Birthday

Like the Lotus

Alex arrived at her New York office and noticed a dozen red roses in a vase on her desk. She glanced at them curiously. Joon Pyo walked by with a cup of coffee and glanced in. "Joon Pyo, you shouldn't have!" she exclaimed, holding the flowers.

"What?" He gaped at her, open-mouthed. "I didn't! Why would I send you flowers?"

Alex stifled a smile. She knew there was no way he would have sent them, but she couldn't resist seeing him turn a lovely shade of crimson. She picked up the card and began to read it.

Joon Pyo cocked his head and peeked in. "Who are they from?"

Alex frowned. "They're from Hyun-Woo."

Joon Pyo scoffed. "That guy again!"

Alex nodded. "It seems he wants to make amends."

Joon Pyo tightened his mouth. "You're not planning to, are you? You should stay away from him!"

Alex gave Joon Pyo a small smile, appreciating his seemingly genuine concern. "He's in New York, and he wants to talk. Maybe I should hear what he has to say…"

"It's probably a trick! He couldn't possibly have anything good to say!"

"You're probably right." She pursed her lips.

"I know I am. Are you going to meet with him?" Joon Pyo shoved his hands into his pockets.

"I don't know yet." Alex sighed. Her intercom went off. "Yes?"

"Ms. Lee, Mr. Lee would like to see you in his office," the secretary said over the speaker.

"Yes, I'll be there in a moment," Alex replied. Alex gave Joon Pyo a nod and headed toward her father's office.


Alex walked into her father's office. "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, Alex, have a seat."

Alex sighed and sat down. She watched her father spin to face her in his plush leather office chair.

"I want to talk about Hyun-Woo," he said. Alex nodded. She'd expected this conversation.

"I was very disappointed when I heard that you turned him down," Mr. Lee frowned at her.

"Father, please understand, I can't marry him."

"I don't understand. Explain it to me. You were once very much in love with him."

"I thought I was. But it was never love…"

"Alex, I hope that you will reconsider. Hyun-Woo is still willing to go through with the marriage. He's even willing to forgive the way Goo Joon Pyo treated him."

Alex sighed. "Why Hyun-Woo, Father?"

Mr. Lee rubbed his chin and looked down. "I've thought a great deal about this, and I believe this is the best thing for everyone. It's important. You should trust my judgment."

"Best thing for everyone? Trust your judgment?" Alex raised her voice. "Have you ever considered what the best thing is for me? Have you ever considered what I want?"

"Calm yourself," Mr. Lee warned.

"Do you even know the hell Hyun-Woo put me through? I can't, I won't go through it again!"

Mr. Lee sighed and folded his hands in his lap, as he leaned back in his great chair.

"And why is it that you never allowed me to choose?" she continued.

Mr. Lee sighed again. "Is this still about that poor artist…?"

"Joo-Won," she corrected.

"He wasn't good enough for you… He didn't fit into our world…"

"He was…he was good enough for me! He was too good! He fit with me! And you treated him like garbage!"

"That's in the past. I refuse to discuss it."

"Father-," Alex protested.

"That's enough!" He shouted. "I told you that this was very important, yet you refuse to even consider it. Do you have any sense of family loyalty?"

"And do you have any love for your daughter?" Alex exclaimed. She was near tears but was refusing to let them see the surface.

Mr. Lee was deathly silent. Alex nodded, "I see. So, you would have your daughter cheated on, disrespected, and abused? That's the life you want for your daughter?"

"I believe that things will be different this time," Mr. Lee replied, rubbing his forehead.

"You can't really believe that, can you? People don't change! You should know that well, Father…"

"And you will do well to know your place, Alex," Mr. Lee cautioned. "You will meet with Hyun-Woo, and you will discuss this rationally and politely. You will give him a chance."

Alex exhaled sharply. "I'll be going now!" She stormed out of her father's office and headed down the hall, nearly colliding with Joon Pyo. She didn't seem to register this and nearly walked through him. Joon Pyo caught her by the arm. He turned her toward him and met her eyes.

"What's wrong, Alex?" Joon Pyo asked.

"Nothing," she shook her head and turned from him.

He took her arms in both of his. "Tell me," he gently demanded.

"Later," she released a heavy sigh. "I'll tell you later. I need to be alone for a little while," she replied, still not looking at him. Joon Pyo tightened his jaw and released her. She turned away and briskly walked back to her office.


Joon Pyo finished his day's work. He prepared to leave and decided to stop by Alex's office. He hadn't seen her since the morning. He stopped by her office and noticed that she was gone. The roses were in the waste basket next to her desk. Joon Pyo frowned and checked with her secretary.

"She left early, sir, about an hour ago. She said she was going home and then she had a dinner meeting."

Joon Pyo frowned. He hadn't been aware of any meeting. Joon Pyo pulled out his phone. He noticed a missed message from Woo Bin. He picked up the phone and dialed him.

"Woo Bin, …"

"What?!" Joon Pyo's voice raised.

"What?! Where's Jan Di?" Joon Pyo demanded.

"I see, OK…"

Joon Pyo hung up. He squeezed the phone tightly, nearly crushing it. He put it in his pocket and turned back to the secretary. "Who did Ms. Lee say she was meeting, and where, what time?"

"I believe she was meeting Mr. Kim Hyun-Woo at La Bastille at 6PM." Joon Pyo frowned.

He then nodded and returned to his office. It was already 6 PM. He pulled out his phone and sent Ji Hoo a text. He mumbled a curse, slammed his fist against the desk, and rushed out of the office.


Ji Hoo knocked softly at the door of his bedroom and peeked in when there was no answer. Jan Di was still asleep. He carried in a breakfast tray and made his way over to the bed. He set the tray down on the bedside table and sat on the side of the bed. Jan Di lay there, wearing his pajamas, as she'd had none of her own. He smiled at how the sleeves hung over her small hands. He brushed a piece of hair out of her eyes and trailed a finger along her cheek, tracing its curvature that he knew so well. He pulled back his hand when she stirred, and her eyes fluttered open. "Sunbae," she mumbled sleepily, surprised to find him sitting there watching her.

"Good morning and happy birthday!" He smiled at her. She smiled back.

"Oh, thank you, Sunbae." He grabbed the breakfast tray and put it over her lap. He'd arranged various breakfast items into cute little animal faces, as Grandfather had done for him. On the tray was a single red rose, like he'd left for her in Macau. Jan Di smiled.

"Oh, that's so sweet of you, Sunbae! I really get breakfast in bed?" She'd never received breakfast in bed before. She imagined the mere suggestion of it would have sent her mother into a lecture or fit of laughter.

He nodded. "Enjoy. Have your breakfast and get ready. I've had your things brought here. Then we'll be going."

"To where?" Jan Di mumbled through a mouthful of food.

"I'm taking you on a little trip."

"A trip? But why, Sunbae?"

"Well, I felt bad about all you went through yesterday and the way I acted, so I decided to take you for a nice, relaxing trip for your birthday."

"Sunbae…," she smiled at him tenderly. "But I can't. I have to…"

"Don't worry, I've arranged everything. Your boss was kind enough to give you the day off, and there's no school, so…"

She nodded. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," he replied with a smile and exited the room. As he walked out, he heard his phone and pulled it out. He had a message from Joon Pyo. It simply said: Thank you for watching out for Jan Di. Please continue to do so until I can. I'm reassured that she's at your house… He recalled Joon Pyo sending him a similar message when Jan Di moved in the first time.

Ji Hoo stared at the message. He assumed that Woo Bin must have told Joon Pyo about the information he'd discovered about Kim Hyun-Woo, as well as about the break-in. Joon Pyo would likely be rushing back. Ji Hoo sighed. At least Joon Pyo seemed to be accepting of Jan Di being in his home once more. But how long could it last?


Joon Pyo rushed to the restaurant. He wasn't sure what his plan was exactly, but after hearing the news of Hyun-Woo's criminal affiliations, he'd been very afraid for Alex. He was feeling crazed after also hearing of the break-in at Jan Di's apartment. He felt certain it was Hyun-Woo's doing. He was immediately relieved to know that Ji Hoo and Woo Bin had taken care of Jan Di and that she was safely at Ji Hoo's now with Woo Bin's guys on watch. He'd instantly considered rushing to Jan Di's side after the incident, but Hyun-Woo currently seemed to be focused upon Alex. He'd ensure she was safe and confront Hyun-Woo.

Alex sat silently with Hyun-Woo at La Bastille. She kept her hands in her lap. He'd ordered wine for them. He poured a glass for her and then himself. She took the glass and took a quick gulp. She put her hands back in her lap, realizing they were beginning to shake lightly. They ordered and the waiter left. "Hyun-Woo, why is it that you invited me here?" Alex asked directly.

Hyun-Woo pursed his lips. "As I said in my card, I wanted to talk to you and rectify the situation between us."

"Hyun-Woo," Alex began, leaning forward slightly.

"I'm so used to just taking what I want…it was the way I was raised. I was always given everything, much like Goo Joon Pyo."

Alex hated that he brought up Joon Pyo. She continued to listen skeptically.

Hyun-Woo took her hand from across the table and began to run his thumb lightly along it, tracing lines on her hands. "I know that I didn't handle things with you the best way I could. I know that Alex can not be forced into anything she doesn't want to do." He grinned at her. "But," He ran a finger slowly, methodically up and down her arm. Alex felt goosebumps form.

She grabbed his hand with her other before she could allow herself to be taken in by his touches. "Hyun-Woo, why are you and my father so set on this?"

They were interrupted by the waiter bringing their appetizer. "Thank you," Alex said, breaking his grip.

After the waiter left, Hyun-Woo continued. "I realize that I still love you, and I want you back."

"You never loved me. You just wanted to possess me." Alex replied bluntly. "As for me, I loved you once..."

Hyun-Woo cocked his head.

"But I later realized that it wasn't the way love is supposed to be. It was passion at best. And I can't forget the things you did to me. Even if you say you are changed, I can never trust that. I can never forgive you."

Hyun-Woo's chest began to slowly rise and fall more heavily, and he scowled. She watched him grip his chair until his knuckles grew white. She felt the gnawing anxious feeling once more. Then, he suddenly appeared to calm. He had a terrible temper, but he also had the amazing capacity to turn his moods on and off like the flick of a switch.

He leaned toward her, and she instinctively shifted back in her chair. Hyun-Woo sighed and gazed upon her intently. "I'd hoped that you would see things my way. I was willing to make an effort, but if you plan to be stubborn… We can do this the easy way, or the hard way," he whispered, menacingly.

"What do you mean by that?"

Hyun-Woo took a bite of his food and chewed it thoroughly. "Well, if you're willing to date and entertain the notion of a potential partnership, then I will play nice. If not, I can simply destroy Goo Joon Pyo."

Alex's lips parted. "Hyun-Woo," she exclaimed in a harsh whisper, doing her best to remain composed in the setting. "What do you mean destroy?" she snarled.

Hyun-Woo took a sip of his wine, remaining completely casual, as if he'd just made a comment about the weather rather than a threat. "Oh, well there are a number of options. You know what I'm capable of. Don't force my hand."

Alex's breathing continued to escalate. Alex looked down and her eyes darted back and forth. She clutched at her purse tightly, desperately wanting to escape, but she remained there. "All you want is for me to date you for awhile and see where it leads then?"

Hyun-Woo nodded, grinning at her.

"And if I do you'll leave Joon Pyo alone…"

Hyun-Woo nodded. "I won't touch him."


Joon Pyo arrived at the restaurant. His reputation quickly brought the offer of a table, but instead he glanced around for Alex. He finally saw her, sitting at a back corner table with Hyun-Woo. She was dressed in a black mini dress and had her hair up. The two appeared to be engaged in an intense stare-down at the moment. Joon Pyo strode over to the table.

"Joon Pyo!" Alex exclaimed when he arrived at the table. She looked down. He wasn't supposed to find out about the meeting.

Joon Pyo looked at Alex and then at Hyun-Woo. Hyun-Woo's dark eyes cast daggers at Joon Pyo, but then he smiled. "Ah, Joon Pyo, what brings you here? Would you like to join us?"

Alex shot a glance at Hyun-Woo and then at Joon Pyo.

"That's not necessary. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I needed a quick word with Alex. It's urgent business."

Hyun-Woo tightened his jaw but then smiled again. He wiped his mouth. "Of course. You may borrow her for a moment." Alex studied Hyun-Woo, whose eyes seemed to caution her against trying anything funny.

"I'll only be a moment," she said, as she rose from the table. She followed Joon Pyo outside the restaurant. Hyun-Woo glared after them.

Outside, Alex clutched her wrap to avoid the chill. "What is it, Joon Pyo?" she asked rather sharply.

Joon Pyo took a deep breath. "I came to check on you. And to warn you."

"Warn me?"

"Yes, my friend Woo Bin has connections, and I asked him to check into Kim Hyun-Woo. He found out that Hyun-Woo has ties with the Kkangpae."

Alex gaped. It should have surprised her more than it did, but she knew he was involved in some nefarious activities.

"I want you to stay away from him," Joon Pyo said directly.

"Joon Pyo," Alex began. She took a deep breath. "I appreciate your concern, but I'm fine. He's promised that he'll change. That is all in the past." She did her best to hold her head high.

"Alex, are you an idiot?"

"What?"

Joon Pyo took her shoulders firmly. She didn't look at him. "How can you possibly be so gullible? You know this guy is trouble. How can you ignore what I just told you?"

Alex sighed and finally looked up at him, as he held her at arm's length, clutching her small shoulders.

"I've thought about it a lot, and I've decided to give him another chance. He told me that he would change for me. And I..." She hesitated and looked away. "…Love him," she could barely say the words.

"You love him?" Joon Pyo asked dubiously.

"Yes." Alex's head hung slightly.

Joon Pyo sighed and released her. He paced a couple feet and then turned back to her. "Do you know that Jan Di's apartment was broken into yesterday?"

Alex's lips parted, and she processed this. "Oh, I'm sorry… Is she OK?"

"Yes, but I suspect that your boyfriend," Joon Pyo spat the word. "…had something to do with it!"

"What? He couldn't possibly have. He's been here." She even knew her excuse was feeble.

"I don't believe it! I'm going to have a little chat with him…" Joon Pyo moved toward the door of the restaurant, his fists clenched.

"No!" She grabbed Joon Pyo's arm with both of hers. He turned back to her slowly. "Please don't do that!"

He stared at her. "Why not?"

"Just don't…please trust me. Jan Di will be safe, I promise. You just need to stay out of our business!" She raised her voice to him.

He gaped at her after the harsh statement. He looked into her chocolate eyes that were desperately pleading with him. She looked down, her chest rising and falling lightly. "Please go…" she whispered dejectedly.

"What?"

"Go… You're interrupting our date."

Joon Pyo fumed silently. He turned from her and kicked a nearby bush. And he left. Alex watched after him for a moment. She hugged herself tightly and felt a few hot tears escaping. She wiped her eyes and sighed. "I'm sorry, Joon Pyo, forgive me…" she whispered to the night air. I'm just trying to do what's best for everyone else… I can't allow anyone else to be punished for my mistake, least of all you…

She turned and went back into the restaurant.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di drove toward their destination, enjoying the beautiful scenery along the way. Ji Hoo would have preferred taking her on his bike and enjoying the feel of her arms around his waist, but it was a long drive and much more practical by car. This was nice, too, though. It was spring now, and the temperature was warm, but there was a light, cool breeze. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom, and the countryside was blanketed by a lovely shade of pink, mixed with some vibrant greens and purples. The sweet scent of blossoms hung in the air as they drove with the top down on the mini cooper. Jan Di felt some of her tension as of late being released into the spring air as they drove. She gazed over the landscape, as they drove in comfortable silence.

Ji Hoo had arranged to have her belongings moved back into his place. He had been increasingly protective since the break-in, as well as increasingly tense. She appreciated his concern, but sometimes it bothered her being treated like a precious vase that could fall and shatter at any moment. She hadn't yet told Joon Pyo about the break-in. She almost did several times, but she didn't want to worry him or force him to drastically rush back. She wondered if Ji Hoo or Woo Bin would tell him. She wondered how she would again have the conversation about staying at Ji Hoo's place.

"Sunbae," she began. "About moving back in…"

"It's OK," he interrupted. "Joon Pyo already knows if that's what you're worried about. He's OK with it."

"Really?"

"Yes. Woo Bin told him about what happened at your apartment."

"He did?" Jan Di was surprised she hadn't heard from him about any of this. She assumed that he would have freaked out.

"Yes," Ji Hoo replied and glanced over at her. She seemed pensive.

"I just continue to impose upon you, don't I?"

"You're no imposition," Ji Hoo sighed, frustrated that he should have to continue to convey his feelings on the matter.

"Thank you…" She looked out over the landscape.

Ji Hoo nodded and continued to drive. "OK if we make a stop soon?" He asked.

"Sure, where?"

"To see my parents."

Jan Di looked over at him. His expression was serious but steady.

"I hope you don't mind. I'd like for you to meet them."

Jan Di smiled. "Of course I don't mind, Sunbae. I'd like to meet them."

Ji Hoo smiled back at her. "I think you would have liked them," he began, his words catching slightly. She wondered if he had ever really talked to anyone about them. Perhaps he had with Seo Hyun in the past.

"My memories are vague, but I remember that they were very caring parents. My mother was very warm and kind. She was very cultured but down-to-earth. They were both very interested in the arts and in medicine, too. They got me involved in music. My father was very caring, too, but he was more the strong, silent type."

Jan Di smiled. Just like Ji Hoo Sunbae…

"Grandfather loved them very much, too. He was even crazy about my mom. He loved her spicy catfish stew. He's been asking for yours again, by the way." Ji Hoo chuckled. "He said it tasted like my mother's. I think he used to tease my mother like he does with you, too." Ji Hoo felt himself growing teary eyed. Jan Di looked at him tenderly. She'd never heard him talk so much about his parents, but she enjoyed hearing about them. He remained fixed upon the road, not wanting to show the tears. His right hand rested near the console, as he drove with one hand. Jan Di put her hand over his. Their eyes met briefly, and then he turned them back to the road.

About an hour later, they stopped. Ji Hoo got out and opened Jan Di's door for her. They walked together up a hill and stood before the graves. Ji Hoo and Jan Di each held a bouquet of flowers that he'd brought. Ji Hoo put the flowers on the graves and then stood back with his arms crossed respectfully at his waist. "Abeoji, Eomeoni, this is Geum Jan Di," he said after a moment. This is the girl I love…

Ji Hoo glanced back at Jan Di and encouraged her to come closer. Jan Di approached and stood beside him. She bowed deeply before the graves. Then, she turned back to Ji Hoo. "What should I call them?" she whispered. "Whatever you want," he whispered back. She approached and knelt before the graves, suddenly feeling very nervous and not certain why. "Mr. and Mrs. Yoon, umm, Eomeonim, Abeonim…" Jan Di cleared . Ji Hoo smiled.

"I'm Geum Jan Di, and I am pleased to meet you… I wanted to tell you that you have a wonderful son… He has been such a great friend to me. He's very caring, and I'm sure that came from you. He's told me about you, and I regret that I didn't have the chance to get to know you…but thank you, for Ji Hoo Sunbae." Jan Di bowed again and rose from the ground. She looked back to Ji Hoo. His head was bowed slightly. A wisp of hair partially hid his reddened eyes. She went to his side. She bowed her head, as well. "Was that OK…?" she asked hesitantly.

He nodded, still looking down. "Thank you," he said, emotionally.

Jan Di glanced to Ji Hoo and noticed there were tears forming now. She reached out to put a hand on his back, and she put her other hand on his arm. They stood there on the hillside before the graves, the wind blowing their hair. Ji Hoo appeared to be doing his best to remain stoic. After a few moments, he gave in and put his hand on her other arm and brought her closer. They clung lightly to each other, as they solemnly looked upon the graves and paid their respects.


Alex sighed and returned to the table with Hyun-Woo. "Is everything alright?" he asked.

"Yes, fine," she put on her best smile. Hyun-Woo studied her. She was relieved when he refrained from asking more questions, and they finished their meal.

They'd gone separately, but Hyun-Woo had insisted upon seeing Alex home. She was unnerved but not surprised to find out he knew where she lived. Alex and Hyun-Woo stood outside the door of her penthouse. He stood dangerously close. He not so subtly suggested that she invite him in. "I would, Hyun-Woo, but I'm a little tired."

He nodded. "So, have you decided?"

Alex sighed. "Yes, Hyun-Woo, I've decided."

"And?" He raised a brow.

"If you promise to leave Joon Pyo alone, I'll…" She cringed. "…go out with you."

A wide smile spread across Hyun-Woo's face. "Good." He moved closer to her until she was pressed against her door. He raised his right hand to one side of her and pressed it against the door as he leaned toward her. Despite agreeing to date him, Alex's first instinct was to slap him. And she did. Hard. Hyun-Woo simply scoffed and shook a finger at her, as if to remind her of her promise and to be a good little girl. He continued to lean into her. She raised her hand once more, but this time he caught it. She winced, as he pushed her arm down and held it against her side. He continued to hold it there, and she could feel her arm beginning to bruise. He pressed himself into her and captured with his. Alex made a muffled noise of distaste, and her lips remained lifeless, as he deepened the kiss.

Seconds later, Alex felt Hyun-Woo's lips and body pulled from hers. Her eyes had been shut tightly. She opened them to see Joon Pyo tear Hyun-Woo away from her. She watched in stunned silence as Joon Pyo punched Hyun-Woo squarely in the face, dropping him to one knee. Hyun-Woo touched his face and stared up at Joon Pyo menacingly. Joon Pyo stared back at him, fuming. They didn't speak but just stared at one another for what seemed like an interminable time. Finally, Joon Pyo spoke. "Stay away from her!" he growled.

"Stay out of this, Joon Pyo!" Hyun-Woo snarled back.

Joon Pyo grabbed Hyun-Woo by the collar and pulled him up to face him. "Get out of here," Joon Pyo demanded through clenched teeth.

"You have no idea who you're dealing with…" Hyun-Woo threatened.

"Joon Pyo, let him go!" Alex demanded, finally finding her words.

The two men looked at her. Joon Pyo released Hyun-Woo roughly.

"And apologize," Alex demanded.

"What?" Joon Pyo gaped over at her.

"You heard me."

"I won't!" Joon Pyo seethed.

Alex nodded. She figured as much. Alex approached the two. She put a hand on Hyun-Woo's arm. He turned to face her. She could tell he was smoldering. "Hyun-Woo, I apologize on Joon Pyo's behalf. Why don't you go home, and I'll see you tomorrow?" Joon Pyo watched in disbelief as she placed a kiss on Hyun-Woo's cheek.

This seemed to diffuse Hyun-Woo. His expression softened ever so slightly. "Goodnight," she said and smiled sweetly. Hyun-Woo nodded. He glared at Joon Pyo briefly before walking off without a word.

Once he was gone, Alex sighed heavily and opened the door to her apartment. "What did you think you were doing? I had it under control…" She allowed Joon Pyo to follow her inside.

"It didn't look like you had it under control; it looked like you were being attacked!"

"Well, I did, OK?"

"He was taking advantage of you!"

"Even if he was, it's not any of your business…"

"This is the thanks I get for rescuing you?" he shouted.

"Who asked you to?" she shouted back.

"Aish, crazy woman," Joon Pyo mumbled and rubbed his forehead. He began to pace around her apartment.

Alex went to her kitchen and pulled out a couple bottles of water. She handed one to Joon Pyo and took one for herself. "Have a seat," she said.

He pursed his lips and took a seat. "You're really going out with him?"

She took the cap off her water and took a drink. "I'm planning to, yes."

"Why? You actually like him?" He squinted in disbelief.

Alex sighed. "It's complicated, OK?"

Joon Pyo scoffed. "Complicated, yeah right…" Joon Pyo took a gulp of water.

She watched him. "Why do you care so much?"

Joon Pyo grew pensive. He honestly wasn't sure. He'd lost control when he saw Hyun-Woo forcing himself on Alex. Sure, Alex was his colleague and yes, now he couldn't deny, a friend, too. Sure, he didn't trust the guy. Sure, he had some chivalry in him. But why had it bothered him as much as it had?

"I don't know," he finally said.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo visited Gyeongju. It was Jan Di's first visit there. They walked along together, observing the architecture of the Shilla dynasty and marveling at the beautiful rows of cherry blossom trees. They stopped in a temple to pray, hiked in the national park, and visited the Anapji Pond and Bomun Pavilion. Jan Di fed the ducks at the pond and snapped some pictures. She pulled Ji Hoo in for a few pictures together. They sat on a bench together and just enjoyed the silence. It was beautiful there, and Jan Di felt truly happy sharing it with him.

That evening, they drove back to Ji Hoo's. "Did you have a good day?" he asked. She smiled over at him. "Yes, it was a wonderful day!" He smiled back. "Good."

They arrived home and Jan Di prepared to go in. Ji Hoo stopped her. He hesitated, gazing into her eyes. "What is it, Sunbae?"

"Nothing," he smiled at her. Then, gathering his courage he leaned in and placed a tender kiss upon her cheek. She felt her eyes close, as his lips lingered against her cheek. She felt warm all over. Then, he broke the kiss. "Happy Birthday!" he said. She smiled, blushing slightly, and looked down. "Thank you."

Ji Hoo led her into the darkened house. Jan Di jumped slightly when she heard loud shouts of Happy Birthday and noticed Ga Eul, Master, Woo Bin, Grandfather, and her family appear as if from nowhere. They came out of their hiding spots and approached her, hugging her and patting her on the back and wishing her Happy Birthday. The house was decorated for a party, and she noticed a cake and presents on the table. Jan Di looked to Ji Hoo, and he smiled at her. Clearly he'd planned it.

Jan Di's family approached her, raucously shouting her name and hugging her. "How did this happen?" she asked. "Ji Hoo Hyung paid for us to be flown here," Kang San replied. "Happy birthday, Noona!"

Ga Eul ran to Jan Di and hugged her. She told Jan Di that Yi Jeong Sunbae had really wanted to be there but was unable to, so she brought him up on voice chat so he could join in the festivities, too.

The group sang Happy Birthday to Jan Di, as Ji Hoo played along on his violin, as she'd seen him do before at Seo Hyun's party. This time he did not look so solemn, and he would glance up at her and smile sweetly while he played. Everyone gathered around to watch Jan Di open presents and cards, and then they cut the cake and all had some. Grandfather had also insisted on making seaweed soup for Jan Di. Ji Hoo hung back in the shadows most of the time, smiling at her and reveling in her joy.

Then, Ji Hoo picked up his phone and walked away. He said a few words and hung up. He walked over to Jan Di and excused himself. "I'll be right back. I have something for you." Everyone continued to gather around Jan Di and talk with her. Ji Hoo returned after a few moments holding a carrier. He put it down before Jan Di. "Happy Birthday," he said again. Jan Di looked at him quizzically and knelt down to open the carrier. A little white Jindo puppy bounded out when she opened the door. Jan Di scooped up the puppy, and it began to her face and wag it's curled up tail. Ji Hoo crossed his arms and smiled, as he watched.

"Sunbae!" Jan Di exclaimed. "You got me a puppy?" She asked incredulously. Ga Eul and Kang San knelt down beside her to play with it, too. He nodded. "Well, you've wanted one since you were a little kid, right?" She beamed at him, truly touched. They both looked down, blushing slightly.

After the party, Jan Di bid everyone thanks and goodbye, as Ji Hoo made arrangements for her family. Her family was aware that Jan Di was staying there, and they didn't seem to mind at all. They were becoming rather fond of Ji Hoo. And why shouldn't they be? He was kind, charming, and wealthy, of course. He'd even paid off their debts in the past. The wealth meant nothing to her, but she was sure that her mother in particular was thrilled that she and Ji Hoo Sunbae were so close. Ji Hoo had offered to allow her family to stay there for the night, but they politely refused, so he'd arranged for them to stay in a nice hotel instead.

Kang San approached Jan Di alone before leaving and gave her a big hug. "Happy Birthday, Noona!" She smiled and hugged him back.

"I think Ji Hoo Hyung likes you, Noona," Kang San teased. Jan Di gaped. "Oh, you! He was just being nice!" She tousled his hair. "Go on now!" She shoved him lightly. Kang San smiled.

Jan Di's parents hugged her and wished her Happy Birthday again. Jan Di's mom warned her to treat Ji Hoo properly. They seemed a bit curious about what was going on with Joon Pyo and their relationship. She simply brushed the subject aside and told them that everything was fine, that he just couldn't be there, so Ji Hoo had taken over. She couldn't help but wonder about Joon Pyo, though. She was rather surprised that she hadn't heard from him all day, and she hoped everything was alright.