Euphoria

Like the Lotus

Alex waited at the agreed upon location in the solitary darkness. She could feel her insides slowly being tied in ribbons. Hyun-Woo had given nothing away, and F3 would be tracking her. She wore her phone strapped to the inside of her thigh under her dress, set with GPS. She took a deep breath, dreading seeing his face again. She thought of Joon Pyo, and she felt slightly comforted. She was doing this for Joo-Won and for him, she reminded herself. She thought of Joon Pyo's and her kiss. She had to admit that she was surprised he'd allowed it. She was rather surprised she'd had the guts to go through with it, too. She knew he still had very intense feelings for Jan Di and wondered if he felt anything at all for her.

Suddenly, a black limo pulled up to the curb, stirring her from her thoughts. Four men got out, clad all in black and wearing hats and masks. Subtle…, she thought. Two of the men grabbed her with excessive force, each one crushing a thin arm. The fourth demanded that the third search her. He patted her down roughly, as Alex looked upon him with a steely gaze. She desperately hoped they didn't find the cell phone strapped to her inner thigh. She trusted that Joon Pyo and F2 would have a backup plan if so.

The searcher mumbled that she was clean, and the men began to drag her into the car. She smacked their hands away. "I'll go myself," she snapped at them and slid into the void of a car willingly. Alex sat squished between the burly men, noticing the flashes of neon outside the window as they drove. Alex was taken downtown to a nightclub and escorted through the darkened and cacophonous club. The men dragged her along through the raucous crowd, barely able to pass through. One of the men knocked aside a drunken man who got in the way and shouted an insult at him. Others backed off and made way for them. They took her to a back room.

The men shoved her inside. Alex shot them a dirty look over her shoulder. A man was standing in front of her in a navy blue designer suit with his back turned to her. He turned to face her.

"Welcome back, honey," Hyun-Woo greeted with a smirk.


Jan Di had been tormenting herself since the moment she let Ji Hoo walk away. Why, why, why did I tell him to go out with Eun-Ji? What's wrong with meI'm such an idiot… She didn't want him to go out with another woman, not at all. She wondered if he had actually gone out with her or planned to. The very thought of it was crushing her glass heart into tiny shards.

She recalled the look of anguish in his eyes when she pushed him away. Her heart had felt that, too. It was clear that Ji Hoo was very hurt and angry with her, and he had every right to be. She'd dangled her heart before him and then quickly snatched it back. And he'd offered his heart to her on a silver platter, and she'd thrown it back in his face. He barely spoke to her. He didn't smile at her. He wasn't really avoiding her per se, but instead he was treating her like he would any other person in the world. Well, perhaps he was treating her a bit more coldly than others. He wasn't her Ji Hoo Sunbae right now, at all.

Jan Di hadn't heard about or seen Park Eun-Ji, but still, she didn't track Ji Hoo, so he could have went anywhere with anyone. She thought that he could have been talking to her once on the phone, but not wanting to eavesdrop or hear anything that would further upset her, she'd escaped to as far away as she could. She appreciated that if he was truly dating her that he was at least keeping it away from her. Still, this was his house, and he should be able to bring her here without feeling strange.

She needed to get out. Ji Hoo was likely wondering why she was still living there, and she was wondering that herself. Oh, that's right. She remembered. It had been Grandfather's doing…

Sensing the despair of his grandson and surrogate granddaughter, Grandfather had taken it upon himself to mend this rift between them. Grandfather had manipulated her into staying at their home a bit longer. Being a former politician, it hadn't been too difficult. Still, if Ji Hoo was really planning to date Park Eun-Ji then she didn't think she could stay, despite any objection or trick from Grandfather. She would only be in the way, and she didn't think she could handle seeing it.


Ji Hoo sat at his desk. He felt like he was going crazy. He attempted to understand Jan Di's actions. She had admitted that she loved him, and then she had pushed him immediately away… She'd said it was too complicated, that she didn't want to make him wait for her, that he'd been through too much because of her… Was she truly pushing him away for some altruistic reason, or was it just an excuse? Maybe he'd misinterpreted her love. He sighed heavily. Why did he keep allowing her to do this to him? He went to his desk and pulled out his grandmother and mother's ring. He opened up the case and gazed upon it. He ran his finger over it lightly.


Ji Hoo had gone to rehearsal, and Jan Di returned home from work. Grandfather was sitting in the living room. Jan Di greeted him.

"Jan Di, child, come and sit down."

She nodded and sat next to Grandfather on the couch.


"Hyun-Woo," Alex said deliberately.

He approached her, hands in pockets, and stood before her. He cocked his head to one side and looked her up and down. "Nice dress," he smirked. She'd purposely chosen one that was entirely too short, low cut, and a deep crimson, his favorite color.

"I thought you'd like it," she replied coolly.

He chuckled. "So, you wanted to meet…"

"Yes. I've decided that I want to come back."

"And why is that?"

"Because Goo Joon Pyo rejected me," Alex muttered bitterly.

Hyun-Woo studied her for any sign that she was lying. "Is that so?"

"Yes," she said icily.

"Did he see that dress?" Hyun-Woo pointed.

Alex scoffed. "He's still in love with that silly little girl…"

"Ahhh, it's his loss," Hyun-Woo took a seat on a plush couch. "Come, join me." He beckoned with a finger.

Alex held her head high and walked over and sat close beside him. She kept her legs tightly pressed together. He put an arm loosely around her bare shoulders. She could smell the faintest hint of alcohol on his breath. Hyun-Woo beckoned for a server to bring them drinks. A muscular man dressed in a black suit brought a bottle of champagne and glasses. The man poured champagne for them.

"Champagne, hm? What's the occasion?" She looked at the glass of champagne suspiciously.

"You returning to me is the occasion."

Alex nodded and took a sip. Hyun-Woo leaned into her and ran his hand up and down her bare arm. She felt like insects were crawling all over her. Hyun-Woo held his glass of champagne in the other hand and took a sip.

"I have a surprise planned for you," he whispered, and she felt his hot breath against her neck.

"What is it?"

"We're going away together," he said, as he put down the glass and began to trail deep kisses down her neck. Alex cringed and fought the urge to push him away. Joon Pyo, where are you? She desperately hoped nothing had gone wrong.

"Where are we going?" she asked casually.

"It's a surprise," he mumbled, as he pulled her in closer and ran his hand down her arm and to her leg. Alex flinched and grabbed his hand instinctively to hold it at bay.

"What was that?"

"Nothing…" She adjusted slightly. He reached down once more and pulled her cell phone from its Velcro strap against her leg. He grabbed the phone and shook it at her.

"Clever… But, not good enough." He threw her phone against the wall, smashing it.

"Hey, that was a new phone! Why did you do that?"

"I take it your friends are tracking you?"

"What are you talking about? I just didn't want to carry a purse."

He scoffed. "I knew you'd try something. Do you think I'm stupid?" He demanded.

"No, of course not." She ran her hand down his face and leaned into him seductively. "You were always so amazingly clever…," she placed a kiss on his lips. He pulled her tightly against him. "And handsome…," she kissed him again. "And…" This time he grabbed her wrist.

"You're really a manipulative little wench, aren't you? …I'm a little bit proud," he grinned.

"What are you talking about?"

"You're good, Alex, but you're not that good. I know what you're up to. It doesn't matter, though. It won't work. I already have my guys waiting for your little F4 buddies. It'll be just enough of a diversion for us to get out of here. You better just hope you don't get them killed…"

Alex stared him down. "What?"

F3 had arrived, along with much of the Song clan, only to find that Hyun-Woo's clan was there to ambush them. Joon Pyo, Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and his guys confronted them. Yi Jeong thought of Ga Eul. She'd been concerned for him and had warned him to be careful. He'd dipped her back and kissed her fervently. He recalled that perhaps it'd been a bit too cheesy, like the movies, but he didn't really care. He smiled at the thought of Ga Eul looking out for him. Yi Jeong shot a look to Joon Pyo and then to Woo Bin. "You ready for this?"

Joon Pyo nodded. Woo Bin grinned, "Oh yeah, you better believe it!" He cracked his knuckles, and they became embroiled in a backalley street brawl. Reinforcements showed up, along with some police officers loyal to F4. "Joon Pyo, get Alex!" Yi Jeong shouted.

"Yea, we got this!" Woo Bin called to him, and Joon Pyo ran into the club, as the officers began to raid it.

Alex and Hyun-Woo heard a disturbance, the sounds of shouting and scrambling within the club.

"We're going now," he demanded.

"What? Where?"

Hyun-Woo grabbed her by the wrist and yanked her up. "We have a plane to catch."

"Let me go, I don't want to go with you!" He grimaced and continued to drag her along. When she resisted, he pulled her roughly against him. She grabbed him by the shoulders and swiftly kneed him in the groin. Hyun-Woo released her and went down to a knee, groaning. Alex began to run. He caught up to her and grabbed her again, still groaning slightly. "Why you little…" he snarled.

Joon Pyo tore through the club looking for Alex. He rushed into the back room in time to see Hyun-Woo raise a hand to hit Alex.

"Hey, don't touch her!" Joon Pyo shouted. Joon Pyo's face was reddened and his fists were clenched tightly.

Hyun-Woo and Alex turned. Joon Pyo ran to them and threw a punch at Hyun-Woo, knocking him to his knees. Joon Pyo turned to Alex, breathing heavily, and asked, "Are you alright?" Just then, they heard a clicking sound. Joon Pyo and Alex's heads snapped back to Hyun-Woo, who was now on his feet and pointing a handgun at them. Alex instinctively clutched Joon Pyo's arm, and he stood protectively in front of her.

"Kim Hyun-Woo, think about this…" Joon Pyo held up a hand and spoke in a calming tone.

"I've had just about enough of you…" Hyun-Woo snarled.

"Hyun-Woo, please," Alex shrieked. "Don't hurt him, I'll do anything!"

"That's right, you will. But it's too late for that…" He adjusted the barrel, his finger poised on the trigger, and he began to slowly put pressure on it.

"FREEZE! Drop it!" a voice from behind them shouted. Hyun-Woo, Alex, and Joon Pyo turned to see several police officers, along with Woo Bin, Yi Jeong, and the Song clan standing in the doorway. Hyun-Woo sighed and closed his eyes tightly. He held up his hands and allowed the gun to slip from his fingers and clank against the concrete floor. "Damn," he murmured.


Jan Di sat with Grandfather on the couch. "Jan Di, child, is something wrong?"

Jan Di sniffed and looked down. "No, Grandfather, everything's OK."

"Don't you fib to Grandfather now, Child."

Jan Di tightened and sighed. "Well, you see…" Her troubles came gushing out to Grandfather, like blood from a freshly opened wound.

Grandfather sighed and squeezed his hands together. "Hmm, it sounds to me like you're punishing yourself unnecessarily. The people that care for you are always going to try to protect you and take care of you. And that's not a bad thing."

She nodded and a saddened expression crossed her lovely face.

"Mianhae, Grandfather…it's my fault that Ji Hoo Sunbae got hurt. I am always causing him to be hurt…"

Grandfather shook his head. "It's not your fault, Child. Bad things happen sometimes…" He paused. He was reminded of the day he got the news about his beloved son and daughter-in-law.

"I'm bad for him," she mumbled.

Grandfather put a wrinkled hand upon her shoulder. "No, you're not. My grandson cares for you very deeply, and I've never seen him happier than when he is with you," Grandfather smiled affectionately at her.

Jan Di gave a small smile.

"Don't continue to punish yourself, and please don't punish him, either."

"Grandfather…"

"Child, I know that for my grandson, not having you in his life does him far more harm than having you in his life ever could."

"Grandfather…" She couldn't believe how freely he was speaking. She wondered if this was truly how Ji Hoo felt.

Grandfather grew very serious. "Jan Di-yah, I'd like nothing more than for you to be my granddaughter-in-law… I can't force you two to be together, though. And I know things are complicated right now. I hope that it will work out for you two, but will you at least promise me that you'll watch out for my Ji Hoo when I'm gone?"

Jan Di felt tears forming. She wiped at the corner of her eye with her fingers. She nodded. I'll try, Grandfather…

"Don't be afraid to express your feelings, Child, and don't be afraid to be happy… Remember, loving someone means loving them completely, through the good and the bad."

And Jan Di cried. Grandfather pulled her into a comforting embracing, and she continued to cry against his aged but sturdy shoulder.


It had been a month now of the tension between Jan Di and Ji Hoo. One evening, Ji Hoo was reading in the living room. Fluffy lay at his feet. Jan Di walked in. She stared at him and then rubbed her arms. He looked up briefly, barely acknowledging her and giving no facial reaction. Then, he returned his eyes to his book. His behavior was driving her crazy, despite knowing she was the cause of it. She couldn't stand seeing him act as a robot to her. She missed his smile, his laugh, his touches… She would give anything right now for even the slightest touch from him.

Resolutely, she went to the couch and sat very close to him. Her arm lightly brushed his. She was embarrassed to think that even that exhilarated her, being the most physical contact she'd had from him in a month. He looked at her, and she smiled. "What are you doing," he asked, coldly.

"Nothing… What are you reading?" she asked, in a cute, bubbly fashion. Ugh, that's so lame…

He sighed and pursed his lips. He showed her the book for a split second and went back to it.

"Interesting… I'm not to that yet…"

He nodded and wordlessly moved over slightly on the couch. He crossed one leg over the other and continued to read. She frowned and moved a little closer to him. She glanced over at him and then looked away. He shot her a look out of the corner of his eye. He rolled his eyes and scooted away once more. Determined, she followed suit and moved to sit next to him again. Her arm touched his again. "Jan Di, what-?" he demanded, slamming his book closed and looking at her.

She blinked and looked down as a wounded animal. He sighed and his expression softened. He knew he was helpless against that look. And he hadn't meant to yell at her, but his heart was just aching so... He dropped his head down to meet her at eye level. "Do you have something to say?" he asked more calmly this time, but his chest rose and fell heavily.

"Mianhae…," she mumbled sadly.

He sighed. "For what?"

"For pushing you away… For hurting you again…I didn't mean it."

He shook his head, "It's OK," and he opened his book again.

"You're angry with me, aren't you?"

"No, it's OK. I'm over it."

"Doesn't seem like it."

He was silent.

"Sunbae… I was an idiot…"

He was silent for a moment. Then, he sighed and set his book aside. "Why do you say that?"

She wrung her hands lightly. "I thought I was doing what was best for you. I thought I was bad for you and only caused you pain… I was trying to protect you, like you've always done for me."

"Why don't you let me decide what's best for me from now on, OK?" he said shortly.

"You're right. I was wrong to make that decision on my own… I know I don't deserve it, but can you forgive me?"

He sighed heavily and rubbed his legs. "I forgive you," he said sincerely.

She looked at him helplessly. He shook his head and gave her arm a brief, friendly squeeze. He leaned back against the couch and picked up the book again. The physical contact was nice, but she found herself wanting more.

She stared at him intently. "Sunbae…"

"Hm?" he mumbled, not looking up from his book.

"Are you…," she hesitated, "…going out with Nurse Park?"

He looked up from his book and gazed out across the room. "No… I decided against it," he said simply and went back to reading.

Jan Di felt herself instinctively smile. "Oh, OK," she replied. She picked up her own book that lay on the coffee table.

He caught the smile out of the corner of his eye and felt his own lips curve slightly upward. She was focusing on her book now. He began to say something but thought better of it.

Jan Di attempted to focus but couldn't. After a moment, she blurted, "You know, I only told you to go out with her because I thought you might be happier with her… I didn't think it was fair to make you wait around until I felt ready… And I felt guilty about Joon Pyo and about you...," she paused, "…But, I talked to Grandfather, and he helped me to realize that you can't handle everything all on your own and that you can't hide from hardships or try to shelter others. And he also helped me to realize that when you love someone you take the good with the bad… Isn't that right?"

Ji Hoo gave a tender smile and nodded. He wondered about this conversation they'd had.

"Too bad that with me you get mostly the bad…," she said.

This statement angered him a bit. "That's not true! Don't be so hard on yourself all the time," he paused and sighed, "…For me, it's always been overwhelmingly good…" his expression softened.

He sighed and attempted to focus once more. This was all becoming entirely too much for him. He'd waited entirely too long for her to express feelings of love to him, and he'd been cut off when that moment came. His frustration and desire had reached its summit.

"Ji Hoo…" she whispered uncertainly.

He looked at her, stunned. "You said my name…"

She nodded. "Mm. I just wanted to say it once."

And that did him in. The dam finally broke. He tossed his book aside and took her face gently but passionately in his hands, and he pressed his lips to hers in a searing kiss. Her book fell from her hands to the floor. When no resistance came, he took the liberty to deepen the kiss further and further until they both needed to come up for air. His breathing elevated, he insisted, "Say it again, my name…" She shyly said his name again, and he kissed her again fervently and tangled his hand within her hair.

After breaking the second kiss, they both were breathing heavily. They stared at one another, slightly disoriented. Jan Di felt light-headed. Ji Hoo turned from her slightly and rested his elbows on his knees. She turned from him too and patted her face lightly to regain her senses.

"What about Joon Pyo?" Ji Hoo asked the question he'd been dreading like the plague.

"Uh, we've had some contact by phone, but it's been pretty casual. I've been just trying to put some distance between us. I think that'll make it easier for both of us..."

"Are you having second thoughts about breaking up with him?" His chest ached in anticipation of her answer.

Jan Di sighed. "It's not like that… I just feel bad…"

"I know," he whispered, "so do I..."

"I mean, I can't honestly say that I'm completely over it. I still have…leftover feelings…" she looked down, ashamed of the divide that still existed within her heart.

Though this came as no surprise, he felt a dull throbbing in his chest at her words. She would likely have feelings for Joon Pyo for a long time to come and never truly forget about him. "That's to be expected," he replied and leaned forward. He buried his face in his hands for a moment and then dropped them to his knees.

"Sunbae…" She put a hand over his hesitantly.

He sighed. "You know, we never did get a real second date…no, I think we should start fresh with another first date…"

Jan Di smiled. "I'd like that."

"If we don't give it a shot, we'll never know if we're meant for each other, right?" Even though he already knew, he already knew they were meant for each other. Nothing had ever been so clear to him as that.

She nodded.

"But are you ready for that?" he asked delicately.

She took a deep breath. "…Yes, let's do it."

He smiled. "How about tomorrow?"

She nodded. "Pick me up at 7?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, I'll pick you up at your room…" It would be interesting dating a person he lived with…

They exchanged an affectionate smile, and he took her hand. He lifted it to his lips and placed a tender kiss upon it. "I can't wait… Goodnight." He ruffled her hair and stood and headed toward his room.


Ji Hoo picked up Jan Di right on time. Jan Di had to admit she hadn't been able to sleep well the night before. He hadn't either. She finally wore the Seo Hyun dress, and she put on makeup. Ji Hoo noticed and complimented her, not used to seeing her dressed up. He had to admit that he had to catch his breath at first glance.

Ji Hoo didn't attempt to impress Jan Di on their date with expensive things. He knew her so well, and he knew that it was the little things and the quality time that mattered to her. He took her to dinner and for an evening stroll along the Han River, where they admired the beautiful lights and took in the sound of the slow-flowing water. As they walked, he slipped his hand into hers, and they continued to walk along hand-in-hand. They leaned against the railing of the bridge, and he brushed a strand of hair from her face that the wind had carelessly blown. His finger lingered there, and he caressed her cheek lightly, as they gazed into each other's eyes. And they were peacefully silent. And the moment was practically perfect.

They arrived home around 10. "Would you like to come in?" Ji Hoo joked. Jan Di smiled and nodded. He led her to the couch and prepared tea. They sipped at their tea and were silent. Then, they simultaneously set their cups down. He turned to her and put a hand to her cheek and lightly d it.

"Will you say my name again? I like hearing you say it. It sounds so much better when you say it…"

"…Ji Hoo…"

He leaned in and touched her lips once more in a short, soft kiss. Then, he placed a tender kiss on her cheek, then her nose, and then her other cheek. He turned suddenly from her and exhaled. He buried his face in his hands and stood, finding it suddenly very difficult to maintain control. She too was struggling.

"What have you done to me, Geum Jan Di?" he asked aloud, as he paced around the room.

She looked down and blushed, smiling to herself. "I was going to ask the same thing of you."

He turned back to her and returned resolutely to the couch. He took her hand and placed kisses along the back of her hand and then turned it over delicately to kiss her palm, and then he moved on to each fingertip. Then he slipped his hand in hers and leaned in to take her lips once more. He slowly deepened the kiss and wrapped his arms around her waist, leaning into her slightly and pressing her against the headrest. They retracted from each other rather quickly before taking it too far.

Ji Hoo quickly put some distance between them. He stood and put a hand behind his neck and rubbed.

"Sorry…"

She shook her head, avoiding eye contact. "No, it's OK."

"Maybe we should…it's getting late…" they both stammered at the same time, as they pointed toward their rooms. Then, they laughed.

"Well…goodnight," she said, bolting upright.

He smiled and took her hand. He led her by the hand toward her room. They stood there for a moment. He took her other hand and held them both. He interlaced his fingers with hers.

"I had a good time tonight, thank you," she said.

"Me, too," he smiled.

They both exchanged 'goodnights' again and lingered for a moment, holding hands. He reluctantly released one hand at a time, and their fingers brushed slowly one last time. She smiled and turned to go into her room. He shook his head and smiled genuinely. He shoved his hands into his pockets, exhaled sharply, and headed off to his own room.

Ji Hoo collapsed onto his bed. There was absolutely no hope for him now. Not only was he desperately in love with Jan Di, but now there was this incredible chemistry emerging. He was in big trouble.


Jan Di awoke in the morning and recalled the events of the previous night. She smiled and sighed dreamily and hugged her pillow tighter. So this is happiness… I almost forgot what it was like. So, this is the real thing…

Jan Di fixed herself up a bit and left her room. She could smell a delicious scent wafting in the air and reaching her nose, and she knew that Ji Hoo was cooking breakfast.

Grandfather made his way to the kitchen, as well, and arrived first.

"Good morning, Hal-abeoji!" Ji Hoo exclaimed brightly as Grandfather walked in. Ji Hoo rushed to Grandfather and gave him a quick hug before setting him down at the table. Grandfather wrinkled his forehead and adjusted his glasses, watching Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo was acting like a kid on Christmas morning.

"You're in a good mood, my boy," he commented, as he took a sip of the coffee Ji Hoo brought.

Ji Hoo shrugged but couldn't seem to stop smiling, as he went about energetically making breakfast. Jan Di entered the dining room. She smoothed down her hair and said good morning. She also was grinning stupidly.

When he saw her he stopped dead in his tracks, and they both stared at each other, unable to wipe their smiles. "Good morning, Jan Di-yah!" he finally said, staring at her as if she was some mythological goddess who had come down to grace them with her presence.

"Good morning, Sunbae…" she muttered, looking away shyly as his eyes burned into her.

Grandfather squinted and looked back and forth between the two of them, but they seemed to have forgotten about his presence entirely. He shook his head and chuckled to himself. Ji Hoo finally snapped to reality and escorted Jan Di to her seat, allowing his hand to rest lightly on her lower back as he ushered her. He finished cooking breakfast and put it before them.

While they ate, Ji Hoo and Jan Di kept stealing glances at each other and smiling the whole time. Ji Hoo was entirely too excited to eat, and even Jan Di was eating much less and more slowly than usual. At one point, Jan Di needed something in the kitchen, and Ji Hoo made up an excuse that he'd forgotten something, as well. Ji Hoo snuck up behind Jan Di and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind.

"Hi," he whispered.

She smiled to herself. "Hi, yourself."

"How did you sleep?" he asked, finding himself nuzzling his face against her hair. Jan Di had to catch her breath and suddenly felt tingly and weak-kneed.

"Very well. And you?" she managed to utter, breathy.

"Same," he said, smiling. He placed a kiss on her hair. So much emotion was rolling around inside, and he had to bite his tongue from making any fervent declarations regarding his love, even though she already knew how he felt. He didn't want to lay it on too thick and scare her away.


After breakfast, Jan Di left for work. Grandfather stopped Ji Hoo, as he headed toward his room.

"Can I have a word, my boy?"

"Sure, Grandfather." They sat down together on the couch. "What is it, Grandfather?" Ji Hoo asked with a straight face.

"I think we should have a talk about…," Grandfather paused and rubbed the back of his neck stiffly, "Ahh, about women."

Ji Hoo laughed boisterously. Grandfather shot him a cautionary glance, and Ji Hoo's expression quickly grew somber.

"Grandfather," Ji Hoo began as seriously as he could. "Are you perhaps trying to talk to me about the birds and bees? Because…I've known about all that for a long time…"

Grandfather wagged an arthritic finger at Ji Hoo. "You little whippersnapper, don't be smart!"

Ji Hoo grew serious again. He recalled that Grandfather and his own parents had missed out on much of his childhood, so they'd never shared those coming of age experiences with him. Perhaps Grandfather was hoping to experience some of that. OK, he'd indulge him.

"I'm serious here. That is a very lovely and innocent girl who is staying with us…"

"Do you think I'm going to do something to her, Grandfather?"

"Ahh, no, of course not. I know you're a good boy, but I just want to make sure that you are treating her like a gentleman. I'll ask you directly then. What exactly is going on between you two?"

"We just kissed, Grandfather. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?"

"No, but she's living with us, and you're a young man with…feelings and hormones and all that, so you are probably feeling some temptation…to…" Grandfather awkwardly continued.

Ji Hoo had to work hard to stifle his laughter. He bit his tongue. Though, he couldn't deny that Grandfather had a point. The thought had crossed his mind, of course. He was a man, after all. Though, he'd never act upon it. If nothing else, he was honorable.

Ji Hoo cut Grandfather off. "Excuse me, Grandfather, but I love and care deeply for Jan Di. I would never do anything to harm her in any way."

"Good," Grandfather leaned back. He crossed his arms, satisfied. "So, what exactly are your intentions for her?"

"My intentions?" He thought for a moment. "Well, in the short term, I intend to date her. Don't worry, I'll be a gentleman. And in the long term…" Ji Hoo paused. "…I intend to marry her."

If I can truly win her heart… If she would allow him, he wanted nothing more than to be with her forever.

Grandfather smiled widely, highly pleased with his grandson's response.


The months passed, and Jan Di and Ji Hoo began to realize how blissfully happy they could be together. Slowly all the bad things from the past were melting away, as they continued to get to know each other as a couple. They had become more open about it, holding hands in public, stealing a quick kiss here and there. They continued to spend most of their free time together, and they continued to support each other through medical school. Ji Hoo's white coat ceremony was approaching, and Jan Di was excited for him and for her own in the future. They studied together and talked about the ceremony, as Jan Di rested her head in Ji Hoo's lap on the couch. He d her forehead and placed a kiss on it.