Valentine's Day

Like the Lotus

The night had been a restless one for Jan Di, for two reasons. The obvious one was that she was very upset over the conversation with Joon Pyo. She'd picked up her phone a number of times to message or call him back, but decided it best to give him space. This wasn't going to be an easy fix. She lay there wondering what he would do and if he would ever forgive her. Her mind wandered to the times they shared together.

Her second problem was much more perplexing…and embarrassing. She found herself stimulated by whatever sensations Ji Hoo had stirred up within her, rendering her unable to sleep. She could still feel her face burning and the tingling sensation. She felt badly for pushing him away, but it had to be done, didn't it? She had to admit that it wasn't easy. The touches had seemed more than friendly and almost seemed to be leading somewhere forbidden… Perhaps he'd only been trying to comfort her, as he'd always done, but for some reason it felt different this time. And she felt ashamed. She laid awake, clutching her pillow and fighting through the tangled web of thoughts in her head. Ahh, these two were driving her crazy in their own unique ways!


She woke after drifting for perhaps an hour or two at most. She sat up. Recalling the events of the night before, she quickly collapsed face down onto her pillow and squeezed it hard on each side. She wanted to scream into it, but that would surely be heard. So, making a disgusted face, she rose and prepared for the day. She headed to the bathroom drowsily. She wasn't a morning person in the first place, but to add on practically no sleep, was a dangerous combination. She didn't know how she was going to make it through the day.

She opened the bathroom door only to find Ji Hoo standing there with nothing more than a towel loosely draped around his waist. He'd clearly just gotten out of the shower. His usually perfectly groomed hair was wet and tousled. The messy look suited him very well. His skin glistened from the remaining water droplets that clung to his smooth, flawless skin. Despite his lean frame, she noticed that his arms, chest, and stomach were well sculpted.

They both simply stared at each other, stunned, for a few seconds before Jan Di regained her senses. She cringed with embarrassment and shut her eyes tightly. She tossed a half-hearted bow and a sorry at him before rushing out of the bathroom. She ran straight back to her room and shut the door. She leaned against the wall and released a heavy sigh. She lightly smacked her forhead, as she recalled the way she'd gawked, dumbfounded. I must've looked so stupid… Why did she have to fail to knock? And why did he have to fail to lock the door? She recalled when he'd walked in on her in Macau, how horrified she'd been. Of course, this couldn't have been nearly as humiliating for him as it had been for her… Still, could it get any worse? She took her time getting ready, feeling anxious about showing her face.


To say breakfast was awkward was putting it mildly. The events of last night and this morning had resulted in both of them freezing up around each other. Jan Di actually dreaded spending the morning with him at the clinic, which she usually really enjoyed. She hoped it would be very busy so she could keep herself occupied. As an afterthought, she recalled that it was Valentine's Day today.

The three of them sat at the breakfast table in silence. It was so quiet that they could hear the slow ticks of the clock on the wall. Grandfather looked back and forth between them. Ji Hoo was drinking his tea and staring down hard at the newspaper. Jan Di was staring at her plate as she ate and chewing much more slowly and delicately than usual. Grandfather chewed his own breakfast and continued to look between the two. He finished a bite and sighed. What's with these kids now?

Grandfather cleared his throat. "So, any plans today?" He asked, finally breaking the silence. He looked to Ji Hoo, who looked up but didn't respond, and then to Jan Di.

"I have a couple of classes after we go to the clinic, Grandfather. And then I'm off for the evening. I'll make something good for you tonight." Jan Di smiled.

Grandfather smiled and looked to Ji Hoo. "And you?"

"Nothing special. The clinic and then class, too." Ji Hoo glanced to Jan Di briefly then looked away.

Grandfather continued to look between them, and then he suddenly tossed his napkin down. "Ok, did you two have a fight?"

"No," Ji Hoo replied without looking up. He slowly took a bite of his food.

Grandfather looked to Jan Di for confirmation. "No, Grandfather, everything's fine."

Grandfather mumbled something under his breath and finished off the last few bites of his breakfast. "Alright, well let's be going then."

Jan Di and Ji Hoo nodded. Jan Di cleared the table, and the three of them got into Ji Hoo's car. The ride was silent, as well. Jan Di looked at her phone in her lap. Still no messages from Joon Pyo. She sighed and set the phone down beside her. Ji Hoo glanced back in his mirror at her, a hardened look on his face.


Fortunately for Jan Di, the clinic was busy, so there was no time to discuss anything or feel very awkward. Grandfather saw patients, while Jan Di and Ji Hoo greeted and entertained the patients as usual. Jan Di and Ji Hoo had also begun to assist Grandfather with some minor medical procedures they'd learned in med school. Jan Di was grateful for the hands-on experience.

Afterward, Jan Di and Ji Hoo drove to school together. The tension continued to be palpable, as at the breakfast table, and they didn't say much to each other. They separated for their first class and planned to meet up at their "spot" before going to their next class together, as they usually did. Jan Di wandered to the balcony foggily after her first class, which she hated to say, she wasn't very attentive during.

She arrived before Ji Hoo and looked out over the balcony at the lawn. She recalled looking out over the same lawn when Ji Hoo returned from Paris so long ago. She'd been pursued by some crazy fangirls after Joon Pyo had pronounced that she was his girlfriend. She felt herself tearing slightly. At the time she'd been so confused. She could feel that confusion mirrored today, only about one-hundredfold.

She didn't notice Ji Hoo arrive right away, and he made his way over and looked out alongside her. "Are you OK?" He finally asked.

Jarred from her thoughts, she looked over. "Hm? Oh, yes, I'm fine."

She hesitated. "I'm…really sorry about this morning." She looked down in embarrassment, the hint of a blush on her cheeks. The image of him standing there was firmly lodged into her brain.

He exhaled and gave a short, uncomfortable laugh. "It's OK. I guess that's one of the dangers faced when men and women live under the same roof. …I guess we're even now…" He grinned, recalling Macau.

She gaped at him and quickly looked away. That was nowhere close to even!

He hemmed and hawed. "It's my fault, really… I didn't think anyone would be up for hours, so I didn't think about locking it."

"Ah, well I didn't sleep well…"

He looked at her somberly. "Me either."

"And…I'm sorry about last night, too…" she said.

He sighed. "No, you were right. I'm sorry," he replied sadly.

"No, I…shouldn't have yelled at you like that. You were only trying to comfort me."

Ji Hoo was silent.

The tension crept upon them once more. Jan Di endured it for a few moments until she no longer could. She planned to wait, but she decided it was as good a time as any. She reached into her backpack and pulled out a box wrapped in a bow. "So, please forgive me and Happy Valentine's Day!" She said in her best cheery voice. She smiled and held out the box to him.

The corner of his mouth curved upward slightly, as he took the box. Jan Di leaned against the balcony and looked down. She twisted her boot into the concrete below her. He slowly opened the box. His lips parted slightly as he beheld Jan Di's signature chocolates. He recalled her leaving similar chocolates on his bike that had been intended for Joon Pyo. But this time, the faces looked like him instead of Joon Pyo. He smiled widely and looked them over, as if it was the best present he'd ever received.

He looked to Jan Di, truly touched. Almost immediately his expression hardened. "What's this for?" He asked, more coldly than he'd intended.

"Oh. Um, it's just to say thank you for always being there for me and for letting me live in your home."

He nodded. She studied him for a moment. "Want to try one?" She suggested.

His expression softened, and he nodded and took a chocolate. His emotions were very mixed right now, and he wasn't quite sure whether he was feeling happy, sad, or something else. He decided it best to just let it go for now.

"Is this me?" He asked with a grin, pointing to the chocolate face he held.

She chuckled and nodded yes.

"It's very strange biting into my own face."

Jan Di laughed. He smiled and took a bite.

"Hm. I'm very tasty."

Jan Di laughed again and pushed him lightly. He grinned at her and offered her a bite, which she accepted. They chatted casually and shared a few laughs before heading to class.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo drove home from school. Despite their earlier talk, the atmosphere still seemed uncomfortable between them. They had both been very silent. Jan Di looked over at Ji Hoo here and there and noticed him open his mouth to speak a few times, but nothing came out.

She glanced over at him. "Are you OK?"

He smiled weakly, as he continued to drive. "Yes, don't worry."

She nodded and looked out of the front window absentmindedly.

"Jan Di," Ji Hoo began nervously, after taking a deep breath.

"Hm?"

"I…have a date tonight."

Her lips parted and she turned slowly to look at him. He was avoiding her gaze. "Oh." She turned to look out the side window. "That's nice…"

He continued to stare out.

"Is it Sun-Young?" She continued looking out.

"Yes. She asked me out for Valentine's Day."

Jan Di looked down at her hands. "Ah, that's nice." Jan Di wasn't sure why she kept saying nice. It just seemed like such a feeble word, but it was all she could think to say.

"Will you…be alright?" He asked.

She looked at him quizzically.

"Being alone with Grandfather, I mean."

Jan Di chuckled half-heartedly. "Oh, sure. I was planning on making a big meal for him tonight."

Ji Hoo gave a small smile. "He'll like that." He paused. "Have you heard from Joon Pyo?"

Jan Di looked down at her hands again and wrung them. "Not yet."

"I could stay home…" He began, sounding almost eager.

"No, no, you should go and have a good time," she cut in without looking at him, not wanting to be an object of pity.

He nodded slowly.

"She's nice." Jan Di commented, emotionlessly.

"Yes, she is," he replied, equally indifferent.

The remainder of the drive was quiet.


Back at the house, Jan Di prepared dinner for herself and Grandfather, while Ji Hoo dressed for his date. Jan Di's mind wandered. It felt very strange, Ji Hoo going on a date. But why should it? She wondered when this had been arranged. She hadn't thought he was very interested in Sun-Young, but perhaps he was. Had he changed his mind about her?

She recalled the night before, the way he'd touched her, firmly but delicately… The way he'd gently spoken to her… The way he'd her hair… The way he'd comforted her… But why is he so suddenly going out with someone? She'd thought last night meant something more, but perhaps he was just being Ji Hoo… She tried to pinpoint what she was feeling exactly. Was she upset? Was she angry? Why should she be? They weren't together, and she'd told him only the night before that she wanted Joon Pyo to trust her. She'd pushed him away, and she was still with Joon Pyo, at least she thought she was… She wasn't really sure where they stood right now.

Feeling such things as jealousy was useless, wasn't it? It wasn't as if Ji Hoo hadn't waited a long time for her. It wasn't as if she'd ever really given him any hope. Why should he even consider waiting around longer for her? She'd become too comfortable. She'd relied too much that he would always be there. But perhaps he wouldn't be. And why should he continue to wait and remain alone? She immediately hated herself for her jealousy and for not being more miserable about the situation with Joon Pyo. She nearly burned the dinner she was making. "Oh!" She shrieked and pulled the skillet off the stove.

She readjusted the pan and turned around to find Ji Hoo silently standing behind her. He'd wandered in stealthy as a cat, as was his style. He was dressed in a sweater, white dinner jacket, and slacks. His hair was once again perfect, but she kind of missed the messy look. "Oh, Sunbae…" she mumbled in greeting. He looks nice. But then again, he always does…

The corners of curled upward into a small smile, as she watched him shove his hands into his pockets. He looked at her, as if waiting for some kind of approval.

"How do I look?" He asked.

Is he really concerned about how he looks for his date? She wondered. She put on a smile, reminding herself how much she treasured him and wanted him to be happy. She walked over to him, and her smile widened. He stared back at her straight-faced.

"Very handsome!" She raised her head haughtily and smiled. He smiled back at her.

"Oh, but…" She reached for his collar, which had become twisted. Their bodies brushed against each other, and her hand rested for a moment on his shoulder. He looked down at her and met her eyes. She glanced downward and finished adjusting the collar.

"Perfect," she replied with a small smile, looking back up at him.

"Gomawo." He paused and sighed. "Sure you're OK?"

"Of course! Hey, it's me!"

He smiled feebly and studied her, noticing the sadness in her eyes. "No word?"

She tightened and glanced over at her phone on the counter. She shook her head no.

"He'll call," Ji Hoo assured, touching her lightly on the arm. He felt more hesitant about touching her after last night.

She nodded slowly, as if she wasn't completely convinced.

He sighed again. "Well, I guess I should be going…" He paused, as if once again waiting for an excuse to stay. She simply nodded.

"I won't be out long."

She nodded again. He squeezed her arm and turned to leave. She watched him exit and wrapped her arms around herself. She held herself in her own embrace for a moment before sighing and returning to the meal she was preparing.

Ji Hoo headed toward the door and grabbed his jacket. He walked past Grandfather reading in the living room. Grandfather looked up at him curiously.

"Where are you headed, my boy?"

"I have a date," he meekly replied.

Grandfather raised a brow and looked at him disapprovingly.

Don't look at me like that, Ji Hoo thought. They continued their staredown for another moment. He suddenly had a terrible flashback of last time.

"You'll be alright?" Ji Hoo asked.

Grandfather scoffed. "Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Of course. I won't be home late."

Grandfather nodded before waving him off and going back to his book. "Bahhh…" Ji Hoo turned and left. Grandfather watched after him with a frown on his face.


Jan Di called Grandfather brightly in for dinner. He ambled in and sat at the table. He smiled at Jan Di. "Smells delicious," he exclaimed.

Jan Di chuckled and placed their meals on the table. She sat down. "Let's have a good meal!" She exclaimed and bowed. Grandfather smiled. As they ate their meal, Grandfather glanced over at Jan Di. Her face was serious, and she appeared distracted.

"I'm sorry you're here having dinner alone with an old grouch like me tonight," Grandfather mumbled.

Jan Di looked at him and smiled. "Oh, don't be like that! I enjoy having dinner with you, Grandfather!" He chuckled and smiled in return.

After they finished their meal, Jan Di cleaned up and joined Grandfather in the living room. He read, and she studied for awhile. Grandfather glanced up and watched Jan Di. She had put her book down and was staring out ahead, absently biting her nails. He watched her release a sigh and stand. He watched her pace around the room swinging her arms. She glanced at the clock on the wall.

Grandfather frowned. "Jan Di, child, you're making me dizzy."

"Oh! I'm sorry, Grandfather." She chuckled, and he smiled weakly at her.

She sat down and picked up her book again. She looked at it for a moment, and then looked up and frowned.

"Is something on your mind, child?" Grandfather asked, looking down at his book.

Jan Di tightened . "Hm?" She sighed. "There is a lot on my mind actually, Grandfather."

Grandfather nodded. "Well, if you need someone to talk to..."

Jan Di smiled. "I'm OK. Like Grandfather, like Grandson. I feel very lucky to have such wonderful people who care about me."

Grandfather smiled. "You know that I consider you part of my family, and I always will, no matter what."

Jan Di smiled. "Thank you, Grandfather. That means so much to me."

"And don't let that idiot grandson of mine get to you!"

"Hm?"

"He isn't really interested in that girl, so don't worry." Grandfather winked at her.

"But Grandfather, that's not...I wasn't..."

Grandfather smiled and went back to his book. Jan Di pursed her lips and grew silent.

She went back to her studying but couldn't concentrate. "Ah, I think I'll do a little cleaning, Grandfather. Can I get you anything?"

"No, child, thank you."

Jan Di smiled and shook her head at him before heading into the next room to grab the cleaning supplies. I know he suggested that I don't clean, but I feel like I need to do something…

Jan Di busied herself with dusting to quiet her wandering mind. She pulled out her phone and checked it. She decided to send Joon Pyo a text. She simply said, "I hope you are well. Happy Valentine's Day!" It seemed so lame, yet, it was all she could think to say at this time.

She dusted Ji Hoo's desk and then moved to the nearby shelves. She picked up a box to move it so that she could freely dust one of the shelves. It slipped from her fingers and dropped to the floor, spilling out.

"Oh!" She knelt down to pick up the items. She noticed a pair of mittens. They were hers, the ones with the lamb on them that she'd lost years ago. She'd wondered where they were. He had them all this time? She smirked. She picked up the mittens and looked at them. She smiled, remembering their first and last date back then. She'd finally gotten to go out with him, but her feelings had already begun to change at the time.

Her feelings for Ji Hoo had never been simple. She'd gone from appreciating him, to having a crush on him, to falling in love, to becoming friends. It seemed like they were never emotionally in the same place at the same time. Their hearts had never truly been free to give to one another. He'd been her confidante, her best friend, her soulmate. They truly did seem fated to be in each other's lives, but why did it have to be so complicated? Her feelings now, why were they so confusing? Why was it so hard?

She continued to put the items in the box away, ticket stubs from their first date, Macau, and recently from New York City, the drawing she'd done for him, and a number of small seemingly insignificant things to most people. It seemed that he'd collected all their memories and put them in this box, and they came flooding back to her. She smiled and felt a tear run down her cheek. She was clearly not supposed to be seeing this box, so she quickly picked up the rest and put it away. She sighed and went back to cleaning.


Ji Hoo sat with Sun-Young at the restaurant. She'd been smiling brightly and chattering away, about what, he wasn't really sure. He hadn't really been present. His mind kept wandering to Jan Di, the sad look in her eyes. He was worried that she would be upset over Joon Pyo. Would she be crying? Then he thought of the night before. The way she'd sunk into him and seemed to be welcoming his touches. It almost seemed as if she'd wanted… No, it was useless to think about it. She wasn't free for him to pursue. He thought of how she'd suddenly demanded that he stop. He instinctively tightened his jaw. He thought of this morning, how she'd walked in on him. They'd both been embarrassed, obviously. But now, he was wondering what she could have been thinking when she stared briefly before rushing out.

Sun-Young noticed his distraction. "Are you alright?"

"Hm?" He mumbled, stirred from his musings.

"Are you OK?" She reiterated.

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

She cleared and continued with the story she'd been telling. He nodded along, despite having no real interest. They finished dinner. He feigned not feeling well and told her that he was going to take her home early. Actually, no, it was true that he wasn't feeling well, but it was much more emotional than physiological.

He dropped her off at her apartment.

"I had a good time," she said sweetly. He had no idea how she could possibly say she had a good time the way he'd acted. He felt sort of guilty.

"Me too," he simply said.

Sun-Young pulled a box from her purse and handed it to him.

"What's this?" he asked.

"A Valentine's gift."

He looked at it. It was a store bought box of fancy chocolates. He thought of Jan Di's homemade chocolates with his face on them. He felt a smile beginning to form.

"Oh, thank you." He said. She fidgeted coyly and gave him a look as if waiting for a kiss.

He looked down at the box and tightened his mouth. "Sun-Young," he said directly.

"Yes?"

"You're a lovely girl…"

"But?" She frowned.

"But, I can't date you." He looked at her straight on.

She tightened and glanced down.

"I'm sorry if I led you on," he continued. "But I…love someone else."

Her lips parted. She nodded slowly. "Oh, I see."

"And I always will," he continued. "I thought I could let it go, but I can't. I'm sorry."

"Ji Hoo…"

"I'm sorry. I have to go. Goodbye." He turned from her and walked to his car. Sun-Young watched after him for a moment before turning slowly and walking into her apartment with moistened eyes.


Jan Di had cleaned the entire house thoroughly and was back to studying. She noticed it was getting late. "His date must be going well," she said to herself, a hint of bitterness in her voice. She checked her phone again. No Joon Pyo either. She sighed and frowned. She was upset that she hadn't heard back, but she wasn't all that surprised. She found herself wondering more about where Ji Hoo could possibly be. It was nearly midnight. He was a grown man, of course, but he never stayed out this late. Of course, it was the first time he'd been on a date since she lived there, so she really didn't know about his dating habits. Still, she'd thought he would be home earlier. Grandfather had already gone to bed. Perhaps something had happened to him! Perhaps he was just having a really good time…yes, that must be it….

She began pacing again. A string of thoughts paraded through her mind. Was he hurt? Was he still with Sun-Young? What were they doing? No, she really didn't want to know… Ji Hoo wasn't that kind of guy, so surely nothing would have happened, but he must be having a lot of fun with her to stay out so late… She went back and forth between worrying about his safety and feeling resentful… Then the guilt returned... She'd been feeling sad for hurting Joon Pyo and continued to worry that he wouldn't be able to forgive her, but thoughts of Ji Hoo kept intruding.

"Ahhh!" She rubbed her head. She made a disgusted face and went back to her books. She leaned against her fist and attempted to focus on studying. Just then, Ji Hoo walked in. Her heart leapt for a second. She breathed a sigh of relief that he was home.

"Sunbae…"

He looked over at her.

"You're home," she simply stated, rising from her seat. He nodded. She felt the strange urge to run to him and wrap her arms around his waist, but she didn't do that. Instead, she remained where she was.

"I was a little worried…" She muttered. She wouldn't elaborate about how she'd had a sick feeling in her stomach all night. She immediately regretted saying such a thing.

"What were you worried about?" He asked gently, as he moved toward her. He stopped a few feet from her and waited for her response.

She sighed. "I was worried that maybe something happened to you because you were out so late. But then I thought that you must just be having a good time on your date… Ahh, I feel so stupid!"

"You're not stupid," he said automatically. "I was walking for awhile. The date ended quite awhile ago."

"Oh. Are you…OK?" she asked.

He thought about it, as if this was a very difficult question to answer. "Yes, I suppose I am."

"Did you…have a good time?" She continued hesitantly.

He paused to think again. "I suppose, it was alright."

She nodded slowly. "Do you…like her?" She immediately regretted her forwardness. Was that something a friend could ask?

Though he had no obligation to respond, he decided that he would. "She's a very nice girl."

Jan Di simply nodded, not quite sure what he meant by that. It didn't seem to really be an answer, but she wasn't going to press it further.

"And you? Did you make up with Joon Pyo," he asked, feeling his body immediately tense all over.

She frowned and cast her eyes downward. "No. I sent him a message, but he hasn't responded." She felt sort of guilty that she hadn't pursued making up with him further. She'd only sent one message all day, and she hadn't even agonized over it that much. She'd been noticing lately that her feelings for Joon Pyo had been slowly dissipating, as a morning mist.

Joon Pyo, you idiot… Ji Hoo thought, as he ran his hand down her arm. She felt her eyelashes flutter. He stopped suddenly as if struck, upon recalling her decree against their physical touch. She met his gaze.

"Would you like some tea?" she asked.

He nodded. Jan Di prepared the tea, and they sat on the couch together. The tension was engulfing them once more like a fog. Jan Di remained quiet. She wanted to know more about his date, but she feared overstepping her boundaries.

"Are you hungry?" She asked, grasping for anything to fill the silence.

"No, we had dinner."

She nodded. "Did you have a good dinner?"

"Yes, it was fine."

Ahh, why won't he give me anything? Is he torturing me on purpose?

He looked over at her. She was staring hard at her tea.

He smiled. "I suppose you're curious about my date," he said.

"Ah, no, not at all!" She exclaimed. What, is he reading my mind now?

He smiled. "It's OK. You can ask about it. We're friends, right."

She frowned. The conversation was becoming very uncomfortable.

"What would you like to know? Where we went? What we did? If I kissed her goodnight? If we're going out again?"

Yes, she wanted to know all of those things! She looked at him. He was grinning at her. So, he was going to torture her! Why is he being such a jerk?

She pursed her lips haughtily. "I'm not particularly interested in knowing any of that, no."

"OK, I won't tell you." He mumbled casually and went back to his tea.

She frowned and shot him a dirty look while he wasn't looking.

He glanced over at her and smirked. "We had Italian, and then I took her home. I didn't kiss her goodnight. And no, we're not going out again," he uttered, still holding his tea and looking out ahead. He seemed almost peaceful.

She looked over at him sympathetically. "I'm sorry…that it didn't work out."

"Are you?" He looked at her seriously.

"Of course I am! I want you to be happy!" She exclaimed, irritated that he would even insinuate such a thing.

Ji Hoo sighed. "Well, I realized that she wasn't the one who could make me happy. She wasn't the one I wanted to be with tonight, so I wasn't happy at all…"

"Sunbae," she mumbled sadly.

Jan Di stared at him. He looked down at his hands, wondering what was wrong with him and why he couldn't seem to escape this hold she had on him. He sighed and wrung his hands.

"Do you pity me?" He asked, somberly.

"It's not pity! I just…wish for your happiness…."

He scoffed. "I'm happier sitting here on this couch with you than I am out on a date." He wasn't sure what he was doing, why he was speaking so freely. Why did the words just keep pouring out, despite the promise he'd made, despite the futility of it all?

"Sunbae…," was all she could get out. He wondered what she would do if he leaned in. But he didn't do that. Instead, he sighed and tossed her a weak smile. "Oh, I forgot something."

He got up and went outside for a moment. He entered once more carrying a dozen red roses. She looked at him curiously as he handed them to her. "Here."

"What are these for?"

"It's Valentine's Day. I hear that men give roses to women in America on Valentine's Day."

"Sunbae… But…"

"I felt badly for leaving tonight when you were upset, and I felt badly about the situation with Joon Pyo. Men also give roses to make up with women… So, these are to say I'm sorry…and Happy Valentine's Day." He paused. "It's only right that I give you a gift, too, after all. I hope it helps to cheer you up some."

She looked at them and a smile spread slowly across her face. "They're beautiful. Thank you, Sunbae."

He nodded.

"I'll go put them in water!" She got up and went to the kitchen.

Ji Hoo sat there and put his head in his hands. "Yoon Ji Hoo, you're such a fool."