Joo-Won

Like the Lotus

After the party, Woo Bin and Ji Hoo talked in the next room. "That was some party, man," Woo Bin commented.

"Yea."

"You really went to a lot of trouble."

"It wasn't all that much trouble. I had help. I really just set things in motion. Ga Eul did all of the decorating."

"I was kinda surprised. You hate parties," Woo Bin said.

"Yea, but I just wanted to make her happy," Ji Hoo replied earnestly.

"Well, I think you did. I think I should extend you an invitation to the players' club," Woo Bin grinned.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "I'm no player."

"I know, man, I know. Still, you could give Yi Jeong and me a run for our money if you keep doing stuff like this…"

Ji Hoo shook his head.

Woo Bin sighed. "The players' club is getting a lot smaller these days…now that all my brothers are whipped." He grinned at Ji Hoo and patted him on the back.

"You calling me whipped?" Ji Hoo asked incredulously.

Ji Hoo put him in a quick headlock, and Woo Bin slipped out, chuckling.

"But seriously, man, do you think you went a little overboard?"

"What do you mean?

"Well, you got her a puppy, arranged a party for her, flew in her family, and took her for a day trip…"

Ji Hoo frowned. Perhaps I did go a little overboard…

Woo Bin gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm kind of concerned about you, man."

"Why?"

Woo Bin sighed. "Well, just seems like you're getting pretty attached."

"Attached?" Ji Hoo scoffed. He and "attached" were old friends. "I'm way past attached. I know there's not much hope for me getting a happy ending on this path, but I can't seem to stop myself…" Ji Hoo paused. "Guess I'm pretty pathetic, huh?"

"Nah man…" Woo Bin put a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder. Ji Hoo sighed.

"So, what will you do?" Woo Bin asked.

"What I've always done…be her friend."

Woo Bin gave him another sympathetic look and slapped him on the back. "Well, I'm gonna go, man. Thanks for the invite." Ji Hoo smiled and nodded to him.


The party had since ended and everyone had left. Grandfather was in bed. Jan Di put out more food and water for her puppy. Ji Hoo had thought of everything. He'd gotten food and even dog toys. She tried to come up with a name for the puppy, as she played with him.

Ji Hoo came into the living room and watched Jan Di play with the dog for a moment. He smiled. "Have you thought of a name for him yet?"

She looked up and smiled. She shook her head. "No, not yet." She gave the puppy a scratch behind his ears and stood. "Any ideas, Sunbae?"

"How about Fluffy?" Ji Hoo blurted, without giving it much thought.

"Fluffy?" Jan Di made a face. "That's a little generic, Sunbae." He laughed.

Jan Di grew serious and rose. "Sunbae, I just wanted to thank you again for everything… It all meant so much to me..."

He put his hands in his pockets. "You're welcome. It was nothing, really," he said, straight-faced.

"It wasn't nothing…" She approached him slowly. "…you always do so much for me, and I can never even come close to repaying all of your kindness." She continued to approach him.

Ji Hoo didn't want to resort to some sappy line, so he simply said, "You don't owe me anything; I've told you that."

"Still, I feel kind of guilty." She stood before him. He looked down at her, his hands still in his pockets.

She put her arms around his neck. He took his hands out of his pockets and slowly wrapped his arms around her back. "Thank you again, Sunbae…for everything you do, for today and for every day." He nodded against her.

They remained in each other's embrace a bit longer. Jan Di broke the hug and looked up at him. He returned her gaze. To his surprise, she rose up on her toes and placed a kiss on his cheek. She smiled and glanced downward and went back to the puppy. "Don't worry, I'll take care of him, so you don't have to do a thing!" She exclaimed, cheerfully.

Ji Hoo smiled tenderly. "Really?"

She nodded, smiling. She pulled the dog onto her lap on the couch. He hadn't fully thought the idea of having a dog through, he had to admit. It had been a rather impulsive decision after recalling her desire for a puppy, and impulsive decisions weren't exactly his forte. Ji Hoo sat beside her on the couch. The puppy now had its paws on her chest and was at her face. Jan Di laughed. "Sunbae, do you want to pet him?"

Ji Hoo looked over at the dog and gave its fur a quick tousle. Jan Di picked up the dog and placed it on his lap. Ji Hoo stared down at it. The puppy began to paw at his shirt and whimper. Ji Hoo began to pet it some more. The puppy started to climb up Ji Hoo and try to his face. Ji Hoo pulled back and kept the puppy at bay with his hand. Jan Di laughed. "What's the matter, Sunbae? Don't like dogs?"

"Sure, I like dogs; I just don't want one my face…"

Jan Di chuckled, as he wrestled with the puppy. "Did you have any pets in the house as a kid?" She immediately regretted asking, in case he was still emotional from visiting his parents' grave site that day. She looked down.

"No, not in the house. Just my horse." The puppy continued to attempt to give Ji Hoo kisses. When it failed to his face it began to his hands.

"I think he likes you, Sunbae." Jan Di giggled.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. The puppy was cute, but puppy affection didn't quite take care of his needs. Ji Hoo put the puppy down on the floor and tossed a ball across the room. The puppy ran after it.


Joon Pyo woke up on Alex's couch. A blanket had been strewn over him, and a pillow was behind his head. He blinked and rubbed his eyes, as he took in his surroundings. Joon Pyo had been concerned about Hyun-Woo coming back, so he'd been hesitant to leave Alex alone. They ended up talking most of the night, and he'd fallen asleep on the couch. He supposed that Alex must have covered him up before going to bed.

Alex came out of her bedroom dressed for the day. "Good morning," she gave him a quick smile and headed toward the kitchen. She'd revealed a lot about herself the night before, so she was feeling a bit vulnerable.

Joon Pyo and Alex had a long talk the night before. She had kept her reasoning a secret for dating Hyun-Woo, but she'd told him other things. She told him about Joo-Won, for one.

Alex and Joo-Won met at an art exhibit. Joo-Won had a piece in the show and had come out to greet the guests. He was a nice looking man, with a gentle face, and sparkling eyes. They'd caught each other's eye from across the room, which Alex felt a bit silly to say. Alex had remained at the exhibit until the crowd died down, and Joo-Won had approached her. He struck up a conversation about art, without revealing right away that she was looking at his own piece. She went on and on about it, analyzing the piece, and he finally smiled and gave a chuckle. He revealed it was his own. They talked until the exhibit closed. He was sweet, gentle, and articulate. He appeared to be of meager status, but she couldn't care less about that.

He asked her out for coffee after the exhibit, and she refused. Her heart was freshly broken by Hyun-Woo at the time. He took her rejection well, which she wasn't used to. She left that night and went home thinking all night about the mysterious, sparkling-eyed artist. Their brief interaction stuck with her for weeks. She felt ridiculous about not being able to get him out of her head. She began to regret saying no to him and wondered if she'd ever see him again. She found herself going to more exhibits at the off chance that she might run into him again. Several months later, she did. Again, he was showing a piece.

It was a painting of a woman that bore a strong resemblance to her. She saw the likeness but refused to be so self-assured as to think that she could have inspired it. Still, wouldn't that have been foolishly romantic? The painting had been entitled "Kismet," which meant destiny or fate. At first, she scoffed at the title. Fate? Did such a silly thing really exist?

They glanced at each other shyly before he finally approached her. She played it cool. She verified that the painting was indeed his this time before discussing it. He laughed and said that it was his. He asked her if the girl in the painting looked familiar. She told him "vaguely" but that she couldn't place her. He told her to give it some thought, and she should recognize the model. She asked if he truly believed in fate, and he replied that he did now. She laughed at the cheesy line, but he was so convincing in his sincerity.

He asked her out after the exhibit again, and this time she agreed. They had coffee and talked all night until they were asked to leave at closing. They took a long walk together and shared so much more than Alex would have ever dreamed to share with a complete stranger.

Joo-Won was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. He was the exact opposite of Hyun-Woo. He patiently courted her until she felt ready, and they embarked upon a beautifully passionate relationship. Joo-Won's love for her was tender and honest; whereas Hyun-Woo's had been fiery and intense. Both men had managed to work their magic on her, but in very different ways.

Alex and Joo-Won were practically inseparable for 6 months, which they kept a secret from her family. Joo-Won didn't have the social standing to be approved of by her parents. It caused arguments sometimes. Joo-Won would insist that she give him a chance. He assured her that he would prove his love for her to her family, but she was afraid. He remained understanding and stood by her side, but things quickly turned sour.

Her family found out about him, and so did Hyun-Woo. Her father did everything in his power to make it impossible for Joo-Won to be with Alex, even attempting to ruin him in the art world. Alex couldn't stand it, and she also feared Hyun-Woo's retaliation, so she pushed Joo-Won away. She lied and told him she didn't love him and banished him from her life.

He didn't go away, though, and he kept trying for months upon months, until finally he stopped trying. And she hadn't seen or heard from him since. She kept hoping that she would run into him one day after she came to her senses, but she never did. He'd apparently disappeared from the art scene. All she had left of him was some memorabilia from their dates and the painting of her that he'd gifted.

Alex told Joon Pyo about this. She wasn't sure why. She trusted Joon Pyo, and she felt as though she could tell him anything now. In a way, Joon Pyo reminded her of Joo-Won. Joon Pyo was actually like the best of both worlds of the two significant men who had been in her life. He was passionate and driven like Hyun-Woo but also sweet and caring like Joo-Won.

Joon Pyo had listened and been understanding. He'd even suggested trying to find Joo-Won for her, but she told him that it would surely be too late to reconcile now. She told him she'd moved on. For the longest time that would have been a lie, but now she was truly beginning to believe that she had moved on, or at least had the desire to.

That morning, Alex was still a bit concerned after Joon Pyo punched Hyun-Woo. She feared he might retaliate. She only hoped her performance the night before had been convincing.

"Coffee?" she called in to Joon Pyo.

"Yea, sure," he mumbled, as he rose from the couch.

Alex looked at her phone. "Damn!"

"What is it?" Joon Pyo looked over at her.

"You have to go!" She pulled Joon Pyo by the sleeve and yanked him toward the door.

"Hey, watch it! What's wrong?"

"Hyun-Woo is coming over… He can't find you here! He'll be insanely jealous and angry; he won't accept that this was completely innocent."

Alex looked through the peephole and saw Hyun-Woo striding toward her door. "Oh no, he's already here…" Alex looked around the room panicked. She dragged Joon Pyo to a closet. He began to protest but she covered his mouth and shoved him inside the closet. "Now, be quiet…," she whispered.

Hyun-Woo knocked, and Alex opened the door. "Hyun-Woo, good morning."

"Good morning," he replied and strolled into the apartment.

They exchanged a few pleasantries.

"You know, Hyun-Woo, there is an amazing breakfast place I'd love to go to. Why don't we go now?"

"OK, but what's the rush?" He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

Alex cleared and gave a short laugh. "What are you doing, Hyun-Woo?" She turned her head to the side when Hyun-Woo attempted to kiss her and put her hands up to keep him at bay. Alex skillfully avoided his kiss and instead opted for a hug. Then, she pulled back.

Joon Pyo peeked out from the closet.

"You're not angry about last night, are you?" She decided to jump right into it.

"Well, I was at first, but I realized that you chose the right side." He pulled her in again and squeezed tighter.

"The right side?"

"Yes, you're sticking to our agreement…" He began to place kisses along her jawline and down her neck. Joon Pyo tightened his jaw, as her peered out. He clutched at the edge of the closet door, preparing to make his presence known. This was stupid, after all. The great Goo Joon Pyo, CEO of Shinwha Corporation, hiding in a closet! But he thought of Alex and stopped himself.

"Hyun-Woo, come on, stop it…" Hyun-Woo and Alex heard a small thump from across the room.

"What was that?" Hyun-Woo demanded.

"Oh, that? It's my heating and cooling system. It's been on the fritz," she replied calmly.

Hyun-Woo looked around the room suspiciously. He released Alex and began to pace, surveying the room. Alex watched nervously, half-expecting him to start opening doors, but she kept her poker face on.

"Shall we go then?" She asked, completely poised.

He looked back to her. He squinted at her and studied her expression. She maintained her composure.

"Yes," he finally said.

"OK, let's take separate cars. I have a meeting after. You go first. I'm going to touch myself up, and then I'll be right behind you."

Hyun-Woo looked at her, distrusting. Then, he nodded and she ushered him out. Once she knew he was out of sight, she pulled Joon Pyo from the closet. "Aish, Alex…"

"Sorry about that. You better get going. I'll see you later." Alex sent him out the back way. She sighed and went to get her purse.

Joon Pyo left Alex's penthouse and suddenly had a terrible realization. Yesterday had been Jan Di's birthday, and he had been so preoccupied with the situation with Hyun-Woo and Alex that it'd completely slipped his mind. He slapped his head and pulled out his phone. He'd lavish her with gifts to make amends.


Later that day, Hyun-Woo, Mr. Lee, Mr. Kwon, and Mr. Shim met in Mr. Lee's office. The men chatted about liquor and cigars before getting down to business.

"I think this merger is an excellent idea, and I want nothing more," Mr. Lee began, "But, Joon Pyo, I'd like to have him on board." Mr. Shim nodded. "As would I. Without Joon Pyo on our team, we lose Shinwha."

Hyun-Woo rubbed his chin. "Yes, it's very unfortunate that he's not being cooperative. Perhaps we can convince him somehow..."

Mr. Kwon and Mr. Shim looked to Hyun-Woo incredulously. "How?"

"Perhaps Ms. Lee could assist us in this," Hyun-Woo suggested.

"How so?" Mr. Lee asked.

"She seems to have influence with Joon Pyo. Perhaps she could convince him to get on board."

Mr. Lee grew pensive. "Perhaps…though, I don't know that she would take such a suggestion. She's rather stubborn if you hadn't noticed." The men laughed.

"I'll talk with her," Hyun-Woo replied, grinning. "Just leave it to me and prepare the paperwork, gentlemen."

The men seemed placated and took their leave, aside from Mr. Lee and Hyun-Woo. Mr. Lee offered Hyun-Woo a scotch.

"Do you really think you can convince him?" Mr. Lee asked, taking a drink.

Hyun-Woo took a drink and grinned. "Yes, I believe I can," he replied, assuredly.

"And how are things with Alex?" Mr. Lee asked.

"Things are good. She's finally come to her senses…"

Mr. Lee nodded. "And you won't tell her anything about…"

Hyun-Woo put up a hand. "Of course not, that's our little secret. Alex never needs to know…"

"Good," Mr. Lee replied, but he couldn't help feeling apprehensive.

Alex had arrived moments before. Her hand was poised to knock at her father's door when she overheard the end of her father and Hyun-Woo's conversation. She stopped, blinking. Her expression grew somber. She suddenly felt a knot forming in her stomach. What were they talking about? She suddenly had a terrible feeling.

Hyun-Woo left the office and noticed Alex standing on the other side. "Dinner at 7," he said, as more a command than a request.

She looked at him, hazily, and nodded. He gave her a quick nod and strode past her.


Hyun-Woo left the office and headed toward his massive limo. His driver opened his door, and he slid in. He leaned against the window, two fingers pressed into his temple, and the wheels turning in his head. He'd suspected that Alex was hiding something, or someone…today at her penthouse, and he had a pretty good idea of who it was. His suspicions had been confirmed when he'd noticed Joon Pyo's car out front. He brought his fist down to his pant leg and tightened it hard. He made a call to arrange a meeting with Joon Pyo

Joon Pyo had agreed to the meeting with Hyun-Woo. He had some things to discuss with him. He hoped he'd be able to remain calm. He didn't want to cause more problems for Alex. Still, he would not be intimidated by Hyun-Woo. He wracked his brain, bewildered by why Alex would give in to Hyun-Woo. Did she truly have feelings for him? Or, was something else going on… He feared that Alex was being manipulated.

Hyun-Woo had invited Joon Pyo to his own overstated penthouse. Joon Pyo was buzzed up and ushered by a pompous doorman and escorted inside to Hyun-Woo.

"Goo Joon Pyo, thank you for coming," Hyun-Woo greeted with the utmost decorum. Hyun-Woo reached a hand out. Joon Pyo shoved his hands into his pockets instead. Hyun-Woo raised an eyebrow and gave a short laugh. "Oh, no hard feelings about the punch I took, by the way." Hyun-Woo said, sarcastically. Joon Pyo simply stared at him. "Would you like a drink?" Hyun-Woo asked.

"No, thank you," Joon Pyo replied.

"Fine, then. Just bourbon for me then," he turned to his servant. "Have a seat, Joon Pyo." Hyun-Woo sat on his plush couch and hung an arm carelessly over the back.

Joon Pyo remained standing. "What do you want?"

Hyun-Woo chuckled and shook his head. "So many answers to that question…"

"Don't play games with me. You called me here for a reason, so just say it."

Hyun-Woo pursed his lips and casually took a sip of the drink that had been handed to him. "Fine. I want you to reconsider the merger, for one."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because it's to your benefit. This merger is a good idea and will expand Shinwha and increase its power. Don't you wan't the best for your father and grandfather's company? Don't let silly pride and personal feelings get in the way of business…"

"What?"

"I didn't think you to be dense, Joon Pyo," Hyun-Woo said. Joon Pyo glared at him. "Let's get down to it, then. The only reason you refuse to work with me is because of Alex, correct?"

Joon Pyo scowled at him.

"She told you some sob story about how I was cruel to her, right?"

Joon Pyo continued with his icy gaze.

"It's not true. I was good to her. I loved her, and I showered her with gifts and affection. I did everything for her! But…she fell for another man…" Hyun-Woo sighed and put on a mock look of hurt.

Joon Pyo continued to stare at Hyun-Woo. Hyun-Woo thought of the night before and of Joon Pyo being at Alex's in the morning. His rage began to ignite.

"You know a little something about that, don't you Joon Pyo?"

"What are you talking about?" Joon Pyo clenched his fists tightly and seethed.

Hyun-Woo ran his hand along his couch and smirked over at Joon Pyo. "I'm talking about Geum Jan Di…"

"What do you know of her?" Joon Pyo demanded, barely restraining himself.

"I know a lot. For instance, I know that you two are an item…or at least you were…"

Joon Pyo continued to glare, his chest heaving. "What's that supposed to mean?" He snarled.

"Well, it's interesting….Geum Jan Di and Yoon Ji Hoo…what exactly is going on there?" Hyun-Woo taunted, getting immense pleasure from Joon Pyo's building fury.

"Shut up…" Joon Pyo growled.

"Just an observation… I feel for you, Joon Pyo, I really do. Your girl falling for another man, that's tough…"

"Shut up!" Joon Pyo spat.

"And isn't he your friend, too? That's such a slap in the face…"

"Shut up! What do you know?" Joon Pyo was writhing in fury now.

"Well, only an idiot would fail to see that Geum Jan Di and Yoon Ji Hoo are in love with each other. It's SO obvious!" Hyun-Woo dragged out the so mockingly and rolled his eyes. "I mean, it took me all of 15 minutes at that dinner we were all at to figure it out. It was a bit sickening actually, don't you think? Are you that stupid, or are you just in denial, Joon Pyo?"

Joon Pyo quickly closed the distance between them, grabbed Hyun-Woo by the collar, dragged him across the room and slammed him against the wall. "SHUT UP, you know nothing!" Joon Pyo shouted, clenching Hyun-Woo's collar and shaking violently. A tall, muscular man approached looking menacingly at Joon Pyo. Hyun-Woo threw a hand up to motion that the man stop. Joon Pyo twisted Hyun-Woo's collar and glared daggers at him. Hyun-Woo shot back a cold but steady expression.

"I sympathize, Joon Pyo, I really do… I'm on your side… You absolutely can't let another man take your woman. You should do something about it…just like I did."

"What do you mean?" He shook Hyun-Woo.

"Take care of it…like a man… I could even take care of it for you, but really it should be you..." Joon Pyo gripped Hyun-Woo's collar tighter, wild-eyed.

"…Or, is it that you just plan to move on? Have you set your sights on Alex now?"

"What?" Joon Pyo shook him again.

"I see that I need to make this simple for you. I'm sorry about your girl having feelings for another man, Joon Pyo, but you can't have mine." Hyun-Woo snarled.

"You're crazy!" Joon Pyo shoved Hyun-Woo roughly away. "There's nothing between Alex and me!"

"Good. Keep it that way, or I'll be forced to take care of you, too."

"Is that a threat?" Joon Pyo stood there staring him down and seething for a bit longer before storming out. He fixed Hyun-Woo with a deadly gaze before leaving. Hyun-Woo watched him walk away with a smirk and smoothed out his suit. Joon Pyo tore out of there nearly blinded by rage. He needed to leave right away before he killed the bastard.


Alex hadn't been able to reach Joon Pyo, and she was worried. She headed to dinner with Hyun-Woo, feeling distressed. She'd decided to break things off. She couldn't go through with dating Hyun-Woo, and she'd decided to ask Joon Pyo for help. She hated to have to do so, but she didn't know what else to do. She knew she could trust him. She wished Joon Pyo could be by her side now, but still she'd be strong. She decided that she would make short work of it. She'd break it off quietly at dinner. He surely wouldn't make a scene there. She had a question, too. Her father and Hyun-Woo's secret had been bothering her all day. She'd demand to know what it was.

At dinner, Alex was trembling. She hated how Hyun-Woo's re-entry into her life had turned her into his weak, pathetic shell of the woman she used to be. Hyun-Woo glanced over at her and questioned what was wrong. She could no longer take it, so she told him that she wanted to break things off. Hyun-Woo was serene. He took a sip of his wine, placed his napkin gently on the table, and rose from his seat. He approached Alex, and she stared up at him. He grabbed her by the wrist and led her out of the restaurant.

"Let's go somewhere and talk about this," he calmly suggested, pushing her toward the car.

"No, I don't want to go anywhere with you," she exclaimed.

Hyun-Woo exhaled sharply and grabbed her wrist again. He led her down the sidewalk and to a nearby bench. He roughly cast her onto the bench. He stood over her and stared down at her, crossing his arms.

"Is this about Joon Pyo?"

"No, that has nothing to do with it!"

"Liar! I know he was there this morning."

Alex gaped. It wasn't surprising that he figured it out. She lied. "He wasn't there! You're paranoid! You were always paranoid!"

Hyun-Woo scoffed.

"You always thought I was going behind your back...when in reality, you were the one who was cheating on me!" she shouted, as she began to shake lightly.

"You weren't blameless…what about you and that pitiful artist, huh?"

"Don't call him that! And that was after we were over! How many times had you cheated on me and abused me already by that point? I was just finally able to get free of you!"

"After all I gave you, you preferred that miserable loser to me?"

"Yes, I preferred him! He was kind to me, and he truly loved me."

Hyun-Woo scoffed again.

"Joo-Won is a good man, and I was crazy not to stay with him! Almost as crazy as I am to be here with you now!"

"Don't speak his name," Hyun-Woo snarled.

"I'll speak his name anytime I want, Joo-Won, Joo-Won, Joo-Won!"

"Shut up!"

Alex stopped.

"I'm afraid you made a mistake, Alex. You said he is a good man…what you should have said was he was a good man," Hyun-Woo said menacingly.

Alex felt her stomach plummet. "What does that mean?"

Hyun-Woo leaned in slowly. Alex remained petrified. "…Your precious Joo-Won no longer exists. I got rid of him."

Alex began to hyperventilate, her heart raced, and she felt like she couldn't breathe. "What?! You're lying!" she barely choked out.

Hyun-Woo shook his head. "No, it's the truth. So, just forget about him," he spat.

Alex rose on weak legs and grabbed Hyun-Woo by the collar with a last surge of adrenaline. "What did you do to him, you bastard?!" She shook him violently, screaming at him. Hyun-Woo grabbed her wrists and held her there, while she trembled uncontrollably.

"Let's just say I arranged a little accident," was his sinister response.

Alex glared at him, with a look of pure hatred. "I'm going to see you pay dearly for this!"

"There's nothing you can do about it! And if you do try, I'll make sure the same happens to Joon Pyo!"

Alex broke Hyun-Woo's grip and took off running. Hyun-Woo caught up with her and grabbed her. She managed to pull the pepper spray from her purse and sprayed him in the face. Hyun-Woo shouted out in pain and covered his face. Alex ran as fast as she could. A steady downpour began as Alex ran aimlessly. She eventually slowed and wandered the streets when her strength began to give out on her. Not sure where else to turn, she ended up at Joon Pyo's.


Joon Pyo opened his door to find a disheveled and soaked Alex standing on the other side. She was shaking violently and was as white as a sheet.

"Alex, what's wrong?" Joon Pyo demanded. Her chest rose and fell heavily. She stood there for a moment longer before collapsing into his arms. He caught her.

"What is it?" He demanded again, as he guided her in.

She still hadn't said a word. He sat her down on the bed, and she suddenly began to sob uncontrollably. She clutched at his chest, and he wrapped his arms around her. She held onto him tightly and went to pieces in his arms.