Tabloid

Like the Lotus

Joon Pyo leaned back in his seat on the plane. He and Alex were heading back to New York after their successful business trip to Paris. Joon Pyo recalled the day. Alex had spontaneously decided to drag him all around the city of Paris prior to their flight. Why he had agreed? That was a mystery. Perhaps he'd gone soft. He'd fallen for her sob story of never having had the chance to enjoy any of her travels due to being stuck in a stuffy office or boardroom. So, he'd gone along with it. He'd accompanied her to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, all the touristy spots that she was able to jam into the remaining time they had there. He'd watched her smile and marvel at the sites with a childlike air. He'd been a child, too. He'd unsophisticatedly pouted over being forced to tour the city with her. He felt guilty for being there with her and not Jan Di. Alex hadn't seemed to notice, though. She simply enjoyed herself, as if it was the first time she'd ever had a day to spend for herself. He wondered if it was the first time. Had she been groomed only for business, as well? Had her life been as unhappy as his before meeting Jan Di? This revelation had given him the compassion to show her more patience and to even enjoy the day with her. At the end of the day, she'd thanked him, genuinely thanked him.

He'd been so occupied that he'd actually forgotten to text Jan Di back. He silently reprimanded himself and pulled out his phone to respond to her, just as he was asked extra politely to shut his phone off. He reluctantly put it away. Jan Di would understand.


The return flight was longer. Joon Pyo and Alex had finally arrived back in New York. They parted ways for the evening and Joon Pyo returned to his lavish New York penthouse. He returned Jan Di's message upon arrival. He assumed she would be getting up for the morning soon. Exhausted and jet-lagged, he laid down on his luxurious bed and fell asleep.

The next morning came swiftly. Joon Pyo woke, dressed, and took his morning coffee. His servant brought the several morning papers that he always requested. He turned to the business section. There was already a blurb about the upcoming merger between Shinwha and the Gyoh Group. As he read through his servant approached him.

"What is it?" He asked, not looking up.

"I thought you'd like to see this, sir." The servant bowed and handed him a tabloid magazine.

"I don't read this garbage," he began before noticing the picture on the cover.

"What the hell is this?" He demanded of no one in particular.

The front cover displayed a picture of himself and Alex Lee in an embrace with a tasteless title about romance above it. He recognized the scene and assumed it must have been when he'd prevented the inebriated Alex from falling. He flipped to the article and saw several other pictures of them in Paris. He didn't know how the pictures had been obtained, but when he found out heads would roll. He snatched his phone and called up Alex. She was aware of the article and sounded as appalled as him. They decided to meet at the office to strategize and determine if any damage control was needed.

Joon Pyo and Alex met with Mr. Shim and Joon Pyo's publicist. Mr. Shim glanced over the tabloid and his chin. "Hmm, I'm not very concerned about this."

"You're not concerned?" Joon Pyo questioned with a furrowed brow. "And you?" Joon Pyo turned to his publicist. "Did you have anything to do with this?"

The timid publicist stuttered that he didn't. "How did this happen?" Joon Pyo demanded and grabbed the publicist by the collar.

"Joon Pyo, stop it." Alex demanded in a calm, firm tone.

He released the publicist and took a breath. Apparently his temper was still very much alive and well within him.

"I really don't…know…how this happened, sir." The diminutive man protested.

Joon Pyo nodded.

"Joon Pyo, Alex. I don't think this is going to cause any damage. We'll keep tabs on it, but it may even help."

"What?" Joon Pyo questioned.

"It's publicity." Mr. Shim replied.

Joon Pyo stormed out of the office. Alex jogged as best she could in her heels to catch him. She reached out and grabbed him by the arm. He turned. "I don't like this." He barked.

"Neither do I, but there's nothing we can do about it now." He glared at her.

"I'm sorry, Joon Pyo. This is all my fault." She said, bowing her head slightly.

His impulse was to shout back at her that it was her fault, but he refrained. Instead he simply turned and walked off.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo walked to school together. Things had been uneasy between them lately, both weighted by heavy burdens. They walked together silently without looking at each other. Ji Hoo hated the wedge that had been slowly forming between them. He desperately wished for something to break down the wall. Jan Di had been increasingly avoidant and guarded around him. He didn't know how he could be her firefighter if she didn't allow him in. He could hear the emergency bell ringing loudly, but he was unable to locate the fire. It was killing him. He looked at her for a moment. She offered him a forced smile. They passed a market and decided to grab some drinks before school. Ji Hoo passed a newspaper rack. He noticed a tabloid. He blinked and picked up the tabloid.

Ji Hoo stared at a photo of Joon Pyo with his arms wrapped around another woman in disbelief. Surely this couldn't be real! He flipped through to the article and began to skim through skeptically. Jan Di returned a few minutes later holding up drinks for each of them. Ji Hoo quickly shoved the tabloid back into the rack and subtly moved to block it from view.

"What were you reading?" Jan Di looked at him curiously.

"Nothing."

"Ok…" Jan Di replied, suspiciously. She attempted to catch a glance behind him.

"Hey, we better go." He redirected with his best poker face.

"Wait a second. Why are you acting so weird?" She lightly nudged him to encourage him to move away from the magazine rack that he appeared to be guarding like the gates of hell. He reluctantly moved with a sigh.

Jan Di's jaw dropped upon seeing the magazine. She blinked several times and dubiously picked up the magazine for a closer look. Ji Hoo watched her. She looked through the pictures and read the article, still and in complete silence. Ji Hoo sighed and looked away, blinking. He shoved his hands into his pockets and waited for her to finish.

Jan Di finished reading and put the magazine back on the rack. She turned slowly and began to walk away without a word. Ji Hoo followed immediately. "Jan Di?" He called softly.

She continued walking, dazed.

"Jan Di." He grabbed her arm. She stopped, and he turned her toward him. "You can't believe everything you see in those magazines."

"I know." She said.

"I'm sure there's an explanation," he continued, defending his best friend.

"I know." She reiterated. "I trust Goo Joon Pyo." Her reply was sincere, yet sad.

Jan Di had never considered herself a jealous type, and she did trust Joon Pyo. But the article only served to remind her that she was here, and he was there.

"I guess he's getting along with his colleague OK after all." She spoke sullenly, her head down.

"Jan Di," he spoke her name in a firm but tender tone. She looked up at him.

"Do you remember when the article came out about Seo Hyun when we went to New Caledonia?"

She nodded.

"I had the same look as you. I was devastated. But I had reason to be concerned. You don't. There is no doubt in my mind that this story is completely unfounded. This is what the press does… Joon Pyo would never be unfaithful to you."

She nodded. "I know. It just caught me off-guard. …Thank you, Sunbae." His words were comforting, but the knot in her stomach remained.

He pulled her into a warm embrace. "…Joon Pyo…he loves you with all his heart. You mean everything to…him." He whispered against her, the words he longed to say for himself.

"Thank you, Sunbae." She whispered, feeling reassured but undeserving.


Jan Di had felt relieved to receive Joon Pyo's response to her text message. It had taken him awhile to get back to her, and he'd been less responsive lately. She assured herself that he was busy, and she hadn't wanted to disturb him. She always hesitated before contacting him, worrying that she'd be disturbing him in some way. And when they did talk, she felt pressured to come up with something really interesting to say. She felt self-conscious when the conversation would lag. The magazine had shaken her, but she trusted him. She debated on whether or not to even mention the ridiculous article to him.


Ji Hoo dialed Joon Pyo's number. He hadn't talked to his friend in a while and his curiosity had gotten the best of him. He was confident of Joon Pyo's loyalty, the loyalty that had been a blockade for him. But he would verify. He needed to.

Joon Pyo answered, "Yoboseyo."

"Ah, Joon Pyo." Ji Hoo greeted.

"Ji Hoo. How are you?" They exchanged pleasantries. Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo made idle conversation about business and Joon Pyo's life in the US. Ji Hoo noticed a hint of loneliness in his voice.

After exhausting the basics, Ji Hoo decided to get to the point of his call. "Joon Pyo, what's the deal with this article that came out in a tabloid?"

"Aish!" Joon Pyo exclaimed. He told his side of the story.

"I see." Ji Hoo replied. "I figured there was an explanation." Ji Hoo could understand such actions, but it wasn't like Joon Pyo, or at least not the old Joon Pyo.

"Jan Di saw it." Ji Hoo continued.

"What?!" Joon Pyo exclaimed.

"It's OK. She doesn't believe it. She trusts you."

Joon Pyo gave a sigh of relief. "OK, good." He paused. "Jan Di…are you watching out for her, Ji Hoo?"

Ji Hoo hesitated. Watching out? Yes, he supposed that could be the word for it.

"Yes." He replied simply.

"…Good." Joon Pyo replied. "Thank you, Ji Hoo."

"Mm." Ji Hoo uttered, bowing his head. He felt unworthy of Joon Pyo's thanks or his trust. Rather, he felt he deserved a fist to the face as punishment for his constant longing and tender moments shared with his best friend's girl. The worst part was that if she returned his affection in the slightest he knew he wouldn't be able to refuse her and would forever destroy his friendship. His only solace was that it would never happen, if that could be considered solace…

"You should call her. She could use hearing your voice." Was all he could say.


The relief that Ji Hoo felt over Joon Pyo's explanation of the tabloid story was short-lived. After ending their call, he felt completely horrible, as he had been feeling for awhile now. It was clear that nothing had changed. Joon Pyo's feelings for Jan Di remained as strong. And it appeared she felt the same. He hadn't actually expected anything to change. The problem was that his feelings hadn't changed either. They weren't going away. Any sane man would have thrown in the towel. He was a fool to imagine that all his patience and loving support would cause her to fall into his arms. Instead, he felt like the worst friend possible. Everyone's well-meaning advice kept reverberating in his head. Even Seo Hyun had weighed in on the situation.

Seo Hyun…she'd invited him up to her hotel room the night she arrived. Though she offered no promises, she made her interest in him known. He'd refused her. Turning her down had been easy, too easy. She hadn't promised to throw everything away for him and return to Korea, but it wouldn't have mattered. There was a time when he would have done anything for the chance to spend every waking moment possible with Seo Hyun. But now, he was too far gone.

So, they talked openly. Seo Hyun related her conversation with Jan Di before leaving for Paris. Ji Hoo admitted to overhearing part of it. She told him of the request she'd made of Jan Di, to make him smile again. Jan Di had fulfilled this promise with flying colors. His heart ached at hearing of Jan Di's passionate words. How could he have lost her?

The consensus and the rational choice was to put distance between Jan Di and himself. It was obvious that Jan Di did not feel for him what he did for her, and even clearer that Joon Pyo would never relinquish her. He was at a stalemate. Therefore, he could remain the ever faithful puppy or attempt to move on. He couldn't even imagine how to begin doing so.

He went to his desk drawer and pulled out a box. Inside the box were his memories of Jan Di: Photos from their mock wedding, a pamphlet from the art museum, ticket stubs from the acrobat show in Macau, the baseball game, and the movie, the mittens that he'd never returned to her, little notes she'd written to him, amongst other silly, sentimental things. He shuffled through the items and sighed. He picked up the wedding photos and flipped through them. He felt a single tear make its way down his cheek.

"Ok Joon Pyo, you win again…" He dejectedly said aloud, as he tucked the box safely away.