The Party & the Injury

Like the Lotus

Joon Pyo and Alex were escorted to the living room by a timid maid. The mansion possessed the heady scent of cinnamon and pine. They could hear voices emanating from the next room.

"Ah, JoonPyo, Alex." Mr. Lee rose and walked up to greet the two as they entered the living room area. Alex gave her father a casual nod. "Father."

"Alex, you're looking well," Mr. Lee responded. The greeting was more akin to a casual acquaintance who hadn't been seen in awhile than a daughter. He turned to Joon Pyo.

Mr. Lee bowed and smiled at Joon Pyo. "There he is! Good to see you, Joon Pyo. I've been hearing very good things about you and the business."

Joon Pyo bowed and nodded. "Thank you."

"There are some people I'd like for you to meet, Joon Pyo." Mr. Lee clapped Joon Pyo on the arm and whisked him off to a group of men who appeared to be more colleages than friends. Alex was left behind. Alex smirked at the interaction, not at all surprised.

The atmosphere in the room was stuffy and cold, despite obvious efforts to make it appear inviting and homey. The room was primarily filled with business associates and family friends of Alex's parents. Mr. Lee monopolized Joon Pyo, introducing him to multiple associates and finally to his wife. The talk was mainly business, as Alex had predicted. Joon Pyo had hoped for distraction, but the business talk was failing miserably at taking his mind off Jan Di. He kept reliving their latest unpleasant interaction. His anger and hurt persisted, but he also felt guilt creeping in. He felt guilty for what he'd said. He felt guilty that he was there instead of working things out with Jan Di.

As the night wore on and business talk subsided, Joon Pyo endured inane conversations about land holdings, frivolous spending, and the occasional lewd joke. Amidst one of Mr. Lee's colleagues's seemingly unending personal anecdotes about screwing someone over, Joon Pyo exchanged desperate glances with Alex. Alex was mingling with a subgroup of her mother's friends, who could only seem to talk about her finding a suitably matched husband.

Alex excused herself and made her way to Joon Pyo, who was surrounded by her father and four other pompous older men.

"Excuse me, gentlemen…" Alex began. Her father cut her off.

Mr. Lee turned to Alex. "This is a good man here," Mr. Lee patted Joon Pyo on the back. Alex nodded.

"It's a good thing we have him onboard. Alex, you could learn a lot from this man." Alex turned and scoffed subtly. Mr. Lee and his colleages gave several backdoor compliments and made some subtle jabs and passive aggressive comments toward Alex. Alex tightened to refrain from saying what she was thinking.

"Actually, Ms. Lee here has been an asset in this company and the recent merger." Joon Pyo stepped in, suddenly feeling both annoyed and oddly protective. "More than that. I don't think the company would run without her."

Alex's lips parted and she shot Joon Pyo a stunned glance. A grin crossed her lips and she looked down.

"Once again, excuse me, gentlemen. I need to borrow Joon Pyo." Alex gave the men a fake smile. She pulled a very willing Joon Pyo from the group and shot a subtle dirty look at the men over her shoulder.

She beckoned him out to the second floor terrace. Joon Pyo appreciated the fresh air and respite from the stifling room. He leaned heavily against the balcony and exhaled. Alex glanced over at him a few feet away.

"Thank you," she muttered without looking at him.

Joon Pyo simply nodded.

"You know, I tried to run away from this place several times." She mumbled wistfully.

He blinked and continued to stare out.

"There were so many times that I wanted a different life. I found every possible escape route there was. I was always dragged back eventually, though."

Joon Pyo knew all too well the feeling of being dragged from place to place and controlled.

"Are you alright?" She asked, looking out over the expanse of her family's acreage. It was dark now and the area was lit up with lights that had been put up by workers.

Joon Pyo didn't respond but continued to look out.

"Are you ready to talk about it?" She continued, deciding to get to the point.

Joon Pyo clenched his jaw and gripped the marble structure tighter.

"I know it's none of my business. It just seems that you're so happy with your girlfriend. I want to understand so that maybe I can help."

"You can't help," he said.

She nodded slowly.

"Why do you care?" He asked.

Alex pondered for a moment and sighed. "I don't really know. It's interesting… I suppose I find myself…caring…about you."

He blinked and turned to look at her. She smiled and scoffed. "Imagine that."

Joon Pyo sighed heavily. "She kissed someone else." He blurted after a long pause. It had been difficult to admit, to say outloud. It seemed to take some measure of manhood away from him.

Alex looked at him sympathetically. "Oh, I see…"

He grew silent once more.

"This other guy…who is he? How does she feel about him?"

Joon Pyo tightened his jaw and gripped the balcony tighter. "He's my best friend."

Alex's lips parted. "Wow…" She refrained from commenting on the dramatic nature of the situation.

"I don't know how she feels about him for sure. They're friends. She liked him at one time. Now, I don't know."

"I see. What were the circumstances of the kiss?"

"I don't know." Joon Pyo was becoming increasingly agitated about discussing it.

"Did you talk to them about it?"

"No."

"Don't you think you should? Maybe there's some explanation."

"What explanation could there possibly be?!" He barked at her.

Alex looked at him directly. "Maybe there's not, but you should still discuss it with her. You need to know how she feels about the kiss. Where the two of you stand. Don't you think?"

He knew she was right, even though he wouldn't admit it to her at this time. He looked out over the lawn and considered this. It did make sense, and he knew there needed to be a discussion. He couldn't ignore the aching feeling, though.

She watched him for a few minutes. "So?"

"So what?" he mumbled.

"Should we escape?"

"What?" He turned to look at her. She was grinning at him.

"This party has been extremely boring. I don't know if I can take any more." She leaned on the balcony and looked down below. She slipped off her high heels and tossed them down below. She sat on the balcony and dropped her legs over the side.

"Have you lost your mind?"

"No, I've done this before. We can climb down the trellis."

"Are you crazy? Why not just go back and excuse ourselves and leave?"

"This is more fun. Come on!" She challenged.

"This chick is crazy…" He mumbled under his breath. He watched in disbelief as Alex disappeared over the side. He leaned over and watched her skillfully descend down the trellis.

"Joon Pyo, come on!" She called up.

"Aish! What is wrong with her….?" He reluctantly slipped over the edge himself, not wanting to ignore a clear challenge.

Alex made her way down and hopped off the trellis with the finesse of a cat. Joon Pyo made his way down more awkwardly in disbelief of how he was spending his evening. Alex looked up and crossed her arms with a grin.

"That's it, keep on coming. What's taking you so long?"

"Aish, be quiet! I'm concentrating!"

Joon Pyo neared the bottom and prepared to jump down. His pant leg caught briefly and ripped as he clumsily dropped from the trellis and landed on the ground on his back.

Alex put a hand to and ran to his side. "Are you OK?" She knelt beside him.

"I'm fine," he barked, his pride clearly damaged.

Alex held out a hand. Joon Pyo brushed it away and stood. Alex chuckled. He glared at her and she quickly suppressed her amusement.

Joon Pyo brushed himself off and grumbled. "That was stupid."

Alex laughed and picked up her heels. "We succeeded though, right?" She grabbed him by the hand. "Let's go!" Joon Pyo stared at her for a moment, and Alex pulled him along toward the driveway.


Ji Hoo assisted Jan Di to her hotel room. She leaned against him with her arm around his neck and limped along as he supported her. Jan Di sighed.

"At least it was just a sprain," he said.

"Yea. I feel so stupid, though."

"No, it's OK. Accidents happen."

Ji Hoo helped her to her room and placed her on the bed. "I'll get an ice pack for you."

Jan Di sighed and lay back on the bed. Ji Hoo returned with the ice pack. He placed it on her injured ankle then placed a pillow under her head and propped her foot up with another.

"Sunbae, you don't have to go to so much trouble. It's bad enough that you had to take me to the hospital."

"It's OK. Are you comfortable?"

She nodded. "Thank you...Sunbae?"

"Hm?" He leaned against the wall near the bed.

"I've been meaning to ask how Grandfather is doing."

"He's much better. He's home now."

"Good." Jan Di paused. "I feel kind of guilty…that you're here with me and not with Grandfather, especially at Christmas."

Ji Hoo sighed. "He's in good hands, but I do need to get back at some point soon to see him."

Jan Di nodded. "You know, I'll be fine if you need to get back home…"

Ji Hoo pursed his lips, wondering if she was being considerate or banishing him. He simply nodded.

"I'm going to try to see Joon Pyo once more before I go." He looked down, dejected, and crossed his arms.

Jan Di nodded sadly. "Sunbae?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for today."

He met her gaze.

"I really had a good time. And thank you for being here for me." She knew he'd been blaming himself, and she hated seeing that.

He smiled and sat next to her on the bed. "I had a good time, too. …Sure you're OK?"

She smiled and nodded. "I'm just such a klutz!"

He laughed. "You do have a knack for getting into trouble..." He teased tenderly. She chuckled.

Without realizing Ji Hoo had been resting his hand atop the ice pack on her ankle. Jan Di looked down at his hand resting there delicately and protectively. She blinked and looked at him. They stared at each other silently for a moment.

"Well, I should go…" he cleared his throat and pulled his hand away.

Jan Di opened to speak, feeling the need to say some things to him, but she stopped short. Instead, she nodded.

"Make sure to ice that. And get some rest." He instructed. He stood and made his way to the door.

"Sunbae, wait!" Jan Di blurted.

He slowly turned and looked at her. She stared at him for a long moment.

"Uh, nevermind," she replied sadly. "Thank you for everything. Good night."

He nodded and gave her a small smile. "Good night," he said and exited the room.


Alex and Joon Pyo made their way to Alex's car. "I still think this is crazy," Joon Pyo mumbled as she beckoned him to get in.

"Did you really want to stay?"

"No, but now they'll be wondering where we've gone, and I really don't want to have to hear about it."

"Don't worry. My father and his associates were only a couple drinks away from not even remembering we were there. I'm sure it'll be fine."

Joon Pyo sighed. Alex pulled out.

"Where are you going?"

She shrugged as she gripped the wheel. "I don't know, just for a drive."

"I don't feel like it. Take me back."

"But…"

"Just take me back."

"Ok." Alex clenched her jaw and gripped the wheel tighter.

The two were silent for the majority of the drive. Joon Pyo finally broke the silence.

"So, your life there was pretty miserable?"

She stared out at the road ahead. "I suppose my family provided for me, but we were never really a family."

Joon Pyo nodded. He knew it well.

"What you saw tonight, that was about as warm and fuzzy as it got. I was never really treated like a daughter. More like a commodity."

Joon Pyo looked at her. It sounded all too familiar.

"But I managed to make my own life. I'm independent now."

"Do they force their will on you?" Joon Pyo asked, looking out the window.

"They've tried. Not so much now as before. I think they've begun to give up."

"Did they ever try to force you to marry?" Joon Pyo asked off-handedly, still looking out the window and watching the traffic pass.

Alex laughed. Joon Pyo looked over at her. "What's so funny?"

"Oh, nothing. …Yes, they have. There have been several attempted arrangements. But I suppose being in the United States has been sort of a buffer. It's not really done here, and I was able to convince them that I was more…useful here."

Joon Pyo nodded. "Your life here…do you like it?"

Alex glanced over at him and smirked. "Joon Pyo, are you trying to get to know me?"

Joon Pyo scoffed. "No way! Just killing time."

Alex grinned. "I'm… comfortable." She gave a small smile.

Alex dropped off Joon Pyo at his penthouse. "Will you be OK?" She asked.

"Aish, I'm fine." He waved his hand at her.

"Goodnight, Joon Pyo. Merry Christmas."

"You too." He gave a brief motionless wave and went inside.


Ji Hoo arrived at Joon Pyo's penthouse at about 11PM. Ji Hoo took a deep breath and prepared himself mentally as he rang the doorbell. Joon Pyo answered. The two stared at each other for a moment without a word. The tension washed over them slowly.

"What are you doing here?" Joon Pyo asked icily.

"We need to talk," Ji Hoo replied solemnly.

Ji Hoo braced himself for any kind of physical response that was to follow. Joon Pyo grimaced and stared as if through Ji Hoo before silently inviting him in.

Joon Pyo shoved his hands into his pockets and walked away from Ji Hoo. He stood in front of his large picture window and stared out, unable to look at Ji Hoo.

"Joon Pyo…" Ji Hoo began hesitantly.

"Say it." Joon Pyo mumbled from across the room.

"I'm sorry."

Joon Pyo clenched his jaw and continued to stare out the window. "For what?"

"For a lot of things. For the fight we had yesterday. For not being upfront with you. For kissing Jan Di…"

Joon Pyo tightened his jaw further. He felt his fists balling up at his sides. He remained silent, still not looking at Ji Hoo. He could feel his adrenaline rising.

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and shoved his hands into his pockets. "I didn't mean for any of that to happen. I was weak. It was all my fault, so don't blame Jan Di."

Joon Pyo turned to look at Ji Hoo. His fists were still tightly clenched and his body was stiff. "That's your excuse? You were weak?"

"I'm not trying to make excuses, Joon Pyo. I know that there is no explanation I can offer that will be good enough."

"Then why are you here?" He growled.

"I had to try. I need you to forgive Jan Di. I don't want to see her suffering… You may not be able to forgive me, but you should forgive her."

"You think you have a right to ask anything of me?"

"No, I don't. But it's not for me. It's for Jan Di. She feels terrible, and she really…" Ji Hoo looked down. He felt the words catch in his throat. "…loves you."

Joon Pyo turned from Ji Hoo once more.

"The kiss didn't mean anything to her…it was just a mistake…" Ji Hoo continued.

"A mistake?" Joon Pyo sneered.

"Yes."

"How does a mistake like that happen?"

"I was emotional at the time, and I just…kissed her without thinking. …She didn't reciprocate."

Joon Pyo exhaled heavily and turned back to face Ji Hoo, his face still hardened. He could feel the blood coursing through his veins. "And you? What did it mean for you?"

Ji Hoo exhaled and looked away, his hands still stuffed deep in his pockets. "That doesn't matter."

Joon Pyo continued to stare at Ji Hoo, seething and demanding an answer with his eyes. Ji Hoo exhaled sharply once more and gave a quick roll of his eyes. He took a deep breath. "…I love her. I'm in love with her!" Ji Hoo blurted out frustrated.

Joon Pyo's breathing sped up in response and his chest began to heave. He turned from Ji Hoo once more, using every ounce of his self control to refrain from lashing out at his best friend.

"Mianhada. I can't help feeling this way. I've tried to get rid of the feelings. I've even tried not seeing her."

Joon Pyo clenched his jaw tightly. He couldn't stand to hear the words his best friend was speaking. He just wanted him to shut up.

"How long?" Joon Pyo demanded.

"How long?" Ji Hoo asked.

"How long have you been in love with her?"

Ji Hoo huffed. "I don't know exactly. Awhile. I've felt this way for quite awhile now. It's honestly hard to remember what it was like before…what it was like to not feel this way. It's been…agony, really." Ji Hoo's chest rose and fell heavily. But it was somewhat freeing to admit to Joon Pyo. He waited for the repercussions, but Joon Pyo made no move toward him.

Ji Hoo continued. "But I want you to know that I'm not going to get in the way…I'm not going to act on it again… So, you should forgive Jan Di and make up with her."

Joon Pyo released a heavy sigh.

"Don't make her suffer for my mistake, please… I truly hope that someday things will be OK between you and me again…but for now…for Jan Di's sake and for yours, you should go to her and make up with her."

Ji Hoo turned. "I'm going now…" He sighed and made his way purposefully toward the door and left. Joon Pyo watched after him for a moment before grabbing a nearby vase and hurling it across the room where it shattered against the wall. He then collapsed into his chair and buried his face in his hands.


Jan Di was on the plane headed home. The last few days had been…eventful, was the only word she could come up with to describe at the time. She recalled her last days in New York City.

Ji Hoo had bid her goodbye very early Christmas morning. He had come to her and told her that he was leaving to see his grandfather. He'd apologized and assured her that things were going to be OK. He seemed confident in this.

She'd been mustering her courage to bring up the kiss. It had been bothering her greatly. She'd been over and over it in her mind. She'd wanted to assure him that he wasn't all to blame. She'd been afraid to share the actual effect the kiss had upon her. What possible benefit could it bring to tell him that she hadn't been able to stop thinking about the kiss?

She'd let him leave without telling him that she felt something when he kissed her. She felt like a coward, but she feared the ramifications of admitting how she truly felt about the kiss. She didn't want it to cause further confusion or problems. She wished things could just be simple.

So, she swept it under the rug and let him walk away. She'd seen the pain in his eyes. Perhaps he'd seen the pain in hers. She couldn't stand how she continued to hurt him over and over again. She realized it now. How she'd been doing so for so long… He'd come after her. She now knew why. Yes, he'd felt guilty and concerned, but it was more than that. He'd wanted to see her. He'd wanted her to choose him.

When Joon Pyo had walked away, banishing her from his life, she'd felt terrible. But she hadn't been devastated. Actually, a part of her had been strangely relieved. Perhaps she felt it was the punishment she deserved. Perhaps there was another reason?

Joon Pyo had shown up a little later on Christmas morning. He'd forgiven her and even apologized for treating her so harshly. She didn't feel she deserved an apology. If he only knew how conflicted she actually was, he would want nothing to do with her, would he?

Jan Di and Joon Pyo spent the day together. It was pleasant, but things had changed, she could tell already. She could tell that there was a wedge between them. She could sense Joon Pyo's distance. And it would not be easy to go back to the way things were before. Joon Pyo had been polite. He'd been accommodating. It was very clear that he wasn't himself. Jan Di supposed she hadn't been herself either. She could see that he too was hiding pain behind his eyes. It killed her that she'd hurt him.

She could no longer deny that her heart was divided. She'd been steadily walking a path for so long, but she'd come to a fork in the road. There were two paths now that could potentially lead to her happiness. But was she really free to choose? Hadn't it already been decided? She didn't know how to begin to choose any other path than the one that had been before her for years now. Perhaps the other path had always been there, too, but she just couldn't see it through the trees. Perhaps she felt a hint of relief when Joon Pyo walked out on her because she was beginning to feel that she could no longer offer her entire heart.