The match

Childhood friends

“Hey Kai still coming to the match on Saturday?” 
“Of course. I wouldn’t miss my last shot at soccer” 
“Good to hear”
They stay silent for a few seconds and Kris bites his lower lip, pacing around his room. 
Then Kai speaks “Any new about Tao?” 
Kris let out a sigh “No” The other one could hear the sadness in that one word. “I’m sure he’ll be back soon”
“I know… I know. See you tomorrow Kai” 
“Yeah” Kris let his phone fall onto the bed as he stared at the ceiling. He had so much to think about, that he didn't know where to start. Didn't know what to sort out first. 
If only he was here. If only he didn't need to go away. If only they could live a normal life, not having to fear the media. Why did Tao have to live this way? Why couldn’t they talk about it? Why was he such a coward?


“So use spring break to think about your education path okay?” Education path Kris repeated in his head. Hell No! He was gonna use spring break to hang out with his friends. Education could wait. 
He didn’t even know what he wanted to do, now that he thought about it. Many his age would already know what they’d study, or well what they’ve been told to study. Kris just wanted to play soccer for now.
“Soooooooo ready for spring break!!” Baekhyun’s voice sounded and an arm came around Kris’ shoulders “We still have a soccer match tomorrow Baek” Baekhyun let out a sigh “I know, I know mom” Kris snickered at the comment “Watch your mouth son” he said back and laughed with him.

As he walked back to his house he started to wander through memories.

Last year Tao also disappeared.
He left no trace of where he had gone. Kris actually doesn’t know where he went but had an idea he went the same place this time. 
Kris let out a sigh while he let the sun warm his body. He was tired, he hadn’t slept well because of the dreams lately, 
He thought of a few possibilities where Tao could be which were only old news as he had already thought them over before. Maybe he was just home? No, he would’ve known. 
Some kind of house they use in the summer? Maybe. 
But Kris wasn’t really much for those theories. 
Tao had earlier talked about his sister who lives far away from them, who he feels the safest with. 
She was older, way older than them and Tao rarely saw her, maybe a few times and that was it. Tao never mentioned anything else about her, name, age, where she lived. She was… “a secret” Tao had said “No one can know about her existence. You shouldn’t even know Kris, but I’m telling it to you because you’re my best friend” It had been one of those days where Tao just couldn’t bear with his life and needed to get everything off of his chest. Kris remembered how he sat all quiet and listened to this fragile boy spill his heart out. They sat for minutes under the stars in silence before Kris told Tao something just as secret as what he had said.

As it turned Saturday Kris still hadn’t heard anything from Tao, but he kept telling himself that “He’ll come soon, he’ll come don’t worry” and he kept believing that. 
He ran onto the field and looked at the sky while taking a deep breath. 
Tao may not be here but it didn’t change the fact that this was the last match in the season. Would they win or lose? Tao had gotten an important spot and now he wasn’t here to play it. 
“Kris it’ll be fine” a voice sounded behind him. He heard his footsteps near him and a hand was placed on his shoulder. Kai gave him a reassuring smile “We’ll do fine, you know that” Kris looked at him with a hint of doubt “I know, I’m just nervous, who’ll take Tao’s spot?” Kai had a thoughtful expression mixed with a bit of childish too.
“I don’t know, I think the captain and coach have chosen someone who’s almost as skilled as him. Maybe you or Sicheng” he let out a sigh “Come let’s go back, we are meeting soon” he clapped Kris on the shoulder before returning back to the locker room. Kris saw the benches fill up with audiences, mostly parents and siblings, some were friends of the players.

“Okay since we don’t have Tao today we’ll have Winwin fill in his place” The coach started out and looked upon the teen boys sitting on the benches “Kris, Taeyong you’ll cover where Sicheng can’t. Understood?” Kris and Taeyong both nodded “yeah” 
“Okay moving onto the tactics” The coach started explaining where to go and what to do and they sat in silence and memorized the plan. 
Hopefully, they’ll win today and win this season. 
“Ready?” The coach asked a few seconds before it started “yes!” They yelled and ran to their posts. 

Kris could see they were losing. Sicheng couldn’t keep up his pace, and Taeyong and Kris couldn’t cover him well enough.
“Kris come on!” Johnny yelled with frustration clear in his voice, as Kris was catching his breath.
Kris knew he couldn’t take a small break, they couldn’t afford it. 
The other team got chances of shooting goals and they’d have one if it wasn’t for Kai’s savings.
Kris ran towards his post, he could feel his energy disappearing, but there was still 7 minutes left of this half. 
7 deadly minutes. Maybe they’d lose, maybe in the next half they’ll get back on their feet or maybe it’s just going downwards from here on.

Kris observed the field, trying to come up with a strategy when he saw something that screamed danger loudly in his head “Taeyong watch out!” Kris yelled at the top of his lungs “WHAT?” Taeyong yelled back, an exhausted expression on his face. 
“BEHIND YOU!” 
But it was too late and Taeyong was thrown to the ground. 
“Kris ran towards the player who tackled Taeyong “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!” He yelled “Kris back off” Baekhyun called and grabbed him before he reached them. Kris looked at them, the coach gave the player a red card while another took Taeyong, who was right now laying on the ground with a bruise on his head and an ankle injury, away. 
Kris was filled with such rage, why would they do that? They were already winning! 
“Time out!” The judge yelled after the player, known as Jaebum, had gone off the field.
“Okay we have already lost one player and now another” their coach started out. 
They all noticed his distress while thinking about his next words. He walked in a small circle before turning to them “I honestly don’t know if we can make this” The coach had a depressed look on his face, one they had never seen. 
“I should have known they’d try to hurt us. It’s the South J.P high school” He let out a deep sigh before looking the boys deep in the eyes “They are brutal, Jaebum has been reported before, but they are still allowed in the league” again he let out a sigh “Just do your best you guys and have a great time okay?” He gave them a small smile “Right?” The boys felt a bit cheered up and yelled in unison “Yes!” Then they returned to the field for the last 5 minutes.

Even though they held their heads high, it wasn’t enough. They were down on 2 people, two posts. 
The pressure was put on both Kris and Johnny who now had to cover their own and Taeyongs post. 
But they did their best in the first half and the other team still hadn’t gotten a goal.
For now, mission accomplished.

“Guys this is actually getting better, we have a bit of hope because of the tackling that happened earlier, but that’s all I think. But if we can score on that, we’ll win” They nodded. Yes maybe they can do this, but J.P is still better than them. 
“But I think we gotta make some changes and I’ve been thinking about…” The coach continued talking but was suddenly cut by the sound of the door being opened. 
The team looked towards the open door 

“..Hey..” his small voice let out “Sorry for-“ 
“TAO” Kris ran to him and embraced him, while the others quickly followed. 
“Oh okay” Tao let out with a laugh, and even though Kris hated that fake laugh, he let it slide. 
The room was suddenly filled with hope, excitement and willpower. They yelled as they celebrated what could be their victory. 
“Tao! It’s amazing you’re here! We need you!” Johnny yelled at him, Tao laughed “I’m sorry I didn’t come earlier” 
While Tao got briefed by the coach, Kris stood in the back and watched as an uncomfortable feeling crept up on him. The feeling and thought of how Tao is “normal” again as if nothing is wrong. He tried to shake the thought away, but the feeling stayed.

“Okay let’s do this!” Tao yelled as they went out on the field. There wasn’t much noise until the students in the audience noticed who walked in with them. Tao walked with a smile, but something about him seemed uneasy Kris thought. Something he wouldn’t tell him. 
“Can they do that?” A player from the other team asked the judge “Well you just had to cut them another player” he answered and walked away. 
“You’ll do fine” Kris told Tao before we walked to his post as Tao went to the middle. 
“Long time no see Tao” his opponent Jae said when they stood in front of the ball. Tao shrugged “I guess”



When the bell rang, they all froze for a minute. Looking around from wherever they may be “Eastern S high school has won this seasons tournament” 
The team started yelling, the audience clapped and Tao was surrounded by his team. 
It felt amazing to have done something great. To finally have won the tournament, it’s been a couple of years since they won and it made him happy that he was a part of it.

“Let’s go eat everyone!!!” The captain Chanyeol yelled “Yes!!!!” Everyone yelled and off they went.

There was a great mood in the restaurant as they ate and talked about the victory today “I hope Taeyong will be fine soon so he can join after spring break” Tao said as he leaned his head on his hand “Yeah, I hope some good players join too now that we’ve graduated” Chanyeol let out and turned the meat on the grill “Yeah let’s hope so” Baekhyun let out a sigh.
“Well hopefully you’ll have a great captain next year,” Chanyeol said with a smile and hit Tao on the shoulder while the others laughed “Ah I don’t think I’m gonna be the captain though..” He looked into his bowl before looking up again with a sigh “Do you think that?” The table looked at him “Yes of course. If it wasn’t for you, we would have lost today!” Ten said “Yep” Yuta and Winwin agreed “That’s not true” Tao kept denying it which made Kris happy somewhat. Tao wasn’t acting too “normal” meaning the real Tao was back, a smile crept onto his face and leaned back into his chair and watched the team have fun. Next year Chanyeol, Kai and Ten wouldn’t be here, two have graduated and one will change club. Hopefully, some first years with talent will join “Oh come on Tao!” Johnny yelled at him “You are good enough, right Kris?” Krus woke up from his trance “What?” He answered and the table started laughing at him “You agree that Tao can become the captain next year right?” Kris shifted from Johnny to Tao who stirred in his bowl of noodles “Yeah of course” Tao’s small eyes widened, but not so everyone could see it. It was small and secretive and enough to get Kris to be annoyed and confused. 
“See?” Johnny said to Tao, who now lifted his head and smiled “Yeah I guess so”

“What a great night. I really hope that next year will be as great as this don’t you?” Tao was walking a few meters in front of Kris but turned around “Yeah, of course, I hope that, but it won’t be the same in the club, though” Tao shrugged “Doesn’t matter, does it? We’ll probably meet them sometime in life again” They were walking back to Kris’ house from the restaurant, and the night was warm. Tao closed his eyes for a minute and took in the atmosphere of the night “So nice” he mumbled. 

Suddenly a sound of sobbing got him curious, he looked into a sideways to see if it was there. 
There were no one there, but that’s where the sound came from “Kris wait for a second” Kris looked at him wait a raised eyebrow “What’s up?” 
Tao shifted his look from Kris to the street “I just gotta check something” he said and disappeared. 
He walked fast, the sound of talking and sobbing getting closer. The voices sounded familiar, who could it be? He turned a corner, froze and backed away watching from behind. 
Chanyeol and Baekhyun. 
Baekhyun was crying and Chanyeol was holding his head in hands wiping away his tears “I’m sorry Baekhyun, I’m really sorry” Baekhyun looked up at him with glassy eyes “it’s gonna be so lonely Chanyeol. You can’t leave” he said and broke into tears again “I’m sorry, it’s only a year okay? I’ll be back before you know it okay?” He said and gave Baekhyun a smile, which he returned “Okay” Chanyeol proceeded to embrace Baekhyun and kiss his forehead.


                                                  He quietly followed him, but stopped far behind him, wondering what he had seen.