Comfortable

Like the Lotus

Jan Di headed home from her evening class. She sighed, thinking of her conversation with Ji Hoo earlier.

How embarrassing… She frowned, confused by how flustered she'd gotten. Why was Ji Hoo Sunbae acting like that?

She decided it best to shrug it off. She shoved her hands into her pockets and walked home. When she arrived Hye Jung was studying in the living room. Jan Di greeted her roommate, with an awkward smile. A large smile spread across Hye Jung's face, as if Jan Di was just the person she wanted to see. They exchanged pleasantries, but Jan Di could tell that Hye Jung was curious about Ji Hoo. She'd hoped to avoid the conversation a little while longer. She really had no interest in dashing her friend's hopes.

Jan Di busied herself in the kitchen nook and began preparing a late meal of ramen. She asked Hye Jung if she'd eaten. Hye Jung responded that she had and continued to stare over at Jan Di intently. Jan Di could feel her eyes boring into her. Jan Di cleared . She hoped that she didn't have to answer any questions, even though his answer had been straightforward enough.

Hye Jung finally broke the silence after 5 minutes or so of clearly pretending to study.

"So, Jan Di, did you see your friend Ji Hoo today?"

Jan Di nodded, still not looking at her.

"So...," she paused. "Did you happen to ask him about me at all?"

Jan Di nodded again.

"And?" She asked, hopeful.

"Well, he said that he's not really interested in dating right now…" Jan Di studied Hye Jung, hoping she wasn't too disappointed.

Hye Jung's smile slowly faded. "Hm, I see."

Jan Di suddenly felt bad. She didn't know why, but she felt she had to justify Ji Hoo's response, even though he just met the girl once for 30 seconds or so. "He's just really busy right now, Hye Jung…he has school and his grandfather is really sick…"

"I see." Hye Jung seemed to ponder Jan Di's explanation.

Jan Di studied her once more.

"Well, that's OK!" Hye Jung seemed to turn her mood around quickly.

Jan Di looked on as Hye Jung almost skipped off to her room. Well, she took that well… Jan Di thought.


Jan Di finished up at the porridge shop. She worked through the typical Saturday lunch rush. She had big Saturday night plans of studying, of course. Ga Eul had been trying all day to get Jan Di to come out for a movie, but she'd turned her down. Jan Di was worried about the practical application to her exam that upcoming Wednesday. Not to mention she'd promised to spend the day with Ji Hoo Sunbae on Sunday. Perhaps she could sneak in some studying by picking his brain while they were together.

"Jan di, come on, you are always working or studying! You need to take a break once in awhile! We never do anything together anymore…" Ga Eul pouted, putting her hands on her hips in mock anger.

Jan di considered this. She could use a girl's night out. She had been working very hard and had been stressed. "Ah, I wish I could, Ga-Eul…"

Ga Eul sighed. "I understand." She decided to punish Jan Di a little. "So, are you excited for your big date?" Ga Eul emphasized the last word.

"Huh?" Jan Di stared at Ga Eul, mouth open. Ga Eul chuckled.

"It's not a date!" Jan Di stammered, a bit flustered. "We're…"

"…just friends," Ga Eul finished her sentence. "Yes, I know."

Jan Di unconsciously began to wipe the counters.

"Do you think Ji Hoo Sunbae is over you now?" Ga Eul asked. She was typically bold with her line of questioning.

Jan Di pondered. She remembered how he'd leaned closer and closer to her, how intensely he'd looked at her. Though he could be playful, he was usually so serious. Still, he couldn't after all this time…

"I'm sure he is." Jan Di stated plainly and continued with her cleaning.

It was apparent that Ga Eul was not going to stop there. "Did you tell him about Hye Jung?"

"Yes."

"And what happened?"

Jan Di blushed slightly, remembering how he'd chosen to respond to the personal questioning.

"He told me that he wasn't interested in dating anyone."

Ga Eul nodded. "That makes sense."

Jan Di looked at her quizzically. "What do you mean?"

"Well, he's always been quiet and a loner…"

Jan Di recalled how, aside from Min Ji, she'd been a loner at Shinwa before he, F4, and Joon Pyo had come along.

"And of course because…," Ga Eul paused. "Never mind."

"What?" Jan Di demanded.

"Well, of course he's not interested in dating anyone…because he's still in love with you, Jan Di." Ga Eul said, stone-faced.

"Ga Eul! That's ridiculous."

"Is it? Why does he spend so much time with you? Why is he always there whenever you need something?"

"Because he's a really good friend." Jan Di defended.

"Guys don't act like that with girls unless they have feelings for them."

Jan Di sighed, looking down.

"Do you want to know what I think?" Ga Eul continued.

Jan Di feared the forward revelation that seemed to be coming. "What?" Jan Di waited.

"I think he can't move on because he's around you all of the time. He's gotten no distance."

Jan Di contemplated this. Maybe Ga Eul is right. Have I been selfish with Ji Hoo Sunbae?

Ga Eul studied Jan Di's saddened expression. She smiled comfortingly and put a hand on Jan Di's shoulder.

"It's not your fault, Jan Di. He's usually the one to come to you. You have no reason to feel guilty. You've never led him on."

Jan Di mulled this statement over. She truly believed that she hadn't given him any false hope. But she wondered if she took him for granted sometimes. She felt so truly comfortable in his presence. She'd depended on him so many times. He'd seen her at her highest and her lowest. He'd seen her vulnerable, very vulnerable. And he'd never taken advantage. There were a few moments when she wondered if he would attempt to make a move, times when she was hurting over Joon Pyo. At those times she'd felt so hopeless. She wondered now if she would have given in to an advance from him during one of those lonely, desperate nights, when her world seemed to crash down. One of those times when he held her tightly against him, whispering comforting words, or simply holding her there as long as she needed. But he never did.

Those times when he held her, they were nice. She supposed that was the word…nice, comfortable. After letting go of her feelings for Ji Hoo and beginning her relationship with Joon Pyo, she hadn't really allowed herself to entertain her old feelings again. She'd been so….preoccupied, no infatuated, with Joon Pyo and their relationship that Ji Hoo never had a chance, even when she believed it was the end and that Joon Pyo was getting married. She hadn't even considered loving again.

Thinking on it now, she wondered what would have been. If Joon Pyo had gotten married, the thought was painful, but could she have moved on? Would she have been with Ji Hoo? Perhaps. She recalled the time he'd wandered all night in the rain after running out on Grandfather. He'd collapsed in her arms, and she'd put him to bed and tended to him throughout the night. There was a moment then when she looked at him differently. She saw him as more than just her good friend, but as a man. She'd gazed upon his beautiful face as he slept. She felt sorrow over his pain, but it had been more than that. She felt the overwhelming urge to reach out and touch his cheek. And she did so, it gently. He had unexpectedly grabbed her hand and held it tightly to his chest. She remained that way for awhile. She remembered the feel of his elevated heartbeat and her hand resting against his strong chest. She could still recall the butterflies she'd felt then. The feeling shocked and distressed her a bit. She'd busied herself with cooking a meal for him after that, wanting to care for him as he always did for her. She'd smiled to herself, truly content cooking a meal for him.

Thinking clearer now, though she felt guilty admitting it to herself, she imagined that she could have been happy with Ji Hoo. She wondered if such feelings were truly possible if you were with your one true love. Ga Eul believed in soulmates. Jan Di believed that, too. She never expected that her soulmate and husband-to-be would be different men, though. It was…confusing.

Jan Di returned from her thoughts. She nodded to Ga Eul and gave her a thankful smile. "Ga Eul, we'll go out together next weekend, I promise!"

She waved to Master, hugged her friend, and left the porridge shop.