Love is... complicated...

Childhood friends

 

 

Kai stepped down the hallway, almost bouncing down the hall, knowing what awaits him at the dance room.

At the same time, Johnny was walking down another hallway, his feet slowly, but energetic knowing Tao had information about the gala a few nights ago.

And Yuta was waiting for Sicheng at the entrance to the school, so they could talk on their way.

 

While our characters above were all in love, deeply, Baekhyun laid in bed, heartbroken since Chanyeol never texted or called him back.

His room was dark, and he hadn’t left for school, all he did was stare at his phone waiting for a sign of life from Chanyeol, but that never came. Every day he waited for Chanyeol to text him, tell him about his life in America, but he never wrote. At first, he thought it might have been because of the time difference, and he’d stay awake at night, and Chanyeol would write back, until the day he didn’t.

 

It was a month after school had started again, and he laid awake one night as he always did, though Tao and Yuta had been at his throat telling him “You should sleep” “You look like a dead body” whenever he came to school.

He was waiting for Chanyeol to reply to his message a simple “Hey bae <3” but he waited, hour after hour.

It turned 2:00, then 3:00, and Baekhyun gave up. If he ended up texting him, he’d see it in the morning.

 

It was now 2 months after that, and Chanyeol hadn’t replied him, and there he laid in his bed, ditching school, ditching his friends for a guy who didn’t even care about him. Yeah, he had actually come to that conclusion, that Chanyeol didn’t care about him, and had already planned to end it when he traveled to America.

He just didn’t understand why they were happy and in love, Chanyeol had told him so often he loved him, and Baekhyun too.

Why? He thought and let the silent tears stream down his face, as he clutched his pillow in his hands.

The tears became sobs that drowned together with the rain outside of his window. The phone he had thrown to the other side of his bed suddenly rang, but Baekhyun didn’t jump to answer it thinking it was Chanyeol. No.

He knew it wasn’t Chanyeol, and even if it was, he didn’t want to talk to him. It stopped ringing, but then started again, and Baekhyun turned to face the other way, not wanting to see the screen that kept lighting up his dark room.

At the 5th call though, he turned and looked at his phone, looking at the caller id: Tao. He contemplated for a moment whether or not he should answer it. He didn’t feel like answering it but the guilt already formed in his stomach for ignoring his calls, and he ended up answering with a tired “Yeah?”

"Baek! It’s Johnny and me, come down and let us in. We're pretty worried about you” 

"And it's pouring down!" Baekhyun heard Johnny's voice yell in the background. He went silent for a moment, so silent Tao started worrying even more “Fine” he said and hung up, making his way up from his bed, knowing very well he looked like the dead.

"Baekhyun!” Tao let out as he opened the door, and he was really considering shutting it again. He was not in the mood for happiness “Are you okay?” Johnny asked “No, I’m not” Baekhyun let out. He moved away from the door, and let the two inside “Can’t really hide I’m not okay” he let out with a sigh and proceeded to walk to his room and lay down under the covers on his bed.

"What happened?” Tao asked as the two sat on Baekhyun’s bed “I… I think I’ve been dumped” he spoke, and the tears started again “What?!” Tao said, and made eye contact with Johnny “Well, I believe so. He hasn’t called or texted me for months, so I guess this is his way of ending it”

"What the hell!” Johnny snapped “That’s the worst!” He kept spitting negativities out while Tao went to cuddle Baekhyun. They had been together for so long and Tao couldn’t believe Chanyeol would do something so heartless.

"You know… I waited up every night, getting minimum sleep, just to text to him, and he suddenly decides I’m not worth it anymore”

"It’s not okay, at all. No one should treat you like that” He assured Baekhyun in a soothing voice.

"Now I don’t know a lot about love, but I believe you’ll find someone who’ll love you better than him, well someone you deserve”

"You don’t understand it, Tao, it’s not like he was a bad person, or lover or anything. I deserved him, he deserved me. It’s this that hurts. He’s not a bad person…”

"Are you sure?” Johnny asks, filled with rage “Yes. I am sure” Baekhyun answers Johnny with a glare.

The three of them ends up eating chocolate and sleeping over at Baekhyun’s house, not wanting him to go through a heartbreak alone.

 

"You still haven’t told me what happened at the gala Tao” Johnny spoke from Tao’s bed the next day.

Most of them had gathered, that being Baekhyun, Yuta, and Sicheng. Kai was supposed to be there too so that they could ask him about why he never sits with them anymore, but he canceled on them, not giving a reason as to why.

Tao felt his cheeks heat up, as he recalled the night he had spent with Sehun “What’s so exciting about his gala?” Sicheng asked and Johnny immediately smirked “Johnny! Don’t you dar-”

"I got Tao stoned before he left for his gala” He said and Tao facepalmed, while the rest was shocked “WHAT?!” They voiced in unison, and Sicheng started scolding Johnny in a low voice, telling him how bad it would be if anybody found out!

"You’re kidding me right?” Baekhyun said and Tao shook his head “No, it’s true” He said and went to sit down on his bed as well, his homework forgotten “You idiot” Sicheng spoke “Shhh, you don’t get me” Tao let out “Anyway tell us!!” Yuta yelled in excitement “Okay” Tao started out “So, my dad didn’t catch me, I guess he didn’t notice I was stoned, lol. But then I’m  meeting this girl I’m ing engaged to!” he said “What the ” Sicheng spoke “Gotta hate the business world” he let out and shook his head lightly 

"Yep. me!” Tao spoke, and the others nodded in agreement “Then we move on, and I meet this really really good looking guy!” Tao can feel himself getting more and more excited together with the others “Oh my god!!! Who?! What did he look like!?!” Johnny yelled at him “Well he’s the son of my dad’s business partner and like oh my god! He was tall and had broad shoulders, but his gaze was so cold. Like, it freaked me out!”

Oh my god” Baekhyun spoke “Well, our fathers left, and he ing knew I was stoned and I was like '' inside. But well he asked me if I wanted to get some food and I was like ‘Sure’” While talking about the experience with Sehun, he noticed the others expressions. Yuta was really excited, the same with Baekhyun. Sicheng looked like he didn’t care, but Tao could see he was interested, and Johnny. Johnny was holding a pillow, just from pure excitement “So for some reason, he starts walking to his apartment and I start staring at a poster, to my defense the male model was hot, and he’s like ‘I know him. I can introduce you’ and I’m like ‘oh okay’ on the outside-”

"YOU CAN MEET A MALE MODEL!?!?” Yuta freaked out, as he yelled the words “WHO IS IT TAO!?”

"IS HE GAY?” Johnny yelled after Yuta had stopped yelling “Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. Yeah, the guy is gay- I don't know if the model is though if that's what you wanted to know. But the guy, he really gets me” Tao didn’t notice the dark look in Johnny’s eyes, as he saw him smile at the words “He gets me”

 

"But well I don’t really know the model, and the guy, well I’ll tell you later-”

"It’s gotta be good Taozi” Baekhyun spoke “Of course” Tao spoke with a smirk “So we get to his apartment, and well he hands me a glass of whiskey, and one for himself, and then he ing starts hitting on me!”

"What?” Sicheng says in disbelief “No kidding?” and Tao shook his head trying to hide his smile “No kidding”

"Well, I’m like ‘I have someone I like’ and he’s just like ‘so do I’ and well I don’t really know what onwards, but it was good” he paused for a bit “Well what happened? Did you do it?” Yuta asked, and Tao heated up slightly before nodding “WHAAAAT” Johnny yells and Baekhyun’s mouth is wide open “Here I was, thinking you’d never have unless it was Kris” he said.

"Well, that would have been the plan, but well now I’ve got someone who wants to have with me”

"Who is it!?!?” Yuta asks through gritted teeth “It was ing Oh Sehun!” Tao says, and the four goes quiet, probably in shock “Are you ing with me right now?” Yuta asks “No he’s obviously ing with Sehun” Sicheng says in return, to which Yuta rolls his eyes “You should be happy I love you” he says before turning back to Tao “No, but really, are you ing kidding me?”

"No, I’m really not. My fathers business partner turned out to be Oh Hyeongso, Oh Sehun’s dad”

"Holy Tao” Baekhyun speaks “You’re living the life”

"So Oh Sehun is really gay?” Johnny speaks “Yep”

"But he’s not Luhan’s boyfriend?” Yuta speaks “I guess not” Tao says “All I know is that he has someone he likes, and it’s not me”

"Are you sure?” Baekhyun speaks “Yeah, we’re just distractions” Tao answered “What do you mean?” he asked again “Well it's just something we do to escape our lives I believe, it’s not like we’ve started dating just because we had ” he said with a shrug “So you were there so he could have a good time? Why do I feel like I’ve just been used though it’s Tao who was with him?” Baekhyun said “He didn’t use me- well kind of, but I used him too, I used him to forget my feelings for Kris”

"I guess that’s true”

"But are you sure?” Johnny’s deep voice suddenly spoke, “What do you mean?”
“Are you sure it wasn’t just a one-time thing and he’s gonna get your hopes up only to ruin them?” Tao scoffed at Johnny, he didn’t know Sehun, but neither did Tao, well he knew him better than Johnny “Yes! He was still there when I woke up, he didn’t leave, he treated me as an equal!” Tao snapped at him “He made me feel loved, okay? I really clicked with him because he understands this life, and I don’t care if he loves someone else, because I love someone else, and we just feel comfortable with each other. He’s not like you think, okay? He's not a common boy”

"Okay, okay” Johnny spoke “Just don’t want you to end up in a bad situation”

"It’s okay, I get it, don’t worry, I won’t”


 

"There he is again, ignoring us completely” Baekhyun said with a glare “Come over here you traitor!” he spoke and stabbed his rice at the same time “Dude. Calm down” Mark spoke “If Kai wants to sit with someone else, he’s free to do so” He said, and carefully placed a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder “What’s going on?” Taeyong asked as he sat down beside Baekhyun, who was still stabbing his rice “Baekhyun is pissed that Kai sits with what’s supposedly the music club, instead of sitting with us” Tao spoke “Oh!” Taeyong let out suddenly and the three turned to look at him ”What do you know Taeyong?” Baekhyun snapped at him and the handsome guy went silent “Well, Jaehyun told me- well he thinks Kai likes Do Kyungsoo, the guy with big eyes”

"I was right!” baekhyun growled, “That traitor chose hoes before bros!”

"Hey! Kyungsoo is not a hoe!” Sicheng’s voice sounded a few seats down the table, the four looked at him “Ugh” baekhyun said and rolled his eyes “I get that, but why does he need to take away our Kai~”

"Get yourself together Baekhyun, there are other members you haven’t even talked to yet!” Taeyong threw at him “Like who?” he asked “Like Yukhei, Doyoung, and Taeil. Basically, the new blood and you haven’t talked to them yet” Tao finished for Taeyong, who nodded in agreement “Okay, I’ll talk to them after practice tomorrow” the others rolled their eyes “I’ll let you off because you’re heartbroken” Tao whispered in Baekhyun’s ear.

"But, you’re okay with this?” Tao asked as he turned to Taeyong who shrugged “Yeah, who cares, it’s their choice, and you know, Ten is gay too”

"What?!” Baekhyun and Tao shouted at him “Yeah, he told me last year, did you really not notice?” Taeyong said with a cocked eyebrow and the two shook their head. None of them had actually noticed it, but it made sense.

The three hadn’t noticed that Mark was quiet, too quiet. They were too busy talking to Taeyong about Ten, that they hadn’t noticed that the boy had left the table. “Stereotype one about soccer players proved wrong” Sicheng said, as he joined their conversation... again! The three looked at him shortly before turning back.

 

"Why didn’t he tell us?” Baekhyun asked he flopped onto Tao’s bed “I don’t know man”

"We’re like, a part of the gays on the soccer team here!” baekhyun let out again “I still don’t have an answer for that, so just leave it”
“I must say I’m surprised that Taeyong is so chill with it. It’s cool”

"Yeah”

The silence crept slowly inside and filled the room. The two boys knew they both had unanswered questions that they didn’t know how to ask.

After a while, staring at the ceiling, and turning around in circles on a chair, one of them suddenly asked: “Do you think Taeyong dated Ten?” Tao’s small voice let out “What?!” Baekhyun answered, with a laugh, it’s not like he hadn’t thought about it, it just sounded stupid when you said it out loud “You.. you think?” He asked after a while after “Well, why else would he just know it?” Tao let out, and the silence fell between them again “Just… how many of the guys we know are gay?” Baekhyun let out.


"Hey Mark!" a voice sounded behind him, but he didn't even flinch at it, he just kept on walking "Hey Mark wait up!" the voice sounded again, and when its hand made contact with his shoulder, he shrugged it off, threw a look at its owner, and walked off "What the hell?" Taeyong asked himself, as he watched the boy disappear from his sight "Don't worry about him, he's just him whenever he's faced with... something" a high pitched voice sounded behind him. He turned around and met a boy, a bit smaller than him "Haechan" Taeyong spoke "I just.." he let out, and Haechan could hear his distress "He's been acting weird lately since...- I just wanted to talk to him" he said, and ruffled his hair "Did you tell him about you and Ten?" the other asked "No... not exactly- there's no reason to dig up the past, but I might have mentioned Ten.." the younger boy thought for moment "Well, maybe he's just distressed, because he's him. You know what he's like. When he found out about me, he didn't want to be near me for weeks!" Haechan spoke, and Taeyong nodded "I know, I just don't want him to be weird around the others though-" 

"-He doesn't know does he?" 

"He doesn't" 

"Then let Mark be. You know what's like. He's too much... him and is probably confused by the news of his close friends being gay. He'll get over it" he said, and gave Taeyong's shoulder a squeeze, before moving on. Taeyong let out a deep breath before moving away from his spot, and towards the music room.