Moving In

Like the Lotus

Jan Di released a sigh as she haphazardly went about her work at the porridge shop. The past few weeks had been rather stressful. The new semester had begun, and medical school was becoming increasingly tougher. Not to mention, her relationship with Joon Pyo had been rocky since the New York fiasco. She and Joon Pyo hadn't ever actually had a real discussion about the incident, and it didn't appear they were going to any time soon. They both seemed to be avoiding the whole thing. Jan Di continued to feel the awkwardness between them when they talked. Ji Hoo had been distant as well, despite their being in class together once again. It wasn't like before when he attempted to expel her from his life, and he wasn't clearly avoiding her, but things were definitely different…strange even. Her family was having its issues, too. Her father had been gambling again and racked up some debts, so they'd gone to stay with out of town relatives for awhile and were renting out their home. Life felt like such a mess right now.

As Jan Di wiped down a table she heard the bell at the door ring. She looked up to greet the customer, and Grandfather walked in.

"Grandfather!" Jan Di exclaimed and ran to him.

"Jan Di, child!" Grandfather smiled and chuckled. Jan Di gave a bow and beamed at him.

"I'm so glad you're feeling better! It's so good to see you in here again!"

Grandfather smiled and pulled a slightly surprised Jan Di into a hug. Jan Di smiled at him after he released her and escorted him to his favorite table. Ga Eul and Master warmly greeted Grandfather and bowed to him. Grandfather waved and barked his order to Master. Master got right to work on it, and Grandfather chuckled.

"Are you feeling well then, Grandfather?" Jan Di asked, concerned.

"Ah, of course, I'm just fine! It's going to take more than that to finish me off!" Grandfather replied gruffly. Jan Di chuckled. A relieved smile crossed her face.

"I'm so sorry I haven't been to see you." She said sadly.

Grandfather nodded, vaguely aware of the likely reason. "Ah, it's alright, child."

Jan Di's phone rang. "Excuse me, Grandfather." A hysterical Hye Jung was on the other end. "Hye Jung, slow down…what?"

The group simultaneously shot a concerned look her way.

"What was that all about?" Ga Eul questioned after Jan Di hung up the phone.

"Ohh, it seems that our apartment has a rather bad infestation! They're going to have to spray. We're going to have to find another place to live for the next six weeks…"

"Oh, that's terrible, Jan Di!"

"Yea. Hye Jung has a place to go. I'm glad for that. But my family has rented out our place, so I guess I'll have to find somewhere else."

"Maybe you could stay with me?" Ga Eul suggested.

"Oh, I don't know if I should impose for that long, Ga Eul."

"You'll stay with us!" Grandfather proclaimed from across the room.

Jan Di and Ga Eul turned to look at him, surprised. Grandfather had a serious expression on his face.

Jan Di chuckled nervously. "Uh, Grandfather, that's very nice of you, but I really don't think I should."

"Nonsense!" Grandfather barked. "There's plenty of space. What reason do you have not to?"

Jan Di really did not want to provide all of her reasons for being against it. "Uh, well Grandfather, I really don't think Ji Hoo Sunbae would want me to…"

"Nonsense! He'll be perfectly fine with it."

Jan Di looked helplessly to Ga Eul.

"Sir, my roommate won't mind if she stays with us, I'm sure." Ga Eul spoke up.

"Nonsense," Grandfather reiterated. "Our place has more than enough room. No need to burden you, young lady."

Jan Di wondered if Grandfather knew how much of a burden it would be on his grandson.

"But Grandfather…" Jan Di began timidly.

"No more discussion, it's settled, you'll stay with us! You're not going to argue with your elder, are you?"

Jan Di laughed nervously again. "Of course not, Grandfather. …Alright, thank you." She bowed to him. She decided it was easier to agree now and figure out how to get out of it later on. She supposed she should give Ji Hoo a heads up.


Grandfather had ensured that Jan Di followed through with his orders. He'd arranged for her to be collected after work. Jan Di had attempted to contact Ji Hoo to warn him but had been unable to reach him. Jan Di was escorted to Ji Hoo's house by one of Grandfather's caretakers. Ji Hoo was not yet home. This should be a nice surprise for him… She thought. Jan Di's luggage was taken to the spare room. Grandfather greeted Jan Di. "Jan Di, child, welcome!"

Jan Di bowed. "Thank you, Grandfather, but I really wish we had talked to Ji Hoo Sunbae about this before…" Grandfather shot her a cautionary glance. Jan Di decided it best to give up.

"Make yourself at home," he ordered.

Jan Di bowed. "Thank you."

Grandfather left the room and Jan Di sighed heavily. What would Ji Hoo think of this? She decided to do something to take her mind off it. She'd make herself useful. She decided to do some cleaning. It was the least she could do if she was going to be intruding upon them again. Jan Di gathered some supplies and began dusting.

Ji Hoo entered his home an hour later. He walked into the living room area to see Jan Di standing on a step ladder dusting a high shelf. He looked quizzically at her. She turned her head and saw him.

"Oh, Sunbae!" She chuckled nervously.

"Jan Di, what are you-?" Ji Hoo began.

Jan Di forced a smile. "Uh, there's a problem with my apartment, and I'm not allowed to live there for six weeks… Grandfather overheard, and he kind of dragged me here to stay...I'm sorry…I'm trying to figure out a way to get out of it…" She looked at him sheepishly.

Ji Hoo nodded slowly. He didn't appear all that surprised. After all, it wasn't the first time Grandfather had brought her into his home like a stray cat. She was grateful, but she felt guilty about inconveniencing Ji Hoo, and she didn't relish the awkwardness it would surely bring for both of them.

"It's OK. But why are you cleaning my house? I have a maid. Come down from there." He walked over and looked up at her.

"I just wanted to help out, in exchange for the inconvenience." She went about her dusting.

"You don't have to do that. Come down, please."

"It's OK…" She brushed him off with her hand but slipped. She fell from the ladder unceremoniously and landed in his arms. He caught her and held her tightly to him. "Are you OK?" he asked.

They stared at each other for a moment, as their bodies pressed against each other. She found herself gazing deeply into his dark chocolate eyes. She'd never noticed what nice eyes he had. He sometimes wore blue colored lenses, she recalled, but she preferred his natural color.

"I'm fine," she mumbled, more breathy than she'd intended. What's wrong with me?

He smiled at her and set her on her feet. "Be careful. Your ankle just healed. You don't need another injury." He chuckled and shook his head before walking off.

He shot a glance back at her over his shoulder. "You're welcome to stay, but don't ever try to clean my house again. I fear for your safety." He turned away from her and continued walking with a grin on his face.

"Ugh," she mumbled under her breath. She made a disgusted face at herself, as her breathing returned to normal speed.

Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Grandfather had dinner together. Jan Di had insisted upon cooking in attempt at repaying the favor. She'd made a large meal for the three of them. Dinner was rather quiet. Grandfather complimented the food and Ji Hoo followed suit. The three continued to eat in silence. Grandfather looked between Jan Di and Ji Hoo, who appeared to be doing their utmost to avoid looking at one another. Grandfather raised an eyebrow and went back to his food.

After dinner, Jan Di cleared the table and did dishes. She then proceeded to get out her materials to do some studying. She lugged her books to the living room area and sat on the couch. Jan Di bid Grandfather good night and thanked him once more. She promised to help out at the clinic the next day, his first day back. Grandfather went to his room. Jan Di could see Ji Hoo reading in his chair in the next room. She sighed and pulled out her notes. Biochemistry.

Jan Di studied for awhile. She felt herself growing tired, and a yawn escaped . Ji Hoo was still in the next room. She decided to make some tea. Jan Di drowsily prepared the tea. She took some in to the next room to see if Ji Hoo wanted any. She watched him for a moment. He was very focused upon his book. A piece of his hair fell loosely over his eyes, and his reading glasses sat casually on his nose. She smiled. He looked up at her wordlessly.

"Uh, would you like some tea?" She stammered, slightly flustered at being caught staring.

"Sure. Thank you."

She brought the tray to him and set it on his side table. He set his book down on his lap. Their hands brushed as he reached to assist her with the tray. Ji Hoo pulled back and his book fell lightly to the floor. Several pictures spilled out. Jan Di moved to pick them up and noticed they were the pictures from the wedding contest. She looked at them for a moment and smiled, remembering the day. She was surprised he still had them. She looked to Ji Hoo. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair and stared back at her for a moment. He cleared his throat and looked down as she handed the pictures and book back to him.

"Well, I guess I should do some more studying," she said suddenly.

He nodded. "May I join you?"

She smiled and nodded, and he accompanied her to the living room. They took their tea and set it on the table. They sat next to each other on the couch.

Jan Di pulled her book onto her lap.

"Biochemistry?" He asked.

"Yes. You've taken it, haven't you?"

He nodded. "How's it going?"

"Hmm, well, it's kind of hard, but OK."

He sipped his tea casually, while she looked through her book. Jan Di made a face. Ji Hoo glanced over at her over his cup. Her face continued to contort further, as she stared at the page in the book. She wrinkled her nose and squinted in confusion.

Ji Hoo released a short laugh. Jan Di shot him a look. "Sunbae?!" She exclaimed, shocked.

"I'm sorry," he muttered through suppressed laughter. "You just look so confused."

Jan di gaped at him, open-mouthed. "Sunbae! It's not funny…" she mumbled.

He smiled. "I'm sorry. It was just cute…" He said, then grew silent.

Jan Di blinked. They exchanged glances, and she looked down and returned to her book.

Ji Hoo cleared his throat. "Want me to take a look?"

Jan Di hesitated then nodded. He inched closer to her and took one end of the book while she held the other. He looked down and studied the page for a moment. Jan Di glanced at him. He was mere inches from her now. "See…" he began to explain the concept she'd been struggling with. She made eye contact and attempted to follow but she was suddenly finding it a bit difficult to concentrate. What's wrong with me? She wondered for the second time that day.

"Jan Di?" She heard him call her name.

"Hm?" She mumbled, returning to reality. "I'm sorry!"

He looked at her, wondering what she'd been thinking. He wasn't sure he wanted to know, likely something about Joon Pyo.

"Are you alright?" He asked quietly.

She nodded. "I'm sorry." She looked down in embarrassment.

"It's OK."

"Sunbae?" She looked over at him.

"Yes?"

"Are you sure it's OK…that I'm here?"

He sighed. "Yes. I just hope it doesn't cause more problems for you with Joon Pyo."

Jan Di released a heavy sigh. "Yea, I'm not really sure how to tell him about it."

He paused for a moment before asking, "Are things OK between you two?" His eyes were downcast.

Jan Di sighed. "Well, he says everything is fine, but things have been kind of…weird between us."

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply. "I'm so sorry…"

"It's OK, really… I know that I really hurt him, but he said that he forgives me. He even apologized for the way he acted. I was really surprised. I think he's really matured or something. I think it's just going to take some time for things to go back to normal…" Jan Di's mind wandered for a moment.

Ji Hoo sighed and looked at Jan Di. "It was so hard for me to leave you there like that…with things unresolved. And on Christmas, too. I was really…worried about you."

Jan Di smiled weakly and looked down. "It was OK. You needed to go home. Joon Pyo came over and spent the day with me. It was…fine." Fine was the best word she could muster for the time she spent with him on Christmas, which seemed very sad. Jan Di returned to her studying. Ji Hoo looked at her helplessly, distraught that he couldn't do more for her.

Jan Di looked over at him once more, noticing his expression. "You shouldn't feel bad. I really did have a nice holiday. Going to New York was an amazing experience. …And things will work out the way they're supposed to." She wasn't sure how confident she was of this statement. But then again, she had no idea how things were supposed to work out for her.

He nodded, and she went back to her studying once more.

"Do you get it now?" He asked casually, changing the subject.

"Mm, thank you."

Jan Di studied while Ji Hoo read, and they talked throughout the night. They fell asleep against each other. Morning came and Grandfather sauntered into the living room area to find Jan Di and Ji Hoo nestled against each other, her head resting on his shoulder and his head against hers. Jan Di's study materials were still strewn over her lap. Grandfather adjusted his glasses and smiled. He gave a loud throat clear and the two slowly shifted.

"Good morning, you two." Grandfather smirked at them and crossed his arms in mock disapproval. In actuality, Grandfather would have been likely to encourage the situation.

Jan Di blinked and oriented herself to where she was. She looked at Ji Hoo, who returned her glance. Then they looked to Grandfather. They quickly put some distance between themselves. Ji Hoo stood.

"Good morning, Grandfather," Jan Di greeted, with a slightly nervous chuckle.

"Hmm, good morning…" There was a hint of taunting in his voice and a gleam in his eye. "You two had better get ready if you're going to the clinic with me."

"Of course!" Jan Di exclaimed and headed off toward her room.

Grandfather and Ji Hoo exchanged glances. Grandfather gave Ji Hoo a wink before walking away. Ji Hoo shook his head and smiled.


The next week passed by quickly. Jan Di found herself getting into a good rhythm with Ji Hoo and Grandfather. The three of them would go to the clinic together most mornings and then Jan Di and Ji Hoo would head to school together, or he'd drop her off at work. Jan Di and Ji Hoo often met up for lunch at school. Depending upon their schedules, Jan Di and Ji Hoo would take turns making dinner or even make dinner together. Then the three of them would have dinner. After, Jan Di and Ji Hoo would frequently study. Sometimes Ji Hoo would read, or play the piano or his violin, and she'd listen or join in with him. It was all very comfortable and pleasant. It felt like they were a family.

Jan Di hadn't realized how much she'd missed living with Ji Hoo and Grandfather. It hadn't been as awkward as she thought it would be. Ji Hoo was no longer being avoidant. She wished that she could say that everything had been resolved, but she had a new problem. She couldn't really say that she was completely comfortable being there. She found herself feeling self-conscious when Ji Hoo looked at her. She found herself stealing glances at him and finding excuses to be near him. It made her feel stupid and girly. Even worse, it made her feel exceedingly guilty. She was seeing Ji Hoo in a new light, though. It was so strange. This was Ji Hoo Sunbae, and she'd known him forever. He was her closest friend, so why did she get goosebumps at the slightest touch from him or feel her heart speed up when he smiled at her? It had been so long since she'd felt this way. She hadn't expected to feel this way about him again, or anyone else besides Joon Pyo, for that matter.

It was a typical night. Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Grandfather finished dinner. Grandfather went to bed, and Jan Di and Ji Hoo did some studying. After an hour and a half Jan Di bid him goodnight and excused herself for bed. Ji Hoo decided to call it a night shortly after. He headed for the bathroom and nearly collided with Jan Di coming out, wearing only a towel. Jan Di looked down, slightly embarrassed. He averted his eyes and they simultaneously exchanged apologies. Jan Di rushed off to her room. Ji Hoo exhaled and went in to brush his teeth. Afterward, he headed back to his room. He hesitated outside Jan Di's door, suddenly wishing he could go in.