Seo Hyun

Like the Lotus

Alex awoke in the king size bed at the hotel, atop the satin sheets, still in her evening dress. Last night was unclear, but she could recall the significant events that took place. They had landed the merger, had dinner, drank copiously, and went back to the hotel. She vaguely remembered Joon Pyo helping her into a cab and holding her hair while she….threw up…in the bushes…outside of the fabulous five star Shinwa Hotel in Paris. She closed her eyes, wishing to mentally wipe the events from existence. Perhaps it had just been a nightmare?

Despite her embarrassment she couldn't help but smile at Joon Pyo's chivalrousness. She had no idea that such a caring individual lurked inside of the arrogant, self-absorbed jerk that had first crossed her path. She realized that she'd never truly thought that. That had simply been the impression her father had given her from his brief dealings with Joon Pyo and Shinwha in the past. But this Joon Pyo seemed…different than the stories she'd heard. Perhaps something or someone had changed him…

Alex groaned and clutched her head. She reached for a bottle of water on the end table. There was a knock outside the door. "Alex?" Joon Pyo called. She smoothed her hair and answered the door. Joon Pyo was on the other side, fully dressed in a fine suit and looking dashing. A stray piece of hair hung loosely over her eyes. He smirked at her disheveled appearance.

"Can I help you?" She asked, bothered.

"Hey drunkard, hurry up and get ready! The Gyoh Group wants to meet for breakfast before we depart later."

Alex scoffed. "Fine." She put on a confident air and turned haughtily from him, allowing the door to slam in his face.

Joon Pyo shook his head and sighed.


Jan Di busied herself at the porridge shop. Ga Eul watched her friend move around the restaurant in a daze. Even though it had been slow for the past hour, Jan Di had preoccupied herself with cleaning and busy tasks.

Ga Eul called to Jan Di. When she didn't respond Ga Eul went to her and touched her arm lightly. Jan Di turned as if a snake had bitten her. "Is everything OK?"

Jan Di frowned but nodded. Ga Eul gave her a "you can't fool me" look. Jan Di exhaled heavily.

"Jan Di, I know you've had a lot on your mind lately." Ga Eul and Jan Di hadn't talked much since the club. Ga Eul could sense that her friend desperately needed some girlfriend time right now. "Jan Di, why don't you sleep over tonight? We can talk. The walls have ears here…" She glanced to the kitchen and shot their boss a dirty look. He quickly looked away and went back to the stove.

"No clubs this time," Ga Eul promised.

Jan Di looked at Ga Eul. She smiled and nodded.


Joon Pyo and Alex walked silently down to breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby of the hotel. The Gyoh Group was there, looking dapper. Alex looked flawless on the outside, but her head was aching and she was still reeling from the precarious position she'd been in the night before. She found it difficult to even look Joon Pyo in the eye. What he must think of her? She berated herself for even caring about the image he had of her. Joon Pyo's enjoyment was vast. By contrast, he was relishing in her humiliation. Alex brightly greeted the Gyoh Group and they all sat down to a breakfast of French pastries and thankfully for Alex, a lot of coffee. Joon Pyo and Alex's flight was leaving at 6PM that evening. After their breakfast meeting, the two had some time. Joon Pyo was perfectly content to lounge around the hotel, but Alex was eager to see the city. She insisted that she'd had limited time in the past, so she'd never really gotten to see the sights. Joon Pyo brushed her off and suggested she go on her own, but she had very different plans.

After work and school, Jan Di went to Ga Eul's apartment. Ga Eul had a roommate, but her roommate was away, so she felt it would be the perfect time for a sleepover. The girls ate takeout together and talked.

Jan Di sighed and smiled at Ga Eul. "This is nice."

"Yea, we haven't had a sleepover in ages."

"Can we still call it a sleepover, or are we too old for that now?" Jan Di asked.

"Of course we can still call it that!" Ga Eul energetically replied. "And we can still talk about boys, er, men, now I guess."

Jan Di scoffed. She wanted to talk about anything but men. Jan Di played with her food.

"So, we didn't get to talk much since the club. I'm so sorry that happened to you! I was really worried. What happened after you left?"

"Nothing. Ji Hoo Sunbae just took me to his place and took care of me, I guess. I woke up there, and I had breakfast with him and his grandfather, and that's about it."

Ga Eul nodded. "So, what's going on with you two?" She asked, seriously.

Jan Di exhaled. She felt like she was constantly being asked to explain herself as of late. "Nothing. We're friends." She nearly barked. Feeling bad, she looked away and twirled her noodles around a pair of chopsticks.

Ga Eul shook her head in acknowledgment. She could sense her friend's agitation and confusion. Still, she continued. "Ji Hoo Sunbae still seems to be really attached to you. And you…"

Jan Di looked up at her friend. "And me?"

"Well, you seem to be a little bit attached, too. I mean, I know you're really close friends, but…you're always together…and he got really emotional at the club…and well…"

"I know." Jan Di replied, looking down. "I know how he feels…." She paused.

"I didn't tell you this before, but he offered me his grandmother's ring back when I left to live with my family at Saeuh Island. He found me, and he told me that…he couldn't live without me..."

Ga Eul gasped. "He did?"

Jan Di nodded, still looking down.

"And how do you feel about Ji Hoo Sunbae, really?"

Jan Di pondered this for a moment. This question certainly had no simple answer. Her feelings for Ji Hoo were…strong and complicated, to say the least. She had acknowledged to herself that he was her soulmate, but what did that really mean for her? Perhaps she had been sweeping her feelings under the rug.

"I feel…I feel…well, he's…my soulmate." She felt that was the only way to sum it up right now.

Ga Eul's lips partly slightly. She didn't speak.

"It's so strange….how my soulmate and my boyfriend, no, fiancé could be two different men…" Tears began to form at the corner of Jan Di's eyes. It was like a bonus, yet an injustice at the same time.

Ga Eul put a reassuring hand on Jan Di's shoulder. Jan Di continued. "I didn't plan to get so close to Ji Hoo Sunbae again, and I worry that I'll hurt him. But it just sort of happened… Joon Pyo isn't here, and I didn't want to admit it, but it's been lonely. And it's been hard. But when I'm with Ji Hoo Sunbae, it's no so lonely and it's not so hard…I feel comfortable, and I feel happy…"

She paused. "I feel like I can't seem to let go of either one of them… Ahhh, but that's so unfair, isn't it? I feel so selfish… What should I do?" Jan Di wiped a tear that had rolled down her cheek with her sleeve. If Sunbae had been there, it surely would not have made it so far.

Ga Eul took a breath and looked upon her compassionately. "Jan Di, I think that you should talk to Ji Hoo Sunbae about how you feel. You two either need to work it out or distance yourselves."

Jan Di nodded. It made sense, it seemed so simple…

"Anyway, I'm sure you'll both feel better about it once he moves on and starts dating someone." Ga Eul casually commented, taking a bite of her food.

Jan Di paused for a moment, considering this. What will it be like when Ji Hoo Sunbae dates someone again? Will he forget all about me? Will we still spend time together…? Probably not. The thought of not seeing Ji Hoo or spending time with him troubled her more than she felt comfortable with.

Ga Eul watched Jan Di, as she slurped her noodles.

"It's only a matter of time before he moves on if you don't return his love." She said matter-of-factly.

Jan Di looked at Ga Eul. "I know."

"Jan Di, do you still love Joon Pyo?" Ga Eul asked deliberately.

"…Yes, of course."

"And Ji Hoo, you care for him only as a good friend?"

Jan Di opened to affirm this, but the yes caught in . She took a breath. "I do love Joon Pyo very much, but I…think….I…may still feel something for Ji Hoo Sunbae." She closed her eyes and clenched her jaw, feeling like the most horrible person in the world right now.

Ga Eul nodded.

"We were practicing medical procedures together last night, and there was a moment when I felt…something…more…" She felt her heart flutter ever so slightly at the memory of checking his heart rate.

"You are attracted to him, then?"

Jan Di thought for a moment. "I always found him attractive from the start. I didn't think of him that way for a long time, though, since I got together with Joon Pyo, but lately I've been feeling…confused, I guess."

"Yes, guys and girls being friends can be very confusing. If one or both of the people are attracted to the other it's only natural that it gets a little confusing. You shouldn't feel so guilty about being attracted to someone. What matters are your actions."

Jan Di grew pensive. "I guess so…"

"Either you guys are going to move on and get past it or one of you will have to cut ties. If you don't, something is bound to happen."

This realization hit Jan Di hard. She shook her head sadly in agreement. I have to talk to him… "Thanks, Ga Eul," Jan Di sincerely replied.

Ga Eul smiled and gave her friend a welcomed hug. "I'm sure everything will be fine, Jan Di. You're probably just lonely. I know how that feels." Jan Di squeezed Ga Eul tighter.

"They'll be back before we know it!" Jan Di said in the most encouraging voice she could muster.


The next days were a blur to Jan Di. She had limited interaction with Ji Hoo, and they didn't discuss anything serious. Before she knew it, the day had arrived for Seo Hyun to visit. Ji Hoo picked up Jan Di in the mini cooper and they were driving to the airport. They sat in silence for a while. Ji Hoo looked over at Jan Di, who appeared deep in thought. Jan Di had been trying to gather the courage to discuss her conflicted feelings with Ji Hoo. She wasn't really sure what to say or how to say it. She took in the wind slowly caressing her skin as they drove along with the top down.

Typically, she could talk to him about anything. She mused upon how much easier it was to communicate with Ji Hoo than with Joon Pyo. Remorse crept in when she considered how much she'd been keeping from Joon Pyo these days. She should be able to tell her fiancé anything, right? Lately their conversations had been superficial, peppered with the occasional loving comment, such as "I miss you." She'd never really told Joon Pyo that she loved him. It was always a "you too" in response to him. Why were the words so hard to say?

She could feel Ji Hoo's eyes upon her. She heard him softly ask her if she was alright. She nodded instinctually, as she picked at the seam of her shirt. She'd thought the drive to the airport would be a good time to talk to him about things that had been on her mind, but she reconsidered. Surely he had enough on his mind with Seo Hyun coming in.

Ji Hoo had also been lost in thought. He'd been feeling the need to talk to her, as well. There were things to clear up… He thought of Seo Hyun. An afterthought. He and Seo Hyun had talked casually on sporadic occasions since she'd left for Paris, the last time being several months ago when she announced her visit. It was comfortable talking with Seo Hyun, it was familiar. He recalled the past, when he would see her again after they were apart for a period of time. The anticipation was almost too much to bear back then. But now, the thought of seeing her again was like a rainbow. Something beautiful and nice to gaze at, but then it vanishes and you go about your day.

Jan Di finally broke the silence. "Are you excited?"

He shrugged. "I suppose so."

"How long is she in town?"

"Two weeks."

"Ah." Jan Di adjusted her purse. "Do you two have a lot of plans?"

"Not really." He glanced at her casually and then back to the road.

Jan Di tapped her hand against her leg and sighed.

He cast several sidelong glances. "Are you uncomfortable?"

She forced a laugh. "No, of course not!"

He grinned to himself. "We're almost there."

They made their way to baggage claim and waited for Seo Hyun to arrive. She appeared, gliding along like a movie star, sunglasses on and looking perfect, despite the 11 hour flight. How does she do it? Jan Di wondered with a mixture of admiration and envy.

Seo Hyun noticed the two of them and waved exuberantly. She took off the sunglasses and put them on her head. She cocked her head to gaze at them across the terminal.

Ji Hoo greeted her first. He smiled and bid her welcome, as she reached out and hugged him warmly around the neck. He responded with a brief, robotic embrace.

"Jan di!" Seo Hyun shrieked and wrapped her arms around her.

"Unnie, so good to see you!" She allowed Seo Hyun to squeeze her tightly and lightly returned the hug.

Seo Hyun sighed contentedly and looked between the two of them.

"How have you both been?" Lumping them together as an object.

"Good." Ji Hoo answered first. "Shall we go?" He looked to Seo Hyun and then Jan Di.

"Yes." Seo Hyun said. Ji Hoo grabbed her bag and began to walk along a few feet ahead. Seo Hyun linked arms with Jan Di. "And what about you Jan Di? How has life been going for you?"

Jan Di gave a small smile and met Seo Hyun's chocolate eyes. "Good, thank you. And what about you, Unnie?"

"Things have been going very well for me!"

Jan Di was afraid to ask, but she was very curious to know if Seo Hyun planned to return to Korea one day. She decided not to ask, not wanting to bring Ji Hoo down if she denied the possibility. She wondered if Ji Hoo and she would pick up where they left off while she was home.

The girls walked together to the car, with Ji Hoo a few steps ahead.

"I'm still not used to you driving a car," Seo Hyun commented, smiling proudly. Ji Hoo simply nodded. "Jan Di, would you like to sit in the front with Ji Hoo?"

Jan Di waved her arms, "Oh, no no, it's OK, you can…" Seo Hyun smiled and nodded. Ji Hoo opened Jan Di's door and then Seo Hyun's.

Seo Hyun dominated much of the conversation on the way back. She caught them up on all that she had been doing. The two listened quietly, smiling sporadically throughout the one-sided conversation.

"So, Jan Di, is it true that you and Joon Pyo are engaged?" She turned the conversation back to the unsuspecting Jan Di, intrigued.

"Oh, well, that's…" Jan Di stumbled over her words. Seo Hyun leaned back and studied her intently, while Ji Hoo stared straight ahead at the road.

Seo Hyun chuckled. "I didn't mean to embarrass you, Jan Di."

"Unnie, you didn't, I just haven't officially accepted."

Ji Hoo pursed his lips and continued to drive silently.

Jan Di opened to explain further. "Well, of course not!" Seo Hyun interrupted. "You're going to be a doctor; you need to focus on that right now!"

Jan Di knew that Seo Hyun, of all people, would understand postponing marriage for your career. She nodded.

"I told you the shoes would take you places!" Seo Hyun brightly exclaimed. "I'm so proud of both of you!" Seo Hyun glanced to Ji Hoo. He gave her a small smile.

Silence crept up on the three with the breeze. Seo Hyun leaned casually against the armrest and gazed over the landscape of her former home, as the miles passed. She laughed.

"You two are both so quiet. I expect it from Ji Hoo, but you Jan Di…" She turned to Jan Di. Jan Di laughed awkwardly. "Sorry, Unnie."

Seo Hyun sighed. "Anyway, Jan Di. Ji Hoo and I are going to dinner later. Will you join us?"

"…Oh, not that's OK…you two should catch up." Jan Di fidgeted with her hands. Ji Hoo remained focused upon driving.

"Well, we should definitely get together before I leave! We'll go shopping."

Jan Di smiled and nodded. "Sounds great, Unnie."

Ji Hoo pulled up to Jan Di's to drop her off. Jan Di gave Seo Hyun a warm smile and sincerely expressed her happiness at seeing her. Seo Hyun returned the sentiment.

Ji Hoo opened Jan Di's door and began to silently her to the door. "It's OK, Sunbae. You don't have to walk me up. You have company." Jan Di smiled. Ji Hoo glanced to the car and back to Jan Di. He gave a short nod.

"Thank you for taking me along today, Sunbae. Have a good time tonight." She smiled genuinely. He nodded and gave her arm a squeeze before turning to walk back to the car.


Jan Di occupied herself for the next few hours with tidying up the apartment and studying. She texted Joon Pyo to wish him a safe trip back to New York. She wondered about his evening and the dinner with the Gyoh Group. She wondered if Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun were having a good time.

Ji Hoo pulled Seo Hyun's chair out silently. They sat down to dinner at a restaurant Seo Hyun had chosen, one that had been a favorite of theirs when they were a couple. The waiter brought wine to the table and poured a glass for each of them.

"Do you remember this place, Ji Hoo?"

He took a sip of his wine and nodded. "Yes."

They spent the next two hours in casual conversation. They talked fondly about their past and shared some memories and some laughs. It was all very relaxed. Ji Hoo found himself inadvertently bringing up anecdotes about Jan Di. He'd be reminded by some detail in the environment or the conversation. He found himself talking more than he'd expected. He talked about medical school, about Grandfather, about Macau. Seo Hyun had never experienced such an animated Ji Hoo.

Seo Hyun watched Ji Hoo smile, as he talked about a pleasant memory of Jan Di. She watched his face transform moments later within the same context and assumed that a less pleasant memory had surfaced.

"You seem different," she said, cocking her head to the side.

"I do?"

"Yes. You've changed so much."

He didn't feel that he really had.

"I'd like to get to know this new Ji Hoo."

He looked at her solemnly. "To what end?"

After dinner, Ji Hoo pulled up to the entrance of Seo Hyun's hotel to drop her off. He chivalrously opened her door and bid her good night.

She hugged him warmly and whispered. "I'm so sorry your heart was broken."

He pulled back. "You don't need to say anything. You and I were so long ago. I'm fine now."

"I'm not talking about me." She replied. He simply stared at her.

"Come on, you can't fool me! We have a history, so I know you. And I'm a lawyer." She grinned.

He cracked a smile and sighed.

"Would you like to come up for a bit?" She asked.