Cold Feet & the Symphony

Like the Lotus

The rest of the day had been rather quiet and uneventful for Jan Di and Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo had kept to himself for most of the day, reading and playing his instruments. Jan Di had busied herself with housework and laundry. She smiled at how awkward Ji Hoo always got when she attempted to do his laundry. He always withheld certain articles. What was the big deal? She was a dry cleaner's daughter after all. She was a professional!

She was now studying for a test for her Human Behavior class later in the week. It was fascinating stuff, really. She thought of how upset Ji Hoo had gotten with Sun-Young earlier. She'd only caught the end of the conversation, but it appeared that Ji Hoo had revealed that she was living there and Sun-Young had said something insulting and Ji Hoo had defended her. Still, she couldn't help but feel bad for Sun-Young. Sun-Young must be really hurt right now after being rejected by Ji Hoo Sunbae… Jan Di recalled her own feelings of rejection when Ji Hoo was with Seo Hyun and when Joon Pyo was engaged to Jae Kyung. She absently wondered how Jae Kyung was doing, which inevitably led to thoughts of Joon Pyo. She sighed and attempted to refocus.

Ji Hoo finally emerged from his room later in the evening. He made his way into the living room, where Jan Di was studying. She looked up and greeted him. He greeted back casually.

"Sunbae, are you alright?"

He nodded.

"Thank you…" she said.

"For what?"

"For defending me. I appreciate it."

He simply nodded.

"I guess it must look a little suspicious to others. And Sun-Young really likes you, so she was probably just hurt when she said that. I don't think badly of her."

Ji Hoo sighed. "I'm sure that was the case. I feel badly for her, but I just lost my temper when she said that about you. I couldn't tolerate it."

Jan Di pursed her lips and looked downward. He sat next to her on the couch and exhaled. Jan Di took a deep breath and slapped her hands against her knees. "Things have certainly been complicated lately…"

Ji Hoo gave her a weak smile and nodded slowly.

"Sometimes I wish things could just be simple," Jan Di said.

Ji Hoo stared out ahead. "Is there something I can do? To make things simple for you again…"

Jan Di grew contemplative. She shook her head no. "I think I just need to figure out some things for myself, figure out my life…"

Ji Hoo nodded and looked out ahead, as he listened.

"Sometimes I wonder about what my life would be like if I married Joon Pyo," Jan Di confided. She gave a short laugh. "I can't really picture myself living in a huge mansion with servants. And I don't like the idea of being in the public eye all the time."

Ji Hoo looked down at his hands. "All that really matters is that you love each other, right?" he muttered somberly.

"I suppose so, yes. I wonder if we would fight a lot…"

"Probably," Ji Hoo mumbled, still studying his hands.

Jan Di's lips parted slightly, realizing it wasn't something she could argue.

Ji Hoo looked over at her. She was suddenly very somber. "I was kidding," he said, nudging her.

"No, you're probably right. I'm sure we'll fight a lot." Jan Di gave a short laugh.

"You're not getting cold feet already, are you?" Ji Hoo asked, finally looking at her.

Jan Di smiled and shook her head. "It's not that. Just thinking. I just wish for a simple life. Of course, my family, especially my mother, would question my sanity after that statement."

Ji Hoo smiled. "Wealth isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I have money, but it's never really brought me happiness. I think meeting you helped me to appreciate the simpler things in life. You helped me to realize what really matters. Family, friendship,… Love… Even hard work, you led me to those things." He looked down, blinking, and cleared his throat. "Not to mention, if it wasn't for you, I probably would have never reconciled with my grandfather. So, I'm very thankful to you."

Jan Di looked down and smiled. "I'm very thankful to you, too, Sunbae. You were there for me during some of the hardest times in my life. And you never once complained about what a burden I was on you."

"What did I tell you? You were never a burden," he replied seriously. Jan Di smiled affectionately.

"I think you helped Joon Pyo, Yi Jung, and Woo Bin to understand those things a bit more, too." Ji Hoo paused. "If you're not happy with a life of luxury you could always talk to Joon Pyo about living more modestly. Drag him to your world, remember?" Jan Di nodded and smiled.

Ji Hoo grew suddenly pensive. "Jan Di?"

"Hm?"

"Are you…happy?"

Jan Di paused and considered her response seriously. "I'm happy, for the most part. I've been feeling really guilty about Joon Pyo, and I wish we could get past this fight, but…my daily life has been happy. I'm really happy with what I'm doing with my life. It really feels right… And I'm happy being here with you and Grandfather… It's actually strange that I'm as happy as I am."

"Why's that?" Ji Hoo asked gently.

"Because I should be miserable since Joon Pyo isn't speaking to me, right? I should be really sad and missing him all the time, right?"

"And you're not?"

"Well, I miss him, but I don't think about him all the time. I don't get that fluttery feeling so much anymore..." Jan Di felt strange saying all this to Ji Hoo, but somehow it just kept coming out.

"That's normal. The newness and excitement of a relationship wears off after awhile."

Jan Di nodded. "I guess you're right. What really bothers me is that, even though I'm upset about our argument, I'm dealing with it a lot better than I thought I would."

Ji Hoo rubbed his hands together and leaned forward, deep in thought.

"Maybe it's because I'm here with you, Sunbae. You always seem to give me strength."

"It's not me. You're a strong person, Jan Di."

Jan Di smiled then grew solemn. "I wonder if Joon Pyo even still wants to marry me…"

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply and wrung his hands. "He does," he replied icily.

Jan Di looked over at him. "How do you know?"

He slapped his knees in frustration. "Because I just know, I know, OK?" He said, raising his voice. "Don't be a fool…"

Jan Di's lips parted and she looked down somberly.

Ji Hoo rolled his eyes and looked over at her. This woman had a knack for simultaneously infuriating and melting him. He sighed. "Hey, don't make that face…" He touched a finger to her cheek. "He does love you, and he does want to marry you…" She smiled weakly.

"What about you, Sunbae? Are you happy?"

Ji Hoo pondered the question long and hard. "I'm happy if you're happy."

Somehow that didn't seem like a real answer to her. He can't possibly be that selfless, can he?

"But why is my happiness so important to you? What about your happiness, Sunbae?"

Ji Hoo sighed. Don't you know?

"Well, I've thought about it quite a bit, and I've realized that I just want the people I care about to be happy. As long as Grandfather and you are healthy and happy, I can bear almost anything. My own wishes, they're second place."

Jan Di looked at him tenderly. "Sunbae…"

He sighed, realizing once again that he'd spoken too freely. "I should let you get back to your studying and do some myself…" She nodded. He put a hand on her shoulder before rising from the couch and heading toward his bedroom.

He stopped halfway and turned back to her. "Oh, Jan Di…"

"Yes?"

"I'm conducting tomorrow evening. Would you like to come to the symphony as my guest?"

Jan Di smiled. "I'd love to, Sunbae. Thank you for the invitation."

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded, and then he turned to leave.

"Oh, but I've never been to a symphony. What should I wear? I don't think I really have anything suitable."

Ji Hoo smiled back at her. "Well, I suppose we'll have to go shopping."


The next day, Ji Hoo and Jan Di walked around the mall together. They were on a mission to find an evening dress. Jan Di pointed out items here and there, as they walked along. She'd occasionally grab Ji Hoo by the arm and pull him over to look at something.

They passed a petstore and Jan Di eagerly suggested they stop in. Ji Hoo put his hands in his pockets and smiled, as he watched Jan Di gush over the puppies. She picked up a little brown and white furball. "Sunbae, look!" She held up the dog toward him.

"Don't get any ideas," he smirked.

She fake-pouted. "Just looking…"

"Hey, I already gave you a horse," he teased.

She smiled. "I know, I know. And I was very grateful!"

He smiled back. "We should go to the stables and see your horse soon. We haven't in awhile."

She smiled and nodded.

"You never did get that puppy you wanted, though, did you?"

She shook her head and smiled. "No, but it's OK. I love my horse." She cuddled the puppy once more then put him down.

They left the petstore and continued to walk around. They found a dress store and went in. Jan Di browsed the dresses while Ji Hoo followed her. They discussed several options and Jan Di took them to the changing room. Ji Hoo folded his arms and waited outside. A few minutes later, Jan Di opened the changing room door hesitantly. She wore a long gold, sequined evening dress.

Ji Hoo looked her up and down and grinned at her. "You look…." Beautiful, gorgeous, incredible… He searched for the right word.

Jan Di made a face. "It's too flashy, isn't it?" She turned around to look in the mirror, revealing the deep back. "No, I don't think so," he commented.

"Hmm, let me try another." She went back in, and he waited. This time she came out in a black halter style satin gown with a side-slit. "Oh, I don't really like the slit in the leg." Ji Hoo glanced down, making a great effort not to stare.

"What about this one?" Ji Hoo held up one with a deeper neckline. "Sunbae!" Jan Di emphatically waved no with her hands. Ji Hoo smiled to himself and put the dress back on the rack.

Jan Di continued to try on dresses. She would ask Ji Hoo's opinion, and he'd indicate that he liked each one. He'd simply smile when she found some flaw with each dress or complain about the price.

"What about this one?" He handed the last dress to her. She took it in. She exited once more wearing a black chiffon dress, short in the front with a long sheer back. It had a Sabrina neckline with crystal beads across the front and lace sleeves. Ji Hoo had to catch his breath.

Jan Di smiled and took a turn, as she looked at herself in the mirror. "I like this one, it's really pretty. What do you think, Sunbae?"

He gazed at her, suddenly feeling speechless. "It's…you're...beautiful…," he was finally able to utter, as a wide smile spread across his face.

She smiled. "Thank you, Sunbae." She checked the tag and her eyes widened.

He glanced at it. "Don't worry about the price."

"But Sunbae…"

"I'll buy it."

"But Sunbae, you really shouldn't…"

"I have plenty of money, and what do I buy really?"

"Still, I'd feel bad accepting this. It's too much."

He shook his head. "Geum Jan Di and her pride. Let me do this for you, please."

Jan Di exhaled. "OK…" She approached him slowly and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Thank you, Sunbae."

Surprised, he held her there for a moment, putting the slightest bit of pressure against her back. He could feel the opening in the back of the dress and noticed he was resting his hand against her . He felt his heart rate increase. "You're welcome," he murmured against her hair. Jan Di backed away slowly and lowered her eyes before returning to the dressing room. He released the breath he'd inadvertently been holding.

After buying the dress, they walked together. Ji Hoo insisted upon carrying the bag for her. They passed a jewelry store. "Let's go in," Ji Hoo suggested.

"But why?"

"For jewelry to go with the dress."

"Sunbae, that's really not necessary."

"Come on. It'll be fun. You can at least try some on."

She sighed and agreed.

The salesman greeted them in a friendly manner and asked what they were looking for.

"Umm, accessories for an evening dress," Ji Hoo replied.

The man made some suggestions, and he proceeded to bring out various necklaces, earrings, and bracelets to compliment the dress. Ji Hoo watched and smiled, as Jan Di sat there awkwardly while the man accessorized her. They left the store, Ji Hoo carrying yet another bag.

"Sunbae, you really shouldn't have let him talk you into buying all of that jewelry."

He smiled. "I know, but it just all looked so nice on you."

"Sunbae," she mumbled affectionately. What is he doing? "You shouldn't have done that…"

He sighed. "Maybe not, but I enjoyed it. It's nice having someone to buy things for…"

She stared at him.

"I don't mean anything by that…I just enjoy doing things for you."

"Sunbae…" Jan Di was truly touched, but at the same time, she felt guilty when he doted on her like a boyfriend would. It didn't seem fair that he gave her so much, and she had so little to give in return.

"So, should we get going?" he suggested.

She nodded. He put an arm around her shoulders and led her toward the exit, smiling. He seems so happy… She couldn't deny that she'd had a nice time, too, and she smiled to herself.


That evening, Ji Hoo and Jan Di dressed for the symphony. Upon hearing about it, Ga Eul had insisted upon seeing Jan Di in her evening dress and doing her hair for her. So, Ga Eul was in Jan Di's room primping her and chattering away about Yi Jung. "Your hair is getting so long, Jan Di," Ga Eul commented, as she curled her hair. She pulled the curls up into a loose half up-do.

"Ga Eul, isn't this a bit much?"

"No, it's just right! Ok, time for makeup." Jan Di was once again Ga Eul's real life doll.

"Your dress is so beautiful, Jan Di. And this jewelry, wow! That was really nice of Ji Hoo Sunbae."

"Yes. Too nice," Jan Di mumbled guiltily.

"It's not like he can't afford it," Ga Eul commented.

"Yes, but to buy all this for someone who is just a friend… And it's not even a special occasion..."

"Well, he doesn't really consider you to be just a friend."

Jan Di pondered this. "I don't think Ji Hoo Sunbae really expects anything from me."

"But he's still really crazy about you."

Jan Di had to fight back a smile. She immediately realized and felt guilty. She put on a straight face, but Ga Eul had noticed.

"So, did you make up with Joon Pyo," Ga Eul asked, as she finished her makeup.

Jan Di sighed. "No, not yet. He must really hate me, Ga Eul… Ji Hoo Sunbae seems to think otherwise, though."

Ga Eul thought for a moment. "I'm sure he's just upset. I agree with Ji Hoo Sunbae. I think he'll come around." Ga Eul studied Jan Di. "But do you want him to?"

Jan Di looked at Ga Eul, shocked. "Of course! I don't want him to hate me…"

Ga Eul nodded slowly. "Jan Di, can I ask you something?"

"Yes. What is it?"

Ga Eul pursed her lips. "Has something changed between you and Ji Hoo Sunbae?"

Jan Di's lips parted and she contemplated this. "No, not really… I don't know…maybe… Oh, Ga Eul, I'm so confused!"

Ga Eul looked at Jan Di sympathetically. "Why are you confused, Jan Di?"

"Well, I guess I've been having some strange feelings for Ji Hoo Sunbae lately. I feel very comfortable with him, but then there are times when I feel…uncomfortable. Sometimes he'll look at me a certain way, and I'll suddenly feel shy… It sounds so silly to say… And sometimes we'll share a moment that makes me feel…" Jan Di stopped and sighed. Ga Eul nodded and put a hand on her arm. "There's been some awkwardness, too."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I sort of…walked in on him in the bathroom." Jan di leaned in and whispered the last part.

Ga Eul gasped.

"He had gotten out of the shower and was in a towel."

Ga Eul stared open-mouthed for moment, then grinned at Jan Di.

"Oh really? How was that?" Ga Eul taunted.

"Ga Eul!" Jan Di shrieked, reddening slightly.

Ga Eul smiled. "Sorry."

"It was horrible," Jan Di muttered.

"Horrible?"

"Yes, horrible. Oh, it wasn't that it was a horrible sight, not at all. It was horrible because it was embarrassing, and it was horrible because of…how really not horrible it actually was..." Jan Di felt her face burning slightly.

Ga Eul nodded. "Ah, I think I get that…"

"Ahh, I shouldn't have told you that…" Jan Di grimaced, feeling disgusted with herself.

Ga Eul put an arm around her friend. "Jan Di, it sounds like you're falling for Ji Hoo Sunbae again," she said delicately. "Are you in love with Ji Hoo Sunbae?"

Jan Di's lips parted upon hearing the words out loud. No, I can't be… Can I?

"I don't know…I certainly love him very much as a friend, but I don't know if I'm in love with him…"

"What about Joon Pyo? Do you still love him?"

"…Yes. I love him. …But I don't get that same feeling I used to."

"Well, that happens when you've been dating for awhile."

"That's what Ji Hoo Sunbae said."

"You talked to him about it?" Ga Eul, asked, surprised.

"Yes, well we got into a conversation about life, and I told him my thoughts about marrying Joon Pyo."

"Really? Wow."

"Have you told Ji Hoo Sunbae about these feelings you've been having for him?"

"No. And I don't think I should."

"Why's that?"

"Why should I add more confusion for both of us? I don't even know for sure what I'm feeling."

"Hm. Well, you probably need to figure it out, Jan Di."

"I know." She paused. "Ga Eul?"

"Yes?"

"What do I do if I find out that I really am in love with Ji Hoo Sunbae?" Jan Di stared down at her hands.

Ga Eul pondered for a moment. "Well, I guess you'll need to decide who you love more. And then you'll have to be honest about it with both of them."

Jan Di nodded. It sounded so simple. I wouldn't know how to begin to do that…

Ga Eul hugged her friend warmly. "Jan Di… You'll figure it out, don't worry. One day, you'll realize who is truly in your heart. And you'll do the right thing. Those two guys really care for you, and they'll understand." Jan Di considered this. Ji Hoo would certainly be understanding, but would Joon Pyo?

"Well, I'd better get going," Jan Di said after releasing a deep breath.


Ga Eul smiled and the girls left the room. They went into the living room where Ji Hoo was sitting on the couch in his white coat and tails. He was impeccably dressed and groomed, as usual. He stood upon seeing them, his eyes glued to Jan Di. He stared at her for what seemed like a long time, and all she could do was stare back. It suddenly seemed as if they were the only two in the room.

"Jan Di, you look…" He searched for the right word among a multitude of strong adjectives that jumped into his head. "…beautiful," seemed a safe one.

"I think she looks just like Audrey Hepburn, only even prettier!" Ga Eul commented. Jan Di looked down, embarrassed.

Ji Hoo nodded in agreement and smiled affectionately at Jan Di. Jan Di smiled and continued to stare at her feet.

"Shall we go?"

Jan Di nodded.

"Oh, Ga Eul, would you like to go, too?" Ji Hoo asked out of politeness, rather hoping she'd say no.

"Oh, not it's OK. Thank you, Sunbae. I need to be going. But you two have fun!" Ji Hoo bid her goodnight, and Jan Di gave Ga Eul a hug and thanked her.


Ji Hoo's driver dropped them off at the cultural center, and he escorted her in. She recalled watching him play there and being on that very stage playing piano with him late at night. He seated her in the front row and apologized to her for needing to leave, wishing he could sit and watch with her. He smiled and rested his hand on her shoulder for a moment. He told her to enjoy herself before taking his leave of her. She could see the musicians poised and warming up their instruments. She watched Ji Hoo go over to them and say a few words.

After a short while, the lights came down and the symphony began. She watched the musicians move their hands against the instruments gracefully and took in the melodious sounds. Jan Di watched Ji Hoo conduct. He guided the musicians gracefully, his own movements flowing smoothly in perfect harmony with them, as a limb of the same body. She realized that she recognized some of the music from when Ji Hoo would play at home. Toward the end, she noticed that he was performing the song he said that he'd written for her. She smiled to herself. She remained there captivated, as each section joined together for a spectacular crescendo, realizing she'd been holding her breath slightly.

At the end, the lights came up and a powerful applause ensued. Ji Hoo presented his orchestra and clapped for them. The crowd began to stand. Jan Di joined the crowd in a standing ovation and clapped robustly. Ji Hoo turned to the crowd and bowed. Ji Hoo and Jan Di locked eyes, as he rose and she continued to clap. He smiled, seeing only her amidst the crowd.

The crowd slowly moved toward the exits. Jan Di sat and waited for Ji Hoo, who praised his orchestra and bid them goodnight. He made his way over to her and stood before her, putting his hands in his pockets. "What did you think?"

She smiled. "It was amazing, Sunbae!"

He smiled. "Thank you. It's all them," he pointed to the orchestra.

"They were wonderful. And so were you, Sunbae."

He smiled. "Thanks." He led Jan Di toward the exit. Ji Hoo thanked random patrons along the way who came up to him and complimented the performance. A man in a black tux approached. Jan Di noticed that he looked familiar.

"Ji Hoo, wonderful performance," the man said.

"Ah, thank you Dr. Jang." He shook the man's hand.

"Dr. Jang?" Jan Di asked.

"Oh, yes, Jan Di, you remember Dr. Jang from the clinic? He took over for Grandfather for awhile," Ji Hoo explained.

"Oh, yes." Jan Di bowed.

"Jan Di, yes, that's right. Nice to see you again. How lovely you look." Dr. Jang took a rather bewildered Jan Di's hand and kissed it. Ji Hoo scowled. Jan di smiled awkwardly. "Nice to see you." She bowed again.

"Well, thank you for coming, Dr. Jang." Ji Hoo bowed and rather quickly put a hand on Jan Di's shoulder and led her in the opposite direction of Dr. Jang.

"Oh wait, Yoon Ji Hoo," Dr. Jang called from behind them. Ji Hoo turned.

"Will you reconsider my offer?"

Ji Hoo considered for a moment. "I'll give it some thought," he said shortly.

Dr. Jang nodded and Ji Hoo continued to walk with Jan Di, ever so lightly brushing his hand against the small of her .

Once out of earshot, Ji Hoo whispered. "I really don't care much for that man."

"Why not, Sunbae? He seems nice." Jan Di was surprised to hear Ji Hoo express any kind of opinion about liking or disliking another person. He was typically pretty neutral.

"Oh, he just bothers me."

Jan Di nodded slowly, not quite understanding. She wondered if they had some sort of falling out.

"What was his offer, if I may ask?"

Ji Hoo sighed and continued to lead Jan di toward the car. "Well, he wants to buy out the clinic."

"What?" Jan Di exclaimed. "But…he can't…"

"Don't worry. Grandfather and I aren't planning on selling it. He's trying to make the case that Grandfather is getting along in years." Ji Hoo tightened his mouth, all too aware of that fact. "He said he would keep us on but take on all the difficult management tasks. But I don't know that I really trust him."

Jan Di nodded. "I can't imagine anyone else running the clinic."

Ji Hoo shook his head. "Neither can I."

"And I really want to continue to work there," she continued.

"Don't worry, you will."

Jan Di smiled. They got into the car. "And he wasn't making much of a case for himself tonight by kissing you like that," Ji Hoo commented, with disdain.

Jan Di looked over at him. "Sunbae…" she raised her voice playfully at the end. "Were you jealous?"

Ji Hoo turned to look out the window. "No, of course not… I just don't think Joon Pyo would have appreciated that." Jan Di nodded and looked out her window. They rode home in silence, Ji Hoo stealing occasional sidelong glances at Jan Di in the moonlight.

When they arrived, Ji Hoo opened the door for Jan Di and reached for her hand to help her out. "It's OK, Sunbae." But he took her hand anyway and gently pulled her out. She tripped unceremoniously, and he caught her around the waist.

He smiled, as she stared up blankly at him. He wrapped his arms a bit tighter around her waist and steadied her. "I guess it was necessary," he whispered against her ear. She gave an awkward smile and looked down. They walked together toward the entrance of their now mutual home.

"I had a really good time today. Thank you, Sunbae."

He smiled. "You're welcome. And thank you for coming. It was really nice sharing this with you. Music and the Suam Cultural Center were very important to my parents, and they've become very important to me, too." He grew pensive.

The night had an almost magical quality to it, and he felt as though it would all end somehow as soon as they went into the house. He and Jan Di would part ways, each preparing for bed. He had to admit that he'd been on Cloud 9 all day. He knew that it hadn't really been a date, but still, he wasn't quite ready for it to all be over.

"It's such a nice night," Jan Di mused, looking up at the moon. He nodded. "Mm." It was a warm night for February, and the moonlight was shining brightly upon them. Ji Hoo admired the way the moonlight delicately caressed Jan Di's fair skin, giving her an almost heavenly glow.

Jan Di sighed pleasantly and moved toward the front door. He turned to her and caught her arm. "Jan Di, wait."

"Hm?"

He took a deep breath and turned her toward him. "…I just wanted to tell you again…how beautiful you look tonight." He gazed into her eyes.

"Sunbae…" She met his gaze, feeling the increasingly familiar heat between them.

He wanted so badly to kiss her again… The dress was a perk, but it was her face, her eyes, her lips, basically her, his adorable Jan Di against the backdrop of the moonlight that was currently driving him crazy. They stood there in the moment for a bit longer. "I've wanted to do this all night…"

She stared at him timidly, as he moved closer to her, not sure what he had planned. But it wasn't anxiety she was feeling. It was more like…anticipation. What does he want to do? What is he going to do?

He suddenly stopped moving closer. "Jan Di, are you cold?" He asked, stirring her from her thoughts

She shook her head and laughed nervously. "Oh, no I'm fine!"

"You're trembling…"

"I'm not trembling...," she assured, shaking her head emphatically.

He smiled and ran both hands up and down the arms of her lace sleeves. He then took his jacket off and draped it over her shoulders and smoothed it into place.

She looked down. "Thank you." She wondered if he had changed his mind about whatever he had planned to do.

He nodded and looked down briefly before meeting her eyes once more. "Jan Di…"

"Hm?"

He took her hand in his and lightly ran his thumb over her small fingers. She felt her breath catch and stared up at him dumbfounded. "I'd hoped to be the only one to do this tonight…" That pompous …

He brought her other hand, the unkissed one, up toward him and bowed his head to place a gentle kiss upon her hand. His lips remained there longer than she'd expected, and he pressed deeper. She felt her chest rise and fall heavily, as she remained there frozen.

He separated his lips from her hand and looked up at her. He studied her, as he slowly lowered her hand and reluctantly released it. She looked down and her eyes darted back and forth for a moment, her hand still searing from the kiss.

She exhaled, her eyes still downcast. "I thought you said Joon Pyo wouldn't appreciate that…"

He sighed. "I know. I guess I couldn't help myself…" He looked away, while she continued to stare at her feet.

"I guess we should go in…," he said after a moment.

She chewed her lip. "Sunbae, I…" She stopped herself quickly. "Uh, nothing, never mind." She shook her head and gave a short laugh.

He smiled weakly and escorted her in. They exchanged a last lingering glance before going in.


Jan Di went ahead, smiling brightly and calling to Grandfather. She turned back to Ji Hoo and began to remove his jacket to return to him. She felt a vibration in the pocket. She pulled out his phone to hand to him and noticed Joon Pyo's name. Her lips parted and she looked to Ji Hoo, handing him the phone. He exhaled and answered the phone. "Joon Pyo..." She swallowed hard.

Jan Di watched Ji Hoo walk further into the dining area and saw him freeze. "Joon Pyo!" Jan Di heard him exclaim. She walked further in and stopped dead in her tracks, only to see Joon Pyo standing there at the backdoor of Ji Hoo's house. "Goo Joon Pyo!" She exclaimed, as he turned and saw her.