Friends change

Childhood friends

 

 

A/N:  So I was checking things out and with the way, things are going currently, the chances of Taoris = 0, so buckle up. Things are gonna change


Pl-please” he cried into the phone, watching as it would turn on and display the background of him and Kris “Pl-please” he cried out again cradling it in his hands as he laid curled up on the floor “Please don’t hate me” he pleaded “please don’t” 

He ended up calling the one person who he knew could comfort him. He watched it ring the other up as he laid beside on the floor, tears still falling 

Hey, what’s up?” but as the other heard no answer and the cries he continued “Tao?

Tao, what’s wrong?” 

Ple-please” he cried “Ple-please come” he continued

“Tao, what’s going on?” 

Ple-please come” he pleaded 

Tao?!” 

What if he knows?” Tao cried

“What do you mean?!” 

What if he knows about me?”

Wh-what if Kris knows?!” 

Ple-please Sehun” 

Please come” 

Tao-”

Please!”

I need you” 

I- Okay, I’m coming” 

He then spent the night cradled in Sehun’s arms as the other tried to comfort him, whispering sweet nothing in his ear.

 

He didn’t confront Kris the next day as he said he would, still not over what he had gone through the day before. 

Sehun had given him a ride to school that day, still worried as he watched his friend step soulless out of the car.

Tao” he called, and the other turned to him with lifeless expression, causing Sehun’s worry to grow even more “Please take care” he spoke, taking ahold of his hand “Mhm” Tao muttered and left.

Today he was the one who was down and awfully quiet, while his friends were happy as if all of their burdens had transferred to Tao “What’s wrong Tao?” Baekhyun asked immediately as the Chinese male stepped into the classroom. He ignored Baekhyun because he had no words to speak, no energy to explain what was wrong, what did it matter? 

"Tao don’t be like that” Baekhyun spoke as he got up and went to Tao at his desk “Weren’t you the one who wanted us to open up yesterday? Even though we didn’t want to?” all Tao did was sink into his seat in guilt. Yes, yes he did have them open up and now he didn’t. It’s kind of hypocritical. 

Baekhyun lets out a soft sigh as he leans on Tao’s desk “Do I really have to force Johnny in here and force you to talk?” 

No” Tao answered softly “I just need to think it through…” he elaborated “We’re here for you okay?” Baekhyun spoke as he ruffled Tao’s hair “Yeah”

 

At practice, everyone could feel something was wrong, but no one wanted to pry into the captain’s business. Only Johnny and Baekhyun tried to make him talk about it as the other members went through different exercises.

Kris didn’t confront him either. He only threw some worried glances at the other once in a while, but never actually went over to ask his best friend what was wrong. It’s not like Tao is acknowledging his existence either. He hasn’t spoken to him, even though he scolded him yesterday. 

Something is off with Tao, there has always been something off with him, and to not know what is going on or how he can help, it hurts.

 

Sehun picked Tao up after practice as he was too worried about him, and seeing that his mood hadn’t changed since morning, he was happy he picked Tao up “How are you?” he asked as the other got in the car “Okay” he replied “You don’t sound okay” 

I’m okay” he answered again, not facing Sehun though, but looking out of the window. Sehun let out a sigh, seeing how the other tried to convince himself that he was okay 

If you say so” he mumbled and started the car. 

 

The next few days Tao’s friends kept pushing him about his problem even though he didn’t want to, but he had been pushing them as well. At lunch, he would sit with Johnny and Baekhyun, who held conversations with him even if he didn’t join it. 

He matched the rest of the table though. 

Mark still acted off and would zone out at times, though he still laughed and talked with the rest. Taeyong and Doyoung still didn’t talk to each other, which was okay, because they weren’t that close, to begin with, and both were professional enough to still work as a team on the field. 

Taeyong even began to talk to Johnny again, seems like Johnny had gone to apologize or the other way around, Tao didn’t really care who had apologized as long as they were okay again, because Tao wasn’t okay.

He kept thinking what if Kris really knew, and what if that’s why they are falling apart? 

Maybe it was about time for it anyway. Tao was slowly moving on anyway and he had other friends besides Kris, and Sehun was slowly becoming someone close to him as well. 

After school, he decided to go to a place he hadn’t been to for a while, and he felt guilty for that because he knew he could let loose and just forget everything while being there, so even though he was anxious as he opened the door to the fitness center, he was also relieved “It’s been a while Tao” A voice greeted as soon as he stepped in and he turned to see Jinki stand with crossed arms “Hey” he greeted back “Been busy” He hurriedly explained “Right” Jinki spoke, “Something is wrong, right?” 

Tao fell quiet because yes, there’s something wrong but he doesn’t want to impose it on Jinki, not when it’s the same problem as usual “Yeah” he replied anyway “I think there’s some anxiety” he let out and Jinki nodded in response “Okay if you need anything, you know where to find me” 

Tao nodded and went to his private section.

 

Johnny, what’s going on with Tao?” 

Kris had pulled Johnny aside after their practice “I don’t know” Johnny answered only to be slammed into the wall behind him by an angry Kris “Don’t lie to me” he spoke 

I’m not” Johnny tried to defend “He didn’t wanna talk about it” 

Kris let go of the other and stepped back in silence “I think you need to tell him” Johnny spoke, watching the other stand in a mix of confusion and despair.

So he can hate me and run to you?” Kris shot back, and Johnny’s fists clenched. He’s trying to help! “Even if you don’t tell him, he’s already running towards me” 

Kris glared at him, tempted to slam him into the wall again “So just ing tell him. What the do you have to lose anyway?” Johnny taunted, walking away, done with Kris who didn’t move, because what was actually at stake? 

He decides to talk to him the next day, at least that was the plan, but as he stepped out of his house in the morning to walk to school with him, he froze. He watched Tao step out of his house and walk towards a sleek black car parked by the street, not even aware of Kris’ presence. 

He managed to catch the silhouette of the person who picked him up, a young guy with blonde hair, and a school uniform. 

He started to move again when the black car was out of sight. 

 

When he stepped into the classroom he immediately went to Johnny “We need to talk” he spoke with hostility in his voice and Johnny looked up at him “Mhm” and went back to scrolling on his phone.

When it turned to lunch it was almost as usual, almost. Why? Because of 3 persons who were missing “Where’s Johnny and Kris?” Baekhyun asked Tao who only shrugged, too distracted to start thinking about why. Kris didn’t make sense anymore, so it’s better to just not think about it. 

He doesn’t even understand why Johnny would be with him if what he thought was true. He didn’t want to think about it, so he directed his attention to something else “Where’s Mark as well?” He gestured towards the empty seat 

Oh, that’s weird” 

 

You said you wouldn’t leave me” Mark’s shaky voice cut through as he grabbed the other’s wrist. It caused the other’s heart to break, hearing Mark’s voice after so long. 

You said you wouldn’t leave” he repeated as the silence became unbearable for him. Hyuck could hear his voice break, but he closed his eyes and told himself to move away from Mark, but he couldn’t “I’m sorry” 

I’m sorry Hyuck” The words only stung, what was he sorry for? Pretending to love him? For having it his way? For hating him, when Mark was like him? Tears started to sting in his eyes, and his eyes were still “What” Hyuck let out “What are you sorry for?” he continued with an edge. Mark didn’t answer for a while, and Hyuck thought it meant that the conversation was over, but when he tried to pull away, Mark’s grip tightened “For...everything” Hyuck started chuckling “For everything?” 

He finally turned around to face the other, and even though he was frustrated and angry at the other, his heart broke as he saw Mark stand with teary eyes, and a trembling lower lip “I’m sorry” Mark let out again, not knowing how to explain himself “If you wanna become strangers now, it’s okay” he said, causing Hyuck to freeze in shock, where did that come from? Mark just told him not to leave, and even though he just the opposite, his body language showed Mark’s true feelings; the hurt in his eyes as he painfully closed them for a moment, and the tears falling. The tight grip on Hyuck’s wrist was a cry of desperation “I just I love you” Mark whispered, head turned downwards “I’m so sorry for what I did” 

I didn’t mean to hurt you. I crossed the line” Hyuck didn’t say anything. He didn’t know what to say, whether to forgive him or not, because wouldn’t it be too easy to forgive him? His mind thought so, but his heart broke at the thought. 

Please say something” he whispered in a strained voice, but no words left Hyuck’s mouth.

I don’t know what to say” He finally answered, and Mark raised his head to catch Hyuck’s eyes. 


 

Is the guy who’s picking up and dropping off Tao, the same guy from the party?” 

Yes,” Johnny answered without hesitation. What was the point in hiding it from Kris when he wouldn’t do anything about it? 

Kris’ eyes stared back at him as he turned to face him, in shock of the honesty Johnny let out “What?” Johnny asked with a raised eyebrow. 

Your honesty surprised me” Kris commented as he leaned onto his desk “Well I’m not really that bad of a person” Johnny informed which caused Kris to snicker “Right” he spoke with a small smile. Johnny rolled his eyes at this “Well what are you gonna do now?” 

Kris shrugged, he didn’t really know because what could he do? Confront Tao about it? 

So nothing?” Johnny let out a sigh and sat down on his desk “What do you expect me to do? I can’t do anything can I?” 

"Why do you even want to help me?" Kris questioned, "Weren't you the one who hated my guts a few weeks ago?" Johnny didn't answer and shrugged his shoulders 

Then…” Johnny started out “How about helping me?” Kris looked at him, and Johnny took it as a sign to continue "As a way of returning the favor?" Kris nodded lazily "What do you need?" 

Johnny turned his head away from Kris and was silent for a moment “Remember what happened at the party?”

 


"I'm not asking you to tell me who it is, I just, but it's a friend of ours isn't it?" 

"Yes" 

"Are they okay?" 

"..." 

"Are they okay?!" 

"Mostly, yes" 

"What do you mean mostly?" 

"Please calm down. If it helps, they're not angry nor do they hate you. Taeyong's reaction towards it is because of that. Because they don't hate you even though they should" 

"..." 

"He doesn't want you to know because they'll forgive you too easily if you apologize okay?" 

"Okay"