Study Buddies

Like the Lotus

Jan Di and Joon Pyo talked for about 40 minutes.  He told her about how things were going with the business, and she tried to explain anatomy to him. It was a lost cause. She left out her recurring nightmare of killing a patient.

Jan Di ended the call and lay on her bed. She let out a sigh. I wonder if I bore Joon Pyo with all my talk of becoming a doctor and medical school. She released another sigh and walked the few steps across her small dorm room, which was almost the size of her family's home, to grab her anatomy book.
"Time for more studying."

She had a big exam coming up next week. She wondered if Ji Hoo was sweating it as much as she was. Probably not. He's so laid back and calm about everything. 

Jan Di had only seen him escalated emotionally a few times, usualy when she was involved in some way.  Yoon Ji Hoo was normally extremely cool and collected, but she'd learned to decipher many of his subtle emotions lying beneath the surface.

Her phone rang again. She checked the caller ID. It was Ji Hoo Sunbae. Were his ears burning?  Although, it wasn't uncommon for him to call her.

"Sunbae, I was just thinking about you!" she answered.  

He paused on the phone. "You were?"  There was a hint of pleasant surprise in his tone.

"Yes, I wondered if you were concerned about the big exam next week in Anatomy."

"Oh."  He almost sounded disappointed. "Well, I've been studying a bit. I'm not too concerned."

Of course, as expected…

"And you?  Are you worried about flunking?" he teased.

"Sunbae!"

Ji Hoo gave a short chuckle, as a smile spread across his face. He enjoyed Jan Di's cute, over-the-top reactions.

"Don't even joke about such things!" she demanded, fearing his words could easily come true.

Sensing her despair, he asked, "Do you want me to help you study?" and he paused.  "...I owe you as much after such a cruel joke and tempting fate like that."

"Sunbae! Um, well I'll be fine…but if you want to…"

"How will you pay me this time?" he asked playfully.

"Well, hm, I don't know right now…," she replied, hoping he never truly tried to cash in on all the favors he'd done for her.

"I'll come up with something," he inserted.

"You sound like a businessman."

"Well, I sort of am. I have the foundation to handle and the clinic is a business, so in a way, I am a businessman. But I was never very good at that. I hear you're better at negotiating."

"That's what I'm told."  And Jan Di recalled Chairwoman Kang's backhanded compliment.  As of late, Madam Kang had backed off her relationship with Joon Pyo a bit. Still, neither Jan Di nor Madam Kang had fuzzy feelings each other.  

...

Ji Hoo broke the momentary silence than had passed between them. "Jan di, when would you like to study together?"

"Well, whenever is good for you, really.  And I don't work on Thursdays and Sundays…"

"So, you're free tonight?" He spoke immediatley, without thinking.  And he hoped he hadn't sounded too eager.

"Yes, but you don't have to help me on such short notice…"

"It's OK," he paused.  "I'm not busy," and feeling the need to downplay his eagerness once more, he added, "I've been, uh, a little bored actually."

She sighed. 'He's bored? Must he rub in how easy medical school is for him…?'

"Well, then I suppose I'd be helping you out, too, Sunbae…"

"Where should I meet you?" he asked.

"Well, my roommate is at a study session at the library, so it's just me, so you could come here if you want."

"Ok. I can be there in 10 minutes."

And they exchanged goodbyes.


Ji Hoo had never been inside Jan Di's dorm room before or met her roommate. He'd always picked her up outside. He still had his F4 appeal, so she would sometimes have to endure squealing girls when he picked her up. It was a little annoying, but the university girls were a little tamer than the high school girls, at least.

Jan Di glanced around her place.  It seemed fairly clean, and there was nothing lying around that a guy shouldn't see.  

***

Jan Di's firefighter was right on schedule. And she answered the door in her hoodie and sweats. His attire was dressier, as usual. He wore white slacks and a sweater. They greeted each other and she welcomed him in.

"Do I get a tour?" he asked.

"Sure, but this is it basically."

Ji Hoo nodded and followed her, looking around. He noted the size of the place.  Ji Hoo had never been one to really care for expensive things, despite his wealth.  And he wondered what it would be like to live in a dorm room, finding it a bit ironic that he would probably have never set foot in one if not for Jan Di.  It was simply another first she'd led him to. . . 

She showed him the two main rooms, a living area and small kitchen, which were separated by a thin room divider, and then she showed him her room.     

"It's basic, but it works," she said, upon finishing the tour. "Would you like some tea?"

"Sure."

She invited him to make himself comfortable and prepared some green tea. He took a seat on the mat in front of a kotatsu style table. "Do you still see Woo Bin Sunbae?" she called out from the kitchen nook, as she poured the hot water.  

"Occasionally. He's got his hands full with taking over his family business, though."

"And what about Yi Jung, do you talk to him in Sweden?"

"I have a few times," Ji Hoo stated simply, being the man of few words that he was.  

"I think he and Ga Eul really like each other," Jan Di commented, bringing out the tea and pouring a cup for each of them.

"Yea, he's really changed, and he seems happy when he speaks of her."

"It must be so hard for them, being so far away from each other, though," Jan Di noted with a subtle sadness.

The irony was not lost on Ji Hoo. "...Has it been hard for you?" he asked directly, looking up to meet her gaze.

Jan Di hesitated. "Yes, a bit. But not as hard as I thought. I've been so busy that I haven't thought about it a lot."

Ji Hoo had to admit that he was surprised by her casual response, but Jan Di had always been one to put on a strong front.

"Do you get lonely for him?" Ji Hoo asked without looking at her, unsure why he was tormenting himself by asking these personal questions.

Jan Di felt suddenly a bit uneasy. She cleared .  "I don't have time for being lonely!" she exclaimed with a raised voice. "And you keep me company, Sunbae.  So, how could I be lonely?" she smiled at him.  

Ji Hoo smiled faintly back.  Her comment brough him simultaneous joy and sadness.

"And really, this is nothing compared to the obstacles we've been through so far," she added plainly.  She took a sip of her tea and glanced down.

Ji Hoo flinched. He assumed this must be her way of asserting how strong their relationship was.

"That's true."  It was no secret that Jan Di and Joon Pyo had weathered many storms.

He decided to change the subject. "So, should we get down to business?"

Noticing the change in his demeanor, she replied, "Oh. Yes, we should!"

***  

Ji Hoo and Jan Di studied for a couple hours. Ji Hoo went through her flash cards with her and gave her a few pop quizzes. And the material seemed to be getting more ingrained. "You're a good teacher," she commented, as she flipped through her textbook.

"Oh. No one has ever told me that before," he replied.

"Well, you are." 

A small smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips.  "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes. Thanks for answering the emergency bell, again," she spoke with a wry smile. 

"Anytime," he said sweetly. "As far as payment goes…"

"Oh right.  OK!  I'm ready.  What's it going to be?" she asked cheerfully, stuffing her hands in the pockets of her hoodie and sitting upright as she prepared for the fee.

"Go out with me," he said.  His words were steady, and his face was completely serious.

"Huh?!" Jan Di gaped.  And she felt a slight blush forming. What?!

Ji Hoo revealed his flawless smile and gave a little laugh. "I mean, spend the day with me…on Sunday. You're off work, right."

"Um, yes, well…sure," she stumbled through the words, still taken aback a bit.

"Ok then. It's a date."  And he couldn't resist poking her cheek with his index finger.  Ji Hoo grinned and gazed upon Jan Di, enjoying her cute embarrassment, as she stared down at her hands awkwardly.  Despite their comfort with one another, he'd obviously caught her off guard.  And Ji Hoo found it adorable that she could still get embarrassed before him.

Jan Di cleared , attempting to regain her composure. "Um, what did you have in mind?"

"It's a surprise," he said, smiling.

She returned the smile and took a breath. "Ok, then!"

They finished their tea in silence, and Jan Di cleared the table.

"How's Harabeoji?" She asked.

"He's doing OK," Ji Hoo replied, but she noted the subtle concern in his voice. "But he's not getting around very well these days."

Jan Di threw him a sympathetic look.

"He's still as cantankerous as ever, though," and Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. Jan Di smiled back at him and nodded.

***

Grandfather's health had been declining and he'd been in and out of the hospital lately, so he had been forced to temporarily shut down the clinic. Ji Hoo and Jan Di were both eager to help out, but Grandfather insisted that they needed to focus on their studies. Still, Jan Di missed her surrogate grandfather and the clinic. "I should visit him again soon," Jan Di stated, feeling a bit guilty about how long it had been. 

Ji Hoo nodded. "He'd like that. He's very fond of you."

"He told you that?" She asked incredulous.

"Well, he tries to hide it, but I know that he is."

Ji Hoo smiled, thinking of how he and his Grandfather were not so different when it came to expressing their feelings. "So, you're welcome anytime. He's home now. A private nurse has been coming to the house."

Jan Di nodded. "Then it's settled. I'm going to visit him soon!"

Jan Di thought about mentioning that Joon Pyo had asked about Ji Hoo, but she decided not to. She decided to instead go through the study material once more. Ji Hoo sat next to Jan Di as they both leaned against the wall in the living room area. As Ji Hoo read through potential exam questions, Jan Di began to doze.

Ji Hoo smiled. "I think you're falling asleep," he whispered.

"No, it's ok, I'm awake," she answered drowsily.

Ji Hoo grinned. "You're so diligent, little otter," he commented with affection, still focusing his eyes upon the book.  He began the next question but stopped upon noticing the familiar feel of Jan Di's head resting softly against his shoulder. It was not the first time she'd fallen asleep on him.

He smiled, allowing her to stay that way for a bit. Honestly, he would stay this way all night, just to be so close to this girl. "Goodnight, Geum Jan Di," he whispered.  He rested his head briefly against hers and took in the feel and scent of her for a moment longer.

With a sigh, Ji Hoo tenderly wrapped an arm around her and carried her to her bed. She was completely out, and she'd always been a very heavy sleeper. He smiled again as he laid her down upon the bed and covered her.  For a second, Ji Hoo considered kissing her forehead, but he refrained. Sighing, Ji Hoo shoved his hands in his pockets and headed to the door.  But he stopped short upon nearly running into a girl who entered the room.

The girl was about Jan Di's age; she was short and had long, straight dark hair, which was tied back.  The girl gasped. "Oh, I'm sorry!" she exclaimed.

"Excuse me," and Ji Hoo bowed to her in apology.  He simply wanted to go, but he decided it was only polite to introduce himself, so he said, "I'm Yoon Ji Hoo. I'm a friend of Jan Di's. Abd you must be her roommate?" Being rather aversive to social situations, Ji Hoo hoped the pleasantries would remain short.  

"Oh, yes, I'm Ga Hye Jung. Pleased to meet you!" she cheerfully introduced herself and bowed.

Ji Hoo returned the bow and mustered a polite smile. "Excuse me, but Jan Di is asleep and I was just leaving."  And with one more short bow, he left.

***

Hye Jung watched Ji Hoo leave and then went to Jan Di's room. She lingered in the doorway.  Jan Di stirred slightly from the noise of the door closing, and she began to wake. She rubbed her eyes and noticed Hye Jung just staring at her.

Jan di was a bit startled. "Oh, hi, Hye Jung. When did you get home?"

"Just now.  So, Jan di...who was that super cute guy that just left?"

Jan Di was still drowsy, so it took her a moment to register. "Oh. That was Ji Hoo Sunbae, err Yoon Ji Hoo. He's a second year."

"He's your friend?" Hye Jung sat on Jan Di's bed and leaned toward her.

"Yes." Jan Di had never known Hye Jung to be this chatty, really.

"Just friends?" Hye Jung's brow raised slightly.

Jan Di stared back at her.  "Well, yes."

"What was he doing here so late?" Hye Jung teased, with a mock look of suspicion.  

"He was helping me study," Jan Di answered plainly.

"So, there's nothing going on between you two?"

"No." She had no idea that Hye Jung was so nosey.

Hye Jung nodded in satisfaction.  

"Is he single?" Hye Jung asked hopefully.

Jan Di felt too tired to get into girl talk, but she had a feeling it was going to come to that.  Her brow furrowed and she hesitated for a moment before answering. "Yes, he is."

Hye Jung clasped her hands together. "Well, that's great! He's really hot. Do you think he would be interested in me?"

Jan Di was rather stunned, not that she was surprised that a girl would find Ji Hoo Sunbae attractive.  But for some reason she felt a twinge of some unpleasant feeling that she couldn't pinpoint.  And she wasn't sure how to respond to that. "I don't know, Hye Jung…I uh…"

"Do you think I should ask him out, or do you think I should flirt with him a little and see if he'll ask me out? Or, maybe you could ask him about me?" And Hye Jung took Jan Di's hands in hers, smiling hopefully.

The whole conversation was making Jan Di uncomfortable. First of all, she wasn't really into girl talk much, and second, it was Ji Hoo Sunbae and her roommate...  Her roommate wanted to date Ji Hoo Sunbae?!

Jan Di decided to get out of it as quickly as possible. "Hye Jung, I'm sorry, but I really need to get some sleep.  Can we talk about this another time?"

"Oh, OK... Sure!" and Hye Jung rushed off, still giddy.

***

Jan Di stared after her for a moment.  Then, she sighed and fell back onto her bed from her seated position. 

Wait, I guess I must've fallen asleep…did Ji Hoo Sunbae carry me in here? 

The thought made her blush ever so slightly, as had his joke about going on a date with her.

But that didn't make sense.  Why should she get uncomfortable around Ji Hoo, someone she knew so very well? And surely he was just joking, anyway. She was certain Ji Hoo had moved on after his confession to her 

But then again, the way he looked at her sometimes…

Jan Di decided to just brush it off for now, as well as Hye Jung liking Ji Hoo. She turned off her light and lay down to sleep. She thought once more about Ji Hoo asking her to spend the day with him on Sunday, as her mind drifted toward sleep. They frequently spent time together, but not exactly like that, and she had to admit that she was a bit curious about what he had planned.  Jan Di exhaled loudly and closed her eyes.