic affection.


Woo Bin strode up a few minutes later with a girl on his arm and another walking next to them. Ji Hoo assumed this would be his date. Woo Bin released the girl he was walking with and clasped Ji Hoo's hand. "Hey buddy." Ji Hoo nodded.

"This is my date Park Ji-Min, and this is Gok Sun-Young." Woo Bin presented Gok Sun-Young. She approached Ji Hoo. She smiled and bowed. There was nothing wrong with the girl. She wore a black mini dress and heels. She had a lovely face and seemed sweet. Ji Hoo bowed politely in response.

Woo Bin put his arm around his date's waist and escorted her into the restaurant. Ji Hoo and Sun-Yong followed behind. Ji Hoo held the door and bid her to enter silently, without touching her. The four were shown to their seats. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin held out a chair for each of the girls. Ji Hoo took a seat. With a deep breath, he took a look at his menu.

Sensing Ji Hoo's apprehension and knowing all too well his introverted nature, Woo Bin facilitated the conversation. "Yo man, Sun-Young is a musician like you," he said, hoping to get the ball rolling.

Ji Hoo gave an apathetic nod. His personality always made him seem standoffish. Out of politeness he asked, "What do you play?"

"Harp. What do you play?"

Ji Hoo detailed the instruments he was familiar with matter-of-factly. Sun-Young listened intently, clearly impressed by his range.

"That's great," she said, "I go to the musical college."

He nodded.

"You look so familiar. Have you conducted at the Soam Foundation?"

"Yes."

"That's where I know you!" She exclaimed, pointing a finger at him. "Your orchestra is very impressive."

He thanked her.

"Nice to see you two getting along," Woo Bin slyly commented. Ji Hoo glared daggers at him.

The four didn't get far into their dinner before Ji Hoo received a call. He excused himself briefly. He came back moments later and explained to the group that he needed to leave. There'd been an emergency with his grandfather.

Ji Hoo plunked down some money for the dinner and rushed out of the restaurant. Sun-Young watched him leave. Woo Bin frowned and exchanged a concerned glance with the girls. Woo Bin finished dinner quickly and took the girls home. He decided to call Jan Di before heading to the hospital.


Jan Di answered her phone. "Woo Bin Sunbae?"

She gasped. "Ok. Thank you for letting me know, Woo Bin Sunbae." Jan Di hung up the phone and grabbed her coat and purse. Heedlessly, she rushed out of her apartment.


Ji Hoo rushed to the emergency room of Seoul hospital and asked for Grandfather's room number. He'd been so disoriented and in such a rush that it wasn't clear how he'd arrived safely. He'd rushed out before Woo Bin could offer to take him.

The ER nurse gave Ji Hoo Grandfather's room number, and he made his way there. Ji Hoo entered very slowly, apprehensive. He saw Grandfather lying there unconscious, hooked up to machines. He could hear the slow beeps indicating his vital signs. Ji Hoo went to his side and stood there. He began to shake lightly and his chest was aching. He watched Grandfather for a moment before stepping out to find his doctor.

Jan Di made her way to the hospital without thinking. Woo Bin had informed her that Grandfather had collapsed and was in serious condition at the hospital. Her only objective was to get there and be there for Grandfather and Ji Hoo. Any thoughts of their recent rift had flown out of her head. She had been in walking distance, so she'd run there. Disheveled and breathing heavily, she arrived at the hospital. She got the room information and headed to Grandfather's room. As she approached the ER, she saw Ji Hoo across the long sterile hallway, talking to a doctor. She was temporarily overcome with emotion at seeing him. Her insides were twisted in knots, as she was overtaken by both joy and sadness. She felt incredible joy at seeing him again, after what seemed like a very long time. But at the same time, she ached. She ached for the pain and stress he must be feeling. She realized that she had been aching to see him, as well.

She slowly made her way closer, noticing his calm demeanor. She knew him well enough to tell that he was a mess inside. She continued to slowly move down the hall toward him. He hadn't seen her yet. She suddenly felt very apprehensive. How would he react to her being there? Would he be angry that she came? She recalled their last interaction. She didn't care. She wouldn't stay away during such a time.

She watched him nod and bow to the doctor. The doctor turned and walked away. She watched him bow his head and shut his eyes, wearily. Outwardly, he looked impeccable. He was dressed in a suit. She assumed he must have come from a concert or something. But she could tell that he was in complete disarray inside. She watched him gradually turn toward her.

He froze upon noticing her and his lips parted. She moved closer. She faced him, a few feet away. "Sunbae…" She stammered. Her face was a mixture of nervousness and compassion. She could feel the early signs of tears.

She watched him stare silently for a moment, his chest heaving. His eyes were a pinkish color. They stood there for what seemed an interminable time, staring at each other. She waited for a response such as "what are you doing here?" or "you didn't need to come," but instead he closed the gap and threw his arms around her neck. He leaned into her and squeezed her tightly. She felt herself welling up. She wrapped her arms around him, too. She wanted to whisper something encouraging, but she had no words. So, she just remained there, and they held each other.

They broke the embrace slowly after a time. "Jan Di…" He said her name. He didn't sound angry, but rather sad and tender.

"Sunbae, I heard that Grandfather had an emergency, so I came. I'm sorry if I shouldn't have. I just felt like I needed to be here."

He looked at her affectionately. "Thank you."

She nodded. "How's Grandfather?" She asked, hesitantly.

Ji Hoo sighed. "He's stable, but he needs emergency surgery. They're taking him down soon."

Jan Di nodded. "I'm so sorry…What's the prognosis?"

He sighed again. "It's risky, but it's his only option right now. He has maybe a 50% chance of survival…" Ji Hoo paused, as the gravity of the situation hit him. "If he survives the surgery, it could improve his quality of life. If he doesn't have it, though, he probably won't live much longer. It's something that's been a discussion for a while. I didn't expect to have to make the decision today, though…"

Jan Di touched his arm tenderly. "Can we see him?" He nodded, and she clutched his arm as they walked together to Grandfather's room. They entered Grandfather's room and stood near his bedside. Jan Di looked upon Grandfather and put her hand over his.

"Grandfather," she began. "It's Jan Di…"

"….I remember the first time I met you. You came into the porridge shop and asked for JaJangMyeon, even though it wasn't on the menu. You insulted the restaurant and Master's food and tried to pay with a fish." Ji Hoo smiled; he'd been unaware of the story.

"You kept coming back. We got used to seeing you in there. At first, I thought you were a little bit crazy…" She chuckled awkwardly. Ji Hoo smiled beside her. "But as I got to know you, I realized how kind you really were…and that you were just lonely." She paused, her eyes becoming moist with tears. Ji Hoo looked down and clenched his jaw.

"I remember when you told me I reminded you of the lotus blossom. And you told me that my homework was to find out why it bloomed in muddy waters. It took me awhile, but I finally found out." She grinned. Ji Hoo's lips parted. He recalled the monk saying something similar, and he recalled answering Jan Di's question.

"I didn't realize how important you would be in my life, Grandfather. Because of you I found my passion in life again….and…you stood up for me…and you gave me a place to live. You have been like family to me. So, you have to get better!" She squeezed his hand once before dropping her hand to her side.

Ji Hoo watched Jan Di. Several tears had escaped and rolled down her cheeks. He turned her to him and wiped them away once more. He put an arm around her, and they looked upon Grandfather.


A nurse stopped in and told the two that they would be taking him down for surgery soon. Ji Hoo nodded and bowed to her. Ji Hoo released Jan Di and moved closer to Grandfather's bedside. Grandfather remained unconscious, his breathing slow but steady. Ji Hoo opened his mouth to speak but his words caught in his throat. Jan Di stepped back. "Would you like a moment alone?" She asked softly. "It's Ok," he replied, catching her by the wrist and pulling her closer. He hesitated before saying, "Your presence gives me strength." Her lips parted slightly. He released her wrist, and she remained by his side.

"Grandfather," Ji Hoo began. "Mian-hae…" His eyes looked puffy and red but remained dry. She could tell that he was on the verge of crying but was attempting to remain strong.

"I'm sorry that we argued the other day. And I'm sorry for….the time that we lost. But…" He paused. "…Having you in my life for the past year has been…I'm so thankful for it. I got so used to be alone, but now I can't imagine not having you here with me." Jan Di noticed the tears beginning to fight for release at his tear ducts. She bowed her head. Silently, tenderly, she slipped her hand into his. He shivered lightly at the touch. He took a deep breath and gave her a grateful squeeze.

"Stay with me, please…" He continued, watching Grandfather.

Not long after, several nurses came in and took Grandfather out on a stretcher to surgery. Ji Hoo watched them taking him away in a daze. Jan Di watched him sympathetically, as he took a seat in the chair next to Grandfather's empty hospital bed. Ji Hoo exhaled and rubbed his temples. He looked up at Jan Di. "It means a lot that you came," he said sincerely.

She nodded. "I couldn't stay away. When Woo Bin Sunbae told me about it, I was on my way here before I even realized what I was doing. I hope it's OK that I'm here."

A sad smile appeared on Ji Hoo's lips, and he looked down at the floor. "It's OK. Actually, I'm glad you're here." He replied without looking at her. "Thank you." He finally looked up and met her eyes affectionately. She returned the tender expression.

He released a sigh. "It's going to be awhile before he's out of surgery. Can I take you home?"

She shook her head. "I'd like to stay. If it's OK with you…"

He exhaled and nodded appreciatively. They sat next to each other in the waiting room. She watched him for a while, as he leaned forward and stared at the speckled alabaster floor, the scent of disinfectant heady in the air. Clearly, he had so many thoughts going through his head.

"I lost so much time," he murmured, after a while. "I was too stubborn."

Jan Di remained silent and listened, wishing she could comfort him.

"I shouldn't have left him tonight." He continued, guiltily.

"I don't think there was anything more you could have done. You've done everything you can for him." She replied.

"Still…will I continue to lose everyone that I love?" He asked, more hypothetically to the room.

"You haven't lost him. He can make it through this. He's strong!" Jan Di replied confidently.

Ji Hoo looked at her and smiled. "Yes, he is…"

"We just have to believe that he will make it through this." She said. He nodded and looked down, wringing his hands.

"Sunbae, you shouldn't blame yourself…Grandfather loves you so much…he's so happy to be back in your life."

Ji Hoo nodded. "Though we missed a lot, I've treasured the time we've had."

Jan Di looked at him sympathetically.

He sighed again and looked over at Jan Di. "I didn't know about those stories…about the fish and the lotus…" He smiled.

"Ah, yes…" She chuckled.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo spent the next few hours reminiscing and exchanging stories about Grandfather. They found themselves smiling and laughing a lot. Woo Bin stopped by for a brief period to check in. As he left, he smiled, realizing Ji Hoo was in good hands.

The night turned to early morning. It was as if nothing had happened between them. He was not pushing her away but rather pulling her back in. She wanted to understand, but convinced herself that it was simply the situation. Jan Di didn't want to bring up their rift at a time like this. They continued to pass the time talking, mostly about Grandfather.

They began to grow weary, but both refused to leave or sleep. Jan Di brought coffee from the vending machine. They took a walk together down the hall, sipping their coffee. They returned to the waiting room, to the vinyl chairs they'd been occupying for hours. Ji Hoo leaned back. Jan Di propped up her head in her hand against the armrest. Ji Hoo watched her blinking, fighting sleep. It wasn't long before her head began to droop and slowly slide off her hand. He caught her and put his arms around her to steady her. He laid her back in the most comfortable position he could. She blinked at him and shut her eyes once more. She fell fast asleep against his arm. He breathed in the familiar scent her lilac shampoo. He gazed at her. Ji Hoo looked down and noticed that she was wearing the bracelet he gave her. He gaped and smiled. He leaned closer and d her cheek with his free hand. Then, he kissed her head and rested his head against hers. He closed his eyes and whispered, "Thank you."