Lotus Part II

Like the Lotus

Being a woman of her word, Jan Di talked to Joon Pyo. She hated doing it over the phone, but she couldn't make another trip, and Joon Pyo wasn't going to be around for awhile. That was partially why she'd waited. But, it needed to be done.

The conversation had been long, frustrating, and completely emotionally draining. She'd shuffled out of her room hours later. Ji Hoo rose immediately from the couch and approached her cautiously. He'd been crazed wondering how it was going.

"How did it go?" he asked delicately, as he approached her.

"It was…hard," she replied, misty eyed. It was clear that she'd cried a lot already but had attempted to hide it from him.

He reached for her, and she flinched, as if she didn't want to be touched. He took her in his arms anyway, and she stiffened against him. He kissed the top of her head and held her tightly to him.

"I know, sweetheart, I know… I'm so sorry…"

Ji Hoo could imagine how difficult of a time Joon Pyo had given her, knowing his friend and judging by the sheer length of the conversation. He couldn't believe he'd agreed to let her be the one to tell him. He knew that he would need to talk with Joon Pyo, too. He needed to make his best friend understand, but he'd give him some time.

And Ji Hoo held Jan Di and let her cry.


Madame Kang sat at her desk in her home office. She sifted through a series of pictures of Jan Di and Ji Hoo together, pictures of them walking and talking together, holding hands, exchanging a kiss…

Madame Kang scoffed, "That little tramp… I knew that girl was trash…"

She called her secretary in and told him that they would be going now. She scowled and tossed the pictures carelessly aside.


It had been two months since Jan Di had confessed to Joon Pyo that she was dating Ji Hoo. Joon Pyo wasn't speaking to Ji Hoo right now, and Ji Hoo hadn't touched Jan Di again since.

Ji Hoo sat with Woo Bin at his house. Ji Hoo gave a long sigh.

"What's up, man?" Woo Bin asked.

"Oh, nothing much," he sighed again, "…How's Joon Pyo?" Ji Hoo asked, distracted.

Woo Bin pursed his lips and looked at his hands. "He's alright, you know."

"I assume he hates me…," Ji Hoo mumbled, dejectedly.

Woo Bin sighed. "Well, he was pretty angry, but he's getting a little better… It'll be OK, man… So, how's it going with Geum Jan Di?" Woo Bin asked.

"Fine," Ji Hoo wrung his hands lightly and leaned forward on the couch.

Woo Bin looked at him quizzically. "Just fine? You don't seem all that happy…"

Ji Hoo sighed again. "I am happy."

Somehow, Woo Bin wasn't convinced. "Things are OK between you two, aren't they?"

"Yes, they're fine…"

Ji Hoo paused, not sure how to express what was on his mind. He tightened his mouth.

"Woo Bin…," Ji Hoo began, "…No, never mind," he shook his head.

Woo Bin looked at Ji Hoo and raised a brow. "Did you want to say something, Ji Hoo-yah?"

Ji Hoo laughed at himself. "No, not really," he grew pensive, "Well…"

"Yes?" Woo Bin encouraged Ji Hoo with a nod.

Ji Hoo rolled his eyes. "Well, Jan Di and I haven't really had any kind of physical contact since she told Joon Pyo. We haven't been on a date. I haven't even kissed her again… Ahh, I can't believe I'm telling you this!" Ji Hoo stood and put his hands on his hips.

"Really? What are you waiting for? You've wanted this for a long time…"

"I know. I just want to give her time to heal… We rushed in too quickly before. And, I feel really guilty about Joon Pyo."

"How's Jan Di doing with it?"

"OK, I guess. I don't really know, honestly. She's been quiet and a little avoidant. I guess we both have."

"You two should talk about it…"

"Yea, you're right." And Ji Hoo knew he needed to talk with Joon Pyo, too. He couldn't move past it until he did. He resolved to go to see Joon Pyo in person. Then Joon Pyo would have to deal with him...


A few days later, Ji Hoo went to New York to see Joon Pyo. His stubborn best friend had been evasive, but he'd finally forced him to talk. Ji Hoo recalled their conversation…

With little beating around the bush, Ji Hoo said, "Joon Pyo. …Jan Di and I have been dating. It's been nearly 3 months now." He studied Joon Pyo and prepared for the eruption, but none came.

Joon Pyo's face was grim, though. "I know. She told me," he simply said.

Ji Hoo continued, pouring out his feelings as from a pitcher. "…I'm so sorry about all this. I'm so sorry we didn't tell you right away and for the way that it happened. I didn't intend for any of this, and I'll probably punish myself for the rest of my life for it, more than you ever could… You don't know how many times I wished she could have been any other woman in the world... And I tried; I really tried to get past it and forget about her," Ji Hoo closed his eyes and sighed, "…But I love her. I love her more than you could possibly know. She makes me so happy; I didn't think I could ever be as happy as I am with her… And I make her happy, too…"

Joon Pyo was breathing more heavily now. But still, Ji Hoo found him to be unusually calm. This was clearly the eye of the hurricane…

Ji Hoo cautiously continued. "But, as happy as Jan Di makes me…I don't think I can ever truly be happy unless you're OK with it," Ji Hoo continued, "…This isn't some game to me, this isn't about winning…this is about me needing to be with the woman I love," he said.

Joon Pyo visibly winced at his words. "You think it's a game to me?" Joon Pyo snarled.

"No. I know you love her a lot, but please…please, for once in your life, please relent to me. Please accept this. Please let her go…" Ji Hoo practically begged.

Joon Pyo appeared to consider it, though it was clear he was nearly bursting. He paced around the room and distanced himself as far from Ji Hoo as he could. Ji Hoo prepared for some explosion. And then Joon Pyo said, "If you're asking for my permission, then I'm sorry. I'm sorry, but this is the one time I can't give in… I just can't give her up. I have to do my best, no regrets."

Ji Hoo released a heavy sigh and covered his face with his hand. "Well, I hope you can understand that I can't give her up either," he paused, "It's really up to her. If she does choose me, though, I hope that you'll get to a point where you don't hate me anymore."

Joon Pyo paused for a long time. "Ji Hoo-yah…I'm going to ask her to marry me."

Ji Hoo felt like the wind had been knocked out of him. He was silent for a very long time. Was Joon Pyo crazy? Why would he say such a thing after what he'd told him, after the speech he'd just given?

"I wanted to talk to you first about it," Joon Pyo said, shoving his hands into his pockets. They were balled into fists now.

Ji Hoo scoffed. Joon Pyo was unbelievable. "Are you asking me for permission now?"

"I guess I am."

"Normally you hear about men asking the father for permission to propose. I am definitely not her father, so why ask me? …Not to mention, I just told you that she and I have been dating. How could you possibly ask her? Did you forget, did you think I was joking?"

Joon Pyo turned to face Ji Hoo from across the room. His eyes were reddened. Both men stared at each other tensely. "No, I know you are serious. And I know how much you love her…" It appeared Joon Pyo was shaking lighty, but Ji Hoo couldn't quite tell from the distance.

"That's why I'm asking you," Joon Pyo said, "I just have to know, I have to try."

Ji Hoo scoffed and ran a hand through his now slightly wavy, coffee-colored locks.

"You're unbelievable!" Ji Hoo said it aloud this time. "…Well, if you're asking me Joon Pyo, then no. No, I don't give you my permission to ask my girlfriend to marry you." It sounded incredibly ridiculous saying it that way. "But I also can't stop you. So, I guess we're at a stalemate. I guess it's just on her, then. So be it. Ask her if you must!" Ji Hoo turned and stormed past Joon Pyo and left.

***

"The lotus flower blooms most beautifully from the deepest and thickest mud" – Buddhist Proverb

Jan Di and Ji Hoo walked hand-in-hand down the street. A black car pulled up near them, and a group of men in black suits stepped out. Jan Di's hand fell from Ji Hoo's.

Madam Kang slid out of the car and stood before them, wearing a raw expression. Jan Di and Ji Hoo instinctively bowed. Madam Kang pursed her lips and folded her arms. She looked between them.

"Um, hello, Madam Kang…" Jan Di bowed again and looked at her sheepishly.

Madam Kang stared for a moment. She looked disapprovingly at Jan Di and Ji Hoo. She turned to Jan Di.

"I'm going to keep this brief. From now on, you'll be living in my home," she announced suddenly.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo gaped at her. "Excuse me?" Jan Di blurted out.

Madam Kang gave a snort. "Still so ill-mannered… I've decided to accept you. I don't understand why my son would choose someone…like you," Madam Kang's words dripped with derision, "…Nor do I particularly care for it, but if my son wishes to marry you, then I will allow it. But, you will not be an embarrassment to this family. So, you will be living in my household until the wedding, and you'll be trained to be a proper wife for Goo Joon Pyo. You'll be made credible."

Jan Di's mouth dropped. She glanced downward and her eyes darted back and forth wildly. Living there? Trained? Hadn't Joon Pyo told her?

Ji Hoo flinched. He felt his stomach drop and crazed thoughts rampaged through his head. Did Joon Pyo propose to Jan Di after all? No, surely not! Surely Joon Pyo wouldn't stoop this low! Did he know anything about this? He couldn't possibly have known about this, could he? Was this some last desperate ploy to keep her for himself? No, he wouldn't resort to getting his mother involved! But why would she…? She never liked Jan Di…

Ji Hoo looked to Jan Di, who was staring at Madam Kang, clearly in shock.

"The first order of business, you are definitely not to be seen fraternizing with other men," Madam Kang glanced to Ji Hoo, with a look of condemnation.

"You will not humiliate my son," she said, returning her malicious gaze to Jan Di.

Jan Di looked to Ji Hoo and shook her head vigorously. Her eyes desperately pleaded for him to understand, to convey that she had no idea what was going on, nor had she agreed to anything.

Ji Hoo could feel his insides twisting and burning. He desperately wanted to stick up for Jan Di. He opened his mouth to speak but found that nothing came out.

Jan Di began to speak, as well, "But…" What's wrong with me? She'd stood up to Madam Kang before. She should simply tell her that she and Joon Pyo had broken up, but she too had suddenly been rendered incapable of speech.

Finally, Ji Hoo found his voice, "Madam Kang, with all due respect-" he began.

"Be quiet," she snarled. "This is none of your business!"

Ji Hoo grew silent, his eyes burning. He felt his chest beginning to rise and fall heavily, and he quickly felt himself losing any semblance of composure.

Madam Kang Jan Di again. "You dare to treat the great Goo Joon Pyo this way! Who do you think you are? You worthless little…"

"Now, hold on!" Ji Hoo demanded, through gritted teeth, quickly losing what little control that remained.

"I said be quiet! How dare you speak to an elder in such a way!" Madam Kang pursed her lips and glared at Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo stopped talking once more and slowly seethed. The hands he'd kept behind his back had fallen to his sides and were balled into fists.

"This ends here. You are not to see each other again," Madam Kang proclaimed. Jan Di and Ji Hoo simultaneously felt the sting.

Madam Kang glanced to the men. "Take her."

Jan Di was quickly taken by each arm by two men. She struggled and looked to Ji Hoo helplessly. He stared back at her for a moment. "No!" Ji Hoo shouted and moved forward. One of the men put his hand out and touched Ji Hoo's chest, holding him back. Ji Hoo resisted, and two other men grabbed Ji Hoo by the arms.

"No?" Madame Kang questioned, "You should know your place..."

Ji Hoo stopped and stared helplessly after Jan Di. She shot him one more glance before being forced into the back of the car, as Madam Kang watched with a sickly satisfied expression.

Ji Hoo pulled himself free from the grip of the men. Madam Kang held up a hand to keep the men at bay and approached Ji Hoo.

"Stay away from her…" Madam Kang warned. They stared each other down for a moment, and Madam Kang turned and got into the car.

Ji Hoo's breathing was rampant, and he was nearly coming apart at the seams. He pulled out his phone and put in Joon Pyo's number. He hit send and waited, trembling with rage. He got voicemail.

"Joon Pyo, your mother's thugs just dragged Jan Di off to your house! What's going on? Call me back, immediately!" he shouted into the phone. He hung up, slipped the phone into his pocket, and buried his face in both hands.