Altercation

Like the Lotus

Author Note: Mianhada means I'm very sorry. Gwaenchanh-a means Are you OK? I believe the spelling is correct, but forgive me if not.

The drive afterward to the hotel was quiet. Joon Pyo had arranged for Jan Di to stay in Shinwha's hotel, near his penthouse. On the ride, both of them processed the evening. Their eyes would occasionally meet, and Jan Di would offer a feeble smile.

Joon Pyo finally broke the silence. "I'm sorry."

"Huh? About what?"

"About taking you there. About Alex, asking you so many personal questions, showing you those pictures, and bringing up the magazine article. She had no right. She's very annoying." He wondered if the whole thing had been purposeful or if she'd just run after too much champagne.

"It's OK. It didn't really bother me… I don't think she meant anything by it. She seems nice, actually."

He glanced over at her. "You're too nice, you know?"

Jan Di smiled weakly again and shook her head. She had been trying to work up the courage to talk to Joon Pyo about the kiss. Ji Hoo had asked her to wait and to trust him, though. She did trust him. She supposed that he should have the chance to talk with his best friend himself about it. But she felt that, as Joon Pyo's girlfriend, she owed him an explanation, too. Perhaps they should both talk to him. Who should go first, though? And the three of them talking it out together seemed like a ridiculous idea.

Joon Pyo opened her car door and walked her to the hotel. The street and hotel was beautifully lit up for Christmas. The air was crisp and cold, but the short walk was nice. If only she didn't have this hanging over her head, she could have enjoyed the moment.

He escorted her to her room and stood outside with her. "I'm sorry again about tonight," he said. She'd never heard him so apologetic before. And she was surprised how well he'd kept his cool through Alex's questioning and teasing. He'd tolerated it all surprisingly well. The old Joon Pyo would have blown up. Perhaps he was maturing after all.

"No, it's OK. It wasn't so bad," she said.

"I have tomorrow all planned out. Just you and me this time, so be ready at 8AM. I'll pick you up." She smiled and nodded.

He leaned in and boldly met her lips. Despite the length of time since their last kiss, the feel was familiar. Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo's kisses were like night and day. Joon Pyo's style was self-assured and eager. Ji Hoo's was tender and patient. Very much like their personalities. Both men were passionate but in very different ways. Joon Pyo took what he wanted. Ji Hoo indulged her. She felt ashamed to even be comparing the two.

Joon Pyo broke the kiss after a moment and whispered good night. She bid him goodnight and forced a smile. After he left, she felt several tears escaping. She opened the door to the hotel room, as the tears slowly streamed down.


Joon Pyo returned to his car, trying to shake the undeniable feeling that something was wrong. The night hadn't gone as planned, and he'd regretted stopping at the party. He wondered if Jan Di had been bothered by the things Alex said and the pictures. He never thought of Jan Di as a jealous type, but something was amiss. Jan Di had seemed different since she arrived. He was keen enough to notice that.

His driver opened the door for him, and he slid in. As he considered confronting her about what was wrong, he noticed her phone lying on the seat of his car. He picked it up and prepared to return it to her. He noticed it blink, and there was a message. He fought the urge to read it.

Joon Pyo told the driver to wait, and he got out to return the phone. As he walked, he heard it ding again. Unable to fight his curiosity, he clicked into the message. It was from Ji Hoo.

"Jan Di, please don't tell Joon Pyo about the kiss yet. I'm going to tell him in person. I'll be there soon, so please wait for me."

"And don't worry, I'm going to take care of it."

Joon Pyo felt his chest aching and a rage building up within him. He couldn't believe the words he'd just read. He could feel himself seething, and he clutched the phone tightly, fighting the urge to smash it into pieces. He decisively made his way up to Jan Di's room, his fury building with each step he took toward the room.


Joon Pyo arrived at Jan Di's room. Crushing the cell phone tighter, he pounded on the door. Jan Di answered and stared up at him bewildered. "Joon Pyo?"

His chest was heaving, and he was glaring at her. "Is something…wrong? She stepped out into the hall, allowing the door to close slightly.

He continued to breathe heavily and shoved the phone toward her. "You forgot this." She took the phone hesitantly, unsure why it would have brought on such a physical reaction from him.

"Is there anything you want to tell me…?" He asked so icily that she felt herself shiver. She instinctively crossed her arms over her chest and rubbed to rid herself of the goosebumps.

"Umm…" She stammered.

"Did you and Ji Hoo kiss?" He growled, scowling at her.

Her lips parted, and her eyes flitted side to side. Her breathing began to escalate, and she stepped backward automatically, her back pressing against the door.

"Were you planning on telling me?" He whispered cold as a killer.

"Goo Joon Pyo, let me explain." She replied fearlessly and looked him in the eye, yet she was shaking.

Joon Pyo exhaled sharply and turned from her, fighting back tears of rage. He clenched his hair and turned back, approaching her. He slammed his hand against the side of the wall beside her. He leaned over her, as she pressed herself further against the door and stared back at him.

"Joon Pyo!" Ji Hoo shouted from behind them, his tone warning, even slightly threatening… Nearly as soon as they'd heard him, he had grabbed Joon Pyo by the arm and pulled him back. He swiftly moved to stand between Joon Pyo and Jan Di, his back to Jan Di. He shot a sideways glance to her. Her eyes were downcast. She was breathing heavily and pressed tightly against the door. She had herself in a bear hug.

Joon Pyo's nostrils flared and he glared at Ji Hoo with reddened eyes. Ji Hoo stared at him straight on, stone faced. Joon Pyo felt his hand tightening into a fist at his side. It was amazing he'd maintained restraint this long. He shot Ji Hoo a look that could've killed, his jaw clenched tighter than a vice.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Joon Pyo snarled. "You think I'd hurt her?"

"I don't know what you're capable of right now." Ji Hoo replied seriously.

Joon Pyo scoffed and moved forward aggressively. Ji Hoo put a hand out. When he felt resistance, he reacted and grabbed Joon Pyo by the collar with both hands. Using more force than he'd meant to, he slammed Joon Pyo against the opposite wall. "Back off!" He said through clenched teeth.

Joon Pyo's eyes blazed. Ji Hoo looked down and blinked a few times, suddenly realizing that he'd lost it. His usual calm demeanor had flown out the window once more upon seeing Jan Di in potential danger. It hadn't mattered that it was Joon Pyo. He knew Joon Pyo loved Jan Di, but he hadn't been willing to risk him laying a hand on her. They continued their stare down. Joon Pyo was still seething, glaring at Ji Hoo, fighting to maintain control. Ji Hoo's expression appeared emotionless, but inside he was boiling. His breathing rate continued to increase.

"Stop it!" Jan Di shouted. Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo simultaneously looked. Ji Hoo looked at her over his shoulder and began to loosen his grip on Joon Pyo. With one quick movement, Joon Pyo threw up his hands and broke Ji Hoo's grip. He fought throwing a punch. He moved closer to Jan Di, and their eyes met. Ji Hoo gave a quick sidelong glance to Jan Di, remaining protectively near and on guard. He could see tears beginning to form at the corners of her eyes, but she was holding them back.

"Goo Joon Pyo," she said again. Joon Pyo looked at her, his heartbeat and breathing still racing. He scoffed.

"You two want to be together? Then go, be together… I'm through with both of you!" He replied harshly, masking the pain. He turned to walk away.

Jan Di's shoulders slumped and she bowed her head and closed her eyes tightly. The tears were beginning to escape.

"Joon Pyo, wait!" Ji Hoo shouted to him. Joon Pyo simply continued walking.


Jan Di sighed and rubbed her arms. A few tears had fallen. She was keeping the others in check. Ji Hoo approached her slowly, cautiously. "Jan Di, gwaenchanh-a?"

She looked away and her breathing continued to be escalated.

"Mianhada… Ahh, this is all my fault!" He scowled. "I'll talk to him. I'll fix this." He assured her.

She continued to look down, silently. "Jan Di?" He lightly put a hand on her upper arm.

She slinked away, and his hand fell limply at his side. His lips parted. He sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Jan Di." He said her name seriously. He leaned down to look into her eyes. She hesitantly met them.

"I'm so sorry this happened. Maybe I shouldn't have come, but I will fix this. I have to."

"Why are you always protecting me?" She asked, looking away. She paused and took a deep breath.

"Just stop protecting me, please…" She mumbled coldly, still unable to look at him. She stared at the floor.

He looked away. "I can't… I can't stop protecting you. I won't… I might not always succeed, but I will keep trying. Until the day I die."

She looked to him, surprised. He continued to look away.

"I'm going to try to talk to Joon Pyo. Go in and get some rest." He shot her a quick glance and sighed before walking back down the hall, determined. She slowly entered the hotel room. She shuffled inside and lay down on the bed. She curled into a ball, hugged a pillow, and allowed the tears to flow freely.


Jan Di woke to the light shining in from the window of her hotel room. It took her a moment to register where she was. She was still fully clothed and lying atop the covers of the exceedingly soft mattress. The events of last night crept upon her, and she felt her stomach drop. Her head was aching from crying most of the night. She lightly rubbed her sore, puffy eyes. She noticed her phone beside her. She checked it. It appeared to be in working order, though the hinge was a bit loose from Joon Pyo crushing it. No messages or missed calls. She sighed. She noticed the clock, half past 8. She slowly stood and went to the window. She looked out onto the city. It was Christmas Eve morning.

She heard a knock at the door. Perhaps it was Joon Pyo? She smoothed her hair and walked to the door. Ji Hoo was on the other side. "Oh, Sunbae." She replied, surprised and a bit disappointed.

"May I come in?"

She nodded. He walked in slowly, looking around the room then back to her. "How are you doing?" He asked.

She sighed. "I'm OK."

Ji Hoo hesitated then said, "Joon Pyo won't talk to me. I went everywhere last night, and I couldn't find him either."

Jan Di nodded, not surprised. "He won't talk to me either." She'd attempted tirelessly the night before, too. She frowned and looked down.

"But I'm sure he's fine." Ji Hoo reassured. "When he wants to be alone to sulk he can't be found. He'll cool off, I promise. I know him. And I…we can explain. It'll be alright." Ji Hoo approached his words cautiously after last night.

"Thank you," she said sadly.

He nodded and shifted uneasily. She thought for a moment. "Sunbae?"

"Hm?" He muttered, distracted.

"I'm sorry." She said, feeling ashamed.

"For what?"

"For getting upset, for what I said. I know that you were just trying to help."

He scoffed. "It's alright. I guess I keep failing. I haven't been much of a firefighter lately. I've been starting the fires lately it seems."

She shook her head. "No. It's not all your fault. I could have prevented it all. And I chose to come here, and I didn't tell him right away."

"But," Ji Hoo began.

"Let's just stop placing blame." She cut him off. He nodded. That would be the sensible thing to do…

"What's done is done." She stated forthright. He could tell it was all a front.

"It will get better." Ji Hoo promised. She looked so depressed that all he wanted to do was hold her until she was happy once more.

She nodded and put on a smile. He closed the distance and took her in his arms. He held her head against his chest with one hand and wrapped her up tightly against him with the other. She leaned in and remained as a statue, as he held her. He gently her back.

He broke the embrace after a few moments and looked at her. "Are you hungry?"

She was hungry. Her stomach was rumbling. Appetite was another thing, though. But she supposed she should attempt to eat. "Mm."

"Can I take you to breakfast?" He asked.

She nodded. "Let me just get ready."